Study suggests most of Japan not bonkers over iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 163
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You really are too much.

Along with unlocking it, the trick is to offer free worldwide shipping as it entices buyers from the 175 countries that won't get a 3G iphone come July 11th and the 120 that have no current plans to get one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But, Disneyland in Japan is still Disneyland, and Mcdonalds still offers the MacDonalds experience. The same with Apple and the iPhone.

And there will be different programs in different languages, with different isp's offering different services.

My point was that they aren't trying to show horn the American product into other cultures, just their American business model, which apparently works for all cultures with an emerging or established middle class.

Apple has historically tried to shoehorn many of products and they hate having to differentiate their HW. I bet Jobs hate that that different countries have different keyboards. If OLED keyboards become viable I think they will be the first onboard to use them.

I think the iPhone will be a relative success in Japan. Japan is one of the most established markets and the iPhone is missing some key HW features that seem to interest the Japanese, but the touchscreen, as we know, offers countless possibilities for any culture... assuming that the software for Asian characters was developed well.

I wonder if, like in the US, the iPhone was the smartphone for everyone else. We hear a lot of talk about how advanced and complex these phones are but I suspect they might have a significant population that want something simple to use.
  • Reply 82 of 163
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

The sooner people understand that the iPhone is not so much a cell phone or smart phone as it is a mobile computing platform with smart phone capabilities, then the sooner will they realize how much Apple has changed the game and that no one out there has all the skill components (software, hardware, brick&mortar retail savvy, online retail savvy, networking, and the all-important cool factor) that are needed to come up with a product that can compete with the iPhone. No one, nada, nicht. Not Nokia, not RIM, not Microsoft, not even Google. Not Sony, not Samsung, not LG, not Moto, not Donner, nor Blitzen.

David Pogue wasn't exaggerating when he said the iPhone 3G and iPhone 2.0 are big. Like really big. I mean bigger than the fat-lady-who-sings-at-the- end-of-the-show big.

My exact sentiment. I believe the right questions were not asked and more info on the softwares given such the written character recognition instead of type and it is also a game machine.

Let see what happen when the iPhones go on sale in Japan.
  • Reply 83 of 163
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,687member
    that I don't give a crap! Studies, polls, analysts, speculators, be damned. The real truth will come in time.
  • Reply 84 of 163
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    This survey was conducted before WWDC and the official announcement of the iPhone 3G and its price. If the survey were conducted now, surely things will have changed

Radio and TV tuners aren't really needed if you have unlimited Internet access. I stream video and audio on my iPhone all the time.
  • Reply 85 of 163
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by candlegravity View Post

Hey guys, I see I'm not the only one from the states living in Japan. One difference is I may have been here longer. Anyway, I can tell you that the single most important reason that Japanese are not apenuts about this new phone is that 3G technology was released in Japan 8 years ago! I moved here in 99' and it was release in 2001. From my personal perspective, Apple will have to make bigger leaps in technology in order to capture the Japanese audience. Kenwood released perhaps the first touch screen keitai (cell-phone) here in 2000. It was so cool looking and gained popularity, but soon many became frustrated trying to convert hiragana (1/3 used alphabets in Japanese) into kanji using a screen that often mis-read it's users inputs. I know Apple has done a lot to try and fix this problem, but I have to say that the current OS system will not work and I think it will bomb here as the large majority of the iPhones features have been prevalent in phones here for the past 6-8 years. Current phones here almost always include the following features.

-Digital television reception (wide-screen VGA)

-Video Conference Calling

-Instant skype-like text messaging

-Digital radio

-3MegaPixel~6.5MegaPixel cameras

-Cell Mail / Regular E-mail with no length limits & attachments

-Fully functioning web browsers (generally Opera) not all deal with Flash well...

-Music players (some only able to use their proprietary format which is probably Apples biggest plus at this point)

-3D games, PDF viewing, etc

I still may get an iPhone myself as I'm a MP3 maniac and don't want to charge my player and phone separately everyday, but as for the masses, I don't think the iPhone will have much appeal. Especially since they are going with a cheap looking plastic back cover. WTH is up with that?? I thought Apple announced that it will look to discontinue using plastics as they are bad for the environment? Huh. All in all I'd have to say the new iPhone is a big thumbs down. I will say that it seems like a pretty big improvement over that big, ugly brick Americans call a blackberry. Jesus what a joke that thing is. Looks like something designed in the 50's as being futuristic. At the very least, Apple has some idea of what can be manufactured using modern day materials and technology and may just pick up a few users here in Japan, albeit mostly American living in Japan! ;D

What you're not saying is that it took years after 3G was available to get the Japanese consumer to even look at a 3G phone. To keep costs down, consumers were texting. they had no interest in using the much more expensive 3G services the carriers were trying to sell. 3G has only become popular a short time ago, about the same time it began to become more popular here.
  • Reply 86 of 163
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The HW issues*, like the camera Mpx, and the OS X iPhone system issues, like the inability to cut an paste, maybe a turn off, but mobile TV can be had by a 3rd-party app on the device.

* The Japanese seem to really buy on specs, not on usability, so the lack of HSUPA may be a turn off despite Japan just starting to roll it out this month.

When DoCoMo rolls out these phones for the Japanese public, there will be no reason for a Japanese cellphone user to even consider an iPhone. The specs/features of some of these handsets are almost unbelievable. I don't know how useful all the features are or if the average person can master using all the features, but for a person that's willing to sit down and learn, these Japanese handsets are incredible. I honestly didn't think you could put so many features in a small, handheld device:

http://wirelesswatch.jp/2008/05/27/d...-new-handsets/

So, no matter how good the iPhone 3G is, it just won't even be considered by hardcore Japanese users. The DoCoMo handsets are too versatile to consider anything less. My opinion is just theoretical based on a strictly feature basis. Maybe the iPhone will have mass appeal based on some coolness factor. I wouldn't count on it, though.
  • Reply 87 of 163
    Quote:

My point was that they aren't trying to show horn the American product into other cultures, just their American business model, which apparently works for all cultures with an emerging or established middle class.

Apple has historically tried to shoehorn many of products and they hate having to differentiate their HW. I bet Jobs hate that that different countries have different keyboards. If OLED keyboards become viable I think they will be the first onboard to use them.

I think the iPhone will be a relative success in Japan. Japan is one of the most established markets and the iPhone is missing some key HW features that seem to interest the Japanese, but the touchscreen, as we know, offers countless possibilities for any culture... assuming that the software for Asian characters was developed well.

I wonder if, like in the US, the iPhone was the smartphone for everyone else. We here a lot of talk about how advanced and complex these phones are but is there a population that want something simple to use?

Most Japanese and European manufacturers do the same thing to us. They give us products that aren't designed specially for the US market. I see that all the time.

With the iPhone it's less of a problem, as so much of the phone can be morphed into whatever is needed. As some others have pointed out here, most features on Japanese phones are little used, or not used at all.

As has also been pointed out, Japanese manufacturers are scrambling to come out with lookalikes to the iPhone. They can't really reproduce one, of course, because they would need the far more complex OX, which will take years to program.

I'm not so sure the Japanese will reject the iPhone out of hand. It was predicted that the iPod would never get more than a decent minority percentage in Japan either. But shortly after the iTunes store opened up, it zoomed to the top, shocking everyone there.

I suspect that the iPhone has just enough features to do well, and with the store, and programs, the Japanese may very well find that even more appealing than the myriad of useless buttons and non understandable features some of the phones they are now buying come with.

Just because they have been doing things a certain way doesn't mean that they will want to continue doing it that way.

I tend to doubt that nearly as many Japanese buy the phones some here are saying the y buy. Like all countries with 3G service widely available, most consumers don't actually subcribe to it, but use cheaper services instead.

I remember quite well, about four years ago, the Japanese cell carriers complaining that their customers didn't seem to want the service because of higher costs, and that it was going to take them longer than expected to get a significant number of subscribers on board with it. As of two years ago, I also remember reading several articles that said that the 3G customers were still much below expected estimates.

I think that people who make it seem as though vast numbers of subscribers around the world are using 3G are far off the truth.

Widespread availability does NOT mean widespread use.
  • Reply 88 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

So, no matter how good the iPhone 3G is, it just won't even be considered by hardcore Japanese users.

I'm counting on it...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

I wonder if, like in the US, the iPhone was the smartphone for everyone else. We hear a lot of talk about how advanced and complex these phones are but I suspect they might have a significant population that want something simple to use.

• Reply 89 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

When DoCoMo rolls out these phones for the Japanese public, there will be no reason for a Japanese cellphone user to even consider an iPhone. The specs/features of some of these handsets are almost unbelievable. I don't know how useful all the features are or if the average person can master using all the features, but for a person that's willing to sit down and learn, these Japanese handsets are incredible. I honestly didn't think you could put so many features in a small, handheld device:

http://wirelesswatch.jp/2008/05/27/d...-new-handsets/

So, no matter how good the iPhone 3G is, it just won't even be considered by hardcore Japanese users. The DoCoMo handsets are too versatile to consider anything less. My opinion is just theoretical based on a strictly feature basis. Maybe the iPhone will have mass appeal based on some coolness factor. I wouldn't count on it, though.

You're making the same mistake others are making. You're confusing features with usability. Of course, there will always be those who only buy on features, and they will often continue to do so. But they are a minority.

As the Japanese have not had a choice other than what Japanese manufacturers have been telling them is good for them, they have had only those to look at. Now they will have another choice.

This choice is very different
  • Reply 90 of 163
    Oh man, so much cluelessness in this thread. The japanese cell phone market lacks choice? LOL to the MAX.

A more accurate statement is that the iPhone is the first decent choice the American market has had in a long time, and now Apple is getting pushed around with subsidies and low cost demands, which is exactly how the oligopolistic carriers stagnated innovation and advancement in this market for years. Just watch, next year it will be the exact same technology only this time it will be a FREE IPHONE to go along with your FREE RAZR and your absolutely NOT FREE 2-year contract. How many SMSes does my plan come with? OH RIGHT.
  • Reply 91 of 163
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

It is all about the battery. It doesn't matter how one uses the device, it's lunacy that Apple has gone the route of non-user replaceable batteries on this 2nd gen iPhone.

Perhaps if there were issues re battery life, the strategy would change.

Considering the satisfactory rating at 90%, it wouldn't be so high if batteries were a problem. Certainly from our experience and a couple of calls to nearby Apple stores, the iPhone has been a dream as battery life has been a non-issue.
  • Reply 92 of 163
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Extremely un-surprising, the iPhone may be relatively good looking and have a nice and (very) simple but also limited UI.

It lacks:

* A decent camera

* A flash plugin for the web browser (drives me crazy that Steve said it was the first real mobile web browser, Safari on iPhone is working but its is far far behind nokias, the only difference is that Safari is a little faster and has a completely zoomed out web page by default)

* A frontal camera for 3G video calls

* A replaceable battery

* The copy/paste function from what I've heard (don't own one myself, but have got to test my pals iPhone)

Also I do not know about running multiple apps, does an equivalence to the cmd-tab exist?

Anyway, since the japanese are much like the nordes when it comes to smartphones, iPhone will probably not be flashy enough for the market..
  • Reply 93 of 163
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Along with unlocking it, the trick is to offer free worldwide shipping as it entices buyers from the 175 countries that won't get a 3G iphone come July 11th and the 120 that have no current plans to get one.

I tend to disagree, the Japanese have a slightly different relation to technology and generally like functionality and expandability, while the American population generally wants it simple and user friendly. Now this statement might be a little prejudice, and I really really hope no one take offence =)
  • Reply 94 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

I tend to disagree, the Japanese have a slightly different relation to technology and generally like functionality and expandability, while the American population generally wants it simple and user friendly. Now this statement might be a little prejudice, i really really hope no one take offence =)

The iPhone's software expandability, and thus functionality, is far superior than anything in the EU, Nippon or Korea.

I wish someone in the know would post the most popular (not the most feature rich or expensive) cell phones that are being used. Is the ppi as high as the iPhone? How good are the cameras on these devices (I mean the picture quality, not the Mpxs)? How long does the battery last?
  • Reply 95 of 163
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well true HSPDA is 7.2MP right? The iPhone only does 3.2

No. 3.6 is the initial HSDPA offering with additional speed increases coming to 7.2. You are right and wrong at the same time.
  • Reply 96 of 163
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

Extremely un-surprising, the iPhone may be relatively good looking and have a nice and (very) simple but also limited UI.

What exactly is limited about the UI?

Quote:

* A decent camera

It was found within Flikr tags that most of the mobile phone pictures on Flikr came from the iPhone.

Quote:

* A flash plugin for the web browser (drives me crazy that Steve said it was the first real mobile web browser, Safari on iPhone is working but its is far far behind nokias, the only difference is that Safari is a little faster and has a completely zoomed out web page by default)

Mobile phones use flash lite which does not support all of the features of flash 9. So either way you don't receive the full benefit of flash.

Quote:

* A frontal camera for 3G video calls

From surveys video conferencing is not an overly popular feature.

Quote:

running multiple apps

Why would you need to run multiple apps on the tiny screen of a phone?
  • Reply 97 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't use it, but there a lot of people craving for it for ages, they should have added it.

A2DP is a very nice and easily to implement software based solution. While not exactly audiophile quality, it is okay for most people. I have a pair of stereo BT headsets that I use with my Nokia N82 while running, walking, etc... For the other times I use a pair of Shure SE 530's. Mucho better sound.
  • Reply 98 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Mobile phones use flash lite which does not support all of the features of flash 9. So either way you don't receive the full benefit of flash.

Gizmodo tested the N95 against the 3G iPhone speeds with it's Flash Lite turned off. Not only did it load pages faster, it also uses considerable less battery.

PS: We now have proof that Adobe has been working on Flash for the iPhone for months and is still not ready, so why we keep blaming Jobs?
  • Reply 99 of 163
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    [QUOTE=TenoBell;1267212]It was found within Flikr tags that most of the mobile phone pictures on Flikr came from the iPhone.QUOTE]

You are right.

Great pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/iphone/

I sure wish my other cell phone cameras (Razr & Nokia) were as good as my iPhone.

More here: http://iphonephotos.org/train-trek/ absolutely gorgeous

• Reply 100 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eatapc View Post

Correct. Japanese consumers are light years ahead of us in how they use their cells phones. Every day they use their phones in ways that might seem like science fiction to Americans. Advice to Steve Jobs: Take a trip to Japan and figure out that market. It'll benefit us all.

Exactly. Right on the money. It seems, as though Steve Jobs knows better than we the users. I have a Nokia N82, and use almost all the functions either daily or at least 2 or 3 times a week. Many of the features that are coming into the US market have been around for years and years. I find it a bit amusing to hear from my friends in State that come to Europe and actually ask about such simple things as texting. Apple needs to hire some Japanese guys, and Nokia guys to really get a handle on feature sets.