iPods, MacBooks, iMacs up next on Apple's 2008 roadmap

Comments

• Reply 41 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spacevator View Post

Apple's Multi-Touch technology is seriously stunted on the small screen of the iPhone and iPod Touch. I love those products for what they are, but zooming and panning the web on them is really getting old. Apple is sitting on a gold-mine tech here. Let's get the iPhone OS's touch GUI on something just a little bigger!

Just big enough to no longer fit in anyone's pocket so that no one will buy them!

The iPhone and iPod Touch are the size they are for a reason.
  • Reply 42 of 204
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    I fully expect Core i7 (Nehalem) Mac Pros & XServes in November or early December, following the launch of Intel's Core i7 server chips.

Concerning the iMac, I would be disappointed if it didn't include a quad-core model, now that Intel is launching its quad-core mobile chips in September, following the July 14, 2008 launch of the Centrino 2 platform.

My brother bought a quad-core HP desktop computer with Vista last November 2007, 10 months ago. I'm still waiting for Apple to introduce a quad-core family computer, ten months later. Is it going to be an iMac, a brand new tower or a pizza box Performa computer? Whichever it is, Apple needs a quad-core family computer to be competitive in the market place.

Traditionally, Apple uses the month of November, between the 7th and the 22nd day of November, one month before Christmas, to launch a refreshed consumer, family computer, a MacBook or an iMac.

Given the information from AppleInsider's sources, November could see a refreshed iMac this year. And if it's really a low key refresh, the iMac will certainly not carry a Core i7 (Nehalem) server or desktop quad-core chip.

• Reply 43 of 204
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I wonder what they'll do with the iMac. The new design is only a year old.

A year old? Try 4 years. The original white iMac (design) was released August 2004. The current aluminum iMac is just an aluminum retrofit to make it environmentally friendly. There is no difference in its design with the exception of its thickness. The design is basically the same.
  • Reply 44 of 204
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I hope that all Apple laptop optical drives will be external. Not having an internal optical drive is one of the things I like most about my MacBook Air. I wish Apple would sell an 11 inch 1920x1200 MPB with external only optical.

I thought that was a negative about the MBA but I guess I could be wrong.

I'm just wondering when optical drives will be obsolete. Bluray is not the future - downloaded media, SSDs, and flash drives are. Just ask the iPod generation how many optical discs they carry around with their music player. Who takes a stack of DVDs with their laptop on a trip?

I'd like to see an iPod Max product released that has 64Gb of storage can connect to wireless keyboards, mice, monitors, and printer and come with iLife and iWork mobile editions. In other words a system that can replace a computer. Must have the latest bluetooth, infrared, wifi security, and GPS built-in. Apple needs to state that the new all-encompaasing computing platform is the iPod.
  • Reply 45 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Precede?

The margin-reducing Product Transition? Is Cringley finally right?

I still cannot understand why the 15" MacBook Pro can be easily engineered to allow consumer access to the hard drive, but the 24" iMac cannot.

Pro versus consumer? Most people who buy iMacs, I assume, probably don't even consider changing the drive.

Personally, in two decades of pro computer use, I have never changed the drive on one of my machines.
  • Reply 46 of 204
    On the issue of white no longer being part of the color scheme - What about the mighty mouse and the apple remote ... cosmetic changes? I'd love to see a new mighty mouse that has a nav ball that doesn't stop working every 2 weeks. The mighty mouse is the most seriously flawed product Apple currently sells.
  • Reply 47 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I thought that was a negative about the MBA but I guess I could be wrong.

I'm just wondering when optical drives will be obsolete. Bluray is not the future - downloaded media, SSDs, and flash drives are. Just ask the iPod generation how many optical discs they carry around with their music player. Who takes a stack of DVDs with their laptop on a trip?

I certainly don't want to see an external optical drive. While removing it for an ultra-portable machine (MacBook Air) doesn't hurt many, the lack of a drive would be a big hinderance to the masses that burn audio CDs to share with others and take DVDs on road trips(how can you not take a stack with you?? If you take them out of the case, they are as portable as an external drive...and you don't go through the hassle of ripping them). While flash drives and internet file sharing has eaten up a large part of the CD/DVD market, I frequently find myself ripping new CDs into iTunes, burning new CDs to play in the car, inserting CDs others have put files onto, and backing up various things. It would be a big nuisance to carry around an external drive, and the one time you forget that drive will be the one time you will need it. Furthermore, to the less tech-literate a lack of an internal optical drive will be a big turn-off to buying Mac portables (same way the media criticized the MBA at first) and I don't see Apple risking new customers to trim a few ounces off the weight of a notebook.
  • Reply 48 of 204
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    All I want is an external SuperDrive for my 24" iMac with BD movie playback support in 10.5.6.
  • Reply 49 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Just for the love of mock ups, and a little nice spam, I came across this one.

PS: I already posted it in the other thread about Apple's next-gen MacBook Pro casing design revealed, but think this will be more frequented.

Fabulous; my favorite mock-up yet.
  • Reply 50 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And how much of a premium would you be willing to pay?

Remember that the Blu-Ray Disc Association has yet to allow manufacturing in China.

http://www.chinatechnews.com/2008/05...-ray-products/
  • Reply 51 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Bring on the Blu-ray enabled iMacs!

Ug! God no. Why would you want blu-ray on ANY computer? It's locked down like a drum, is a power-hog, and stores less than a good-sized thumb drive.
  • Reply 52 of 204
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Pro versus consumer? Most people who buy iMacs, I assume, probably don't even consider changing the drive.

Personally, in two decades of pro computer use, I have never changed the drive on one of my machines.

What?

I've changed drives often, since my Sawtooth G4 was (and still is) a great workhorse.

I'd never upgrade RAM or HD size at Apple's prices, and outlets like TigerDirect offer brand-name replacements at great prices. Of course, I've upgraded the processor and graphics card too, and my Franken Sawtooth runs Tiger great.

Maybe I'm just weird, but I see RAM and HDs as parts that should be accessible in ANY computer.

Without that, it's like buying a car and not having access to anything under the hood.
  • Reply 53 of 204
    Quote:

Yeah. I wonder if an enterprising third party could make an alternate rear backplate for the 24" imac?

Is it even possible to access the HD if there was a 'back door' opening?

I've worked on several of the aluminum iMacs and I don't think they're hard to work on. Certainly not as hard as a 12" Powerbook, for example, or the old iBooks. Less than 10 minutes to take one apart and most of the important parts are accessed easily.
  • Reply 54 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jittery jimmy View Post

Ug! God no. Why would you want blu-ray on ANY computer? It's locked down like a drum, is a power-hog, and stores less than a good-sized thumb drive.

Most people want Blu-Ray because it's the flavor of the day, not because they have any real use for it.
  • Reply 55 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ralphdaily View Post

I am looking for a mac mini upgrade. I use a 20" ACD, don't care for the iMac screen, and really don't want or need to spend money or limited space in my area for a Mac Pro. It's gross overkill for what I do. My existing mac mini is in pretty good shape but an upgrade would be welcome.

The mini really hits the spot. It's not just money, it hits a different market need than the iMac or MP.

My mini is a workhorse and my only regret about it is that it's only a 1.42 Ghz G4 system. I'll probably keep it until it dies. It's a good system and it's really cool when I pack it away in it's mini carrying case to take on trips. Unlike my 20" iMac, which is luggable but not cool.
  • Reply 56 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

I've worked on several of the aluminum iMacs and I don't think they're hard to work on. Certainly not as hard as a 12" Powerbook, for example, or the old iBooks. Less than 10 minutes to take one apart and most of the important parts are accessed easily.

Really? I was told the process of removing the LCD was definitely not something that should be done outside of a service provider.

I have, however, personally replaced the drive in a 12" Powerbook without a problem.
  • Reply 57 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

A year old? Try 4 years. The original white iMac (design) was released August 2004. The current aluminum iMac is just an aluminum retrofit to make it environmentally friendly. There is no difference in its design with the exception of its thickness. The design is basically the same.

Not true. The aluminum iMac have done away with all the sticky foil that the plastic iMacs used to shield the internal components. That makes the newer systems MUCH easier to work on than the old ones. Taking the front bezel off is also easier on the new iMacs. Replacing parts like a power supply on the new systems is a LOT easier than replacing the power supply on the old systems if for no other reason that you don't have to remove the logic board to reach the power connector that just under the ducting for the heat sync on the plastic iMac. (Stupid design!) The only reason I haven't traded in my plastic Intel iMac for one of the newer ones is that I'm waiting to see what the "product transition" adds to the system. (Maybe it's going to be matte screens!)
  • Reply 58 of 204
    Quote:

Really? I was told the process of removing the LCD was definitely not something that should be done outside of a service provider.

I have, however, personally replaced the drive in a 12" Powerbook without a problem.

I am a service provider. As with most things, being careful and taking it slow the first time is important. I'd say the only thing which would stop most people are the special tools needed to remove the glass plate on the front of the screen. Apple recommends you use suction cups, anti-lint gloves and a silicon roller when working with the glass cover. (The roller is used to remove lint from the inside surface of the glass before you put it back on the computer. If you don't then any dust on the inside might as well have a circle drawn around it and arrows pointing towards each spec to make them even more annoying.) Otherwise they're easy to work on.
  • Reply 59 of 204
    Night9 seems to have intimate knowledge of the Force, and may help Apple sell me a 24" iMac next weekend.
  • Reply 60 of 204
    "Cost-effective" or "affordable".