Apple announces new 13-inch MacBook

Comments

• Reply 161 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I would've thought that it would've been obvious given how AAPL started its dive at the same time as the announcement, and went down significantly more than the market as a whole, but ppl see what they want to see I guess.

And I would have thought it would have been obvious that the averages started their dive at the same time as AAPL's dive. And I don't think most people would consider a 2-4 point difference significantly more.

But whatever, as you said, people see what they want to see.
  • Reply 162 of 522
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bokuwaomar View Post

You should never take rumors as fact. The economic crisis that we're in now did not exist a year ago when these models were being designed. Bad timing? Maybe. Crazy? No. The next time around, the $999 Macbook will be of the new design and the price points will end up being lower anyway.

I am a bit saddened about the lack of firewire (casualty of putting all the ports on the left), but not enough to refuse to buy it. A 15 inch macbook model would make more sense than the 13 inch $1599 model though. Something needs to bridge the huge gap between the consumer and pro laptop lines. Oh, and Apple could have inexpensively bumped the RAM in the entry Macbook model to 2GB.

Yup, I was waiting for a slightly larger macbook. Apple is the only computer maker without a 15 inch consumer model laptop. I want to use it as a main computer and 13 inches is just too small and $2000 for a macbook Pro is just too much.

I keep looking for ways to spend money on a new computer but Apple just refuses to take my money.
  • Reply 163 of 522
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And I would have thought it would have been obvious that the averages started their dive at the same time as AAPL's dive. And I don't think most people would consider a 2-4 point difference significantly more.

But whatever, as you said, people see what they want to see.

If you think investors are lovin' what they saw today, then I don't know what to tell ya.

AAPL will recover, but not based on anything that came out of today's event. This was a 'stay the course' refresh, that also unfortunately re-affirmed Apple's reluctance to eat Dell's, HP's, etc's lunch in the upper reaches of the sub-$1K market.

And the pulling of FW was a slap in the face.

• Reply 164 of 522
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchleeh View Post

thank you thank you... it will work if we can just get momentum.

mr steve will listen to us... this is an outrage.

or alternatively, just don't buy. that would work too.

who is with me?

We on this board are not the majority of Apples revenue and marketshare gains.

Apple's gains come from people who are busy living real life and pay as little attention to technology and spec sheets as possible.

Opinions on this board are like a fart in a hurricane in the larger sense.
  • Reply 165 of 522
    Quote:

If you think investors are lovin' what they saw today, then I don't know what to tell ya.

AAPL will recover, but not based on anything that came out of today's event. This was a 'stay the course' refresh, that also unfortunately re-affirmed Apple's reluctance to eat Dell's, HP's, etc's lunch in the sub-$1K market.

And the pulling of FW was a slap in the face.

Looking at day to day stock gains and falls is just this side of useless. Its the long term trends that matter most.

Pulling FW is a slap in the face who? When most in the PC market don't use it.
  • Reply 166 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple's gains come from people who are busy living real life and pay as little attention to technology and spec sheets as possible.

alright! you did not understand! you have mistaken me!

this is not an opinion, but an order and a command to actually do something.

you have the same mentality as some who does not vote... aka "why does it matter, i am one face in the crowd of millions."

you dont understand how easy changes in prices could be made with a group of people sending feedback.

it's simple, and it takes 32.4 seconds.

im sure your reply to this will take much much longer.
  • Reply 167 of 522
    Quote:

And yet somehow, the Internet-based outrage over the screwing of early iPhone adopters got Apple to give out $100 credit coupons.

Don't kid yourself, Apple does listen, if only sometimes.

• Reply 168 of 522
    Quote:

Quote:

And yet somehow, the Internet-based outrage over the screwing of early iPhone adopters got Apple to give out $100 credit coupons.

Thank you for your faith! Tell all your friends, and forum buddies! Don't listen to the haters!
  • Reply 169 of 522
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member
    Quote:

Looking at day to day stock gains and falls is just this side of useless. Its the long term trends that matter most.

I will give you the point about most people not using firewire, but most Apple users looking to upgrade certainly do use firewire.

$1299 is a big enough slap in the face, no firewire and no expresscard slot is more like a knee to the nuts.
  • Reply 170 of 522
    Quote:

Since you don't offer any support of this beyond your opinion, I'm gonna assume you don't have an argument here.

Quote:

Who cares what those in the PC market do? We're Mac users, and plenty of us have FW hardware.

• Reply 171 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steve666 View Post

Yup, I was waiting for a slightly larger macbook. Apple is the only computer maker without a 15 inch consumer model laptop.

Amen to that. You can buy a PC laptop with 17 inch screen for less than the cheapest macbook, why can't apple offer budget versions of the different screen sizes?

Quote:

I don't think they're lovin' it. I just don't think when a stock follows the same directions as the broader markets, only going a couple points further, it's significant enough to draw a conclusion from. If The Market really has an opinion on something, it's going to make a change bigger than the ones that happen on any random day when there's no news.

To use what is probably a weak analogy, if this were an election poll, the change would be within the margin of error.
  • Reply 172 of 522
    Quote:

Thank you for your faith! Tell all your friends, and forum buddies! Don't listen to the haters!

They're not 'haters' so much as guys who worship 'the Steve way' overly much and always go along with the party line, no matter what.

Anyways, those who have something to say about the the announcements? [email protected] is the addy. Let 'im know what you think.

And yes, the Feedback thing on Apple's site.

• Reply 173 of 522
    Quote:

alright! you did not understand! you have mistaken me!

this is not an opinion, but an order and a command to actually do something.

you have the same mentality as some who does not vote... aka "why does it matter, i am one face in the crowd of millions."

you dont understand how easy changes in prices could be made with a group of people sending feedback.

it's simple, and it takes 32.4 seconds.

im sure your reply to this will take much much longer.

The real and ultimate vote is with money.

If the market doesn't like Apples line up and sales go down then it was a bad choice. If Apple sales continue their rise then it was the right choice.
  • Reply 174 of 522
    Quote:

People like to think it to give them some source of power. But we don't know that for sure.

People on the web complain about a lot of things about Apple. That doesn't sway them.
  • Reply 175 of 522
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Amen to that. The aluminum models are a nice improvement, but it's incredibly stupid for apple to put so much focus on the high end and offer basically nothing for people on a budget. They are telling a large share of the market to get lost.

Huh?? Well so is Porsche, Bentley and Aston Martin...... You have to pay for premium brands and technology. You can always drive a Honda. Solution. Make more money.
  • Reply 176 of 522
    Quote:

WOOPS!

just send negative feedback here please!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

together we can make a difference! all fanboy/rumor sites need to encourage users to send feedback here... change will happen!!!

Re-Quoted for Truth™.

• Reply 177 of 522
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Man, I was all ready to replace my old MBP with one of the new 15" models but those UK prices are insane. I guess my current one will have to last a bit longer.
  • Reply 178 of 522
    Quote:

Since you don't offer any support of this beyond your opinion, I'm gonna assume you don't have an argument here.

Its the truth. But it doesn't fit the conclusion you want to make.

Quote:

Who cares what those in the PC market do? We're Mac users, and plenty of us have FW hardware.

Because 50% of people buying Macs are coming from the PC. Those people have not and will not use FW.
  • Reply 179 of 522
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,810member
    Looks like I might finally be willing to try out OSX86 and build my own Hackintosh. It is apparent that Apple will not release a laptop for me.

At $699 this looks pretty damn sweet. 4 USB, Firewire, 15.4", 320GB, 4GB Ram, and an expresscard slot. Seems like this one works well with OSX86 too.
  • Reply 180 of 522
    Quote:

People like to think it to give them some source of power. But we don't know that for sure.

People on the web complain about a lot of things about Apple. That doesn't sway them.

Teno, if you want to be a nattering nabob of negativity, that's your deal. Easiest thing in the world is to sit on your arse and go along.

But some ppl prefer to speak up.