Steve Jobs on Apple's cash, NetBooks, Apple TV, and Cheap PCs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Jobs, still calling AppleTV a hobby because I think he is having a huge hard time breaking into the networks and movie studios distribution of content.

It's pretty solid that Jobs want to make iTunes the portal of all of the content in order to AppleTV becoming a successful and mass market product. The problem is the studios and networks are not buying into it and making it really hard to happen. They are worried the way Apple dominates the digital downloads for music and dictates a lot of the pricing for the same. That's why it has been so difficult for Apple to break in this market. The networks and movie studios do not want to give Apple too much power. So the struggle continues....

Meanwhile the advancement of AppleTV seems to be place on hold. Too bad, I think there is a lot of potential for that product.

As for television goes, besides all the current information and market analysis that is not a good idea at the moment business wise, still AppleTV has to become a great product with mass appeal in order to expand it to new areas of hardware. Until then forget about it. If it happens, will not change dynamics of the HDTV industry and the public perception IMHO.

Again AppleTV has to succeed first as stand alone product.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs announced the release of non-GAPP financial results that expose the hidden, deferred revenues

I think it's "non-GAAP."
  • Reply 23 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Of course. The purchase of P.A Semi has Netbook written all over it and Apple's newfound love for the "Cloud" is another.

I expect a $699-799 Apple "netbook" to hit within 18 months.

Actually I thought the purchase of PA had more "tablet" written all over it than netbook - a market Apple clearly doesn't want to enter (despite what they may or may not say on these calls). They aren't a me-too company. Doing the right kind of tablet will be better than doing another "netbook". Besides, the stuff netbooks are usually used for (chat, shorts spurts of web browsing and email); the iPhone does that stuff just fine.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

Wow, the comments on the AppleTV were really disheartening.

Don't be disheartened; Apple are just holding their cards close to their chest with all this "hobby" talk. It's all just misdirection.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anawrahta View Post

You're right he didn't dismiss it. Although slapping an external KB on an iPhone hardly qualifies it as a netbook.

I am thinking (hoping?) next iteration. A KB doesn't have to be 'slapped on'. It could form part of a soft wallet of some sort. Even then the package would be very small.
  • Reply 26 of 122
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually I thought the purchase of PA had more "tablet" written all over it than netbook - a market Apple clearly doesn't want to enter (despite what they may or may not say on these calls). They aren't a me-too company. Doing the right kind of tablet will be better than doing another "netbook". Besides, the stuff netbooks are usually used for (chat, shorts spurts of web browsing and email); the iPhone does that stuff just fine.

Tablet is a worse market than Netbook. Table PC has been the great hype product of the last decade. I doubt Apple is going there as much as it may bother some people to hear. Steve Jobs recent comments about multitouch and desktops seems to confirm that they aren't looking to move Multi Touch into Desktop applications which to me means their interest in a Tablet is probably nil.

Apple "is" a me too company

They use X86 hardware

They standardize on industry standards

The only thing unique about Apple is industrial design and OS X. The rest of it what they offer is replicated easily by companies like Psystar.

Netbook Sales

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...er-fist-476362

Quote:

Big slice of pie

Looking at the total computer market of just under 28 million sales in that period, netbooks have a very healthy seven per cent share, which is impressive for a category that didn't exist 18 months ago.

Unsurprisingly, Asus and Acer account for 80 per cent of those mini laptop sales, but with Samsung, HP and others ready to muscle in, we can expect that to change soon.

Tablet PC sales 2008

http://technicalconclusions.wordpres...01/tablet_pcs/

Quote:

While the most recent statistics aren’t readily available, the total number of Tablet PC sales was under 1 million units (worldwide) in 2005. In terms of a percentage, that accounts for 1.5% of all “notebook” PC sales.

Sums it up nicely. Tablet PC are a no go.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    Apple did make a "cheap" PC style Mac, it was called the Power Mac 4400 and they used a very cheap PC clone box. See how successful that was? No one wants to buy a poorly made piece-of-shit box. Dell has that market covered. The Dells we have at work are truly noisy pieces of junk boxes. I don't want Apple making something like that. I would rather spend the money for a quality made computer.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

Wow, the comments on the AppleTV were really disheartening.

There is no way they will let this one die. It forms an integral part of the long term strategy. With the success of iTunes the ATV is a natural extension. I think the problem is that there hasn't been a great take up so far. People generally aren't linking the net and Television. I don't think a 'killer' app or piece of hardware will change that quickly. People are still, and will be for quite a while, too used to the 'old' model. The one thing that can speed the process up is content, by which I mean rental movies. When there are ten thousand (I have no idea what the magic number is) movies available for rent, including new releases, the take up will suddenly start to increase dramatically. This could easily be a few years away, though. AppleTV is more of a service than it is a product and most people are fairly happy with the traditional service. Its a hard one to crack.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Apple did make a "cheap" PC style Mac, it was called the Power Mac 4400 and they used a very cheap PC clone box. See how successful that was? No one wants to buy a poorly made piece-of-shit box. Dell has that market covered. The Dells we have at work are truly noisy pieces of junk boxes. I don't want Apple making something like that. I would rather spend the money for a quality made computer.

What are you talking about? I had the 4400 and I loved it! Well... I have always loved my Macs but I must confess, the 4400 was a horribly designed box. It was also extremely noisy. It sat on my desk with a 15" CTR on it. Very PC - like. Those were the days when I should have bought lots of Apple stock. DOH! Oh wait, I had no money for stocks. That's why I had the 4400
  • Reply 30 of 122
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Apple's (and other vendors) "free lunch" is over.

With Comcast instituting Bandwidth caps and the studios reluctant to put themselves

into the same bind as the music studios I don't see Apple dominating video the way

they do music for the reasons gugy so articulately mentioned in his post.

Apple simply doesn't have the video playback device to rule them all like they had with the

iPod. Sometimes I think companies chase success in other areas based on some fallacious

hope that conquering another area is possible via the same methodology.

Broadcast

Cable

Satellite

Netflix/Blockbuster

All represent different ways to access media and frankly downloading media doesn't offer that much of an improvement over using the VoD services from incumbent media providers.

Video access is the new Gold Rush and and their are many companies panning for Gold but few will really be successful.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    ...his questioners. Where does he get the one-liners like the one about Babe Ruth? Brilliant!

As for netbooks, I saw a report that less than 1M had been sold in the US. As long as the numbers are low, Steve won't enter. It's like UMPCs, MIDs, HTPCs and now Netbooks. Apple doesn't have alot of engineers, and there's only one Steve. They can't make hundreds of products, and Steve has said so. They have to pick and choose, and they're going to pick and choose the most profitable businesses they find, where they can add their unique value.

It's far more likely that Apple won't make a netbook, that dumbs down a Macbook. It's not the Apple Way. It's far more likely that Apple will take an iPhone, and grow it into a netbook, with an iTab or iDevice. Something about double the size it is now. That's where PA Semi can fit, designing a low-power cpu, based on powerpc. Powerful as a laptop, but power-miserly as a iPhone. Something like that.

And, Steve said, if the netbook market takes off, they'll be watching and he has some good ideas about it. So there. It's in the research labs.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    exactly hmurchison,

This is Apple biggest hurdle. If they conquer that AppleTV will become a huge success overnight.

Right now I think the device is cool, I hope for a bit more in order to buy it, but I am not dropping my satellite and DVR equipment for it yet. Still have a long way to go.
  • Reply 33 of 122
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple's (and other vendors) "free lunch" is over.

With Comcast instituting Bandwidth caps and the studios reluctant to put themselves

into the same bind as the music studios I don't see Apple dominating video the way

they do music for the reasons gugy so articulately mentioned in his post.

You have to be a gluttonous internet user to exceed Comcast's cap. I think it's the equivalent of downloading four of Apple's HD movies per day, every day.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I put it in another thread somewhere, but I will put it here also...

I think Apple just might make a netbook, but not just a netbook...

As much as I hate it, I think a convertible laptop/tablet might not be a bad idea. I am thinking a 10" touchscreen display, one that handles both multi-touch AND stylus input. Styled after the uni-body MacBook, just scaled down to a 10" model. 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD & backlit keyboard standard. Stylus stores in device, much like the stylus in a ModBook. Able to tether to an iPhone (or iPhone nano!) for 3G network access (when WiFi is not available). Internals would be somewhere between the Air and the MacBook.

Obviously, this would be in the upper-mid to high end of the netbook pricing spectrum...

I just don't like the idea of that pivot/swivel hinge...
  • Reply 35 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I put it in another thread somewhere, but I will put it here also...

I think Apple just might make a netbook, but not just a netbook...

As much as I hate it, I think a convertible laptop/tablet might not be a bad idea. I am thinking a 10" touchscreen display, one that handles both multi-touch AND stylus input. Styled after the uni-body MacBook, just scaled down to a 10" model. 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD & backlit keyboard standard. Stylus stores in device, much like the stylus in a ModBook. Able to tether to an iPhone (or iPhone nano!) for 3G network access (when WiFi is not available). Internals would be somewhere between the Air and the MacBook.

Obviously, this would be in the upper-mid to high end of the netbook pricing spectrum...

I just don't like the idea of that pivot/swivel hinge...

And what market segment would this be aimed at? I just can't see it. I mean, if you can't stick it in your pocket, why not get an Air or a MacBook?
  • Reply 36 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Jobs was also asked about Tablet computing and touch screens... I can't really talk about any of the future products we're working on, I'm sorry."

One thing for sure, a Tablet Mac is in the pipelines.
  • Reply 37 of 122
    The Mini is NOT a piece of junk - not now, not ever. For the few that need or want a small, quiet desktop Mac (without a screen), the Mini is perfect. But, Apple *has to* update the graphics. Let's hope...
  • Reply 38 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

There is no way they will let this one die. It forms an integral part of the long term strategy. With the success of iTunes the ATV is a natural extension. I think the problem is that there hasn't been a great take up so far. People generally aren't linking the net and Television. I don't think a 'killer' app or piece of hardware will change that quickly. People are still, and will be for quite a while, too used to the 'old' model. The one thing that can speed the process up is content, by which I mean rental movies. When there are ten thousand (I have no idea what the magic number is) movies available for rent, including new releases, the take up will suddenly start to increase dramatically. This could easily be a few years away, though. AppleTV is more of a service than it is a product and most people are fairly happy with the traditional service. Its a hard one to crack.

Digital movies aren't quite where digital music is. Where digital music took lead to having your music much more accessible, digital movie in some aspects take a step backwards from DVD/Blu-Ray. The files are very large. The quality isn't as good. The DRM restricts where you can watch your movie. You can't let a friend borrow it, or take your movie to someone else's house. You are also very limited in what devices you can use it on. Lastly, You cannot import your existing library or export to an optical disc like you can with music.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    [re] "Apple added another $3.7 billion in cash during the quarter, so it now has $24.5 billion "safely in the bank, and zero debt" Jobs noted. He spoke of "extraordinary opportunities" for companies in a time of economic downturn "with the cash to take advantage of them, like Apple does," but wouldn't clarify how that might relate to any specific strategies, including new efforts to acquire other companies." [/re]

Apple's saving up their pennies for the big Yahoo acquisition
  • Reply 40 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

RDF or not, this guy is a true leader.

Buy. (But only if you have the cajones to Hold.)

Amen! But I wish I would have bought a ton in February 2004 - when the stock was $14.