Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2

Comments

• Reply 201 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Consumers have 30 days to take the phone back if they don't like it, you are pulling this stuff out of your butt.

Imagine Engine is writing from Vancouver, BC, and is therefore subject to either Rogers' or Fido's returns policy.

They state that you have the earlier of 30 days or ownership, or 30 minutes of talk time, to return the phone.

If you've talked on your iPhone for more than 30 minutes, that's it. Rogers/Fido will not take the phone back except for warranty exchange.

[edit]

An internal memo that was circulated unofficially says Rogers' normal 30 minute cap doesn't apply to the iPhone. If I could see it in an official policy it'd be nice, but it does seem to contradict Imagine Engine's statement.

[/edit]
  • Reply 202 of 233
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'm not excusing Safari crashing at all, it crashed for me on 2.2. But how do you use it for 3.5 hours? Holy crap!

Exactly! If Daniel0418 browses Safari for 3-1/2 hours straight on his iPhone, two things are obvious - he's plugged into a charger and he's invented a whole new form of self-abuse. Hope he doesn't go blind!
  • Reply 203 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Exactly! If Daniel0418 browses Safari for 3-1/2 hours straight on his iPhone, two things are obvious - he's plugged into a charger and he's invented a whole new form of self-abuse. Hope he doesn't go blind!

The iPhone 3G can use Safari for a lot longer than that. with the iPod running, the screen brightness at around 70%, and 3G enabled on I can get about 5 hours of Safari use. With the iPod running, the screen brightness at it's minimum, and EDGE enabled I can get 9 hours of use. This is pretty damn constant use, but not entire constant as some pages I stay on longer than others. This also includes receiving emails in Push throughout the day.
  • Reply 204 of 233
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If any product is being evolved into something a consumer doesn't want - of course the consumer should speak up. That is not complaining.

Look at the AppleTV- that's evolved into an Apple Digital Jukebox that puts my files' priority at the bottom of it's menu. It basic mission is to sell/rent me DRM crap. I can't even search my own music- only what's for sale from Apple. Would I have bought that in June 2007 if I knew that here in Nov 2008 it would evolve into that? No way.

Maybe you wouldn't, but many would. I can not talk about AppleTV because I really don't have one yet. In my opinion, AppleTV is an experiment and will need changes in both ISP and Studios in order for it to be mainstream product.

If Apple product owner go to Apple website and fill out feedback form then I believe we will have better chances of getting what we want. Going to online forums and blogs and whining about it doesn't help any.
  • Reply 205 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If Apple product owner go to Apple website and fill out feedback form then I believe we will have better chances of getting what we want. Going to online forums and blogs and whining about it doesn't help any.

I can't speak for others but I have been filling out feedback at Apple for over a year.
  • Reply 206 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone 3G can use Safari for a lot longer than that. with the iPod running, the screen brightness at around 70%, and 3G enabled on I can get about 5 hours of Safari use. With the iPod running, the screen brightness at it's minimum, and EDGE enabled I can get 9 hours of use. This is pretty damn constant use, but not entire constant as some pages I stay on longer than others. This also includes receiving emails in Push throughout the day.

That's pretty impressive. I think my battery is getting hammered because it is always trying to switch between 3G and Edge (in my particular city, here on the equator)... Or something to do with my network's 3G signal causing more intense battery drain on the iPhone 3G, perhaps the iPhone is trying to boost the signal or something.
  • Reply 207 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

I can't speak foe others but I have been filling out feedback at Apple for over a year.

Ah, the joys of representative democracy infused with capitalism... Seriously though, it is great that people keep giving feedback to Apple. I am now very tempted to turn off AutoCorrect in my iPhone 3G ver 2.2 software. Though I have been able to figure out two-handed texting/ emailing/ etc. on my iPhone recently, so the AutoCorrect isn't giving me too much grief nowadays. Study a BlackBerry user closely and you will pick up some ideas how to push your iPhone text entry harder and faster LOL.
  • Reply 208 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's pretty impressive. I think my battery is getting hammered because it is always trying to switch between 3G and Edge (in my particular city, here on the equator)... Or something to do with my network's 3G signal causing more intense battery drain on the iPhone 3G, perhaps the iPhone is trying to boost the signal or something.

it's possible. I'll be traveling again starting next week so I'll be able to do more testing. I think the area i was in was pretty good for an AT&T network if the reports from other AT&T suers are to be taken at face value.
  • Reply 209 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

How useful is street view if the maps haven't been updated in frickin 5 years!

Ok, after figuring out how to look around, it's pretty fun to play with.

Ask Google!
  • Reply 210 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthamil View Post

Hello. Has anybody else had a problem updating the apps on their iPhone? When I click on the "App Store" icon and then select "Updates" it takes foreveve "Loading", and then says "Cannot Connect to Store." It willl not let you access them from within iTunes either.

I had the same response initially. Waited a couple of hours and it worked fine. Now it is virtually instantaneous.

Perhaps it was simply an overload on the system. With over 100 million iPhones and iPod Touches, it could be a lot trying to get on at the same time. I would, however, not include many who are posting here, as most don't even have an iPhone. And by the ignorant questions and comments, not even an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 211 of 233
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    The lack of video recording is definitely a hardware limitation.

Nokia's N-series and other phones with good video recording abilities use a dedicated video encoder chip. Cheaper phones don't have a dedicated chip but the resolution and framerate is poor (QCIF @ 15fps typically).
  • Reply 212 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Imagine Engine is writing from Vancouver, BC, and is therefore subject to either Rogers' or Fido's returns policy.

They state that you have the earlier of 30 days or ownership, or 30 minutes of talk time, to return the phone.

If you've talked on your iPhone for more than 30 minutes, that's it. Rogers/Fido will not take the phone back except for warranty exchange.

[edit]

An internal memo that was circulated unofficially says Rogers' normal 30 minute cap doesn't apply to the iPhone. If I could see it in an official policy it'd be nice, but it does seem to contradict Imagine Engine's statement.

[/edit]

Lot of BS here, i.e., this entire site comments.

Firstly, the referenced posting was dated before the iPhone came out.

Secondly, could you link "memo" to the actual "internal memo", I don't feel like going through 36 pages to find it.

Finally, if one can find another "Official" Return Policy. other than Rogers' official Store Policy on Returns, (http://your.rogers.com/about/storepolicy.asp) I would appreciate being notified of it.
  • Reply 213 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Lot of BS here.

I honestly didn't intend to stir up any s**t here, nor did I expect that anything I had to say would bring on such an angry response. I regret that it seems to have annoyed you, but your anger management is your problem, not mine. I stand by the factual truth of everything I said, and I will not apologize for having said it.

Quote:

Firstly, the referenced posting was dated before the iPhone came out.

Hence the speculation that it was a memo telling employees what to expect - surely they'd be distributing that information ahead of time, to get the employees ready.

Quote:

Secondly, could you link "memo" to the actual "internal memo", I don't feel like going through 36 pages to find it.

The "memo" I was referring to was actually the information posted at the very top of the very first page I linked to. Specifically, this paragraph:

Quote:

Return Policy

The return policy for Fido iPhone 3G is changing from 15 days to 30 days for both Apple and Fido stores. The 30-day Rogers grace period will remain unchanged with the exception of no limits being imposed for voice or data usage.

Quote:

Finally, if one can find another "Official" Return Policy. other than Rogers' official Store Policy on Returns, (http://your.rogers.com/about/storepolicy.asp) I would appreciate being notified of it.

I saw that policy web page, but I am certain that it is not telling the whole story, because notwisthtanding whatever it may say on a non-binding web page, I know for certain that the actual printed contract I signed with Rogers when I purchased my last phone with them (not an iPhone) had a clause specifically limiting the return policy to the first 30 days or 30 minutes of talk time, whichever came first.

Hence my statement that I'd love to find some more definitive information.
  • Reply 214 of 233
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Look at the context of it. People here on AI complaining that Apple is screwing up the iPhone and will allow other manufacturers to catch up simply because it does not have copy and paste.

When I am away from AI and am out in the world interacting with thousands of other people using iPhones. I rarely hear any of them complain that they want the iPhone to do what people complain about on AI.

The majority of iPhone users are not thinking about this stuff. They are out living life and enjoying their phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Frankly, a "you're in the minority" argument is a cop-out.

Carrying the trivial argument even farther, a data phone is often a poor use of money in the larger scheme of things, arguing about what features are trivial or not on a trivial device is a triviality in itself. Might as well acknowledge it and embrace it.

• Reply 215 of 233
    Quote:

Look at the context of it. People here on AI complaining that Apple is screwing up the iPhone and will allow other manufacturers to catch up simply because it does not have copy and paste.

When I am away from AI and am out in the world interacting with thousands of other people using iPhones. I rarely hear any of them complain that they want the iPhone to do what people complain about on AI.

The majority of iPhone users are not thinking about this stuff. They are out living life and enjoying their phones.

... and getting work done with them.

This whine-fest reminds me of the utterly ridiculous one over the MBA.
  • Reply 216 of 233
    Greetings,

I came to this forum to find out if the new iPhone and iTunes updates are stable and worthwhile, or if there are any issues that would dissuade me from installing them. Anyone?
  • Reply 217 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Greetings,

I came to this forum to find out if the new iPhone and iTunes updates are stable and worthwhile, or if there are any issues that would dissuade me from installing them. Anyone?

Welcome to AI!

I installed the other day and have noticed nothing but improvements. Not a single crash, either.
  • Reply 218 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

I honestly didn't intend to stir up any s**t here, nor did I expect that anything I had to say would bring on such an angry response.

I apologize if inferred that your posting was BS. It was intended for the most of the 200 plus comments to the article itself and not to your posting. I have edited my remark.

As for the 'internal memo', referencing an internal memo as was originally done, is no evidence whatsoever and considering posted prior to the official announcing raises issues of its legitimacy.

And like you, I too called for confirmation or additional info on Rogers' return policy by addressing the request to any 'one'.

So I checked by making a few phone calls and as such, here is the Return Policy for all Rogers smart phones. 30-day or 30-minute or less talk time and/or 150 Kbs of data. (It's in the contract that you sign or is included in delivery of an on-line purchase.

Telus has a 20 day return policy however, 0 days on their smart phones.

AT&T has a 30-day return plus a 10% restocking charge.

----------------------------

Again, here is my current Rogers (Canada) bill.
    Price of 3G 8G iPhone $199CND
    $153.37US
    Service:.......................................... .$CND.............................Description

Voice .............................................. $27 .................. ........300 minutes family plan (3 cell phones)

.................................................. ..... ....................free weekend and evening starting at 6PM

Data Usage Plan 6Gbs.......................$30 ...................(monthly average use last 3 months = 140 MBs)

3G Visual Voicemail Value Pack ........$11...................(1st month free) Visual Voicemail, Call Display,

.................................................. ..... ....................WhoCalled? & 2,500 Sent Text Messages (incoming are free)

System Access Fee ...........................$6.95

Total .............................................$74.9 5CDN
    $57.76US
    I would love to get some other 'actual' costs to do a true comparison of world wide services, however only a couple of other iPhone 3g owners have responded. This would seem to indicate that most of the bloggers can't do so because they don't have a iPhone at all.
  • Reply 219 of 233
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Works great for me. The number one stand out improvement is Safari. Finally Safari is stable. Its faster and doesn't crash nearly as much.

People who've complained that Google street view isn't important. I dare you to try it. You will find that you cannot stop playing with it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Greetings,

• Reply 220 of 233
    Quote:

Copy Paste is merely 1 feature out of several... it doesn't solely ride on copy paste.

Two people in my office updated over the weekend.. neither one had anything to remark on with the latest update aside from 'what was the point of it?' and 'what's new in it?' after filling them in I got 'oh well that seems pointless.' I guess here in the midwest Google Street View doesn't get people excited?