Wal-Mart next to carry Apple's iPhone - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Discount department chain Wal-Mart may become the second independent US retailer to carry Apple's vaunted iPhone 3G next month, according to an unconfirmed report.

Citing one of its "ninjas," BGR claims to have it on good authority that the big-box retailer will join Best Buy as the only other third-party iPhone reseller ahead of the holiday shopping season.

Specifically, the gadget blog believes an announcement is scheduled for Saturday, November 15th, approximately two weeks before Black Friday -- traditionally the start of the US holiday shopping season and busiest shopping day of the year.

BGR had previously joined AppleInsider in accurately predicting (1, 2) that Best Buy would become Apple's first authorized third party sales channel for the iPhone. However, it added in those reports that Radio Shack was also poised to carry the device.

The gadget blog said its uncertain whether Radio Shack is still in the running to receive the iPhone, but suggests that Wal-Mart "has swooped down and stolen" its thunder for the meantime.

Wal-Mart is the world's largest public corporation and private employer, operating over 3500 Discount and Supercenter locations in the United States alone. The retailer is also one of Apple's highest volume iPod resellers worldwide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Well they are made in China after all
  • Reply 2 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well they are made in China after all

The is the first reason I have found for me to not buy an iPhone. Thanks for pioneering offshore production and driving American Manufacturing in the ground, all a pre-cursor to our current economic turmoil, but you are going to sell iPhones. Thanks Wal-Mart!

Any news on next year's price since you demand your suppliers to supply the next model with more features for a lesser price?
  • Reply 3 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adammull View Post

The is the first reason I have found for me to not buy an iPhone. Thanks for pioneering offshore production and driving American Manufacturing in the ground, all a pre-cursor to our current economic turmoil, but you are going to sell iPhones. Thanks Wal-Mart!

Indeed, thank God great companies like Apple do all their manufacturing in the U.S. Oh wait... well, of course, it's WAL-MART's fault that Apple makes their products in China! Yeah, thats it.

Quote:

Any news on next year's price since you demand your suppliers to supply the next model with more features for a lesser price?

Yes, because heaven forbid the consumer gets a better price on a product with more features! How DARE they! Apple is such a small, tiny upstart company, they don't deserve to be squeezed in that way. Its a damn shame that these big, corporate titans beat up on little old Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 113
    wjhmhwjhmh Posts: 55member
    Walmart may offer the iphone but I highly doubt they will stock it. They work with companies like letstalk.com that processes the orders then ships out to the customer. One of many problems with letstalk.com is they offer remanufactured phones from the Philippines so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was passed on the Walmart consumer.
  • Reply 5 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Auream View Post

Indeed, thank God great companies like Apple do all their manufacturing in the U.S. Oh wait... well, of course, it's WAL-MART's fault that Apple makes their products in China! Yeah, thats it.

Yes, because heaven forbid the consumer gets a better price on a product with more features! How DARE they! Apple is such a small, tiny upstart company, they don't deserve to be squeezed in that way. Its a damn shame that these big, corporate titans beat up on little old Apple!

Yes, Wal-Mart was one of the first. Capitalism is really the main cause. Do you supply anything to Wal-Mart, or do you just pretend to know what you are talking about?

They are awful.
  • Reply 6 of 113
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I am soooo glad if all goes well in a few days time I am getting the F*K out of Retail. Retail is just hosed, in no matter what country, Apple or not. End of story.
  • Reply 7 of 113
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMBBBBBBBBBBLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

I can't wait for the egos to collide in this partnership. Talk about two control freak companies. This should be interesting. I would love to be a fly on the wall in those negotiations.
  • Reply 8 of 113
    Does Wal-mart sell iPods?
  • Reply 9 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Does Wal-mart sell iPods?

Never mind: answered my own question. http://www.walmart.com/search/search....y=0&Find=Find
  • Reply 10 of 113
    Quote:

Thanks for pioneering offshore production and driving American Manufacturing in the ground, all a pre-cursor to our current economic turmoil

Quote:

Capitalism is really the main cause.

Wrong.

Quote:

They are awful.

No they aren't. Through much greater retail and distribution efficiency, Wal-Mart has helped to lower prices for many people.
  • Reply 11 of 113
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Eew!

make that - EEEEWWW!
  • Reply 12 of 113
    I'm so glad that all the Joe Six-packs and Mavericky hockey-moms will be sportin' iPhones down the road.
  • Reply 13 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMBBBBBBBBBBLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

I can't wait for the egos to collide in this partnership. Talk about two control freak companies. This should be interesting. I would love to be a fly on the wall in those negotiations.

Should be interesting. But Apple is in a different position that some of the companies Wal-Mart has worked with before in that they already have a very successful direct retail and distribution system. It gives Apple a bit more leverage than others might have. I also think that part of what happens with Wal-Mart is that they "scare" companies into compliance. I don't mean this in the mafia sense of it. It's really more that companies scare themselves into compliance. They get scared of not being on Wal-Mart's store shelves. I think Apple is less likely to suffer from this malady.

I also think Apple has a more differentiated product than many of the companies that have run up against Wal-Mart. This gives them additional leverage.
  • Reply 14 of 113
    What is the problem everyone has with Wal-Mart? Everyone thinks the big guy is always evil. Wal-Mart got to the size they are because of a good business model? and they succeeded. You can argue all day long if their business model is ethical or not, but it doesn?t matter.

And who gives a crap anyway? Wal-Mart is a huge chain and they sell a ton of iPods for Apple. You know what happens when a product ships more units because it is more widely available to the consumer? Prices drop!

Stop whining? this is good news. Everyone has a problem with Wal-Mart just because it is the cool thing to do.
  • Reply 15 of 113
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I am soooo glad if all goes well in a few days time I am getting the F*K out of Retail. Retail is just hosed, in no matter what country, Apple or not. End of story.

Really! You work at an Apple reseller, right? What are your plans now?
  • Reply 16 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

What is the problem everyone has with Wal-Mart? Everyone thinks the big guy is always evil. Wal-Mart got to the size they are because of a good business model… and they succeeded. You can argue all day long if their business model is ethical or not, but it doesn’t matter.

And who gives a crap anyway? Wal-Mart is a huge chain and they sell a ton of iPods for Apple. You know what happens when a product ships more units because it is more widely available to the consumer? Prices drop!

Stop whining… this is good news. Everyone has a problem with Wal-Mart just because it is the cool thing to do.

That's not the problem. Walmart is just plain tacky. Target would have been a better move.

I would expect to find a Zune in a Walmart not an iPhone.

Jonathan Ive must be cringing.
  • Reply 17 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

Stop whining? this is good news.

Yes it is. Apple is trying to find more ways and places to sell more product. They want to be selling 100 million iPhones a year. They cannot do this only through the Apple (retail and online) stores, at&t stores and Best Buy.

Assuming these are carried at all Wal-Mart stores then, where I live, the iPhone suddenly becomes 2-3 times more available (compared to Apple, at&t and Best Buy retail stores) to customers. Nice.

This is great news.
  • Reply 18 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Target would have been a better move.

True. I'm a little surprised about that part of this. Maybe Target didn't want to play. Who knows.
  • Reply 19 of 113
    Interesting - AAPL stock jumps plus $14 and everyone starts getting giddy! Keep those energetic posts flying!
  • Reply 20 of 113
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Yes, Wal-Mart was one of the first. Capitalism is really the main cause. Do you supply anything to Wal-Mart, or do you just pretend to know what you are talking about?

They are awful.

I know. It's really a shame that people who otherwise couldn't afford things can afford them because Wal Mart squeezes their suppliers. I wish those poor people would just go without, you know?