Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2

Comments

• Reply 101 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Last_Restraint View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd30Vd6UYcw

How sad a citizen not with the company can make it happen, but Apple can't.... Hardware not able to do it? OOOOOK then.

That wasn't that bad if it was made with the phone... I would have like to seen him record a 30 second spot or something and then play it back though, I'm cynical like that

Steve
  • Reply 102 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Awful quality. On top of being probably only 5-7 fps (ROFL) it only shoots a few seconds at a time.

This is where everyone else is up to.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMiXYqhiPs

I appreciate that in some aspects iphone is way ahead of everyone else but when it comes to this it is still trying to make a wheel go round whilst everyone else is building cars by the day.

Now we're talking...
  • Reply 103 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It all depends. You make the assumption that Apple is absolutely refusing to offer these features. That may not be true. Since we are not a part of their development process we really don't know. Apple has said they are working on providing many of the features and we just have to be patient. Or use a different phone that does what you want.

By now you should realize that Apple is starting to piss off many of it's loyal customers. Every time Apple brings an update, it usually has features that customers did not really want or ask for, time and time over in these fora people had asked for copy and paste, but a year and a half had passed and there is still no Copy and Paste.

Now Copy & Paste is a feature that would not be useful for me personally, but I mean c'mon is Apple really that arrogant?

Other features such as a video recording which runs very well on a jailbroken iPhone yet fails to make it on a locked iPhone!??
  • Reply 104 of 233
    So far so good with the new update. Responsiveness is better and it hasn't dropped calls like it used to (still to early to tell). Safari improvements sound promising.

The new features a little disappointing, but hopefully next update will be better. Copy/paste is a big one for me too. I'd also really like to see access to the file system. A sandboxed system which doesn't allow access to the system or app files, but let users open, save, and share files, such as documents, music or graphic files, etc between apps would be awesome.
  • Reply 105 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

By now you should realize that Apple is starting to piss off many of it's loyal customers. Every time Apple brings an update, it usually has features that customers did not really want or ask for, time and time over in these fora people had asked for copy and paste, but a year and a half had passed and there is still no Copy and Paste.

Now Copy & Paste is a feature that would not be useful for me personally, but I mean c'mon is Apple really that arrogant?

Other features such as a video recording which runs very well on jailbroken iPhone yet fails to make on a locked iPhone??

I am starting to think the problem they are having with copy and paste is caused by their original software design and how data is shared between apps (if at all possible). I don't buy the physical implementation argument, that they are trying to figure out how someone would actually do it.
  • Reply 106 of 233
    I got a Touch recently and the update makes wi-fi connection to my router easier with WPA and fixes an 'edit what you just typed' issue when re-naming text files in Stanza.

Good good.

Update: No, Wait, the edit typing freeze is still there when renaming a file in Stanza.
  • Reply 107 of 233
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I do realize their is a relatively small group of people who have the luxury and time to care so much about something that is fairly trivial in the larger scheme of things.

Quote:

Other features such as a video recording which runs very well on jailbroken iPhone yet fails to make on a locked iPhone??

• Reply 108 of 233
    Quote:

I do realize their is a relatively small group of people who have the luxury and time to care so much about something that is fairly trivial in the larger scheme of things.

And since you seem to be quite the expert when it comes to the larger scheme of things, what are those more trivial things that are hampering lord Apple from providing their bitter customers some simple dingbats to quench their needs?
  • Reply 109 of 233
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Apple doesn't care about us Touch users- WAGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Want's to make more money off us in the name of GAAP-- NOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!!
  • Reply 110 of 233
    Certainly I don't know what is driving Apple's decisions on its feature updates, any more than anyone who does not work at Apple.

What I do know is that the iPhone has to compete in a very competitive market, saturated with thousands of options. If Apple did not provide what people wanted the iPhone would not survive.

If you bought an iPhone but it did not provide all of the features you really want with the assumption that Apple would include them later. If you feel pissed because those features have no come about, ultimately its your fault.

Quote:

And since you seem to be quite the expert when it comes to the larger scheme of things, what are those more trivial things that are hampering lord Apple from providing their bitter customers some simple dingbats to quench their needs?

• Reply 111 of 233
    While I'm happy for the improvements made to Google Maps I'm not overly impressed with this update from Apple due to it yet again lacks features found in other smartphones. Features that are lacking are ones which their customers such as myself have been asking for since the first iPhone was released over a year ago. Such as the ability to edit documents, record video, digital zoom with timer for the camera, tethering, MMS, AD2P and copy/paste. Several such features are available to only jailbroken iPhones due to several have been delayed by Apple's red tape approval process for months or even blocked entirely from posting in the App Store (ie: tethering apps). It's the reason why I'll continue to jailbreak unless Apple starts taking the smartphone market more serious by offering useful updates.
  • Reply 112 of 233
    If you understand the history of Apple. You would know they have never done things simply because someone else has done it.

If the features in those other smartphones were all that compelling and useful the iPhone would not be outselling every other phone in the market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

While I'm happy for the improvements made to Google Maps I'm not overly impressed with this update from Apple due to it yet again lacks features found in other smartphones.

• Reply 113 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All this crap I'm hearing is a good example of why corporal punishment needs to be more common place. Frankly people whining about an update that fixes as much as this one apparently does need to be taken out to the wood shed and worked over until their expectations are more reasonable.

Harsh you may say? Not at all would be my response. For example Apple never advertised that IPhone had MMS or a video capable camera, so why do people suddenly expect such functionality? More so if you need such functionality download the SDK and write your own. You will either be humbled or learn the hardware limitations.

What is more important is that these improvements, bug fixed and updates should lead to many more stable apps. Especially stuff that uses web technologies.

I see nothing to complain about in this update. At least not yet. Faster and more stable is always good.

Dave

Dave,

The real issue is that Apple is not listening to their customers. Yes they do provide some things that are of use to customers such as bug fixes but that should be expected of any developer. The reality is that several features such as MMS, video recording and tethering have been available for several months but Apple has chosen to either ignore these third party app developers or block them entirely from posting in the App Store. MMS is a feature that has been common place in the cellphone market for years and is available on the most basic of cellphones. It makes no sense that Apple can't provide such features to their customers. I can see potential for the iPhone 3G to be a very useful device in consumers daily lives but only if Apple puts real work into providing missing features that their competitors are already offering. A first step would be to actually listen to their customers feedback even when it's negative instead of deleting posts relating to missing features on their Apple User to User Discussion Forum.
  • Reply 114 of 233
    Quote:

If you understand the history of Apple. You would know they have never done things simply because someone else has done it.

If the features in those other smartphones were all that compelling and useful the iPhone would not be outselling every other phone in the market.

The main reason it outsells other smartphones currently is due to smart advertising which causes hype whereby consumers see several people have it and it's advertised on several TV stations so it must be great. Then they get home and realize what it lacks but can't return it as they've exceeded their buyers remorse policy (ie: over 30 minutes usage, etc). There's also those consumers such as myself who are long time Apple customers that have hope that Apple will actually take the iPhone development seriously so as to compete in the global cellphone market. It would be interesting to know how many customers ask to return their iPhones to carriers stating they were dissatisfied with it's missing features. Though unfortunately wireless carriers don't release these churn numbers to the public.
  • Reply 115 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The main reason it outsells other smartphones currently is due to smart advertising which causes hype whereby consumers see several people have it and it's advertised on several TV stations so it must be great. Then they get home and realize what it lacks but can't return it as they've exceeded their buyers remorse policy (ie: over 30 minutes usage, etc). There's also those consumers such as myself who are long time Apple customers that have hope that Apple will actually take the iPhone development seriously so as to compete in the global cellphone market. It would be interesting to know how many customers ask to return their iPhones to carriers stating they were dissatisfied with it's missing features. Though unfortunately wireless carriers don't release these churn numbers to the public.

That is some load of crap. You have 30 days to return it. If the buyers remorse was so great and so many were being returned then why did so many switch from 2G to 3G? Are you really saying that advertising is the main draw to the iPhone? That my use of the iPod and Safari is somehow just me being to daft that it's really the worst in its field, but I somehow can't tell because I saw an iPhone commercial?
  • Reply 116 of 233
    Quote:

The real issue is that Apple is not listening to their customers.

If Apple were not listening to customers the iPhone would not be the top selling phone in the US and the second best selling smartphone in the world.

Quote:

Consumers have 30 days to take the phone back if they don't like it, you are pulling this stuff out of your butt.
  • Reply 117 of 233
    Quote:

Consumers have 30 days to take the phone back if they don't like it, you are pulling this stuff out of your butt.

I said the same thing, but I just checked Apple's return policy page and they state that every item has a 14 day return policy. Though AT&T clearly states a 30 day return policy for the iPhone. I thought Apple changed theirs to 30 days for only the iPhone but I have yet to find info supporting my previous premise.
  • Reply 118 of 233
    Yeah I started to rethink that myself. But still it gives you time to return it if you find it does not suit your needs.

Its silly to assert that 7 million people were tricked into buying a phone that they did not like and could not return.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I said the same thing, but I just checked Apple's return policy page and they state that every item has a 14 day return policy. Though AT&T clearly states a 30 day return policy for the iPhone. I thought Apple changed theirs to 30 days for only the iPhone but I have yet to find info supporting my previous premise.

• Reply 119 of 233
    Quote:

Its silly to assert that 7 million people were tricked into buying a phone that they did not like and could not return.

Not only were we too stupid to return it in the alloted time, we were doubly stupid to be taken in by slick but empty advertising. \
  • Reply 120 of 233
    once you search an address and its found on the map. look to see if there is a little figure icon on the left of text. click on that icon and you will zoom in to see the street view.