Mac OS X 10.1.5 Released

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Update 10.1.5 delivers enhancements which improve the reliability of Mac OS X applications, delivers improved networking, security, support for PC Card serial communication devices, and expanded peripheral device support. Specific improvements include:

Peripheral Device Support:

? Expanded support for new Canon digital cameras.

? Improved support for Nikon FireWire cameras.

? Expanded support for SmartDisk, EZQuest, and LaCie disc recording devices.

? Improved support for MO drives.

Application Improvements:

? Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock.

? Emails are properly retained when rebuilding the Draft mailbox.

? Support for 2D and QuickTime hardware acceleration for Rage Pro.

? Updated Carbon applications can use Quartz anti-aliasing technology for high quality text display.

Networking and Security Improvements:

? Improves networking via AFP when accessing multi-level directories on Windows NT file servers.

? Significant improvement to file searching on local and remote volumes.

? Includes a generic PC Card driver to support a variety of PC Card modems.

? Mail accounts go offline to indicate that SSL encryption settings are not supported by mail server.

? Includes the Security Update April 2002.

WebDAV Improvements:

? More efficient iDisk mounting and file navigation.

? Added support for connecting to iDisk using default DNS settings of AirPort.

? Support for mounting a WebDAV volume from a non-standard http port.

Asian Language Improvements:

? Significant updates to the Korean Input Method, especially important when using AppleWorks.

? Internet Connect and AirPort applications updated with Chinese and Korean localized content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    nostradamusnostradamus Posts: 397member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>

? Support for 2D and QuickTime hardware acceleration for Rage Pro.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Amazing what lawyers can do these days.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Guess what?

<a href="http://brad.project-think.com/images/WordSnap001.png"; target="_blank">Click me!</a>
  • Reply 3 of 88
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Anyone else having trouble connecting to Apple? Neither my software updater nor any of my browsers seem to be able to make a connection to appl.com - even though I can go to other sites without problems.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs:

<strong>Neither my software updater nor any of my browsers seem to be able to make a connection to appl.com</strong><hr></blockquote>Ha ha! Looks like I got it just before the crowds flooded in. Heh.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    I also got it no problem. Question though - what does OS X do when it's optimizing and why does it take so long?
  • Reply 6 of 88
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    And I got in just after the crowds!
  • Reply 7 of 88
    BEWARE!!! :o :o

I just had 5, yes five, kernel panics on successive attempts to reboot. I was about to boot into my 10.2 disk when it 10.1.5 *finally* booted up properly.

I still suspect there may be something wrong and will perform some tests momentarily.

• Reply 8 of 88
    [quote]Originally posted by gobble gobble:

<strong>what does OS X do when it's optimizing and why does it take so long?</strong><hr></blockquote>Simple. It's updating the prebinding on *all* applications. Basically, it isn't necessary, but it does make apps load slightly faster.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    grrrr....still nothing from software updater. There's no point to re-booting or re-connecting if other web pages load, emails download, etc is there? Reconnecting doesn't somehow "reset" the Software Update panel - does it?
  • Reply 10 of 88
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Software update worked fine for me.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Have any rev c/d imac owners tried the update yet?

I'm in the process of installing on my rev. D but i'm also using itunes and exporting an mp4 movie...so it may be a while

Will we get a significant performance gain? I sure hope so.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    altivec_2.0altivec_2.0 Posts: 995member
    That's odd. I've had the 10.1.5 update for a long time. I checked it and it's the offical update. I got the update about maybe a week 1/2 after the introduction of the Xserve.

Very ODD
  • Reply 13 of 88
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Guess what?

<a href="http://brad.project-think.com/images/WordSnap001.png"; target="_blank">Click me!</a> </strong><hr></blockquote>

Now all we need is an Appleworks updater for all the cheap bastards like me
  • Reply 14 of 88
    Cool beans. Thanks for letting us know.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    [quote]Originally posted by Master:

<strong>I've had the 10.1.5 update for a long time. I checked it and it's the offical update.</strong><hr></blockquote>What build number is yours? The "official" 10.1.5 is 5S60.

I suppose I should follow up on my last post about the panics. I'm had three more, each when trying to reboot. It happens almost immediately after I get to the "happy Mac" screen and when attempting single-user mode, it panics before the first full page of text has even loaded. I can not find a common thread here because it will happen for, say, three boots and then it'll just magically work on the fourth.

My Mac is mostly a stock config with added RAM, an extra hard drive, an old ATI XCLAIM VR128 card, and an external SCSI CD-RW.

Dual 500 MHz G4

832 MB RAM (64 + 256 + 512)

OEM SCSI PCI card

OEM AGP ATI Radeon

ATI XCLAIM VR128 (not currently in use)

60 GB IDE hard drive

36 GB SCSI hard drive

external Yamaha 6416S CD-R/RW

:confused:

I have copied down the backtrace and am about to send it off to Apple.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 88
    I STILL can't even go to Apple's web site. WTF?!

I can understand why software update would be non-responsive but why Apple's site? Wouldn't the FTP servers be different than those that serve up the main pages?
  • Reply 17 of 88
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Updated with no problem.
  • Reply 18 of 88
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well, Starfleet X, until I hear about a fix/cause for this, I'm not installing 10.1.5. Thank you, a lot, for letting us know there could be problems. At least it didn't delete any partitions
  • Reply 19 of 88
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Uh. oh. I smell a 10.1.6 coming out in a few days.
  • Reply 20 of 88
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cosmo:

<strong>Have any rev c/d imac owners tried the update yet?

I'm in the process of installing on my rev. D but i'm also using itunes and exporting an mp4 movie...so it may be a while

Will we get a significant performance gain? I sure hope so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nothing major that I've noticed so far, though I haven't had the chance to play a movie or anything. Will report back later. (I have a Rev. B, but it has the Rage Pro.)