Apple unveils 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 141 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not only does it only work with the new laptops (for now) but it has built-in iSight and speakers WHICH THE FUCKING LAPTOPS ALREADY HAVE. Apple has lost grasp on reality. Such waste, such overloading to artificially prop up the price.

Everyone should boycott this product. Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.

Apple said they're switching ALL machines to DisplayPort. So wait a bit.

Also, I can imagine having a built in iSight camera and microphone will be very handy when the Mac Pros move to the DisplayPort tech. The current Cinemas require a third-party video chat solution if you're running a Mac Pro.
  • Reply 142 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The Truth About DisplayPort vs. HDMI

HDMI has rules for how to implement and use the technology. Business and enterprise customers may not want to implement all of the consumer electronics features that are required in HDMI products.

Very interesting, though I don't know about this part, I am pretty sure this is not true with respect to having to implement CEC. The CEC portion of the standard is ignored for the most part. I don't think it is required in order to make a compliant HDMI display.
  • Reply 143 of 184
    Despite kim kap's rantings, this is a good option for someone like myself who is strongly considering going with a notebook only. When I'm not out and about, I do like having a larger screen available, such as when I'm gaming or working on a project. I also like the ability to sit on the couch and take it with me.

A product like this allows you to leverage your laptop with a desktop experience when you wish to have it. Just plug it in when you are at home/in office. Leverage is a powerful force.

Jobs did say they are going to be using the Display Port on all products, so I dunno what kim kap is up in arms about. Don't get the 24 inch display if it doesn't meet your needs. According to him/her, no one uses an external display with their lappy anyway, so having the product out there isn't hurting anyone.

@TenoBell, thanks for the pictures.
  • Reply 144 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boondox View Post

Despite kim kap's rantings, this is a good option for someone like myself who is strongly considering going with a notebook only. When I'm not out and about, I do like having a larger screen available, such as when I'm gaming or working on a project. I also like the ability to sit on the couch and take it with me.

A product like this allows you to leverage your laptop with a desktop experience when you wish to have it. Just plug it in when you are at home/in office. Leverage is a powerful force.

For notebook users, I don't think having a second display at your primary desk is such a rarity. As you say, you keep the portability without sacrificing the screen real estate where you might use it most, and disconnecting that is just three little connectors awy, you don't even have to recoil up the power adapter brick, that stayed in your tote bag.

Not everybody does it this way, but I think it's enough to merit a product like this LED Cinema Display. Obviously, something like the camera, speakers and mic aren't as useful to this kind of person, but they do have the mini and Mac Pro buyers to consider too.

It's too bad the monitor isn't backward compatible to DVI, I might have considered it for my 1 year old MBP.
  • Reply 145 of 184
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

@TenoBell, thanks for the pictures.

I agree I think this product would work well for a lot of people. The ability to plug keyboard/mouse, printer, external HDD into the monitor. The freedom to plug and unplug your laptop. You have the best of both.
  • Reply 146 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not only does it only work with the new laptops (for now) but it has built-in iSight and speakers WHICH THE FUCKING LAPTOPS ALREADY HAVE. Apple has lost grasp on reality. Such waste, such overloading to artificially prop up the price.

Everyone should boycott this product. Why pay for a second iSight and a second set of speakers? Only people with money to throw will buy this product. With the world going into recession, people would be mad to buy such a product.

Hey there, mister. Perhaps a gentle question or opinion without screaming obscenities. Every single day, I work at a standing desk with a 24" Cinema Display driven by my Macbook Pro that sits - closed - on a shelf below. I have access to the speakers and camera when I'm on the move, or at home, but during my workday, I don't.

So, I've been complaining with the same level of energy as you are now, about the fact that my $800 Cinema Display DIDN't Include a camera and speakers.

Apple gets my work environment. Maybe screaming obscenities isn't really helping your case.
  • Reply 147 of 184
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzyalex View Post

ha-ha, 24'' S-IPS LED monitor, even glossy, would be a great choice for 900 USD

BUT - from Apple site -

24-inch (viewable) LED-backlit thin film transistor (TFT) active-matrix liquid crystal display

TFT LED is much better by color space than simple TFT display, yet, I expect, previous S-IPC Cinema give better color accuracy anyway

It looks like Apple has made a sharp turn to Consumers. Right now I use Ilyama 22'' TFT monitor (good quality for its money) and will upgrade to 23/24 NEC S-IPS most likely. New Cinema is totally out of choice.

Just because the Apple Site says TFT doesn't mean it's not a IPS...actually IPS is one of many types of TFT-based technologies...a lot of monitor companies wont say what type of TFT, just that they are using TFT....

And the original ACDs did use IPS. So why wouldn't the new LED CD?

It's still to rich for my blood for now, that's why I am looking at the 24" Dell.
  • Reply 148 of 184
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    deleted
  • Reply 149 of 184
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

How come nobody's even curious about the 30" ACD? What's happening with that one is what I want to know.

I expect a 30" ACD no later than MWSF.
  • Reply 150 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I expect a 30" ACD no later than MWSF.

I have no idea about the difficulties of this type of technology, or if these new displays are better than the previous ones, but since these are not shipping until an unspecified date in November (note: we still don't have the iPhone notifcation service that was promised for September), I think that the most logical bet is that the new 30"-32" BL-LED ACDs won't be announced until MWSF, and possibly not ship right away, either.

I'd love to read in-depth info on these displays and if the 30" BL-LED ACDs are even feasible within the next 6 months, ± a couple months. Will this be released alongside a Nehelam Mac Pro, and completely revamped and 'greener' Mac Mini, and an AppleTV using NVIDIA to push 1080p, even though iTS doesn't support it?

PS: How are people feeling about the glass display that clearly acts as a mirror when off. Is it true that the increased brightness will remove any potential glare, thus making this a viable machine for photo/video professionals?
  • Reply 151 of 184
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

You do realize this is possible now without the new Apple display? For half as much.

It makes some sense if you have a MB because with just 2 usb ports on the MB, getting 3 more with the monitor will be handy.

But honestly, if you need a 24" monitor for your laptop this new ACD is expensive with additional features that are arguably of limited usefulness. That's what KKS is saying and I think he's right.
  • Reply 152 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You do realize this is possible now without the new Apple display? For half as much.

In some ways, not quite that bad, others, it's worse. A display with a similar quality matrix is more like 2/3rds Apple's price. Just any old 24" monitor with a TN panel can supposedly be bought for just above 1/3rd the price.

Quote:

It makes some sense if you have a MB because with just 2 usb ports on the MB, getting 3 more with the monitor will be handy.

A lot of monitors have built-in hubs.

Quote:

But honestly, if you need a 24" monitor for your laptop this new ACD is expensive with additional features that are arguably of limited usefulness. That's what KKS is saying and I think he's right.

These complaints about the price of Apple's monitors aren't new. Before, I do recall complaints that a Firewire hub is of limited usefulness, now it's a camera and speakers. I do think that Magsafe line is a nifty add-on though it's cheaper to buy someone else's monitor and buy a separate power adapter for use at the desk.
  • Reply 153 of 184
    Quote:

What would make you think that I do not realize that it's possible?

What I was talking about was KKS is insisting that there's no point for a monitor like this, and I was pointing out that there is, even if KKS doesn't want to avail himself of it.

Limited usefulness is a matter of opinion.

If Apple doesn't compete solely upon price in it's computers, what what lead you to assume that it would in its displays? You can get a cheaper monitor elsewhere the same way you can get a cheaper laptop elsewhere. Cheaper upfront cost isn't what the company does. This is an integrated solution that appeals to some people, just not yourself. For you, you can buy a different display if this particular one isn't of interest to you.
  • Reply 154 of 184
    Quote:

The 3 USB ports, isight, and speakers essentially allow you to use your notebook as a desktop.

Can you provide a link to these other 24" LED monitor that are cheaper, with webcams, speakers, and allow the plugging of desktop peripherals. While easily and conveniently plug/unplug your notebook?
  • Reply 155 of 184
    Quote:

Can you provide a link to these other 24" LED monitor that are cheaper...

...and that is LED backlit.
  • Reply 156 of 184
    Quote:

The 3 USB ports, isight, and speakers essentially allow you to use your notebook as a desktop.

Can you provide a link to these other 24" LED monitor that are cheaper, with webcams, speakers, and allow the plugging of desktop peripherals. While easily and conveniently plug/unplug your notebook?

If you laptop has adequate USB and FW ports then you don't need them included on the monitor.

The integrated webcam is arguably a useful feature, but then again there is one in the MB so if you need to use it you can lift the lid and use the one in the MB.

The LED-BL is nice. But the monitor is still $900. We'll see how many pull the trigger when there are nice 24" monitors for half the price.
  • Reply 157 of 184
    Quote:

What would make you think that I do not realize that it's possible?

The following quote:

Originally Posted by Boondox

It wasn't obvious to me that you realized that was possible now with any VGA monitor and an adaptor.

Many users do this now without the new ACD. They already are aware of this 'leverage'.

And in your opinion what do these new monitors do that current monitors don't? Why should I lay $900 down for one?
  • Reply 158 of 184
    Quote:

If you laptop has adequate USB and FW ports then you don't need them included on the monitor.

This would force you to plug the monitor, power, keyboard/mouse, printer, external HDD into the notebook. Its very inconvenient to have to plug and unplug all of those items.

With this ACD you only have to plug and unplug the notebook's connection to the monitor. The other peripherals can stay permanently plugged into the monitor.

Quote:

The integrated webcam is arguably a useful feature, but then again there is one in the MB so if you need to use it you can lift the lid and use the one in the MB.

With a 24" 1920x1200 monitor their is no need to keep the lid open.

Quote:

The LED-BL is nice. But the monitor is still $900. We'll see how many pull the trigger when there are nice 24" monitors for half the price.

Its arguable to debate the number of people who want to plug a notebook into a bigger monitor. I can see this option working well for a lot of people. If people fully understood this as a viable option and its advantages. You get the benefit of notebook portability and a desktop environment without having to buy both.

$900 is a lot cheaper than a full desktop Mac.
  • Reply 159 of 184
    edit: pipped by TenoBell.

PS: I expect to see a new Mac Mini or Mac Mini-like device at MWSF, that will also use the MagSafe connector so it can attached to these new ACDs with this simple, clean cabling in mind.
  • Reply 160 of 184
    Quote:

The following quote:

Originally Posted by Boondox

It wasn't obvious to me that you realized that was possible now with any VGA monitor and an adaptor.

Many users do this now without the new ACD. They already are aware of this 'leverage'.

And in your opinion what do these new monitors do that current monitors don't? Why should I lay $900 down for one?

Explain it to the one who is hysterically ranting that hardly anyone uses a laptop with a separate monitor. Clearly that isn't me. I don't see where I said that this leverage is a newly discovered use for a monitor now that Apple has introduces a Cinema Display primarily geared to laptops.

I'm not justifying your purchase of the product, all I was defending was the products existence and that some people, including myself might look into purchasing one.

From the looks of things, if you are in the market for a Display of that size that gives you that integration and clean asthetic. If you want something of this size for lowest cost, you'll pick something else. It's relatively simple and entirely rational.

The picture TenoBell posted that shows the laptop connected to this ACD highly appeals to me, along with the note that someone posted that says this allows you to use your laptop as a desktop. If you start off with the assumption that I'm not an idiot, then of course I know this is possible with displays from other companies as well. However, the way this all fits together appeals to me personally and I'd consider the product. That's all I'm advocating here, consideration.