Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 233
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

I am sure others will but the majority? Given the limited availability of Street View it's FAR less useful to the greater mass than any of the other features that have been requested.

The problem is perception. Street View is available in a LOT of cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View

I wouldn't be surprised if more than half the US population is covered by Street View, both their workplace and home, and Google is still adding cities. And it's not just US cities, scroll down the list and you'll see a lot of cities in other countries too. That list is expanding too. I have found it useful to know what to look for when I get there. I plan to also use it to check if there really is a legitimate, functioning business at that location as another point in fraud protection.
  • Reply 22 of 233
    Video recording still isn't there. I just feel that Apple should be clearing out the basic features before they start with the fluff. I'll play with Street View for a day or so, but that's it. And far as the emotioncons(sp)? WTF, really? OTA podcast will be cool and everyone could use a Safari fix, but this update just feel fluffy.
  • Reply 23 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I am sure others will but the majority? Given the limited availability of Street View it's FAR less useful to the greater mass than any of the other features that have been requested. The % values were obviously not backed by any real 'polling' data but still get my point across the same as 25% wanting street views and 75% wanting other features would have.

I wasn't stating that these features added bloat, I was stating that even though other products tend to give us a lot of crap we don't need and won't ever use at least they ALSO include the features people will use and do need.

Your reemsrk seems to imply that Apple added Street View in leu of other features. We don't know if Apple is working to perfect copy/paste on the iPhone or has no plans to add it at all. This may have been a simple addition to add the small icon that calls Google's Street View the way that Maps already calls Google Maps.

As for bugs fixes, I'm happy that this wasn't a feature update as v2 has been buggy from the start. I've been using my iPhone since 6am this morning and still have yet to crash Sarafi or even suffer a slow down of the keyboard. Fix first, then add to it.
  • Reply 24 of 233
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I installed the 2.2 update (US) on my iPhone 3G, and can't figure out how to activate the street view. What am I missing?

You have to drop pin and instead of touching the right arrow you have to touch the person icon on the right
  • Reply 25 of 233
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You have to drop pin and instead of taping the right arrow you have to tap the person icon on the right

So Helpful Its about time the did this release !

• Reply 26 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem is perception. Street View is available in a LOT of cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View

I wouldn't be surprised if half the US population is covered by Street View, both their workplace and home, and Google is still adding cities.

I used it last week to find the name of an apartment I lived at 10 years ago that changed names. I had no luck finding the info using a typical search but Street View allowed me to see the name clearly since I knew the street it was on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Video recording still isn't there. I just feel that Apple should be clearing out the basic features before they start with the fluff. I'll play with Street View for a day or so, but that's it. And far as the emotioncons(sp)? WTF, really? OTA podcast will be cool and everyone could use a Safari fix, but this update just feel fluffy.

I can't imagine that is a hard feature to add, so I have to assume that Apple has no nterest in adding it at this time. Maybe well get an Nvidia ULV GPU in next one that can record HQ video.
  • Reply 27 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You have to drop pin and instead of touching the right arrow you have to touch the person icon on the right

OK, so even though there is already a (red) pin on my search point, I have to drop another pin?

Whatever, OK, I dropped a (purple) pin. My person icon is on the left. When I tap it, nothing happens. Does that mean there is no street view of this location?

Edit: Never-mind, yes, it means there is no street view. (So much for downtown Ft. Lauderdale) I didn't realize my person icon was grayed out. Also, you don't have to dop a pin. The person icon seems to appear on a pin where street view is available.
  • Reply 28 of 233
    Quote:

Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.

People bash on Microsoft for bloatware and useless features all the time but at least out of the 100 useless things they add to their products the core elements are there that I need.

So how long do we wait for the 2.3 Update so we can find out nothing we want has been added?

It hasen't striked you that maybe, only maybe, these forums may not be totally representative for all users of Apples products?

As for these enhancements - I'm very happy. And I just think people asking for copy-paste and MMS can go somewhere else.
  • Reply 29 of 233
    I'm disappointed that the podcast download doesn't just sync the podcasts you are subscribed to in itunes. There is a podcast I regularly listen to that is not on itunes but I still subscribe to the RSS feed through itunes to make updates just as easy. Anyone have any idea of how to incorporate downloading non-itunes podcasts directly?

For some reason I was expecting this feature would behave like that of Mail and automatically transfer the appropriate server username/pass to be able to sync whatever feeds you are subscribed to.

I was able to do it with my jailbroken ipod touch but i restored it since I was having some stability issues that outweighed the direct download functionality.

Overall though I am very happy with this update. Everything seems much more stable so far!
  • Reply 30 of 233
    Quote:

Apple has also released a similar update for iPod touch users, however the accounting principles adopted by the company require that it charge for 'new feature' additions to the digital media player.

Either this is an assumption, or Apple is retarded.

They were perfectly happy to add a new feature, podcast downloads, to the itunes store app already on the device, but adding street view to the maps app already on the device requires payment for "accounting purposes"?

Besides that, i don't believe the accounting excuses anyway even for actual new features. I've poured more than a few hundred dollars into apps movies and music purchased directly through my ipod touch and my desktop (movies). This isn't any different from the ATV and yet they may end up charging me for an update some day.

As someone else noted, they need to fire their accountants.
  • Reply 31 of 233
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Is public transport and walking restricted to cities in the US?
  • Reply 32 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrsteveman1 View Post

Either this is an assumption, or Apple is retarded.

They were perfectly happy to add a new feature, podcast downloads, to the itunes store app already on the device, but adding street view to the maps app already on the device requires payment for "accounting purposes"?

Besides that, i don't believe the accounting excuses anyway even for actual new features. I've poured more than a few hundred dollars into apps movies and music purchased directly through my ipod touch and my desktop (movies). This isn't any different from the ATV and yet they may end up charging me for an update some day.

As someone else noted, they need to fire their accountants.

I agree that it is lame, but note that AppleTV is on the same GAAP accounting model that the iPhone uses.
  • Reply 33 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc View Post

I'm disappointed that the podcast download doesn't just sync the podcasts you are subscribed to in itunes. There is a podcast I regularly listen to that is not on itunes but I still subscribe to the RSS feed through itunes to make updates just as easy. Anyone have any idea of how to incorporate downloading non-itunes podcasts directly?

The best way to handle this is contact the podcaster and tell them to submit it to Apple. Apple is very liberal when it comes to podcast going through iTunes. Why wouldn't the podcaster want to expand his/her market place!?

Check out the video podcast call, "Tiki Bar"... it a hoot!!!
  • Reply 34 of 233
    Can anybody explain why Apple can offer free OS updates for their desktops and laptops without having to use GAAP accounting, but not the iPhone or iPod Touch? I don't see any difference whatsoever.
  • Reply 35 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Video is a hardware issue. You wont see video capture at all officially on this.
  • Reply 36 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Can anybody explain why Apple can offer free OS updates for their desktops and laptops without having to use GAAP accounting, but not the iPhone or iPod Touch? I don't see any difference whatsoever.

The iPhone and Touch get free updates--v2.2 is free--but feature updates cost Touch users money. The AppleTV and iPhone use GAAP so their updates have never cost. OS X updates rarely add new features to a point update, but that still doesn't mean it's not BS.
  • Reply 37 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Safari is a dream, again, finally!!! I typed this message on my elitist cellphone.

I second that! I am typing this messege i have typed numerous messeges on different forums that always crashed before and not only is it not crashing but it isnt lagging!!! Occassional little bit of key oard lag but hardly notice able. I typed this whole messege with my phone and no lag.... And i am in a phone call. No crash!
  • Reply 38 of 233
    how is it that iPhone that have been jailbroken can do video capture? It uses the same hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Video is a hardware issue. You wont see video capture at all officially on this.

• Reply 39 of 233
    What Dreamcatcher? Thats not really video mate its lots of pics stitched together like basic animation. Thats why the frame rate is slow and choppy.
  • Reply 40 of 233
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree that it is lame, but note that AppleTV is on the same GAAP accounting model that the iPhone uses.

Didn't Apple think they would have a bunch of annoyed customers when they chose this accounting model? I guess they we just setting the expectations because I am just happy they fixed the WPA problems on the iPod and not charge me.