New Apple ads savage Microsoft's $300m Windows campaign

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 113
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    AAPL and MSFT are behaving like candidates for elective office from two different

    parties. They spend more time attacking their opponents than promoting their

    own ideas (products). I'm getting tired of it in both arenas.



    So long as it is in good humor but Microsoft makes it worse by taking offense at the ads. If Microsoft would laugh at themselves once in awhile and turnaround and make their own good humored ads it would be all good. Instead their ads come off as someone who is on the defense.



    There are plenty of good things to say about Vista. XP was a good product and Vista builds on that. You're just several times more likely to have to deal with malware and viruses. If you can deal with the malware and viruses then you have a large choice of software and products to choose from. I couldn't deal with the malware and viruses.
  • Reply 42 of 113
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Absolutely hilarious ads. Hits 'em right where it counts too.



    Well kind of...



    Clever and funny as usual. Especially "V word". However for the first time since the campaign began these two gave me an uneasy feeling.



    The Get a Mac ads have been extraordinarily successful in highlighting the benefits of Apple and Macs to many disaffected and disappointed PC users. They have focused on some of the Mac's best features and put a spotlight on the problems of owning a PC.



    These two ads just take a shot at Microsoft's marketing efforts. As easy and as funny as that can be I don't think that the average potential switcher gives a dam about that stuff. It just smells a bit 'tech industry insider" to me.



    Microsoft has already stopped talking about Vista. One day soon it's going to be hard for Apple to keep that particular conversation going. They also can't rely on Microsoft having another Vistaesque PR nightmare.



    My prediction, for what it's worth, around the time of Snow Leopard either Get-a-Mac will change direction or there will be a brand new campaign.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,088member
    Juvenile it may be but there is a lot of truth to it. $300 million is an incredible amount of money to invest on what is basically a non-tangible product. This is a desperate attempt to save what is essentially a Ford-Edsel. Very sad.



    I don't have any sympathy for M$. I believe they deserve everything that is coming to them. After all the years and prior releases of the Windows family, they knowingly put out there a hugely flawed product. They should have known better. They had five years to build on top of Windows XP and the result was complete garbage. What were they thinking?



    They were mocked by everyone for taking forever to develop something. Instead of focusing their efforts and coming out with something that would have had the masses asking for forgiveness, they come out with complete garbage and just instill in everyone that M$ truly has lost their way.



    Apple is a small player compared to Microsoft yet look at the innovation and creativity they have that keeps Apple on top and has Microsoft doing what they can to imitate them and throw money at the problem.
  • Reply 44 of 113
    Fortunately for me, I got off the nipple and bought iWork and have learned to use it with barely a learning curve. I can only hope Microsoft stops making software for the Mac so that everyone else can get off the nipple as well.





    I can only hope that every facility that Microsoft owns burns down in the middle of the night and that some how there insurance was in a gap between policies.
  • Reply 45 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Absolutely hilarious ads. Hits 'em right where it counts too.



    I have never really understood it because Apple and Microsoft really do not compete directly.



    1. Microsoft primary objective is to sell software. Most will say Apples primary objective is to sell hardware.



    2. Apple is in the smartphone arena, Microsoft is not.



    3. Microsoft is in the gaming console arena, Apple is not.



    4. Apple creates a DVR type product. Microsoft does not.



    5. iPod and Zune, okay that is about the only thing. Which isnt all that major. Which Apple dominates so why waste the money.



    6. Any software Microsoft does create they dominate the market, OS and Office suites a good example. Doesn't matter who is better they are both dominated by MS. Yet again why waste money where you dominate.



    I seriously doubt these ads do anything except waste money that can be better spent creating new products.



    They are ads that appeal to the base, which both companies have already.
  • Reply 46 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrooster View Post


    Fortunately for me, I got off the nipple and bought iWork and have learned to use it with barely a learning curve. I can only hope Microsoft stops making software for the Mac so that everyone else can get off the nipple as well.





    I can only hope that every facility that Microsoft owns burns down in the middle of the night and that some how there insurance was in a gap between policies.





    You are clearly not a heavy Excel or Publisher user. Anyone can duplicate Word or Powerpoint and iWork does a good job at both but nothing can duplicate or compete with Excel and Numbers doesn't even come close. Pages is okay for light Publishing work but not in the same league as MS Publisher.
  • Reply 47 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bowser View Post


    It's pretty obvious that Monoposoft is running scared, event though they still have more than the lion's share of the OS market. The problem is they are only reacting, not acting. They're failing to take the initiative in the fight. Even the "Mojave" thing is reactionary and defensive. They're acting like the loser, and it shows.



    And Monkey Boy isn't helping their cause any... does anyone outside of Monoposoft apologists like John Dvorak and Rob Enderle really believe the FUD that Monkey Boy is spewing? I doubt even Joe Computer Novice buys into that kind of BS.



    Monoposoft did invite this... and I'm glad to see Apple respond to it.



    Yes clearly a company with over 90% of the market on both the OS side and the Office suite side is running scared.



    I guess those ads so work for some by putting them in a delusional state. I always love the "running scared" comment. Where are they running too?
  • Reply 48 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digiology View Post


    This is all a little immature isn't it? I mean they're massive corporations!



    So when did "corporation" become a 4 letter word?
  • Reply 49 of 113
    [QUOTE]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post


    Just to point out that Microsoft was one of the first to publish software for Macs and they still do it with an entire division (Mac BU)







    And one of their most profitable units, admittedly said by Bill Gates himself. One way in which Microsoft can make up for lost market share.



    That's how one can tell how smart (shrewd) BG is. Selling Office:Mac makes up for losing OS market share. Plus many switchers buy a copy of Windows and Office to use on their Mac, which retains Microsoft market share dominance.





    The profits they make from the Mac BU are financing the $300M ad blitz. I once thought about that....first, I was like: ..........then, I thought: because the MS commercials suck so bad!





    I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the room where the Apple ad execs saw the two latest ads for the first time.
  • Reply 50 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Riiiight.



    Keeping thinking that those are reasonable substitutes for most people.



    Apparently you haven't used the new Open Office (Version 3), which is a complete (and FREE) replacement for M$ Office. Much more compatible than iWork 2008-which I also happen to like.
  • Reply 51 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jittery jimmy View Post


    Next thing you know, they'll get Carrot Top jumping around.



    Why bother with him when they can just get Ballmer to do it!
  • Reply 52 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post


    Apparently you haven't used the new Open Office (Version 3), which is a complete (and FREE) replacement for M$ Office. Much more compatible than iWork 2008-which I also happen to like.



    Yet again. Fine for a replacement for Word and Powerpoint but can not replace Publisher or even more so Excel.



    There is nothing available that can replace Excel for power users.
  • Reply 53 of 113
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post


    Mafia$oft's new slogan, "Life Without Walls" makes no sense. If there are no walls, you don't need windows. Actually, windows aren't even possible.







    Robert Venturi would probably beg to differ.
  • Reply 54 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooped View Post


    one word: NeoOffice



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post


    Office, what's that?



    Exactly what I was thinking.... fuck office! Neo office is the way to go, and more and more people are realizing they don't need microsoft.



    The ads are brilliant, I especially can't stop watching the money one since it is SO obviously what EVERYONE is thinking about microsoft's skewed ad campaign. God forbid they should ever work on a solution to the problem. "Hey boys, let's just cover it up with some catchy (lame) ads!"
  • Reply 55 of 113
    This is becoming a bit childish if you ask me. I feel it's a sign of weakness to try make your competition look bad for your own good. Apple, you don't need this, please leave this to Microsoft and let them make a fool of themselves.
  • Reply 56 of 113
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I have never really understood it because Apple and Microsoft really do not compete directly.



    1. Microsoft primary objective is to sell software. Most will say Apples primary objective is to sell hardware.



    2. Apple is in the smartphone arena, Microsoft is not.



    3. Microsoft is in the gaming console arena, Apple is not.



    4. Apple creates a DVR type product. Microsoft does not.



    5. iPod and Zune, okay that is about the only thing. Which isnt all that major. Which Apple dominates so why waste the money.



    6. Any software Microsoft does create they dominate the market, OS and Office suites a good example. Doesn't matter who is better they are both dominated by MS. Yet again why waste money where you dominate.



    I seriously doubt these ads do anything except waste money that can be better spent creating new products.



    They are ads that appeal to the base, which both companies have already.



    When I first saw the bean counter ad, I have to admit, I did laugh (it was brilliantly acted), but my first thought was the disastrous Leopard release, then I remembered the disastrous iPhone 3G software, which came at the same time as the disastrous rollout of MobileMe.



    Then I stopped laughing. If you're wondering what the point of the ads are, then just read the reactions to them here ... you'll get it soon enough.



    I mean folk seriously believe that MS cannot afford to spend $300million on advertising and another billion on Vista? Talk about brain-washing.

    Vista's problems are mostly exaggerated and those that do exist, really cannot be fixed by throwing money at it. It's biggest problem is of course XP. With the huge majority of Windows software now living in maintenance mode, there is just no good reason to upgrade from an OS that works extremely well, and they will have the same problem with Windows7 (Apple is right about the name change though. Vista has such negative connotations, MS really needs to dump it).



    If it were as simple as switching money (and again I'm amazed at the lack of intelligence shown here) then why didn't Apple cut back on the advertising and make a better job of Leopard, MobileMe and the iPhone software, straight off the bat?



    Take a good look at the comments round the 'net. The purpose of the ads is not to rag on Microsoft, far from it. They're designed to distract the Mac community from complaining about some of Apple's more bizarre decisions.



    'No TDM on the new Macbooks? Slower processor and higher price? - Beat up on MS for a few ads, that'll get the peasants back in line ....'



    Horrible to think that Apple regards their own community with such contempt, but look around here ... they understand us down to a tee.
  • Reply 57 of 113
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Since when has Leopard launch been deemed 'disastrous'? I certainly didn't remember that one.
  • Reply 58 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post


    When I first saw the bean counter ad, I have to admit, I did laugh (it was brilliantly acted), but my first thought was the disastrous Leopard release, then I remembered the disastrous iPhone 3G software, which came at the same time as the disastrous rollout of MobileMe.



    Then I stopped laughing. If you're wondering what the point of the ads are, then just read the reactions to them here ... you'll get it soon enough.



    I mean folk seriously believe that MS cannot afford to spend $300million on advertising and another billion on Vista? Talk about brain-washing.

    Vista's problems are mostly exaggerated and those that do exist, really cannot be fixed by throwing money at it. It's biggest problem is of course XP. With the huge majority of Windows software now living in maintenance mode, there is just no good reason to upgrade from an OS that works extremely well, and they will have the same problem with Windows7 (Apple is right about the name change though. Vista has such negative connotations, MS really needs to dump it).



    If it were as simple as switching money (and again I'm amazed at the lack of intelligence shown here) then why didn't Apple cut back on the advertising and make a better job of Leopard, MobileMe and the iPhone software, straight off the bat?



    Take a good look at the comments round the 'net. The purpose of the ads is not to rag on Microsoft, far from it. They're designed to distract the Mac community from complaining about some of Apple's more bizarre decisions.



    'No TDM on the new Macbooks? Slower processor and higher price? - Beat up on MS for a few ads, that'll get the peasants back in line ....'



    Horrible to think that Apple regards their own community with such contempt, but look around here ... they understand us down to a tee.



    What you call disastrous? Lets see

    .A operative system that outsold any other ever launched by Apple (maybe u dislike the new look or user interface and functionality)

    .Disastrous iPhone software? I really had no problems yet with it personally , they eventually fixed most of the quirks. Some Nokia, Motorockola, and other phones will never have software update or a real OS inside.

    .Mobil Me, Jobs itself admited it was a mistake to run both product introductions on at the same time, since apple really got a hit with both products and no one lost data I am more than cool with those extra 3 months they gave me.
  • Reply 59 of 113
    I'm no M$ apologist, but let me set clarify a few things...



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    2. Apple is in the smartphone arena, Microsoft is not.



    Actually, the Windows Mobile OS (formerly Win CE) is used on a lot of smart phones. That's serious competition with iPhone.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    4. Apple creates a DVR type product. Microsoft does not.



    Windows Media Center can do DVR-type stuff, I believe. It's built into Vista Professional, IIRC. Also, I'm pretty sure you can get streaming media (music and tv) via your XBox 360.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    5. iPod and Zune, okay that is about the only thing. Which isnt all that major. Which Apple dominates so why waste the money.



    Recently a major magazine (sorry, forgot which one) said that the latest Zune is the best hard-drive based portable music player. (I won't be trading my iPods for Zunes though. )



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    6. Any software Microsoft does create they dominate the market, OS and Office suites a good example. Doesn't matter who is better they are both dominated by MS. Yet again why waste money where you dominate.



    Well, the guys writing Google software would disagree with you that M$ Live Search software dominates over Google's search.
  • Reply 60 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Pages is okay for light Publishing work but not in the same league as MS Publisher.



    This is where you lose all credibility, MS Publisher?! Phaleeeeese, I'd rather use an old version of PageMaker.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel


    So long as it is in good humor but Microsoft makes it worse by taking offense at the ads. If Microsoft would laugh at themselves once in awhile and turnaround and make their own good humored ads it would be all good. Instead their ads come off as someone who is on the defense.



    Well said, that could've been Microsoft's best comeback strategy, but you know... that's not how Ballmer is, he lacks a certain ge ne se qua, and Bill Gates just doesn't get it.
Sign In or Register to comment.