Study suggests most of Japan not bonkers over iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 163
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

The Symbian platform (wich Nokias smartphones use)is probably the most advanced non-asian mobile platform there is, you can install tons and tons of apps, games and emulators, with a very flexible variety of UI, while the iPhone has at least for all apps a rather limited set of UI wich makes all the iPhone apps look the same in a genetic kind of way.

This is a fairly narrow way to define "most advanced platform". You cannot create apps for Symbian like the ones that will soon be available for the iPhone.
  • Reply 122 of 163
    Quote:

It is bounded to set of UI frameworks

This is so vague as to almost mean nothing. Are you saying the UI is too consistent?

Quote:

Popularity≠Quality

I would say usability which comes from quality software. It is easy to shoot and post pictures from the iPhone.

Quote:

The majority of the current worldwide web content is probably not Flash9-only

Probably not, but Flashlite is basically flash 6/7. Two generations behind.

Quote:

It is still a signature feature of the 3G technology, but I know what you mean

Apple's philosophy is to make a phone that features the most used tools and makes them easy to use. Not to stick in every possible feature you can. Which makes the device less usable over all.

Quote:

I can see how you would find it strange, but once you get started on multi-tasking and using your phone as a laptop you will keep at it and use your RAM memory to the max

My iPhone has mostly taken over all the mobile communications that I used to carry my laptop for. I still don't know a situation that I would need multiple apps on at the same time. Its easy to switch from app to app.
  • Reply 123 of 163
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,578member
    Quote:

The Symbian platform (wich Nokias smartphones use)is probably the most advanced non-asian mobile platform there is, you can install tons and tons of apps, games and emulators, with a very flexible variety of UI, while the iPhone has at least for all apps a rather limited set of UI wich makes all the iPhone apps look the same in a genetic kind of way.

The picture quality is better then the iPhones, it is in higher resolution and the Nokia phones come with a flash and Carl Zeiss lenses. I do not own a iPhone so unfortunately I can't take two fotos of the same object with the different cameras, but if I bump into my iPhone-owning friend I'll be sure to do so.

The battery lasts great, I bought my Nokia N95 when it came out over a year ago and it works like it was new, even any battery life shortage is unnoticeable.

The only thing Nokia phones lack is optical zoom, perhaps a little more RAM (for stuff like Quake 2 with Open GL enabled wich only the 8GB version of Nokia N95 can run (however the original N95 can run Quake 1 with Open GL and Quake 2 with software rendering)) and a Nvidia tegra graphics card to top it all off and it'll be perfect.

Actually, Symbian is the least advanced of the phone OS's. Even Nokia understands this, as their best smartphones will be using Linux.
  • Reply 124 of 163
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This is so vague as to almost mean nothing. Are you saying the UI is too consistent?

Yes, exactly, its a lot of white-blue-grey or white-black (as in the apple TV menu)

Quote:

I would say usability which comes from quality software. It is easy to shoot and post pictures from the iPhone.

That is true, however Flickr is not nearly as popular worldwide as it is in the US.

Also it is butt-easy to send away your newly taken pics with bluetooth/e-mail/serverupload/nearby wireless printer/mms in symbian as well.

Quote:

Probably not, but Flashlite is basically flash 6/7. Two generations behind.

Flash6/7 > Flashlessness

Quote:

Apple's philosophy is to make a phone that features the most used tools and makes them easy to use. Not to stick in every possible feature you can. Which makes the device less usable over all.

I use the majority of the N95 features, with exeption for some small and unsignifigant tool-apps.

Quote:

My iPhone has mostly taken over all the mobile communications that I used to carry my laptop for. I still don't know a situation that I would need multiple apps on at the same time. Its easy to switch from app to app.

An example where you are more or less required to is when when you have to retrive a new password when you lost yours for a forum login or similar. Without the possibility of multiple apps running, you'd have to close the web app, open the e-mail-app, writhe down the new pass on a pice of paper (since iPhone didn't have copy-paste?), close the mail-app, open upp the web app, return to the same site, login and throw your pice of paper into a nearby trash can.

But that is not a too common situation :P I use it for example to chat with friends on MSN while playing a GBA game or surf or whatever
  • Reply 125 of 163
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Actually, Symbian is the least advanced of the phone OS's. Even Nokia understands this, as their best smartphones will be using Linux.

Well, Linux is more stable there's no doubt about that, but I still havn't seen any Quake port to iPhone, hah :P

Though I must admit I don't know about the complexity of developing apps and the actual range of features you can put into them when programming for symbian respectively iPhone
  • Reply 126 of 163
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    I hate these seriously compelling article topics and headlines that are ultimately based on completely flawed information.

How is any substantial percentage of Japanese consumers supposed to want this if the phone (a) the phone is not sold there and (b) does not work at all in the country if imported.

Zero word of mouth, zero fascination with the foreign Steve Jobs. Why would you buy the downspec/feature one if you can't see it?

oh and uhhh survey was done BEFORE any 3G announcement.
  • Reply 127 of 163
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

This is a fairly narrow way to define "most advanced platform". You cannot create apps for Symbian like the ones that will soon be available for the iPhone.

Please back this up with a fact and not an opinion.

Maybe I better dump my Geo-tagging app, or my VoIP apps, Internet streaming radio app,Geo caching app, MSN messenger app, and QUITE a few others to name a few just because, well according to you they will not exist once they "might" be available for the iPhone. Talk about a myopic view of things.
  • Reply 128 of 163
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    When Jobs intro'd the iPhone last year, it was in almost every newspaper in Japan the next day. Even the paper in my tiny little speck of collected dust had a rather large article on it, photo and all.

Now that it has been readied for release here, I'm waiting for Softbank to start its promo. They use Brad Pitt and Cameron Diaz so the ads could be pretty nice. My local Softbank shop knows that it is in the wild, but has not officially heard anything from their home office.

The MacBook Air was on TV here hours after Steve's Keynote this past spring, so Apple had made an effort to get plenty of air time for it. I suspect they'll do the same for iPhone.
  • Reply 129 of 163
    Quote:

Well, Linux is more stable there's no doubt about that, but I still havn't seen any Quake port to iPhone, hah :P

Though I must admit I don't know about the complexity of developing apps and the actual range of features you can put into them when programming for symbian respectively iPhone

You are confusing the lack of processing power that all phones have with the OS.

Besides, the new iPhone hasn't even come out yet. What are you expecting?

The iPhone is the only phone at this time that has what is essentially a complete computer OS. What was removed has to do with the requirements of the hardware (which has also called for additions), as well as its necessary restrictions.

The only OS's that comes close are Linux phone OS's. Even those are more stripped down than OS X on the iPhone is, with little of the goodies that Apple has.

Also Apple's development environment is far better than any of the others, which you can read about in many places if you want.

I'm willing to bet that after some reasonable time, we will see as much development on the iPhone as we've seen for the other two most developed for platforms so far, the Palm OS, and Windows Mobile.

Given some more time, I'm pretty confident that the iPhone will see more development than either one would ever have. Palm development has slowed down drastically, while Win Mobile has kept to a steady pace. Symbian is well behind those two, and RIM has just opened up the Blackberry to useful development, though the word is that it is nowhere as open or robust as that from any of the others.
  • Reply 130 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Maybe I better dump my Geo-tagging app, or my VoIP apps, Internet streaming radio app,Geo caching app, MSN messenger app, and QUITE a few others to name a few just because, well according to you they will not exist once they "might" be available for the iPhone. Talk about a myopic view of things.

Symbian has development, but the number of programs available for it is well behind what is available for Win Mobile and Palm. Of course, here in the US, where Symbian isn't popular, there is just about nothing.
  • Reply 131 of 163
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'm willing to bet that after some reasonable time, we will see as much development on the iPhone as we've seen for the other two most developed for platforms so far, the Palm OS, and Windows Mobile.

If I recall correctly, one of the regulars on this board pointed out that Nokia's app store has about 4000-5000 apps already, across about 400-500 developers. Then we hear complaints from people who are not one of the 4000 green-lighted developers for the iPhone.

To me, that is a lot of developers to okay in 12 weeks. If they continue with their same pace there should be just under 6000 developers okayed for the App Store. Within 6 months, I see no reason why App Store won't have a larger selection of 3rd-party apps than all the others mobile platforms combined.
  • Reply 132 of 163
    Quote:

Symbian has development, but the number of programs available for it is well behind what is available for Win Mobile and Palm. Of course, here in the US, where Symbian isn't popular, there is just about nothing.

You might have a point. Considering (I think), that Palm, and WinMobile (in its various incarnations) had a pretty big jump on Symbian, but to say as was posted by TenoBell
    Quote:

You cannot create apps for Symbian like the ones that will soon be available for the iPhone.

is just plain wrong. Right now, my Symbian based phone out performs my current iPhone in almost every task. Sooooo, I guess when these applications that only TenoBell seems to know about, all Symbian apps will cease to exist.

Symbian is not popular in the US for the shear short sighted-ness of Nokia. They have admitted not really effectively targeting the US market to their detriment. We will see how things pan out within the next few months. Either way, things should be very promising from a consumer standpoint.
  • Reply 133 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If I recall correctly, one of the regulars on this board pointed out that Nokia's app store has about 4000-5000 apps already, across about 400-500 developers. Then we hear complaints from people who are not one of the 4000 green-lighted developers for the iPhone.

To me, that is a lot of developers to okay in 12 weeks. If they continue with their same pace there should be just under 6000 developers okayed for the App Store. Within 6 months, I see no reason why App Store won't have a larger selection of 3rd-party apps than all the others mobile platforms combined.

I had no idea that there were these many apps for Symbian. Are these S60 v2, or S60 v3?
  • Reply 134 of 163
    Quote:

I had no idea that there were these many apps for Symbian. Are these S60 v2, or S60 v3?

I'm not sure. I think it was JeffDM taht counted them up, but I honestly can't recall.

edit: Here is the store. It's not easy to count the apps or developers as you have to choose your country and then your phone and your carrier before seeing the apps hat are available. I'm sure most are crossover apps but it's too much work to count. I checked the Netherlands and "Norwegia", I can't see ther being 4000 unique apps or 400 developers available so I must have remembered it incorrectly.

Unless there are non-Nokia sanctioned apps that can be installed since it does require you to connect it to a PC first (PITA). Are there really apps that can't be used on certain networks or is the network info just for data collecting?
    PS: Your comment about S60 v2 and v3 and the different phones on the site makes me wonder which device has the most apps and how much. I also wonder which BB or WinMo or Palm device has the most apps available and how many.

Anyone want to start Wiki pages on the apps avaialble for these different mobile OSes. I'll do the iPhone.... next month.
  • Reply 135 of 163
    Quote:

I'm not sure. I think it was JeffDM taht counted them up, but I honestly can't recall.

edit: Here is the store. It's not easy to count the apps or developers as you have to choose your country and then your phone and your carrier before seeing the apps hat are available. I'm sure most are crossover apps but it's too much work to count. I checked the Netherlands and "Norwegia", I can't see ther being 4000 unique apps or 400 developers available so I must have remembered it incorrectly.

Unless there are non-Nokia sanctioned apps that can be installed since it does require you to connect it to a PC first (PITA). Are there really apps that can't be used on certain networks or is the network info just for data collecting?
    PS: Your comment about S60 v2 and v3 and the different phones on the site makes me wonder which device has the most apps and how much. I also wonder which BB or WinMo or Palm device has the most apps available and how many.

Anyone want to start Wiki pages on the apps avaialble for these different mobile OSes. I'll do the iPhone.... next month.

Hey solipsism,

If they combine both the S60 v2 and S60 v3, you might get 4000 or so. There are some pretty crappy apps out there. I know for sure that there are plenty of apps no longer developed. When Nokia went to S60 for the E90, all the faxing and several biz apps simply went away. 3G does not support faxing and the E90 does not have a fax capable G3 fax modem installed, so this would take away from the app base. My original statement regarding Symbian was in response to the completely nebulous and inherently wrong statement from TenoBell (
    Quote:

You cannot create apps for Symbian like the ones that will soon be available for the iPhone

). All of my apps on my Symbian based phone operate as well as their iPhone counterparts. For the most part, I have more apps on my Nokia than on my iPhone (it is jail broken) and I do not see why Symbian development will not continue to meet the demands of the market.

Also, there are other download sites for Symbian apps. www.handango.com is a leading site as well.
  • Reply 136 of 163
    Quote:

My original statement regarding Symbian was in response to the completely nebulous and inherently wrong statement from TenoBell. All of my apps on my Symbian based phone operate as well as their iPhone counterparts.

The pre-SDK apps for jailbroken iPhones are not a good measure here for comparison and in TenoBell's defense, he did say "soon to be offered on the iPhone. Also, he doesn't not quantify the "like"; he could be referring to the ease of use of the SDK or that they may be higher-quality because they can tap into the power of OS X and it's easy to use UI.

I think the best thing is to do is ask TenoBell to be more specific, but he is replying to Cbswe who is calling it the most advanced platform, so the gist of his post is pretty self evident. Even you wouldn't call Symbian the most advanced platform.

Quote:

Can you please more specific?
  • Reply 137 of 163
    Quote:

The pre-SDK apps for jailbroken iPhones are not a good measure here for comparison and in TenoBell's defense, he did say "soon to be offered on the iPhone. Also, he doesn't not quantify the "like"; he could be referring to the ease of use of the SDK or that they may be higher-quality because they can tap into the power of OS X and it's easy to use UI.

I think the best thing is to do is ask TenoBell to be more specific, but he is replying to Cbswe who is calling it the most advanced platform, so the gist of his post is pretty self evident. Even you wouldn't call Symbian the most advanced platform.

Can you please more specific?

Thanks dude. I agree. Symbian is great for what it does but I also think that it is running on underpowered hardware. Nokia needs to beef up the processors a bit more. Calculating GPS data, camera data, etc..... is processor intensive. Just for fun, I had my N82's Geocaching app, Nokia Maps, camera, and Geotagging apps open as well as a few other and then I decided to snap a pic. I thought the damn thing would explode. You could almost hear it crashing. Imagine driving in a car, zooming up to 200 and then slam the breaks as you hit a wall. This is almost how it sounded. I truly felt sorry for it. I had to remove the battery to reset it so it would start. Nokia, are you listening out there?
  • Reply 138 of 163
    Quote:

Nokia, are you listening out there?

They did buy that software company in January.

Your anecdote is a perfect example as to why Apple isn't allowing more than one 3rd-party app to run at a time and is using a unified push notification service for users.
  • Reply 139 of 163
    Quote:

They did buy that software company in January.

Your anecdote is a perfect example as to why Apple isn't allowing more than one 3rd-party app to run at a time and is using a unified push notification service for users.

I think the iPhone could handle this much better do to the processor. I am sure if my N82 had a bit more juice this would not have been an issue. I am not too convinced that Apple will not use your info coming through their servers eventually until they get caught. Do you remember the fiasco they had with iTunes copping user data? Personally, I do not trust anyone that says "hey, I've got a great idea, send me your data, and I will take care of it for you". This is just me though. Must be the biz I am in.
  • Reply 140 of 163
    Quote:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Where did I say these apps would no longer be available for Symbian once they are available for the iPhone.