New Apple ads savage Microsoft's $300m Windows campaign

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I think these are two of the funniest ads in the series so far. But "Mac" should have also said something about "Mojave" in the second ad. After all, does anyone really believe that Microsoft slapping a fake name on Vista really fooled those people in that earlier ad?
  • Reply 22 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think this is only the 2nd Get A Mac ad that actually mentions that mentions 'Windows" by name, which I think Apple has been very careful to refer to anything not a Mac as being generic. Those two ads are "V Word" and "Touché". They've mentioned 'Vista' in a few ads, but not as Windows Vista.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I think these are two of the funniest ads in the series so far. But "Mac" should have also said something about "Mojave" in the second ad. After all, does anyone really believe that Microsoft slapping a fake name on Vista really fooled those people in that earlier ad?

I don't think Mojave is well known enough by name.
  • Reply 23 of 113
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    I find the original Microsoft ads kind of funny and real paranoia. Microsoft has such a large market share that Apple is still very small. Yet they are so worried about dropping below 90% that the are reduced to negative ads.
  • Reply 24 of 113
    I laughed out loud at Bean Counter... but it is unfortunately true that MS has apparently focussed on change the topic more than patching products.

As the market shifts to NetBooks... they release an OS that can't run on them.

They panic and extend, and extend again the life of XP all while point forward and saying (in the grand old MS Tradition) --- a new versions soon. Yeah, that's it, Windows 7, Real Soon Now!
  • Reply 25 of 113
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

savage |ˈsavij|

adjective

(of an animal or force of nature) fierce, violent, and uncontrolled : tales of a savage beast | a week of savage storms....

These ads are everything but savage, since when AppleInsider became Microsoft protector?...

I think they meant "savage" in the sense of a transitive verb (subject to a vicious verbal attack).
  • Reply 26 of 113
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

I think these are two of the funniest ads in the series so far.

I love the "V" - one. Of course this is childish but Apple is doing the right thing by riding the wave (they created in part). Doing nothing would be foolish. I love the way the V ad pokes fun at the childishness of it. At the end we are literally watching two kids bickering about a word. The way Mac ges the word Vista in there is hilarious.
  • Reply 27 of 113
    aakaaaka Posts: 17member
    OK like it or not - this is funny. I love it. I mean even Bill Gates has got to be laughing. OK maybe not.

I think Microsoft invited these days and did it to themselves. Their ad campaign was lame, stupid and meaningless. And please can they keep Bill in a closet or something.

No one should see these ads after eating a heavy meal.
  • Reply 28 of 113
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

They really could put a serious dent in Apple's sales by stopping developing Office for the Mac..

Office, what's that?
  • Reply 29 of 113
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Just to point out that Microsoft was one of the first to publish software for Macs and they still do it with an entire division (Mac BU)

Even if that happen... who cares?

iWork/OppenOffice ring any bell?

Riiiight.

Keeping thinking that those are reasonable substitutes for most people.
  • Reply 30 of 113
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

No one knows what Mojave is outside of 1% of nerds on the internet.
  • Reply 31 of 113
    how long until microsoft starts robocalling pc users saying "bill ayers and rev. wright use a mac. if you switch to mac, you're a terrorist" ...
  • Reply 32 of 113
    Imagine I installed a children game on my vista laptop and it can't play, prompting the missing msvcr80.dll error. What's that?

After many days of googling, I finally found the solution: To uninstall Office 2007.

So I am left with two choices: The game or Office 2007.

MS deserve all these S**T!
  • Reply 33 of 113
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    The obvious test for effective advertising is whether a correlation can be measured with increased sales. And that's all that matters. I don't know about the rest of the world but can offer a sample size of two. We switched my wife to an iMac last month, and my new unibody MacBook w/320MB HD flew in from Shanghai over the weekend and landed this a.m. The Mac ads made a significant dent in my thinking, while I look at all those "I'm a PC" folks and ask - "But WHY are you a PC?!"
  • Reply 34 of 113
    Great. They can use old "Nick Burns, Your Company's Computer Guy" skits for training films.

My God, what fresh hell they must face every day. To stand around a retail store and tackle the average Windows user's new problem with a mishmash of hardware. Don't forget your bandelero of rescue floppies...
  • Reply 35 of 113
    ... so I'm still waiting for the one where PC comes running in stage left out of breath fresh from his "I'm a PC" ad... And do we have a count of hate mail for poor [email protected]? Please tell me that guy's getting 1 year vesting MS stock for being the whipping boy...
  • Reply 36 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

II think that as Apple gets bigger, it should be careful not to piss Ballmer off too much. They really could put a serious dent in Apple's sales by stopping developing Office for the Mac.

one word: NeoOffice
  • Reply 37 of 113
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

savage |ˈsavij|

adjective

(of an animal or force of nature) fierce, violent, and uncontrolled : tales of a savage beast | a week of savage storms.

? cruel and vicious; aggressively hostile : they launched a savage attack on the budget.

? (chiefly in historical or literary contexts) primitive; uncivilized.

? (of a place) wild-looking and inhospitable; uncultivated.

? (of something bad or negative) very great; severe : this would deal a savage blow to the government's fight.

cli·che \\klē-ˈshā, ˈklē-ˌ, kli-ˈ\\

noun

1: a trite phrase or expression ; also : the idea expressed by it

2: a hackneyed theme, characterization, or situation

3: something (as a menu item) that has become overly familiar or commonplace
  • Reply 38 of 113
    Absolutely hilarious ads. Hits 'em right where it counts too.
  • Reply 39 of 113
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Mafia$oft's new slogan, "Life Without Walls" makes no sense. If there are no walls, you don't need windows. Actually, windows aren't even possible.

• Reply 40 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Mafia$oft's new slogan, "Life Without Walls" makes no sense. If there are no walls, you don't need windows. Actually, windows aren't even possible.

It's pretty obvious that Monoposoft is running scared, event though they still have more than the lion's share of the OS market. The problem is they are only reacting, not acting. They're failing to take the initiative in the fight. Even the "Mojave" thing is reactionary and defensive. They're acting like the loser, and it shows.

And Monkey Boy isn't helping their cause any... does anyone outside of Monoposoft apologists like John Dvorak and Rob Enderle really believe the FUD that Monkey Boy is spewing? I doubt even Joe Computer Novice buys into that kind of BS.

Monoposoft did invite this... and I'm glad to see Apple respond to it.