Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 161 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I expect to see a new Mac Mini or Mac Mini-like device at MWSF, that will also use the MagSafe connector so it can attached to these new ACDs with this simple, clean cabling in mind.

Sounds like a great idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boondox View Post

The picture TenoBell posted that shows the laptop connected to this ACD highly appeals to me, along with the note that someone posted that says this allows you to use your laptop as a desktop. If you start off with the assumption that I'm not an idiot, then of course I know this is possible with displays from other companies as well. However, the way this all fits together appeals to me personally and I'd consider the product. That's all I'm advocating here, consideration.

Sounds reasonable to me.
  • Reply 162 of 184
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This would force you to plug the monitor, power, keyboard/mouse, printer, external HDD into the notebook. Its very inconvenient to have to plug and unplug all of those items.

With this ACD you only have to plug and unplug the notebook's connection to the monitor. The other peripherals can stay permanently plugged into the monitor.

Not only does it allow you to plug peripherals permanently into the monitor, it also allows you to put the notebook farther away from those peripherals because it no longer needs to be in close proximity to them. USB ports on the monitor allow you to move the notebook off the desk entirely, freeing up desk space and reducing clutter even more. This is something I do right now with my current Cinema Display.

Also to those doing the price/feature comparison don't forget that Cinema Displays are simply gorgeous from an industrial engineering standpoint. I use my computer a lot and in fact I look at my monitor longer each day than any other single thing, so it doesn't seem like a few hundred dollars extra is at all out of line if it gives me a work of art to look at, as opposed to the cheap plastic, cluttery buttons, and blinking lights that seem to adorn a lot of the cheaper displays.
  • Reply 163 of 184
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I think this is a pretty cool idea, and the iSight/mic/speakers add to the value of the display, Apple Tax aside...

I can imagine a 24" LED Cinema Display paired with a fully-loaded 15" MacBook Pro, a decent USB2 keyboard/mouse combo, a set of the 5.1 THX speakers by Logitech and one of these little beauties holding the laptop; all making for the beginning of one fine Command Center!

Give me an AppleTV built into a 42" plasma display, a new Mac mini acting as a home server, a 1TB Time Capsule, a sweet little 10" Apple Touch tablet & an iPhone nano; my Command Center will be complete, gear-wise that is...
  • Reply 164 of 184
    Except for the iSight camera and mic, this would be nice hooked up to an AppleTV, especially if that AppleTV were upgraded to 1080p and let me plug in a ATSC USB tuner (or had an ATSC tuner built in).
  • Reply 165 of 184
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lictor

Worthless. Integrated speakers are always bad enough that mono or stereo is not even an issue. Besides, the speakers are probably too close to each other for stereo being anything but a gimmick on the spec sheet.

Nit pick.

Quote:

That's pretty common, no innovation there.

Nit pick.

Quote:

Interesting for 5% of the users. The 95% pay for nothing rather than paying for a better LCD pannel or better ergonomics.

Nit pick.

Quote:

I know some clients that might consider that this just shows that you're wasting their money on fancy show-off stuff rather than on cutting his costs... Having crappy shameful offices has never prevented my companies from winning huge international clients - sadly.

Nit pick.

Quote:

Then, you don't need an IPS pannel. You could have had the same monitor from Apple with exactly the same look and feature but for $500 with a TN pannel. How do you feel paying extras for a feature that you can't use because of the glossy screen.

Nit pick
  • Reply 166 of 184
    Did any of you guys think of, that this display may actually be, exactly what Apple says it is, a display ment for the MacBook's, not a display for the Pro market?

If it were, why wouldn't they mention Mac Pro?

Rumor:

Apple 32” Cinema Pro UHD OLED display

A lot of people were disappointed when Apple introduced their new 24” Cinema Display Tuesday 14/10/08.

But as Apple says, it is made specifically for the new MacBook’s so maybe we haven’t seen it all yet.

These spy photos showed up on the internet today, and could very likely be the new Apple Cinema Pro display.

Rumor is, that it’s a 32” OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display! OLED has far superior picture quality over LCD, but so far there has been problems with the life span, as the blue tends to die out too fast.

Specs should be:

Contrast ratio: 8.000.000 : 1

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 UHD

Display colors: 1 billion

Response time: 0,2 ms

Viewing angle: 180 degree H&V

Brightness: 450 cd/m

So far the largest commercially introduced OLED is the Sony XEL-1, 11” OLED TV, which is setting new standards for stunningly beautiful video reproduction.
  • Reply 167 of 184
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neeper View Post

These spy photos showed up on the internet today, and could very likely be the new Apple Cinema Pro display.

The spy was using a virtual camera presumably.

I don't like the way the base curves up at the edges. The display doesn't look adjustable either and the fins don't look very good. Apple tend to go for thin and they look quite bulky.

If they were OLED, they wouldn't need to be very bulky at all.

Fairly decent mockup regarding lighting but the metallic shader needs more specular and perhaps a bit more noise. You can maybe take an image of one of the metal Macs from Apple's site and take a slice of the enclosure, make it greyscale, repeatable in PS and use it for a texture or very fine bump map.

I do think that the current Cinema Display is meant for the Macbook and MBP. I think it's a pretty stupid idea to do that because of the price though. Perhaps they will just leave the original lineup as it is.
  • Reply 168 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The spy was using a virtual camera presumably.

I don't like the way the base curves up at the edges. The display doesn't look adjustable either and the fins don't look very good. Apple tend to go for thin and they look quite bulky.

If they were OLED, they wouldn't need to be very bulky at all.

Fairly decent mockup regarding lighting but the metallic shader needs more specular and perhaps a bit more noise. You can maybe take an image of one of the metal Macs from Apple's site and take a slice of the enclosure, make it greyscale, repeatable in PS and use it for a texture or very fine bump map.

I do think that the current Cinema Display is meant for the Macbook and MBP. I think it's a pretty stupid idea to do that because of the price though. Perhaps they will just leave the original lineup as it is.

First of all, on the frontpage of apple.com, the link for the new Cinema displays says:

Made precisely for the new MacBooks - and on the on the LED Cinema page it says:

The first display made Made precisely for a MacBook.

Can you explain to me, why you doesn't think this is made precisely for the MacBooks???

I of course have to disagree with you regarding the design... It is not anymore "bulky" than the Mac Pro which it is made for. The thing is, that it's a huge 32" display, the screen is 7 mm thin, and the "box with the finns" is only 7 cm deep. If you were to see this in comparison with the current 30"Cinema display, I don't think you would say that this is more bulky, just more Pro, for Pro users. And it is adjustable! But height adjustable, you cannot tilt it, as it isn't an issue with OLED. The box with the finns, is needed even if it was OLED, as you still need some electronics to run the screen... I think it would be stupid to make it too thin, as it wouldn't match the Mac Pro.

And I have a Mac Pro here at home, the alu looks exactly like these renderings, it's just Apples renderings on their website that has more specular than in real life...
  • Reply 169 of 184

• Reply 170 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    I think it's a really nice design, but I don't think it will be commercially practical just yet because of OLED tech and size. Mabye if B&O made computer monitors or TVs, I think it might be profitable at US$10,000. If we're lucky and manufacturing is getting better yield, maybe $5000.

I don't expect Apple to make anything like that. Apple tends to take a theme and stick with that theme for several years, I expect Apple to make the rest of their monitors look pretty similar to the one they just announced.
  • Reply 171 of 184
    I know it is hopeless to expect a matte version of this monitor, and it being glossy isnt as bad, since it is for a desktop [unacceptable to be so high gloss on a laptop], and one should be able to adjust their surroundings at least a bit. [maybe not at work, but these are for home users anyway]

but

it will be really great if they came with a nicely designed monitor hood, or at least if they sold one as an option.

I have a question though about the speakers...

can you turn them off?

it doesnt seem to have a headphone port...

would putting headphones into the laptop silence the monitor speakers?

[would be nice to have the headphones plugged into the monitor at the desk.]

or do you have to unplug the usb portion of the cable-dongle to turn off the speakers, but then also losing the availability to use the monitors usb plugs?
  • Reply 172 of 184
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I was in an Apple Store yesterday, and I had the opportunity to check out the new LED Cinema Display that was on display.

One of the Apple floor staff approached me, and the conversation went like this:

Salesman: Do you guys need any help?

Me (pointing at the LED Cinema Display): Do you know when these things will be available?

Salesman: They're available right now.

Me: I didn't realise these things were available now?

Salesman: Yeah, we have them in stock.

Salesman: It's gorgeous, isn't it? But you need to buy one of the new laptops to drive it.

Me: Yeah, but I'm still not convinced about the glossy display.

Salesman: They're all going to be like that from now on. Get used to it...

At which point he sauntered off.

I turned to my friend who was stood there open jawed, as surprised as I was at the salesman's curtness.

As it turned out, they didn't have the display in stock at all, and won't have it in stock until some point in November. Which makes me wonder if the salesman knew what he was talking about at all, and whether or not every Cinema Display from now on will indeed be glassy-glossy...
  • Reply 173 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

As it turned out, they didn't have the display in stock at all, and won't have it in stock until some point in November. Which makes me wonder if the salesman knew what he was talking about at all, and whether or not every Cinema Display from now on will indeed be glassy-glossy...

You're much more likely to get an informed answer about Apple from these forums and others like it. Those retail people, while they do work for Apple, are not kept in the [infinite] loop. Too much risk, no benefit.

The only thing I'm surprised about, is that he told you that the 24" ACD was available, but I'm also surprised they had one on display. Apple usually doesn't display items that aren't available.
  • Reply 174 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

...., and whether or not every Cinema Display from now on will indeed be glassy-glossy...

I think the handwritings on the wall here. The future of Apple displays is indeed likely to be glassy-glossy. Not that I agree with this but when they remove the option from the MBP and relaese a new ACD that is glassy-glossy,...well you might want to buy some nice sunglasses.

I don't know why they don't offer it as a BTO option and charge extra. There are users who would gladly do so.
  • Reply 175 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're much more likely to get an informed answer about Apple from these forums and others like it. Those retail people, while they do work for Apple, are not kept in the [infinite] loop. Too much risk, no benefit.

The only thing I'm surprised about, is that he told you that the 24" ACD was available, but I'm also surprised they had one on display. Apple usually doesn't display items that aren't available.

Forget salespeople. You've got to know what you want BEFORE you go or they'll sell you anything.

The Fifth Avenue Apple Store had one of the new 24 inchers on display on Saturday (Oct 18). The store was JAMMED. I'd never seen it like that. I usually avoid it.
  • Reply 176 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

...well you might want to buy some nice sunglasses.

I'm going to black out the windows, install dimmer switches, paint the ceiling black, carpet the walls and slip into this convenient little outfit:

Sweet.
  • Reply 177 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I'm going to black out the windows, install dimmer switches, paint the ceiling black, carpet the walls and slip into this convenient little outfit:

Sweet.

That'll work.
  • Reply 178 of 184
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neeper View Post

Did any of you guys think of, that this display may actually be, exactly what Apple says it is, a display ment for the MacBook's, not a display for the Pro market?

If it were, why wouldn't they mention Mac Pro?

Because you can't connect it to a Mac Pro or iMac or Mac Mini until all are revised to include a Mini Display port.

Quote:

Are you sure he was actually an Apple store employee, and not just some lonely Mac user?
  • Reply 179 of 184
    Quote:

I turned to my friend who was stood there open jawed, as surprised as I was at the salesman's curtness.

I would be upset with this comment too. It's very insensitive. He was probably a younger dude as the next generation has yet to really learn about the "Customer is always right" thing. However.. He is right in that they will all be like this and not just from Apple. LED displays will be released in glossy models only. Those people who are hold out from apple won't be able to get what they want anywhere. To be honest though.. glossy screens have better color and sharpness than matte screens which actually diffuse the light.
  • Reply 180 of 184
    I'm wondering if it's worth grabbing a matte 17" MBP and matching 30" Cinema HD Display whilst they're still around...

...if Apple continue down this path there probably won't be anything for me in their product line-up come 6 months.