Mac OS X 10.1.5 Released

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    had it installed less than 20 hours, and just got a kernal panic. hmm...i wonder whats up...

500 G3 iMac
  • Reply 42 of 88
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    and everything seems sluggish, moreso than before. if anything, i feel this is a step in the wrong direction...

just stick w/ 10.1.4

this update isnt all that necessary. damn, seeing the spinning disk more now too...
  • Reply 43 of 88
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    10.1.5 is running well on my Rev. D iMac. Resizing windows ins smoother accross the board. Quicktime movies are actually viewable now (yay) and itunes visuals is back on par with OS 9 (give or take). And all in all it is Snappier?. This update is a good thing for anyone with a rage pro.
  • Reply 44 of 88
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>and everything seems sluggish, moreso than before. if anything, i feel this is a step in the wrong direction...

just stick w/ 10.1.4

this update isnt all that necessary. damn, seeing the spinning disk more now too... </strong><hr></blockquote>

I've noticed in the past few minutes that it's a little more sluggish on my iBook when I have more than 3 or 4 apps running, not too big of a problem though.
  • Reply 45 of 88
    patmcfar8patmcfar8 Posts: 84member
    New options? What new options?

I'm on a TiPB 550 and I have no new options under Energy Saver. Anybody else?
  • Reply 46 of 88
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    From reading over at Ars, it seems owners of the 550/667 PowerBooks (not 667 DVI) are out of luck for some reason.

Lots of folks there with iBooks that don't have it either, so I really don't know what's going on.

Weird.
  • Reply 47 of 88
    chucksterchuckster Posts: 56member
    Installed fine on my iBook 600. Added Silk freeware, and IE looks prettier now.

There were supposed to be improvements to CoreMIDI with this update, but I don't see it listed anywhere. I imagine these updates include "minor" fixes that aren't listed in the general improvements (this one is pretty major for me if it indeed works since I will be able to finally use Sibelius in X). Is there anywhere to get a more complete list of updates or is that just for developers?

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: chuckster ]</p>
  • Reply 48 of 88
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>From reading over at Ars, it seems owners of the 550/667 PowerBooks (not 667 DVI) are out of luck for some reason.

Lots of folks there with iBooks that don't have it either, so I really don't know what's going on.

Weird.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm... that is pretty weird.
  • Reply 49 of 88
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Wow, Silk rocks!
  • Reply 50 of 88
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Wow, Silk rocks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Damn right it does...takes a while to get used to and after that its pretty awesome.

Also, iTunes visuals are much better as well. Yay!

Now all we need is this big bad next version of IE.
  • Reply 51 of 88
    woozlewoozle Posts: 64member
    Just upgraded iBook 600...

It stuffed up the auto login, I had to log in manually. All of the little locks got locked as well, they werent before.

Now whenever I do anything to do with authentication it takes ages. For example, unlocking the lock on the login pane so I could turn auto login back on. Takes about 30 minutes while it sits there and does nothing. I thought it was totally stuffed at first, but just left it for a while and it got there.

Opening the Users panel is just as bad.

Logging in isnt.

Weird, but lucky I dont access that functionality very often.
  • Reply 52 of 88
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Installed it on my Tibook 800Mhz, and got a messaged that it dint install correctly.... So restarted and was real slow to startup particularly when intilizing newtwork . Once started up everything went odd... Reinstalled 10.1.4

Poor me
  • Reply 53 of 88
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>For PowerBook owners, there (finally) is an option to reduce processor performance in the Energy Saver preferences, under Options.

Cool.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Umm, that was there in 10.1.4 also. I think that the old 550 and 667 tibooks don't have that option because it's a new feature in the 7455 (or at least that's what the technote indicated)

Edit: Just to clarify what it does: on the 800s, it scales the CPU to 667 and turns off the L3 cache, and on the 667s, it just turns off the L3 cache.

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: agent302 ]</p>
  • Reply 54 of 88
    aasunaasun Posts: 1member
    i'm aware of that, as well. however, does this reduce the processor performance continually, or only when the processor is not in use? (i read something like this today which was confusing)..

it would be nice to automatically turn this on when unplugged, and turn it off when plugged in.
  • Reply 55 of 88
    mac's girlmac's girl Posts: 556member
    anyone installed 10.1.5 on a imac G4/800 yet? i really dont want to touch this one, as i regret installing the last 2 updates, but the improved idisk performance is tempting.
  • Reply 56 of 88
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    mac's girl...i would probably wait for 10.2....i downloaded 10.1.5 and had my first frozen iMac...had to power down....has been fine since then, but haven't played too much to see if i can do it again....if anything, 10.1.5 seems a bit slower than 10.1.4....but that is just my opinion....i would stick with 10.1.4 if it is running fine for you....hopefully 10.2 we be here soon....g
  • Reply 57 of 88
    bryan furybryan fury Posts: 169member
    says it failed to install - but under apple menu says 10.1.5... wtf ?

x is ok BUT you need some heavy juice ...

PowerMac G5 - here i come !

• Reply 58 of 88
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Does anyone have actual data to show if the performance of 10.1.5 is different? Like Let1kWindows Bloom, etc. I'm interested in hearing if it's faster. I certainly hope it's not slower! :eek: Thanks.

What system were you on, thegelding?
  • Reply 59 of 88
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i have an iMac 800 LCD with superdrive and 768 of ram...10.1.5 is ok, just doesn't seem any better than 10.1.4 and i had my first frozen system with 10.1.5...i've had my iMac since march 1st or something like that (it was one of the first iMac LCD's to make it across the ocean to the US of A from Tawain)...will play a bit more with it the next couple of days and see how it runs....but mac's girl has had some problems with her previous updates already...it would probably be better for her to wait till 10.2 unless she really needs 10.1.5....g
  • Reply 60 of 88
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Either 10.1.5 and/or Office X SR-1 have major font problems. Macintouch is full of reports about weird display problems with fonts, especially PS fonts, but also regular fonts, if the Quartz Smoothing is turned on. I tend to believe it's Office SR-1's fault, since people report ALL other Carbon apps, with Silk smoothing, don't have the same font spacing problems.

<a href="http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.1.5pt01.html"; target="_blank">http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.1.5pt01.html</a>;

<a href="http://www.macintouch.com/officevx5.html"; target="_blank">http://www.macintouch.com/officevx5.html</a>;

SR-2, coming next week?