iPods, MacBooks, iMacs up next on Apple's 2008 roadmap

Comments

• Reply 61 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Night9 seems to have intimate knowledge of the Force, and may help Apple sell me a 24" iMac next weekend.

I know as much as any of you know about upcoming products, which is next to nothing. Not high enough on the digital food chain. What I've been telling people the past 2 months is that they should hold off based on the comments made back in July by Apple execs regarding the "product transition".

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that they're probably going to make the transition over to all LED-based LCDs, product redesigns similar to some of the mockups being floated around different rumor sites and faster processors. Plus something else that we don't know-one more thing! All things worth waiting for and I'll be first in line for a new laptop!
  • Reply 62 of 204
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by night9hawk View Post

I am a service provider. As with most things, being careful and taking it slow the first time is important. I'd say the only thing which would stop most people are the special tools needed to remove the glass plate on the front of the screen. Apple recommends you use suction cups, anti-lint gloves and a silicon roller when working with the glass cover. (The roller is used to remove lint from the inside surface of the glass before you put it back on the computer. If you don't then any dust on the inside might as well have a circle drawn around it and arrows pointing towards each spec to make them even more annoying.) Otherwise they're easy to work on.

Cool. Thanks for the tip. You've helped a lot. Memo: add 'silicon roller' to shopping list.

Quote:

I know as much as any of you know about upcoming products, which is next to nothing. Not high enough on the digital food chain. What I've been telling people the past 2 months is that they should hold off based on the comments made back in July by Apple execs regarding the "product transition".

That's fine. The current 24" iMacs are great for me. The one hold-back was the hard drive thing.

And yes, the 'product transition' is likely new LEDs, Blu-Ray or a special chip on the motherboard and will likely disappoint many who think it's some new whiz-bang product.
  • Reply 63 of 204
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm hoping for a BD writer. The drives are cheap now and the movies are everywhere.

There's no excuse not to offer it as an option.

It isn't a matter of price. It's a matter of desire.

I bought the Digital Audio model when the first Pioneer DVD writer was costing $999. Apple offered that on the top tower model.

If Apple wanted to, they could have added HDCP support to the OS and hardware at any time. They haven't.

Do you think their business in downloads has something to do with that? ( Hint! Not a real question.)
  • Reply 64 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm just repeating what Kasper said.

Yes, he did.

Quote:

A lot of replies don't necessarily mean that the story itself had more hits as a story with fewer replies.

Good point!
  • Reply 65 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

PS

If you want to see an interesting movie about California wines see BOTTLE SHOCK!

D

The movie was highly entertaining but probably not accurately telling the story. I look forward to the related movie project "Judgement of Paris" and hope that it gives the red wines more respect than just a side show as in Bottle Shock.

Anyhow, as a longtime Windows user who plans to switch to a MacBook Pro, I hope that they will not delay the new iteration into January 2009...
  • Reply 66 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

A year old? Try 4 years. The original white iMac (design) was released August 2004. The current aluminum iMac is just an aluminum retrofit to make it environmentally friendly. There is no difference in its design with the exception of its thickness. The design is basically the same.

You're getting into the externals vs the internals. He was talking about the externals, which is what most of us are referring to when we talk about redesigns.

We had this debate on another thread a short while ago.
  • Reply 67 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juancircled View Post

On the issue of white no longer being part of the color scheme - What about the mighty mouse and the apple remote ... cosmetic changes? I'd love to see a new mighty mouse that has a nav ball that doesn't stop working every 2 weeks. The mighty mouse is the most seriously flawed product Apple currently sells.

It's really quite amazing that Apple would put so much effort into a redesign of their venerable one button design, mostly successfully, without allowing for the cleaning of its one moving component.

I've cleaned the sections of the mouse with the ball, but it takes a good deal of time and energy. I did it just to show that it could be done, but I wouldn't want to do it with regularity.
  • Reply 68 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jittery jimmy View Post

Ug! God no. Why would you want blu-ray on ANY computer? It's locked down like a drum, is a power-hog, and stores less than a good-sized thumb drive.

Because people want to view BD movies on their machines, and because it stores MUCH more than the largest thumb drive. It's also far cheaper to use rewritable BD disks that using another thumb drive each time.

And what do 25Gb and 50GB thumb drives go for?
  • Reply 69 of 204
    Quote:

Most people want Blu-Ray because it's the flavor of the day, not because they have any real use for it.

Ah, ignorance reigns supreme!
  • Reply 70 of 204
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're getting into the externals vs the internals. He was talking about the externals, which is what most of us are referring to when we talk about redesigns.

We had this debate on another thread a short while ago.

You meant he was talking internals.

OK fine- but I'm talking about external redesign which is now due. Also most people I know when talking of design mean external- depends who your talking to.

When a car gets a new engine only - is that a new car design? I don't think so.
  • Reply 71 of 204
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Because people want to view BD movies on their machines, and because it stores MUCH more than the largest thumb drive. It's also far cheaper to use rewritable BD disks that using another thumb drive each time.

And what do 25Gb and 50GB thumb drives go for?

I checked when I saw that post. A 32GB thumb drive sells for roughly $90 to $120 on Newegg. They don't list any 64GB drives, 32GB is the biggest they sell. I personally think that both kinds of media have different uses, capacity isn't the only consideration.
  • Reply 72 of 204
    Quote:

Most people want Blu-Ray because it's the flavor of the day, not because they have any real use for it.

Flavor of the day? You must still use laserdisc instead of DVD.
  • Reply 73 of 204
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

OK fine- but I'm talking about external redesign which is now due. Also most people I know when talking of design mean external- depends who your talking to.

This analogy in this post suggests that you're saying that the body didn't change. The overall silhouette didn't change much, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a new design. I don't know what you would expect in order for you to call it a new design. Even cars don't change that much on a redesign, they don't suddenly become minivans, trucks or crossovers, the overall form is usually roughly the same even if the styling changed.
  • Reply 74 of 204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juancircled View Post

On the issue of white no longer being part of the color scheme - What about the mighty mouse and the apple remote ... cosmetic changes? I'd love to see a new mighty mouse that has a nav ball that doesn't stop working every 2 weeks. The mighty mouse is the most seriously flawed product Apple currently sells.

You obviously don't own an Apple TV.
  • Reply 75 of 204
    Quote:

This analogy in this post suggests that you're saying that the body didn't change. The overall silhouette didn't change much, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't a new design. I don't know what you would expect in order for you to call it a new design. Even cars don't change that much on a redesign, they don't suddenly become minivans, trucks or crossovers, the overall form is usually roughly the same even if the styling changed.

Redesign:

A different pedestal (the same).

A different body footprint (the same).

A different mouse (the same).

There have basically been 3 diff iMac designs- 1). The original TV bubble, 2.)The lamp iMac , and 3.the white /aluminum one.

Everything else has been a modification on a design but not a new design.
  • Reply 76 of 204
    Quote:

Ug! God no. Why would you want blu-ray on ANY computer? It's locked down like a drum, is a power-hog, and stores less than a good-sized thumb drive.

i couldn't agree more...

optical media is going to be extinct with a few years.
  • Reply 77 of 204
    Quote:

We're saying the same thing here now. You mentioned that the design was similar for four years, except for the externals. You apparently meant that the basic shape was the same, as the design is quite different.
  • Reply 78 of 204
    Quote:

I checked when I saw that post. A 32GB thumb drive sells for roughly $90 to $120 on Newegg. They don't list any 64GB drives, 32GB is the biggest they sell. I personally think that both kinds of media have different uses, capacity isn't the only consideration.

That was kind of the point I was making. It wasn't a real question.

My point was that it's much cheaper to record on BD disks if you want to keep the data for a while, then to record on large thumb drives, and to use a new one each time you save data. The other point was that there are no 50Gb+ thumb drives yet.
  • Reply 79 of 204
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I'd like to see an iPod Max product released that has 64Gb of storage can connect to wireless keyboards, mice, monitors, and printer and come with iLife and iWork mobile editions. In other words a system that can replace a computer. Must have the latest bluetooth, infrared, wifi security, and GPS built-in. Apple needs to state that the new all-encompaasing computing platform is the iPod.

Give it the microDVI connector from the MacBook Air and then it can replace a computer.
  • Reply 80 of 204
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:

It's only fairly recently that 32GB USB thumb drives have been introduced and they are selling for $100.00. 64GB USB thumb drives are selling for $350.00 So a 50GB USB drive which doesn't exist would sell for about $225.00.

A Blu-Ray disc can hold 50GB and decent brands sell for about $20.00.

Even if they were the same price, I'd rather have a DVD book of nicely labeled discs rather than a box of hundreds of unlabeled thumb drives sloshing around.

For people who have lots of data to back up Blu-Ray is good. And the prices for Blu-Ray will drop faster than those thumb drives. Discs prices fall faster than Flash memory.

And we haven't even started talking about video and audio uses and "movie back ups" on Blu-Ray.