Apple releases new iPhone 2.1 beta as crackers break 2.0.1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has issued a third beta of its iPhone 2.1 upgrade but is being characteristically secretive with details of what it changes. Simultaneously, however, the just-launched 2.0.1 firmware has already been cracked to allow unofficial apps.



Beta 3 of the upcoming iPhone firmware makes no specific mention of new additions and, upon early inspection by those familiar with the update, primarily resolves bugs from earlier builds.



The fix nonetheless comes just a week and a half after the release of beta 2 and indicates a short turnaround schedule for Apple's test releases, which started on July 24th.



The 2.1 refresh is expected to center around the background push notification service that allows live apps to receive Internet data while shut down, but will also have directional GPS support that enables more complex navigation than the simple positional system used with 2.0.



Those not content to wait for official Apple software solutions, however, now have their own update.



The iPhone Dev Team's PwnageTool 2.0.2 allows users to jailbreak any iPhone running the recent 2.0.1 firmware that appears to have broken previous hacks.



Like earlier builds, however, full unlocking to enable support for unofficial cellular carriers is limited to original iPhones due to a change in the cellular baseband with the 3G hardware, which prevents the previous trick from working.



As always, these tools carry the risk of bricking the iPhone's firmware and have no support from Apple either during or after the install process.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,470member
    I went from an unlocked 2.0 iPhone to 2.0.1 without restoring it, and it's still unlocked and working on my carrier (not O2). Apple may like the money I'm giving them (30%) through all the apps I'm buying after all.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Why is Apple so stupid sometimes? Did they not learn from the old Mac vs DOS days? Apple, free the iPhone once and for all! Free from carrier. Free from developer. Free, fee, fee. Any carrier. Any application. As should be. Let the user decide! Actually it should be illegal to block in such way something that you have paid for! Imagine a computer blocked to be used with some ISP or with some application. Sounds ridiculous? Well, that is sadly the situation with the iPhone and the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    rod76rod76 Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I went from an unlocked 2.0 iPhone to 2.0.1 without restoring it, and it's still unlocked and working on my carrier (not O2). Apple may like the money I'm giving them (30%) through all the apps I'm buying after all.



    That's my point exactly, they are in a position that "bricking" the phones would cost them more than they'd gain. Unless of course the bricking is being done on principle.



    I've spent nearly 200 in the App Store to date and I think they'd be foolish to stop me from giving them money. Hell, if Apple would just unlock my phone I'd have no need or desire to Jailbreak.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    Something you have paid for... but as a license, so it is more of a lease.





    If someone doesn't want to be confined, then they don't have to buy the iPhone. There are certain advantages that come from being locked or having the App Store: at least everything is checked once before going on your machine. No spyware will get on.



    Hope 2.1 improves Japanese input. It is slow, even for me. The wife is going crazy; she now has started using her old phone again for email.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    akacakac Posts: 510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rod76 View Post


    That's my point exactly, they are in a position that "bricking" the phones would cost them more than they'd gain. Unless of course the bricking is being done on principle.



    I've spent nearly 200 in the App Store to date and I think they'd be foolish to stop me from giving them money. Hell, if Apple would just unlock my phone I'd have no need or desire to Jailbreak.



    Not principle. Legal. AT&T contract requires it.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Please, no more features. Fix what's already there.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I hope 2.1 returns the speed and fluidity of the iPhone OS. My friends who have one say that the first upgrades of 1.0 really helped, but 2.0 was a step backwards for "snappiness".
  • Reply 8 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post


    Please, no more features. Fix what's already there.



    Why, did you expect new features in 2.1? I didn't.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,637member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post


    Please, no more features. Fix what's already there.



    This I agree with 100%! I updated my 3G to 2.0.1 and it actually seems worst software wise. Calendar seems to be more broken and nothing was done with Mail. Apple very much needs to get these firmed up. Especially clear up all the issues with calendar syncing.



    Dave
  • Reply 10 of 84
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    Let's hope they fix the Mail app issues where getting any mail at all requires a reboot of the phone if you've gone from a cell network to a wifi network or vice versa.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I went from an unlocked 2.0 iPhone to 2.0.1 without restoring it, and it's still unlocked and working on my carrier (not O2). Apple may like the money I'm giving them (30%) through all the apps I'm buying after all.



    When you say you "went from an unlocked 2.0 iPhone to 2.0.1 without restoring it, and it's still unlocked and working on my carrier (not O2)", do you mean an original Gen 1 (EDGE) iPhone or the Gen 2 (3G), because as far as I know, there is no operator unlock for the 3G phone yet.



    Just looking for clarification. The newly release DevTeam now jailbreaks, but does not unlock the 2.0.1 release from Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    If someone doesn't want to be confined, then they don't have to buy the iPhone. There are certain advantages that come from being locked or having the App Store: at least everything is checked once before going on your machine. No spyware will get on.



    I know, all this spyware on my Mac is beginning to bug me. Apple should have been pre-checking all those Mac apps for us.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheBum View Post


    Let's hope they fix the Mail app issues where getting any mail at all requires a reboot of the phone if you've gone from a cell network to a wifi network or vice versa.



    I do both mobileme and exchange with work and never have this problem.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,470member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post


    When you say you "went from an unlocked 2.0 iPhone to 2.0.1 without restoring it, and it's still unlocked and working on my carrier (not O2)", do you mean an original Gen 1 (EDGE) iPhone or the Gen 2 (3G), because as far as I know, there is no operator unlock for the 3G phone yet.



    Just looking for clarification. The newly release DevTeam now jailbreaks, but does not unlock the 2.0.1 release from Apple.



    I installed 2.0 software on a 1st gen. (aluminum) iPhone. I used PwnageTool to unlock and jailbreak the phone, I used 2.0 software on an unsupported network for a week or two, and then when 2.0.1 came along, I simply installed from iTunes, like one would on a regular AT&T contract iPhone (right on top of the of the cracked software), and the software installed fine, despite being an unlocked and jailbroken iPhone.



    The result; Apple removed the jailbreak, but left the phone unlocked and fully useable on the same unsupported network.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I installed 2.0 software on a 1st gen. (aluminum) iPhone. I used PwnageTool to unlock and jailbreak the phone, I used 2.0 software on an unsupported network for a week or two, and then when 2.0.1 came along, I simply installed from iTunes, like one would on a regular AT&T contract iPhone (right on top of the of the cracked software), and the software installed fine, despite being an unlocked and jailbroken iPhone.



    The result; Apple removed the jailbreak, but left the phone unlocked and fully useable on the same unsupported network.



    Ah, okay. Thanks. I thought I had missed something.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    I'm quite annoyed with your ill informed reply, Apple lock down the iPhone because people cannot be trusted to not develop a hack that for the iPhone, the best way for Apple to prevent this is to have some form of control over what apps are installed on the iPhone.



    I have chosen not to jailbreak my phone so I can use my phone knowing that trusted apps only are installed only on my phone.



    I mean why would anyone develop an app for jailbroken phones only and not through the app store.

    To bypass riles of course.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Could the 'directional GPS' be announced with the release of TomTom for iPhone perhaps? I could well be that TomTom asked apple to add directional GPS...



    That said, the direction can obviously be easily calculated by just comparing two positions over time - that's all GPS can do, so the only thing Apple can be doing is calculating or interpolating the data at a low level - I'm not sure why this can be done any better at a low level than in software...
  • Reply 18 of 84
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) The word 'cracker' is racially insensitive (I'm not serious)



    2) Pwnage Team should change their version numbering to match that of the iPhone that it can be used with, with an 'A', 'B', etc. following the names as it seems to be confusing to some that don't pay much attention to these things.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post


    Imagine a computer blocked to be used with some ISP or with some application. Sounds ridiculous? Well, that is sadly the situation with the iPhone and the iPod Touch.



    I could not agree more. Not just computers, imagine if every cable company had its own proprietary TVs too! Even other phone manufacturers don't do this. Most of them make models that are available through almost every teleco around, GSM or CDMA (some even work on both). There is no acceptable excuse for Apple to force you to use their carrier of choice if you want their product.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post


    There is no acceptable excuse for Apple to force you to use their carrier of choice if you want their product.



    It could be the price that Apple had to pay in order to access the networks. It's in ATTs' interest to keep the iPhone customers locked to their network.
Sign In or Register to comment.