Microsoft parks "I'm a PC" recording booth outside Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 161 of 209
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I missed all the fun.

I don't know if you would find it fun or not.

It was a picture of a guy with no pants on, and his wang was in the tailpipe of a truck.
  • Reply 162 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know if you would find it fun or not.

It was a picture of a guy with no pants on, and his wang was in the tailpipe of a truck.

You're right, that doesn't sound like fun. I had figured it was an argument that got emotional and out of hand.
  • Reply 163 of 209
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

Given how Apple markets it products,

how so.

cause how I see Apple marketing their products is several fold

1. having ads that address two issues a. what the computer/ipod/phone/whatever can do in a fun and snazzy way, b. taking those 'issues' that folks have with computers and showing how many of them Apple has conquered and how

2. having a website that is more than spec sheets and a few driver downloads, there's video and text tutorials, cool features like Set to Screen, an easy to find support page, discussion boards etc.

3. having dedicated retail stores where the sales staff isn't pushy, is willing to answer questions, show you cool stuff etc. plus you get hands on training and tech support.

what is Microsoft doing lately

1. ads that address one issue "Apple thinks we are all the same, we are not"

2. have you seen their website. blah corporate and finding help is an adventure

3. well there's nothing to counter that. unless you count the stereo guy that is covering in computers at the local circuit city.

Microsoft has done NOTHING to counter Apple's less than pretty comments and can't sue cause everything is basically true. Having Gates or whomever film a pointed heart to heart that blantantly says "okay here's the honest truth. We've had some stumbles, we've made some mistakes. but we are pledging to fix the mess we created. We owe all our devoted Windows users that much. So that is our promise to all of you. And we will keep our promise" would do more for them than all the cute antics and portapotty video booths. And be a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • Reply 164 of 209
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by offroadering View Post

You buy the combination of hardware and software, thats the deal with Mac, so surely dual-booting is in itself an admission of the shortcomings of the overall package?

just the opposite. it takes a better computer to be able to dual boot cause it has to be able to deal with more factors where things don't overlap.
  • Reply 165 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They aren't crippling any of the market as FW still exists on the cheapest MB, the MBP and every other current Mac desktop. But the operative term here is "<1%" which makes me wonder why you think Apple should support a dead-end port interface for such a small number people for antiquated miniDV cameras. Not to mention that the disappearance was a long time coming with plenty of evidence to support Apple dropping FW400 support.

First off, without defending firewire, the #1 protocol that Apple introduced, if what you were saying was true, it isn't, they would have moved from 1394 to HDMI, they didn't.

Please, have some dignity.

Let me explain something.

First Macbook had a OpenGL benchmark of 71%, still no games, but you could run MOTION, FCP and the likes.

Then the 2nd gen MB ran at 141%, then 150%, all the way up to 171% when Leopard came out. It was everywhere (BAREFEATS, and more) that a MB could be used as a cheap solution for PRO apps, so, why would Apple turn around and release the X300 that brought the benchmark way down to 70% again? Why?

Please explain?

You couldn't play games on it. But it went from 171% to 70%! Why?

Because Apple didn't want the PRO to use it, period.

Stop being a fan boy and realize this. Most camera's are 1394, let alone audio interfaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire_camera

Apple made it standard, pushed iLife into mainstream, CREATIVES went from teaching FCP, Motion to iLife, then Apple cripples it. USB is a step backward. Second, the new MBP uses the same chasis, therefore the cost is similar yet has a much higher mark up.

Think about it. Firewire with the present GPU on new macbook = final cut and motion use, but no, Jobs to paranoid to let that happen.

Only a matter of time (especially given the market hype of iPhone starting to take a seat to newer phones within 12 months).

Another argument can be made that iMac = great machine but no matte screen. They used to be matte but now are all glossy and color correction can't be done.

Matte will come out in time for MBP, all models and I think FIREWIRE will come back to all machines once Apple starts losing and has to explain their dropped market share, dropped earnings on products. More than not, many are upset about the lack of firewire and I am talking about consumer as the PRO user makes up less than 1% of the market as now, the MOM AND POP users have firewire cameras.

If apple truly wanted to be revolutionary and not paranoid, all macbooks would have firewire and dedicated GPU, but alas, as with everything Apple, there is always a catch. Only a matter of time before the market dictates what Apple has to release.
  • Reply 166 of 209
    PS. Make all machines FIREWIRE and PROS will buy as secondary, not their top machine.

Apple needs to stop doing things like this. For example, why release Memory for PROS that require special heat sinks? Well, its due to the user coming from the PC world and knowing how to swap out ram whereas most typical mac users do not know how to do this. If you do, you're labeled a genius? Gimme a break. RAM (4GB) can be had for less than $100. But if you want pro, you have to buy their propriety ram seated ram. What a scam.
  • Reply 167 of 209
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

...they would have moved from 1394 to HDMI, they didn't...

You started off making little sense and then unraveled any sort of focus from there so i can only answer the first part or your diatribe.

HDMI is not a replacement to FW.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

For example, why release Memory for PROS that require special heat sinks?

Are you talking abut the ECC RAM that is required for the Xeon-based Mac Pros? Future Mac Pros won't require ECC so the RAM will be faster and we may lose the heatsinks if the heat is down far enough. If you really think the inclusion of heatsinks are to make the RAM somehow 'proprietary' despite the RAM pins being standard and that many vendors make the RAM with the included heatsinks, and not to actually remove heat from the RAM then I have no way of having a civil conversation with you.
  • Reply 168 of 209
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

just the opposite. it takes a better computer to be able to dual boot cause it has to be able to deal with more factors where things don't overlap.

Rubbish. Pretty much all computers can multi-boot. Apple offers the nicest way once installed, though it is still a bit complicated installation-wise.
  • Reply 169 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

1. Where are these viruses? I think taking the "virus-free" thing off the site was a marketing decision, but I'm still waiting for those viruses.

2. Sure, Macs crash. My log tells me I crashed twice in 2006, once even in 2007. Sometimes I get a Finder crash: you see a blue screen, then everything restarts. I think it's been twice this year. The other crashes are apps. The quit, and then you restart them. Very seldom.

3. Vista more secure? Hah. I guess it has to be, with the billions of malware vectors shredding it every day.

4. Mobile Me's been working for me since about two weeks on. The team was fired, and the guy behind iTunes now runs it. It's been getting slicker and slicker.

5. iPhone signal? You could fool me. Heard of firmware update 2.1? Now, if you want a cumbersome, crash-prone system, get Windows Mobile.

So you've memorized a number of half-truths that aren't true now.

For points 1 and 2, the point is Apple used to go on about no Virus's and how Mac OS X just worked. Times have changed and Apple no longer advertises is but Microsoft doesn't do anything to to point out that this is the case.

For point 3, every report I've read in the last year for competitions to hack a machine the fastest where there has been a Mac and Vista machine, the Mac has gone first. Not to mention there has been loads of security flaws for the Mac reported in the last year.

For 4, true they missed the boat on this one but Apple did screw up big time with it.

For 5 yeah I heard of firmware update 2.1 but everyone I know with an iPhone still says the signal quality is rubbish compared to the phone they had before.
  • Reply 170 of 209
    Reminds me of the Fieldrunners app. Bizarre!!
  • Reply 171 of 209
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
  • Reply 172 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

For points 1 and 2, the point is Apple used to go on about no Virus's and how Mac OS X just worked. Times have changed and Apple no longer advertises is but Microsoft doesn't do anything to to point out that this is the case.

For point 3, every report I've read in the last year for competitions to hack a machine the fastest where there has been a Mac and Vista machine, the Mac has gone first. Not to mention there has been loads of security flaws for the Mac reported in the last year.

For 4, true they missed the boat on this one but Apple did screw up big time with it.

For 5 yeah I heard of firmware update 2.1 but everyone I know with an iPhone still says the signal quality is rubbish compared to the phone they had before.

#1,2: Times have changed, huh? I admin an environment of PC and Macs and the Macs run no virus protection software at all and I have yet to see any problems. In the same time, the PCs "protected" with Norton AV are being taken down from time-to-time and require a good manual patching up. Times may have changed, but not by much.

#3: "Every report"? Send me some sources. Because of my line of work, I keep my ear to the ground in terms of Mac security and I've heard nothing. I'd be very interested in these "reports." Oh, and if you're referring to that stoopid Tipping Point hacking contest, you may as well give it up. All three platforms, Mac, Windows and Linux, resisted remote attacks until the "hackers" were given some measure of physical access to the machines in the form of a proxy user willing to do whatever the contestant directed them to do. The Mac went down first only because the Windows hackers didn't realize they were hacking Vista and assumed XP. The person who brought down the Windows box said he had the hack on the same day as the Mac was brought down but didn't have time to implement it. And btw, those were browser exploits, not operating system issues so it really didn't prove much of anything. In fact, that whole sham of a contest proved exactly nothing other than all three major platforms are pretty secure when it comes to remote hacking and that all bets are off when you have some physical control over the machine.

#4: Apple did screw up MobileMe, but at least they know that and are working to fix it instead of renaming it MohaveMe and throwing millions of dollars behind an ad campaign to patch up its image.

#5: I have an iPhone. Have yet to experience a dropped signal. Besides, I'd say that has a lot more to do with AT&T's coverage than the iPhone per se.
  • Reply 173 of 209
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if this was a US store, especially in California the manager of the store in question would be on the phone in like 5 seconds dropping an anon tip about a fire hazard for blocking the entrance to a store.

Unless the lady in the picture is only 6 inches tall, there's at least 10 feet between the front of the store and the booth.
  • Reply 174 of 209
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I figure that is a good place for those who are about to switch to Mac or have just switched to Mac to send a message to Microsoft.

I'm a PC and I'm so tired of all the hassles with Windows that I am here outside the Apple store about to switch.

that sort of thing.
  • Reply 175 of 209
    This is really strange and sounds like desperate measures to me. Comparative marketing is generally bad although Apple seems to get away with it using humour. But for MS to do it is just ridiculous and I think it will harm them. Regardless, the Apple Ads must be hurting them.
  • Reply 176 of 209
    What they should do at that store is put a big sign in the window that says, "I can be a PC, too... If you insist."

• Reply 177 of 209
    .... The Apple store closest to my house is the closest to Redmond. If they place on of those by that apple store I will go into one of them and say, "I'm a Mac...". Apple should go and build an Apple store right next to Microsoft. Than I could get to an Apple Store much quicker.
  • Reply 178 of 209
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

.... The Apple store closest to my house is the closest to Redmond. If they place on of those by that apple store I will go into one of them and say, "I'm a Mac...". Apple should go and build an Apple store right next to Microsoft. Than I could get to an Apple Store much quicker.

Are you talking about the Lynnwood store or Bellevue store. I got my iMac from the Lynnwood store at Alderwood Mall. That is about the nicest one I have seen.
  • Reply 179 of 209
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

#1,2: Times have changed, huh? I admin an environment of PC and Macs and the Macs run no virus protection software at all and I have yet to see any problems. In the same time, the PCs "protected" with Norton AV are being taken down from time-to-time and require a good manual patching up. Times may have changed, but not by much.

#3: "Every report"? Send me some sources. Because of my line of work, I keep my ear to the ground in terms of Mac security and I've heard nothing. I'd be very interested in these "reports." Oh, and if you're referring to that stoopid Tipping Point hacking contest, you may as well give it up. All three platforms, Mac, Windows and Linux, resisted remote attacks until the "hackers" were given some measure of physical access to the machines in the form of a proxy user willing to do whatever the contestant directed them to do. The Mac went down first only because the Windows hackers didn't realize they were hacking Vista and assumed XP. The person who brought down the Windows box said he had the hack on the same day as the Mac was brought down but didn't have time to implement it. And btw, those were browser exploits, not operating system issues so it really didn't prove much of anything. In fact, that whole sham of a contest proved exactly nothing other than all three major platforms are pretty secure when it comes to remote hacking and that all bets are off when you have some physical control over the machine.

#4: Apple did screw up MobileMe, but at least they know that and are working to fix it instead of renaming it MohaveMe and throwing millions of dollars behind an ad campaign to patch up its image.

#5: I have an iPhone. Have yet to experience a dropped signal. Besides, I'd say that has a lot more to do with AT&T's coverage than the iPhone per se.

I have to agree, Apple changing its advertising is likely more a result of the fact that it gets sued near constantly over even the stupidest things. And all this talk of Mac viruses is really ridiculous. While they certainly exist, for the average user, they're pretty much non-existent.

My MobileMe account was definitely in crappy shape for the first month or so, but those problems are long since over and as he said, Apple took full responsibility and offered three free extra months of service. To me, that's an excellent apology from a company I wasn't even super displeased with.

And please stop talking about second hand knowledge of the iPhone. I live in Georgia and when I'm in the Atlanta area where AT&T has the best service, my reception is amazing, when I'm in the few other areas in the state that AT&T offers 3G, my service is just so so. That says nothing about the iPhone hardware or software and it also says nothing about Windows Mobile, the vast majority of whose phones I find run on Verizon at the moment.
  • Reply 180 of 209
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by offroadering View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Any good?

You buy the combination of hardware and software, thats the deal with Mac, so surely dual-booting is in itself an admission of the shortcomings of the overall package?

Apple itself has been promoting Boot Camp on its own website. All OS's have shortcomings and OS X's is obviously that some software will not run under that OS - hence the need for Dual booting into Windows and virtualisation software. I think that's one of the major reasons people don't buy Macs - because they believe, now wrongly, that they will have to lose their investment (both mental and financial) in Windows software. It's an extremely good idea to advertise the fact that with Macs you can have the best of both worlds.

You have to remember that for the vast majority of people out there, the Mac universe is still a complete mystery. Sure they've heard of them - but that's where it stops. I consider myself pretty computer savvy. But references to the Linux OS is see from time to time leave me cold because I have no need or interest in it. Ergo I have very little knowledge of that OS. It's the same for people who have known nothing else but Windows.

I also think that there's an air of snootiness and superiority that many Mac users possess and that is a complete turnoff for potential Mac customers. It doesn't look good to continuously trumpet the Mac cause no matter what is said and done by Apple and, similarly, it doesn't pay to continuously bash Windows and Microsoft no matter what they do. Sometimes they deserve it, but sometimes they actually do a pretty good job and I think it's healthy for both sides to acknowledge that.

Like it or not, Apple still needs Microsoft for many reasons.