Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 181 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Re-Quoted for Truth?.

Dude, spread it on other sites!
  • Reply 182 of 522
    I think apple has actually overdone it this time. the new macbook is the same price as one i bought 14 months ago but has worse specs. Its nice they spent so much time and money on making it look pretty, its what defines apple, but you can't compensate by downgrading the actual COMPUTER part. what happened to moores law? not for apple - who wants a sh*tty 160GB hard drive? the seagate 320gb drives that the earlier version came with are about US$50 retail but apple wants 4 times that just to upgrade the drive. Anyone really care about the graphics card on a 13 inch screen? who runs graphic intensive programmes on a macbook screen? extra costs anyone? you now have to fork out $19 just for the remote? and lets not forget the essential hidden cost of applecare protection... because you know you're going to need it.
  • Reply 183 of 522
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

They're not 'haters' so much as guys who worship 'the Steve way' overly much and always go along with the party line, no matter what.

Anyways, those who have something to say about the the announcements? [email protected] is the addy. Let 'im know what you think.

And yes, the Feedback thing on Apple's site.

Anyone who doesn't criticize Apple automatically worships at the alter of Steve.

George Bush says anyone who criticizes America isn't patriotic.

Both are very lazy rational.
  • Reply 184 of 522
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Anyone who doesn't criticize Apple automatically worships at the alter of Steve.

Not everyone. But many, yes.

And did you ever stop to think that criticism of Apple, where warranted, actually makes Apple STRONGER, not weaker?

To use the Bush argument you just referenced, the current administration's major problem is that they never listened to criticism, only to one another. And look where it got them.

• Reply 185 of 522
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I have some errands to run. Teno, talk to the hand 'til I get back.

• Reply 186 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by riversky View Post

Huh?? Well so is Porsche, Bentley and Aston Martin...... You have to pay for premium brands and technology. You can always drive a Honda. Solution. Make more money.

sorry but if a porsche or aston martin had a slower , less economical engine, missing plugs and you had to pay 4 times retail to upgrade a tiny petrol tank do you still think it would be a 'premium' product.

solution...don't be such a c*ck
  • Reply 187 of 522
  • Reply 188 of 522
    Quote:

Not everyone. But many, yes.

And did you ever stop to think that criticism of Apple, where warranted, actually makes Apple STRONGER, not weaker?

To use the Bush argument you just referenced, the current administration's major problem is that they never listened to criticism, only to one another. And look where it got them.

Apple isn't operating in a vacuum. Every computer manufacturer has to make compromises in one way or another.

I'm not saying Apple is perfect. They certainly like to take risks. But I think people are having emotional reaction more than looking at the reality of the market and how Apple has increased sales.

Of course its always possible the gamble won't work. We will have to see.
  • Reply 189 of 522
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Amen to that. You can buy a PC laptop with 17 inch screen for less than the cheapest macbook, why can't apple offer budget versions of the different screen sizes?

I just sent the complaint to Apple-

Need a larger consumer laptop and give us the option of no glossy screens.
  • Reply 190 of 522
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    damn, when apple going to release AFFORDABLE 15" notebook

you can call it pro or what ever you want

damn seriously where is the 15" MacBook?
  • Reply 191 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crackbook View Post

I think apple has actually overdone it this time. the new macbook is the same price as one i bought 14 months ago but has worse specs. Its nice they spent so much time and money on making it look pretty, its what defines apple, but you can't compensate by downgrading the actual COMPUTER part. what happened to moores law? not for apple - who wants a sh*tty 160GB hard drive? the seagate 320gb drives that the earlier version came with are about US$50 retail but apple wants 4 times that just to upgrade the drive. Anyone really care about the graphics card on a 13 inch screen? who runs graphic intensive programmes on a macbook screen? extra costs anyone? you now have to fork out $19 just for the remote? and lets not forget the essential hidden cost of applecare protection... because you know you're going to need it.

Apple was already using Penryn the only thing that changed was the chipset. Their has been no significant change in Intel mobile processors since Penryn. The next big advance will be next year.

The previous MacBook offered a maximum 250GB HDD. The MacBook Pro offered 320GB HDD for $50 upgrade not the MacBook. Now the MB also offers a 128GB SDD.

Yes people do care about the graphics card. That was one of the main complaints of the MacBook.

I wouldn't buy anyones notebook without the extended warranty. Its not a hidden cost. You get it or you don't.
  • Reply 192 of 522
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchleeh View Post

People,

I'm new, long time mac user, but have been reading for awhile. If you really want to see your complaints go to good use, and want do see change, then go here (someone else already suggested, but nothing really was done):

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

Make an official complaint, and I can promise you that if enough of us do it, apple will listen - and HOPEFULLY change prices and problems!

Please please please do it! Complain about whatever you want - just make sure you include the crappy prices!

Thanks!

DONE!

Apple is really after $$$, where is the 15" macbook?????
  • Reply 193 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crackbook View Post

sorry but if a porsche or aston martin had a slower , less economical engine, missing plugs and you had to pay 4 times retail to upgrade a tiny petrol tank do you still think it would be a 'premium' product.

solution...don't be such a c*ck

Do you know anything about cars? Clearly not, because if you did, you would know that the fastest and most reliable cars money can buy right now are badged with Nissan, Dodge, and Chevrolet (the GT-R, the Viper ACR and the Corvette ZR-1) and they cost orders of magnitude less than their equivalent Porsche, Aston Martin, and Ferrari counterparts AND manage to be more economical on fuel and maintenance.

And yet Ferrari still has so many orders that you can't get one new for as many as 4 years and Porsche just had their highest sales year ever with Aston Martin not far behind. The point is, people are willing to pay more for a premium product, performance and features be damned, so if you want to play, you've got to pay. If you can't afford it, get something else or nothing at all. You don't see people whining about not being able to afford an Aston Martin DBS, so why are they whining about this?
  • Reply 194 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Yes you can, I just bought a 320 Gb drive for my Black MacBook (with Firewire ;-p ). It works great.

What happened to all the Mac Fanboys? Apple can do no wrong, right?!

That nice new Lenovo IdeaPad S10 at $399 looks better and better everyday. I have a nice powerful Mac desktop at home, don't need an overpriced laptop for traveling...

Anyone want to buy my MacBook? $1300 firm

Does swapping out the hard drive screw up applecare?
  • Reply 195 of 522
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can't you use a firewire-usb adapter??? or is that intrinsically wrong???

if not then its a big loss, but you all told me to buy triple interface HD and dvd externals

maybe apples solution is for timemachine to be "bootable" using superduper

boy am i glad i got triple iterface peripherals
  • Reply 196 of 522
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    T-Bag, the track record just does not support the specifics of your claim: "market dislikes today's announcement."

I'm not saying if AAPL introduced a diamond encrusted 5 Ghz, 500GB laptop for $375 that their stock would not skyrocket. It would. And it didn't happen today.

Let's talk when the sales numbers come in, 6 months from now. Whadya bet the market will "like" these units once the revenue numbers come in?

If AAPL miscalculated here, they can redeem with a killer speed-bump 8 months from now. There overall position is good, not shockingly good but not unlike the past either (which has, if we take a moment of quiet reflection, been rather good).
  • Reply 197 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Do you know anything about cars? Clearly not, because if you did, you would know that the fastest and most reliable cars money can buy right now are badged with Nissan, Dodge, and Chevrolet (the GT-R, the Viper ACR and the Corvette ZR-1) and they cost orders of magnitude less than their equivalent Porsche, Aston Martin, and Ferrari counterparts AND manage to be more economical on fuel and maintenance.

And yet Ferrari still has so many orders that you can't get one new for as many as 4 years and Porsche just had their highest sales year ever with Aston Martin not far behind. The point is, people are willing to pay more for a premium product, performance and features be damned, so if you want to play, you've got to pay. If you can't afford it, get something else or nothing at all. You don't see people whining about not being able to afford an Aston Martin DBS, so why are they whining about this?

The car analogy isn't really that appropriate. With computers there's the hardware and there's the OS. In the case of Apple the hardware is mostly the same as what the competition is selling but you have to get it if you want the OS.

There's nothing stopping apple from releasing great entry level machines and making a ton of sales and profits while they're at it. A cheaper machine running OSX is still going to have the same OS as an expensive one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cosmickd View Post

Does swapping out the hard drive screw up applecare?

Usually not. And if you're paranoid you can always save the old one to stick back in if it needs warranty work.
  • Reply 198 of 522
    Everyone,

Please calm down. Let's see what shows up in the local Apple Store on Oct. 15.

I think it will be spectacular in terms of size, less weight, much improved design, graphics chips/speed. better display, improved battery life, etc. The new CPU's and front side bus will likely make a big difference in terms of performance.

I plan to go to the Apple Store tomorrow, and if all is good, I will buy a new 13" Macbook for $1499. at the education price. Do they give you the education price in the retail stores?

Yes, it is about $200. over-priced. They can lower the price in the future. But, I need a Mac laptop now. So, it will probably be the new Macbook for me.

Alan
  • Reply 199 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple was already using Penryn the only thing that changed was the chipset. Their has been no significant change in Intel mobile processors since Penryn. The next big advance will be next year.

The previous MacBook offered a maximum 250GB HDD. The MacBook Pro offered 320GB HDD for $50 upgrade not the MacBook. Now the MB also offers a 128GB SDD.

Yes people do care about the graphics card. That was one of the main complaints of the MacBook.

I wouldn't buy anyones notebook without the extended warranty. Its not a hidden cost. You get it or you don't.

wisecrack my general point was that you get the same computer or worse, for more cost, a year later.

ok sure the maximum offered drive was 250GB but they fit a $50 320GB drive don't they. (not $50 updgrade - $50 retail, so you still have the 250 or 160Gb drive to use as an external)

if i bought a similar spec dell laptop for half the price i wouldn't get an extended warranty because if it died i could buy another one and still not spend as much overall.
  • Reply 200 of 522
    I NEED TO KNOW!

how significant is the 2.0 to 2.4 GHZ jump.

is it worth that much?

and would i actually see in terms of performance???