Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2

Comments

• Reply 121 of 233
    how about the...

copy & damn paste?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 122 of 233
    In cover flow any new podcasts you download appear after your last album cover with the podcast cover. Kind of lame and useless, but new.
  • Reply 123 of 233
    The longer these Apple threads get the clearer the problems. But really does Apple need to be this hard headed?

Hey solipsism, The IT Crowd is on iTunes now...

I hope they launch the new season before summer, they were scheduled to started shooting last September so it is possible.
  • Reply 124 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is some load of crap. You have 30 days to return it. If the buyers remorse was so great and so many were being returned then why did so many switch from 2G to 3G? Are you really saying that advertising is the main draw to the iPhone? That my use of the iPod and Safari is somehow just me being to daft that it's really the worst in its field, but I somehow can't tell because I saw an iPhone commercial?

I had to register and respond to this. I actually switched from my 2G to 3G not because it was so much greater. I actually dreaded having to do it, because $200 just for 3G and aGPS just made no sense to me. Anyhow, I had to stop using my iphone 2G because though I dropped it and everything still worked fine, I was getting GSM buzz from 5-10 feet away from speakers. I suspect my drop somehow grounded the GSM antenna circuitry to the metal case!

Anyways, I've decided to sell my iPhone 3G and cancel the AT&T contract. Mainly because AT&T's network is shoddy out here and the iPhone currently still does way too many handovers between 3G and EDGE IF I get a signal to begin with. There are other benefits, I'm going to prepaid, I figured if I spent $200 on a locked and closed product (though wonderfully executed) to a network that makes it impossible to fulfill it's first and foremost function, A PHONE, then I surely can spend a $100-$300 to get an unlocked phone contract free, with better coverage. Just my take on it though.

It's like my parents used to tell me, don't put all your eggs in one basket. The iPhone is a great product, but my experience in electronics (9+ years) has taught me that the more you try to combine products into one, it's almost exponential the increase in failure rate, and decrease in single function operation. Jack of all trades, master of none.

And finally, internet addiction is not cool. Disconnect every once and a while and enjoy the scenery and people around you! READ A BOOK! Just my humble two cents. :P
  • Reply 125 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Awful quality. On top of being probably only 5-7 fps (ROFL) it only shoots a few seconds at a time.

This is where everyone else is up to.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMiXYqhiPs

I appreciate that in some aspects iphone is way ahead of everyone else but when it comes to this it is still trying to make a wheel go round whilst everyone else is building cars by the day.

If recording videos with decent quality is a top priority for your smartphone then you truly must live off of YouTube.

Sorry, but that's not a top priority. Apple will target the Enterprise more and more, while extending useful, productive functionality and then when there is time they will improve their video recording features.

I wouldn't expect the big change until QuickTime X is released and Leopard is in the wild for general consumption.
  • Reply 126 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.

Hmmmm, must be a PRO USE update then!

I mean, really, 1% is the user base for PRO's vs consumer right, so it must be for them/us.

Like for example, when the MACBOOK was not NVIDIA, it used to benchmark (starting) at 70%, then went to 120%, then 140%, then 170% and still didn't work well for games but then the PRO user found out you could run motion, so what did apple do? They released the X300 and it cut it all the way to 70%. Why? It only affected 1% of the market, so why bother? Well, apple wants their money and the PRO simple cannot use the MACBOOK.

Then, Apple releases the new MB and has great graphics - cool now MOTION, GAMES, OPENGL work awesome. Cool, Apple finally got it that the 1% that buys this doesn't really matter.

Oppps, wait, let's not include FIREWIRE (what audio/video pro's use, BUT OF COURSE) and screw the user again. This time though, mom, pop, dad, ma, and joe local guy are upset - they have cam corders and their iMovie won't work on a new machine and they are pissed.

Read Apple not selling as well as before (MACBOOKS), hopefully someday Apple will understand

a) If the pro has a MB, chances are they have a MBP or Mac Pro

b) 1% is not worth it to screw the general consumer - sorry but USB stinks, requires CPU overhead, is not as fast and USB 3 is a long way off, plus you can't daisy chain nor use it in target disc mode.

hmmm
  • Reply 127 of 233
    the best solution is to "jailbreak" th phone and install "whatever" we feel like. give apple the microsoft medication then only they will learn. there are lots of smart ones out there who can bypass apple's shenanigans.
  • Reply 128 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

So far so good with the new update. Responsiveness is better and it hasn't dropped calls like it used to (still to early to tell). Safari improvements sound promising.

The new features a little disappointing, but hopefully next update will be better. Copy/paste is a big one for me too. I'd also really like to see access to the file system. A sandboxed system which doesn't allow access to the system or app files, but let users open, save, and share files, such as documents, music or graphic files, etc between apps would be awesome.

This morning I was really excited about safari. It seemed to be running a lot smoother and didn't crash on sites it normally crashes on for me. But... it still does crash... out of about 2 hours of usage it crashed once. Then after about 3 and 1/2 hours more it crashed a second time. So it is improved I will give apple that. Less lag and less crashes, but the crashes still exist. This will mask the problem though so now it will never be fully fixed because it isn't bad enough for a mass amount of people to complain. I wish it just worked. Anyway I do like the new update I just need copy/paste. I will give it until tax season to get copy/paste. Or I am getting a new phone.
  • Reply 129 of 233
    Quote:

Yeah second that. Id like to see some actual samples. And not those 5pfs rubbish ones that dreamcatcher took.

Never seen video done with iPhone but you would think camera would be better - ever try to take a pix? The frame rate stinks - whole pix is chop chop choppy and you have to hold the camera like you are holding explosives just to get a good shot.

PS. Anyone ever notice when you hit the camera button it takes like 5 seconds to work then you get the STUPID pop up "CAMERA WANTS TO USE YOUR LOCATION" every time.

Is it better with update? Does the POP up still happen?
  • Reply 130 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

The main reason it outsells other smartphones currently is due to smart advertising which causes hype whereby consumers see several people have it and it's advertised on several TV stations so it must be great. Then they get home and realize what it lacks but can't return it as they've exceeded their buyers remorse policy (ie: over 30 minutes usage, etc). There's also those consumers such as myself who are long time Apple customers that have hope that Apple will actually take the iPhone development seriously so as to compete in the global cellphone market. It would be interesting to know how many customers ask to return their iPhones to carriers stating they were dissatisfied with it's missing features. Though unfortunately wireless carriers don't release these churn numbers to the public.

The iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction rating of any phone on the market. And this is according to numerous surveys.
  • Reply 131 of 233
    Quote:

We have had VGA 30fps since years ago with the N93. Now we even have the cheap mid range LG phones shooting at 720 by 480. There is really no excuse these days .

Apple just screwing/toying with us so we can all go out and re-buy the newer iPhone with Video when it comes out.

Meanwhile, one of the strongest (Nukes) countries in the world, leader in education (still us, or US, or USA), here in California, we're lucky to have 1300kbps over an iPhone. Meanwhile, in Japan, no DRM, streaming TV wherever they go, streaming DVR like home.

The USA is in the dark ages and pathetically, we pay for DARK AGES technology compared to other countries. We should be able to shuttle independently from place to place let alone stream line video, television on our phones. No, we are to busy complaining about images with text. How pathetic is that.
  • Reply 132 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Interesting...

Yep, now that anyone can have a full-blown computer in their pocket for 200 bucks, the very nature of computing critiques will change. The ivory tower has been sieged and toppled.

SEE COMMENT about other countries and streaming VIDEO, TELEVISION, MOVIES while we still lack ability to attach image to text let alone video. Sure there are some providers with streaming video, but no REAL TIME television, news, cable as in other countries and with network speeds faster than most users cable/dsl. Heck my connection is faster than 92% of the country (USA) compared to most, but our networks have a long, long, L-O-N-G way to go.
  • Reply 133 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

It's a 200 entrance fee....the total cost is much more.

And pretty much everyone is me me me, it's just in the end, most of the me me me's end up being we we we's.

Yeah, sort of like Apple and Steve Jobs - LOL.

I kid you not, I was reading this book on business, phychology and it had a list of ten things to watch out for in "Bad Bosses" - for example, one said, "Watch out if someone says something negative about the competition and mocks them" and then listed nine (9) more. I love Apple products, (THANK YOU IVES) but every single one of them in the ten (10) reminded me of Steve Jobs - how sad is that. He's so paranoid. Anyone see the UNIBODY KEYNOTE? He watched everyone as they passed them around, like he was high on a paranoid benzo buzz and thought someone was going to steal one, he actually said, "Okay, times up, pass them back, you can see them later" - yeah, okay Jobs, like I really want to steal one.

Meanwhile, now that they use the same body for the most part, this means CHEAPER to mass produce but do we see that at the pump (store), of course not, we are paying a $750 premium for Express slot, Firewire, 2 inches, no matte option, what a deal. ha ha and Apple gets to pocket more money while the geniuses pull their hair (so I am told 7+ genius friends) that many machines (new) are DOA, no target mode for MB, harder to get to parts. Most go out anyway unless it's a simple HD swap --

Funny thing, you know how they say you might lose your info when repairing? Do you know that all they do is try and mount and that's it? If it doesn't mount, that's it, no special machine, no special recovery software, nothing, it either mounts or doesn't - no ability to swap out main board (on hard drive (which is possible)), either MOUNT or NOT, then it's SORRY, YOUR HD can't be recovered. Genius? Hmmm, can't most people do that with a mini enclosure from FRY's electronics for $30 dollars? Let alone $120 to tell you, SORRY, no can do.
  • Reply 134 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

By now you should realize that Apple is starting to piss off many of it's loyal customers. iPhone!??

I really am starting to think that Steve is losing it. He controls the marketing and development team like a dictator, screws around with every computer so if you do anything creative (remember when CREATIVE used to mean, Logic, FCP, Shake and not iLife), that it has to have the word "pro" in it, even though the technology and price points exist for less expensive and pro features (since when did firewire be a PRO only feature - oh, when the computer (Macbook new), could run MOTION, SHAKE, FCP with latest GPU.

Really. Steve is losing it if he hasn't already. Windows 7 looks strong and PRO's are getting pissed and for what its worth, the largest Avid school (Avid used for feature film, television, trailers, commercials creation), in Burbank went from MACS to PC's a few years ago. Faster machines, more scalable, cheaper ram, and some PRO's are moving away from it every so slightly - this is why Steve focuses on coffee Joe and no longer the creative. Thing is, switchers are NOT loyal like lifer mac users and will abandon if Steve keeps doing things like no FIREWIRE in Macbooks, DRM content, DRM computers (can't watch movies on any monitor except Apple (new) with new macbook.

Steve is making a lot of mistakes and while many uninformed like to say HA HA at windows and blue screen, if you look at how many people, developers Microsoft has to deal with (3rd party), they do pretty good when you compare that with 3rd party iPhone) and Apple can't even get PUSH mail to work yet.

He's making a lot of mistakes and now with the consumer. If not careful and windows 7 comes out strong, these switchers will go back and Apple will be at 3% someday (again) and then the 1% PRO user base may make up 33% once again and dictate what Apple needs to do.

Sad that Apple went from trying to get the G5 up in speed to cutting firewire, sill iPhone updates and #1 priority, a glossy non graphic user iMac and iPods for the masses.

Shame.
  • Reply 135 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nutts View Post

The emoji work really well in email (and SMS) but seeminly only to and from other Softbank users - I couldn't get my AU and Docomo-using friends to see them, and nor can I see theirs still. Come on Apple/Softbank, sort it out, this is something *every* Japanese phone can do!

Anybody else had any luck with cross-network emoji?

By the way, the Apple documentation states that you're only allowed to send emoji if your SIM is a Softbank SIM: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2404

I'm just jealous you guys got your phones. I went in today and couldn't because my name on my Gaijin card doesn't exactly match my name on my credit card. Freakin' pain in the tukus. And there's no way I'm paying $800 up front for the phone.
  • Reply 136 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I really am starting to think that Steve is losing it. He controls the marketing and development team like a dictator, screws around with every computer so if you do anything creative (remember when CREATIVE used to mean, Logic, FCP, Shake and not iLife), that it has to have the word "pro" in it, even though the technology and price points exist for less expensive and pro features (since when did firewire be a PRO only feature - oh, when the computer (Macbook new), could run MOTION, SHAKE, FCP with latest GPU.

Really. Steve is losing it if he hasn't already. Windows 7 looks strong and PRO's are getting pissed and for what its worth, the largest Avid school (Avid used for feature film, television, trailers, commercials creation), in Burbank went from MACS to PC's a few years ago. Faster machines, more scalable, cheaper ram, and some PRO's are moving away from it every so slightly - this is why Steve focuses on coffee Joe and no longer the creative. Thing is, switchers are NOT loyal like lifer mac users and will abandon if Steve keeps doing things like no FIREWIRE in Macbooks, DRM content, DRM computers (can't watch movies on any monitor except Apple (new) with new macbook.

Steve is making a lot of mistakes and while many uninformed like to say HA HA at windows and blue screen, if you look at how many people, developers Microsoft has to deal with (3rd party), they do pretty good when you compare that with 3rd party iPhone) and Apple can't even get PUSH mail to work yet.

He's making a lot of mistakes and now with the consumer. If not careful and windows 7 comes out strong, these switchers will go back and Apple will be at 3% someday (again) and then the 1% PRO user base may make up 33% once again and dictate what Apple needs to do.

Sad that Apple went from trying to get the G5 up in speed to cutting firewire, sill iPhone updates and #1 priority, a glossy non graphic user iMac and iPods for the masses.

Shame.

Are you mentally retarded. Please take your medication or electric shock before posting.
  • Reply 137 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not only were we too stupid to return it in the alloted time, we were doubly stupid to be taken in by slick but empty advertising. \

The two of you apparently missed the posters point or you understood it but chose to divert the argument.

When someone makes a purchase with high expectations or 'emotional involvement' (aka fanboy) then the OP is correct, they will justify that purchase shortly after making it even if it's not what they expected or needed. If you don't think marketing has something to do with that psychology then you are too stupid.
  • Reply 138 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

If you bought an iPhone but it did not provide all of the features you really want with the assumption that Apple would include them later. If you feel pissed because those features have no come about, ultimately its your fault.

Although it was months ago that cut copy and paste was publicly acknowledged as being a 'feature' (I can't believe I even need to call it that) was on the list of things to do. But that was months and months ago, was street view really higher on that list? I mean really, defending them on this is futile, it's not really a feature, it should have been there out of the box or in an update soon after the original launch.
  • Reply 139 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

So far running well on my iPod Touch. Can't say that I notice any significant improvements in anything. But nothing seems to have been broken either.

My wife has noticed an improvement in the smoothness of Mail in Japanese, and she could read mail from one of her friends for the first time (can't recall the service she uses). A test mail of emoji to a friend who uses Docomo showed that they cannot (as of now) be sent to phones other than than SoftBank phones. Hopefully, that will come soon. The wife also noticed that two apps she had had trouble with now work fine.

I think a big part of this update was working out kinks in some of the smaller markets; someone above complained that Apple released a function or a very small number of users, but it is that group that has had to be very patient with various problems while the major kinks for most users were ironed out.

Still wish they would add a Japanese character recognition function; have a Japanese dictionary installed that uses the Chinese keyboard with pretty good success.

Street view is a nice addition, but where we live it will be some time before any images are added.

Finally, for the first time since we bought our phones several month ago, my wife's phone doesn't drop calls from mine, especially when she is at our home. It was so bad I gave up an would just send her email or call her on our land line. My phone didn't have the same problem if she called me, which was odd.

Overall, a 0.1 update and a good one, I think. A few of the bigger items of many people's wish-lists will likely come in the next major upgrade in January, and that will have a paid upgrade for Touch users.
  • Reply 140 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Although it was months ago that cut copy and paste was publicly acknowledged as being a 'feature' (I can't believe I even need to call it that) was on the list of things to do. But that was months and months ago, was street view really higher on that list? I mean really, defending them on this is futile, it's not really a feature, it should have been there out of the box or in an update soon after the original launch.

I agree that they should have anticipated the desire bettet, but your posts seems to assume that the time and complexity to create a systemwide copy/paste for touchscreen with one button is on par with coding Street View on Maps to parse the already available Street View on Google Maps.