Apple allegedly sanctioning Rogers for iPhone rates

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After raising the ire of its customers with what are believed to be overly expensive iPhone 3G plans, Canadian provider Rogers Wireless is allegedly being punished by Apple with fewer shipments.

Blogger Daniel Smith claims multiple sources, including a senior Rogers representative, claim that Apple has diverted a significant amount of its initial iPhone 3G Canadian deliveries to Europe in retribution for the carrier's steep rate plans, which at similar prices offer a third fewer minutes and limited data compared to AT&T.

Stores may be getting just 10 to 20 iPhones each and are being told to "exercise caution" not to promise ample stock on launch day, according to the rumors.

At the same time, Rogers is also claimed to be promptly firing the part-time staff that had been hired to handle an expected deluge of customers at some stores.

With the story breaking on the weekend, neither Apple nor Rogers officials have commented on the allegations. However, the provider in recent days has faced a steadily mounting backlash against its planned rates with approximately 42,000 would-be iPhone buyers signing a highly-publicized petition for lower rates that they plan to deliver to Rogers in person.

Rogers itself has already made an about-face regarding some of its plans. A statement issued to the press clarified that customers will now be able to pick and choose from separate voice and data plans as well as to order extras such as caller ID a la carte rather than as part of mandatory $15 and $20 value packs.

A separate statement from Rogers has also alluded to "tweaking" data plan sizes, although it stops short of offering the unlimited data demanded by some of the company's critics.

While readers should take caution in accepting the rumor at face value, at least one other carrier has been forced to loosen its Internet access restrictions after facing similar criticism: TeliaSonera has been pushed into extending its Swedish iPhone plans with an unlimited data option after previously giving even its highest-end iPhone plan just 1GB of data per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Sounds like Apple deserves a pat on the back if true.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    The last paragraph is just not true. The option to add unlimited data for 199SEK more was always there, and charges for using more than the allocated amount of data were and are capped at 9SEK per day ($1.5). The prices are still awful compared to the Netherlands, Hong Kong and Switzerland, however.

/Adrian
  • Reply 3 of 129
    squozensquozen Posts: 66member
    They need one of those sanctions in Australia. Our plans are no better.
  • Reply 4 of 129
    aestivalaestival Posts: 75member
    What really must be bugging Apple is that they have now completely and utterly failed to transform the Canadian market in any way -- Canadian users looking for unlimited data plans will be buying Samsung and RIM/Blackberry devices, because not only has Rogers dropped the ball, they have managed to deftly drop-kick it into a giant cesspool of their own making. Personally, I'm very glad not to have waited for an iPhone -- Rogers can actually be a half-decent company, but it will probably be a long, long wait until they fire the tremendous idiots who prevented the iPhone from making any inroads in Canada.

On the plus side, what's good for RIM is good for Canada :-)
  • Reply 5 of 129
    One thing that should be clarified is that it has since become clear that the firings were not company wide. Instead, it appears that only certain dealership channels (a type of franchisee division) hired additional help for the launch, mostly in urban areas. And then only some of the principals of these dealerships decided to let their new staffers go before they even started, because of whatever stock reductions have come down the lines. AI might want to change the text to reflect this as well, as one thing Rogers corporate can't be blamed for is firing people it never hired.

(Unless of course your line of reasoning = Rogers gouges customers>Apple pulls units and funding for extra help>Rogers corporate pulls funding for extra help to Dealerships>Dealerships fire extra help. In that case, carry on

Daniel Smith

Smithereens Blog
  • Reply 6 of 129
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    As much as I would like to believe this rumour (since it's what canadians have hoped for), it sounds pretty unlikely to me. This is just not the way business works AFAIK.

If Apple made a contract with Rogers to sell the iPhone and unlimited data was important to Apple, then they would have put it in the contract. If that was true, then Rogers would be in violation of contract, and the "punishment" would be a lot more than this. Lawyers would already be involved because Rogers would have essentially already broken the contract.

If Apple didn't make a contract with Rogers that forced them to offer unlimited data (the most likely case), then Apple's "punishment" of Rogers for following standard business procedures and executing a valid, legal contract, is not only childish, but likely to get Apple into hot water for failing to hold up *its* end of the contract.

This whole thing sounds like a fantasy to me.
  • Reply 7 of 129
    ct77ct77 Posts: 49member
    The word "sanction" has a different meaning depending on how it is used in a sentence.

I'm no English teacher, but the first time I read the headline, I read it as "Apple approves of Rogers for iPhone plans".

Here's the definition of "sanction" from the OS X Dictionary:

sanction

noun

1 trade sanctions penalty, punishment, deterrent; punitive action, discipline, restriction; embargo, ban, prohibition, boycott. antonym reward.

2 the scheme has the sanction of the court authorization, consent, leave, permission, authority, warrant, license, dispensation, assent, acquiescence, agreement, approval, approbation, endorsement, accreditation, ratification, validation, blessing, imprimatur; informal go-ahead, OK, green light. antonym prohibition.

verb

1 the rally was sanctioned by the government authorize, permit, allow, warrant, accredit, license, endorse, approve, accept, back, support; informal OK. See note at approve . antonym prohibit.

2 the penalties available to sanction crime punish, discipline someone for.
  • Reply 8 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ct77 View Post

The word "sanction" has a different meaning depending on how it is used in a sentence.

I'm no English teacher, but the first time I read the headline, I read it as "Apple approves of Rogers for iPhone plans".

Here's the definition of "sanction" from the OS X Dictionary:

sanction

noun

1 trade sanctions penalty, punishment, deterrent; punitive action, discipline, restriction; embargo, ban, prohibition, boycott. antonym reward.

2 the scheme has the sanction of the court authorization, consent, leave, permission, authority, warrant, license, dispensation, assent, acquiescence, agreement, approval, approbation, endorsement, accreditation, ratification, validation, blessing, imprimatur; informal go-ahead, OK, green light. antonym prohibition.

verb

1 the rally was sanctioned by the government authorize, permit, allow, warrant, accredit, license, endorse, approve, accept, back, support; informal OK. See note at approve . antonym prohibit.

2 the penalties available to sanction crime punish, discipline someone for.

@ct - lol That word is part of the exclusive club of English words which have synonyms that are antonyms of each other.

Other prestigious members include original (new and unique... or same old standard), and dust (to apply a dust to crops...or remove it from the mantle)

Who invented this darn language anyway?
  • Reply 9 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smithereensblog View Post

Who invented this darn language anyway?

I don't know but I admire anyone who has learned it as a second language!
  • Reply 10 of 129
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Sanction has a few definitions that are variant but this definition is applicable.

"A penalty, specified or in the form of moral pressure, that acts to ensure compliance or conformity."

The language is quite clear
  • Reply 11 of 129
    dreamerydreamery Posts: 17member
    Looks like we are getting an English lesson here as well At least the rest of the world are getting their iPhones. I am an expat currently based in Malaysia and this country isn't even on Apple's 'Coming To Countries Everywhere' list. Looks like I shall have to get mine from back home.
  • Reply 12 of 129
    stormchildstormchild Posts: 104member
    Quote:

Then you read it wrong. The way it was used in this particular headline should not have been ambiguous to anyone who correctly understands the word. There is no possible way it could mean "approval" in this context.

No offense intended (honestly); I blame English, not you.
  • Reply 13 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

None taken. As I mentioned, I'm not an English teacher. Actually, I teach Mathematics.
  • Reply 14 of 129
    min_tmin_t Posts: 74member
    More than likely, Apple found out about Rogers' price plans, realized they weren't going to sell that many iPhones because of the phone plans, and diverted the shipment to Sweden or whereever. There are sellers markets and Canada isn't one of them.
  • Reply 15 of 129
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

None taken. As I mentioned, I'm not an English teacher. Actually, I teach Mathematics.

I could use a mathematics lesson or two Actually I always liked it but hated my teachers. As boring as you can imagine. ZERO personality. iPhone will debut here in Japan this week! Funny thing is, ZERO news or ads. ZERO.
  • Reply 16 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

iPhone will debut here in Japan this week! Funny thing is, ZERO news or ads. ZERO.

I think the iPhone sells itself -- no advertising necessary, at least at this point.

Except in Canada, where Rogers completely messed things up.
  • Reply 17 of 129
    dreamerydreamery Posts: 17member
    Excuse my morning sarcasm. I'm an Australian.

All these issues that have been brewing up since less than two weeks ago simply shows how companies/resellers are taking advantage of the guaranteed success of the iPhone. When the first iPhone was launched and ultimately jailbreaked, the units were selling here (in Malaysia) for astronomical prices. Most of the resellers themselves were as dumb as a lamp post - possessing about 1% knowledge of Apple products. Prices soared as high as USD1,200.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

Then you read it wrong. The way it was used in this particular headline should not have been ambiguous to anyone who correctly understands the word. There is no possible way it could mean "approval" in this context.

• Reply 18 of 129
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by min_t View Post

More than likely, Apple found out about Rogers' price plans, realized they weren't going to sell that many iPhones because of the phone plans, and diverted the shipment to Sweden or whereever. There are sellers markets and Canada isn't one of them.

that's what I'm thinking.

if they prove wrong, there's always the restock shipment. but why waste units on an area that might not sell them when you have folks already lining up in the US
  • Reply 19 of 129
    Joy of Tech SLAMS Ted Rogers

Canucks deserve to be treated like iHumans

http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/j...ives/1123.html
  • Reply 20 of 129
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    when an iphone isn't sold who hurts the most apple, rogers or consumers. apple is trying to make a platform tie ins are critical to apple ok so rogers loses a 3 year contract, but maybe they did it for nationalism, maybe rim made them a better deal to blunt iphone sales. geeee that sounds more like it, see who is on rim's board and roger's board, the iphone is hot, but not that hot in canada, for every non iphone sold that customer may be a 2year contract for rim.....hmmmm

maybe apple sees this as an afront anticompetitive and went to the canadian agency. rim is the target, rim got to roger's first.

it's a rim ploy against apple.....now that makes more sense to me.