New Apple ads savage Microsoft's $300m Windows campaign

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Since when has Leopard launch been deemed 'disastrous'? I certainly didn't remember that one.

Well of course you don't ... that's kind of my point. There's plenty of evidence out there that shows the original Leopard release was one of the buggiest they've done so far.

But on the other side of the fence, any operating system that deleted a file before making sure that it had arrived at the other end of the network, would be called a disaster. This is the advantage that the Windows users have. Rather than making excuses for the vendors, they'll nail them to the wall until the problem gets fixed. It's no accident that Apple was the last vendor to do something about the NVIDIA problem; everyone else had it sorted months ago.
  • Reply 62 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yet again. Fine for a replacement for Word and Powerpoint but can not replace Publisher or even more so Excel.

There is nothing available that can replace Excel for power users.

Excel is good for bookkeeping, and nothing more. It was designed specifically for that. I long ago outgrew what Excel can do. Let me count the ways if fails;

1) Graphs and charts. I always chuckle when I see a new faculty candidate give a talk in my department at my university when the graphs they use were clearly slapped together in Excel. They look amateurish at best.

2) Statistics. I've never seen Excel produce a proper hypothesis probability test output. I've compared what Excel produces to SPSS on the exact same data sets, and Excel is so far off, it's not even comical. It's sad. And to think that cubicle drones are using this to make comparisons, marketing decisions, and so on? No wonder corporate America is in such a downslide.

3) Programability. VBA/VB script and all it's various incarnations are a joke. Trying to learn how to use the stuff is a nightmare. I bought half a dozen books, took classes in VB Script and still couldn't produce a decent data analysis workflow that genuinely worked in several weeks worth of work. On the other hand, in MATLAB I was able to do it, automating nearly everything, in a matter of days.

Defend Excel all you want. You want to talk power-use? For true "power-use", and by that I mean analyzing the larger statistical patterns in 50,000 neural spikes from dozens of electrode recordings, or doing a fourier analysis on the composition of the spatial frequency components of a complex visual wave form, etc., Excel falls flat on its ass. It's a book keeping tool and nothing more, and useless for anything else. MATLAB, Maple, and Mathematica all blow it so far out of the water there's not even an oily slick left on the water. Excel is a joke, propped up by the entrenched use of it in the corporate world because Monoposoft was illegally forcing it down the throats of the companies that still use it. MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, SPSS, and SAS can all easily do what Excel does, and more, and do it easier and faster. You think Excel is irreplaceable? You have a lot to learn about mathematical computing.
  • Reply 63 of 113
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Negative campaigning is tiresome - in the political and corporate worlds.
  • Reply 64 of 113
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Yet again. Fine for a replacement for Word and Powerpoint but can not replace Publisher or even more so Excel.

What has Publisher got to do with it?

It is not available for the Mac anyway!
  • Reply 65 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

What you call disastrous? Lets see

.A operative system that outsold any other ever launched by Apple (maybe u dislike the new look or user interface and functionality)

And in terms of installed base, has already been overtaken several times over by Vista, an operating system that most people here would regard as a much bigger disaster. So what point are you trying to make? Or are you telling me that sales prove the OS was perfect when released?

To be honest common sense should tell folk that Apple will outsell every other launch before it, because there are alot more Apple users than any launch before it. Vista is selling at a much faster rate than XP for the same reason (and I suspect that Microsoft is shifting an awful lot of licenses to Mac users)

Quote:

.Disastrous iPhone software? I really had no problems yet with it personally , they eventually fixed most of the quirks. Some Nokia, Motorockola, and other phones will never have software update or a real OS inside.

Crashing software, phone locking up Poor reception are big problems in my book. A phone that doesn't ... phone. Genius.

I do like the way you use the qualifier 'some' when talking about phones that don't have a real, updateable OS. I suspect that you are fully aware that Symbian is an OS and is updateable and you can write third party apps for it, but to say so would be sacrilege. I won't insult your intelligence by pointing you to the Nokia update site.

Quote:

.Mobil Me, Jobs itself admited it was a mistake to run both product introductions on at the same time, since apple really got a hit with both products and no one lost data I am more than cool with those extra 3 months they gave me.

Jobs admitting it does not make it a disaster when it was launched. The fact that there are free services out there that have more users and worked right out of the gate, made it all the more annoying.

And there's not really much to dislike about the new interface; it's pretty much the same as the old one which has always been fine with me. The new functionality I don't really use much, but it doesn't get in my way, so again, no big deal.
  • Reply 66 of 113
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

It's no accident that Apple was the last vendor to do something about the NVIDIA problem; everyone else had it sorted months ago.

No, it wasn't an accident. It was NVIDIA lying to Apple about it. They lied to everyone. That ain't an accident, and Apple wouldn't have even known unless they launched an investigation into it. Thats not Apple's responsibility.

Do the research into what actually happened before making such stupid comments.
  • Reply 67 of 113
    Quote:

I take your point with Excel, but you can't find something better than Publisher for the Mac?
  • Reply 68 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

No, it wasn't an accident. It was NVIDIA lying to Apple about it. They lied to everyone. That ain't an accident, and Apple wouldn't have even known unless they launched an investigation into it. Thats not Apple's responsibility.

Do the research into what actually happened before making such stupid comments.

Every other vendor did something to fix the problem months ago, regardless of whether or not NVIDIA 'lied' about it. So did NVIDIA just lie to Apple? Having customers who don't roll over and take it, means that you have to put them first.

Now let's see, who says NVIDIA lied to them ... oh, yes ... Apple did.

Reminds me of when Apple shipped those iPods with viruses on them, and tried to make it look like a Windows problem.

Keep watching those Apple ads ... you're just the Mac user they're looking for ...
  • Reply 69 of 113
    Quote:

Now let's see, who says NVIDIA lied to them ... oh, yes ... Apple did.

No... Apple did not claim that NVIDIA lied to them, where did you get that from?

Quote:

Reminds me of when Apple shipped those iPods with viruses on them, and tried to make it look like a Windows problem.

Now let's see, who says Apple tried to make it look like a Windows problem ... oh, yes ... some boneheads did.
  • Reply 70 of 113
    The Mac ads are of course, marketing genius at work, but they reduce a great company to the school-boy level of

Oh Yeah? (Microsoft or Apple, pick one)

Yeah! (the other company, pick one)

Oh Yeah?

Yeah!

etc.

or equally, Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, NYAH, NYAH! (Microsoft or Apple, pick one)

Enough! Apple should use its advertising muscle to give a more positive message, be more gracious and soften the blow towards the vanquished, but not yet fallen Microsoft; it really is only a matter of time -- with its three-fold greater than the industry growth curve -- before Microsoft will shrink to 80% market share--probably 2010/2011; once that occurs, the momentum towards enterprise adoption is likely to enter a log phase; it is well known that IT departments have far less work with Apple than with Windows. Companies will starting looking at their IT departments as areas to reduce staff--incompatibility and regular crashing on Windows-based systems provide job security to those who run them--it's a dirty little secret shared behind closed doors by IT staff--the propeller-heads are probably terrified of that transition. once major corporations realise that homogeneous Apple-based networks are cheaper to operate, Apple will have trouble keeping up with the demand for boxes; 2.8 million units per quarter?

Big deal!

Try 10 or 20 million per quarter
  • Reply 71 of 113
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,620member
    I always though the "V-word" was viruses, which Windows has plenty of.

Please realize that Microsoft is not "hurting". They have never lost money. Microsoft isn't even doing close to poorly. Vista is being criticized, but that doesn't stop it from being on millions of new PCs. Sure, there are people sticking with Vista, but that won't last forever.

OSX is continuing to do well and so are Macs. This kind of slow and steady progress is very important to Apple. And Apple's ads are funny while M$'s are lame.
  • Reply 72 of 113
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Well of course you don't ... that's kind of my point. There's plenty of evidence out there that shows the original Leopard release was one of the buggiest they've done so far.

Then you weren't around for OSX 10.0 Cheetah. Heck 10.4 had some growing pains.

But hey, if you're want to call it a disaster, go for it. It's only the most widely deployed and most successful desktop unix...ever.

10.5 is kinda like Panther in my mind with Snow Leopard going to be like Tiger. Panther was sometimes quirky. Tiger was fairly stable. Desktop operating systems always are buggy because they are large, complex and get updated too often.

Heck, even embedded operating systems are buggy.
  • Reply 73 of 113
    I've heard Microsoft is getting an ad ready that says Willie Horton uses a Mac!
  • Reply 74 of 113
    First let me say.... Screw u to any of the "Politically Correct" comments in here. It's that kind of mindset that will get us all KILLED. Grow some nads and realize that some things need to be said no matter how unpleasant you think they are. This goes for politics and computers.

Here's one that should get some blood boiling. OBama is a racist that is "Nice" to people who are terrorists and criminals. IE.... Rev Wright, Bill Airs and ACORN.

Second let me say. Kick ASS Apple.... I've seen 2 of the ads so far.... and they are a freakin Riot!!!!

They're saying what we all know and what needs to be said. It's part of the reason why Apple is so much better than Windows... XP and Vista.... Something all we Apple owners/users already know. But some PC users just don't understand this... so it needs to be said just like they're saying it. Cudos for Apple's advertising and marketing people!

I think it's great that they are calling MS what they are. A company that beta tests all their products on their customers... instead of a group of programmers.

Z

Being Politically Correct just shows a total lack of internal strength, MORAL fortitude and good judgement.
  • Reply 75 of 113
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Apparently you haven't used the new Open Office (Version 3), which is a complete (and FREE) replacement for M$ Office. Much more compatible than iWork 2008-which I also happen to like.

Used it. Installed it on about a half dozen of my clients' computers already. NOT a replacement for MS Office. It has nothing to do with the quality of the product, but everything to do with perception. There is a large chunk of buyers who will never enter an Apple store if they know they can't get Word and Excel.
  • Reply 76 of 113
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    The latest ads are obviously a response to MS's latest ads. I think they do a good job of poking fun at MS. Ballmer must be fuming. I have to believe Apple's ad agency slapped those two ads together for far less $$$ than MS spent on the Mojave, Bill & Jerry, and I'm a PC campaigns. And they effectively counter MS's effort IMHO. As direct response ads, they won't be around very long - and they don't need to be.

I do have a problem with he latest direction of Apple's advertising, though. Apple used to have "Think Different" and was all about doing great things - easily. iLife was/is a big part of that strategy - create videos, DVDs, web pages, manage photos, record music, etc. DO stuff. Now the emphasis is "we don't suck like Windows". It seems Apple has gone from being (and trying to be) the machine of choice of the goth-kid with a struggling band making artsy movies in her basement to the machine your mom uses to send pictures of the kids to grandma.

Now, I'm sure the market of moms wanting to send pictures is much larger than the struggling artist market. And it makes financial sense for Apple to target them, but it seems the creative core has been side-lined. (See removal of FW from new MacBooks - yes, I went there!)

- Jasen.
  • Reply 77 of 113
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

They're saying what we all know and what needs to be said. It's part of the reason why Apple is so much better than Windows... XP and Vista.... Something all we Apple owners/users already know. But some PC users just don't understand this... so it needs to be said just like they're saying it. Cudos for Apple's advertising and marketing people!

Don't you think that the adverts perpetuate the myth that Apple users are a bunch of floppy-haired, vitriolic, smug wankers? Some of us fall into that category but not everyone.
  • Reply 78 of 113
    I wonder how much Apple is spending of their Ads?
  • Reply 79 of 113
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:

You are clearly not a heavy Excel or Publisher user. ... Pages is okay for light Publishing work but not in the same league as MS Publisher.

You're joking, right?
    Just because Publisher hijacked part of PageMaker multipage document-handling interface doesn't make it a quality DTP package. I bought Windows-based shareware aps for under $20 over 10 years ago that seriously kick Publisher's butt.

Publisher is Powerpoint redeveloped for hard-copy printout use for folks who don't know how to set up PPT files for paper sizes, but does no better when it comes to output... in fact, most effects like shadows are horrific, and how it handles color is the worst of any program I've ever used -- Word is so much better I can't help but wonder to what market they even target Publisher, especially since it used to only come with Office.

Most quality printers won't even accept files with work done in it. I haven't tried to do DTP in Pages (even though I own it) simply because I also have access to Quark, InDesign (and if I drag out my old QuickSilver G4, PageMaker 6.5). But I was forced at one job to attempt work in Publisher and got so fed up I bought a MBP and used my own computer and apps to create real work.
  • Reply 80 of 113
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Don't you think that the adverts perpetuate the myth that Apple users are a bunch of floppy-haired, vitriolic, smug wankers? Some of us fall into that category but not everyone.

Lots of overweight, couch-potato office dweebs would love their friends and co-workers to perceive them as floppy-haired, vitriolic, smug wankers, as long as it meant they were fashionable.

Never underestimate how much a market will shell out in an attempt to gain the aura of hip. Men who need a minivan to haul their kids and stuff on paved streets will pay thousands more for an off-road capable SUV becasue it makes them feel more manly. Women will stuff their feet into the ergonomic nightmares that pass as fashion footwear (and of late, squeeze plus-sized torsos into Spandex tops and low-cut jeans) in order that their peers see them as youthful and trendy.

And who among us hasn't laughed at the balding middle-ager, decked out in gold chains and half-unbuttoned logo shirt, out cruising alone in his Corvette, trying his best to appear wealthy and desirable to the young lovelies?

The message is simply "You, too, can be hip."