Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2

Comments

• Reply 81 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quality just isn't the iPhone camera's forte anyway. I think iPhone video capture quality is pretty typical of quite a lot of camera phones and about par for a typical web video.

Qik is another app that does it.

Here's a sample:

http://qik.com/twit#v=567436

Certainly not what I'd expect from my HF100 or EX3, but the internet generally isn't known for quality media either.

Thats terrible quality. And you can forget any pre assumptions of phones not being able to shoot good video. Ok they are not up to camera standards but they never will be.......

.....however

We have had VGA 30fps since years ago with the N93. Now we even have the cheap mid range LG phones shooting at 720 by 480. There is really no excuse these days. Im not expecting Apple to suddenly activate it as it doesnt even have the capability for it but I will be expecting it in iphones sucessor. And by sucessor I dont mean a bigger capacity version of the existing iphone 3g but a proper follow up. The problem is in the US some aspects of mobile technology are way behind. Video is obviously one of them as is imaging.
  • Reply 82 of 233
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCC View Post

I wonder if now the New York Times App would stop crashing so often.

Not a crash for me after several minutes of updating and browsing, which is unusual. The app is also much more responsive. I wonder if we've all been running a debug version of the OS with 2.1.
  • Reply 83 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post

Ok. Here is 1. The one my friend has is different than this but still. The video recording is shown near the end of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCkF5IteHLU

Here, this one is better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L0cNPMSDXs

Awful quality. On top of being probably only 5-7 fps (ROFL) it only shoots a few seconds at a time.

This is where everyone else is up to.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMiXYqhiPs

I appreciate that in some aspects iphone is way ahead of everyone else but when it comes to this it is still trying to make a wheel go round whilst everyone else is building cars by the day.
  • Reply 84 of 233
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Interesting...

Gauging from the tone of comments on this board and other iPhone boards, I'd say the the iPhone has a younger userbase. (Can anyone confirm or deny this?) Amongst apple users, there have always been complaints that such and such wasn't fixed whenever a new release hits. But generally the reasoning behind the complaints was a bit less combative and slightly less me-me-me style. Not entirely so (or even close), but the type and magnitude of complaining was predictable to those with a few years of experience.

Given the price of the iPhone, forum membership is comprised of a different demographic and the culture has changed accordingly. I'll just have to come to grips with the reality of the new forum culture now that the price for entry is only $199. The iPod started the trend but it wasn't really a full mobile software platform. There were only a handful of features to rant about.

Yep, now that anyone can have a full-blown computer in their pocket for 200 bucks, the very nature of computing critiques will change. The ivory tower has been sieged and toppled.
  • Reply 85 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Awful quality. On top of being probably only 5-7 fps (ROFL) it only shoots a few seconds at a time.

This is where everyone else is up to.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMiXYqhiPs

I appreciate that in some aspects iphone is way ahead of everyone else but when it comes to this it is still trying to make a wheel go round whilst everyone else is building cars by the day.

The video you showed was the actual video data, not a video of a phone playing video. I've tried a jailbroken iPhone, and I recorded and played back the video, and it was impressive maybe not the best out there, but it was impressive. You have to see it, YouTube videos of cameras shooting other camera footage may not give you the best representation.
  • Reply 86 of 233
    It's a 200 entrance fee....the total cost is much more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Interesting...

Gauging from the tone of comments on this board and other iPhone boards, I'd say the the iPhone has a younger userbase. (Can anyone confirm or deny this?) Amongst apple users, there have always been complaints that such and such wasn't fixed whenever a new release hits. But generally the reasoning behind the complaints was a bit less combative and slightly less me-me-me style. Not entirely so (or even close), but the type and magnitude of complaining was predictable to those with a few years of experience.

Given the price of the iPhone, forum membership is comprised of a different demographic and the culture has changed accordingly. I'll just have to come to grips with the reality of the new forum culture now that the price for entry is only $199. The iPod started the trend but it wasn't really a full mobile software platform. There were only a handful of features to rant about.

Yep, now that anyone can have a full-blown computer in their pocket for 200 bucks, the very nature of computing critiques will change. The ivory tower has been sieged and toppled.

And pretty much everyone is me me me, it's just in the end, most of the me me me's end up being we we we's.
  • Reply 87 of 233
    Hello. Has anybody else had a problem updating the apps on their iPhone? When I click on the "App Store" icon and then select "Updates" it takes foreveve "Loading", and then says "Cannot Connect to Store." It willl not let you access them from within iTunes either.
  • Reply 88 of 233
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matthamil View Post

Hello. Has anybody else had a problem updating the apps on their iPhone? When I click on the "App Store" icon and then select "Updates" it takes foreveve "Loading", and then says "Cannot Connect to Store." It willl not let you access them from within iTunes either.

Me, too, ever since late Thursday night (I'm in U.S. Central time).
  • Reply 89 of 233
    I have this problem too.

Quote:

• Reply 90 of 233
    Quote:

Yes this has been a problem since version 2.1, I think. The only solution I know of is to erase your app from the iPhone (hold down the home button till the icons shiver, then click the "x"), then run the update. The problem with this solution is that you'd lose all your data such as high-score etc. for that application.

Edit: Oh... I see what you were saying, yes I'm having the same thing here too.
  • Reply 91 of 233
    Quote:

Same here
  • Reply 92 of 233
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

It's a 200 entrance fee....the total cost is much more.

And pretty much everyone is me me me, it's just in the end, most of the me me me's end up being we we we's.

Good point about the total cost (subscription etc).

As for "me-me-me", I think that changes drastically for age. Not for everyone, but for enough people that groups of 30 somethings interact differently than do teenagers or college students.

Going to college opens one's eyes to the breadth of types of people and how they live their lives. Being married causes people (or should cause people) to constantly weigh their own wishes along with those of another. Having kids forces people to shove aside their own personal preferences on a daily basis. Stylish clothing tends to give way to saxophone lessons. Getting fired from a real job makes people more attentive to the wishes of someone else, their boss. (No, i'm not married, don't have kids, and have never been fired... but the theory seems sound.)

Hopefully this doesn't sound like a criticism of any age group. It is fun to interact with people of all different ages. Nor do I consider the behavior of young people to be bad, just different.

To try and bring us back on-topic, consider this...

Computing has gone through a few demographic shifts in the handful of decades it has existed. For instance, most computer science majors used to be women. This was back when computing was seen as a clerical profession. Desktop computing changed things as did personal/home computers.

We're currently in the midst of another shift. Pocket computers, such as iPhones, will soon be found in the pockets of pretty much everyone, even elementary school kids. When updates like iPhone 2.2 are released, the bulk of commentery will be received from different people than in the past.

The demographics of the feedback loop have changed.
  • Reply 93 of 233
    Yeah, great. Big whoop. Where's copy and paste?
  • Reply 94 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Since you didn't bother to list the "features" that you claim 99.99% have been requesting, then your comment is full of shit.

Seriously? Like I have to list them? People are here are sick of hearing about them!

Copy Paste, MMS, Video Recording, Tethering, etc,etc,etc...

Look... I'm a developer myself... I understand things have to be stable and run well but there is also a balance that goes with it in offering features that the customer wants or needs. If I didn't add something that my customers had been complaining was missing for over a year (remember 3G owners people have been wanting this for much longer than just a few months) I would be losing customers left and right. Of course my company doesn't have people locked into a contract so they can jump ship whenever they please. It seems Apple feels they have all the time in the world to address what they want and then maybe when the customers start to stray away they can finally add what they have been wanting.
  • Reply 95 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Yes this has been a problem since version 2.1, I think. The only solution I know of is to erase your app from the iPhone (hold down the home button till the icons shiver, then click the "x"), then run the update. The problem with this solution is that you'd lose all your data such as high-score etc. for that application.

Edit: Oh... I see what you were saying, yes I'm having the same thing here too.

• Reply 96 of 233
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I really don't care myself. I bought an internet communications and media playback device. I didn't buy a video camera.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

We have had VGA 30fps since years ago with the N93. Now we even have the cheap mid range LG phones shooting at 720 by 480. There is really no excuse these days. Im not expecting Apple to suddenly activate it as it doesnt even have the capability for it but I will be expecting it in iphones sucessor. And by sucessor I dont mean a bigger capacity version of the existing iphone 3g but a proper follow up. The problem is in the US some aspects of mobile technology are way behind. Video is obviously one of them as is imaging.

• Reply 97 of 233
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It all depends. You make the assumption that Apple is absolutely refusing to offer these features. That may not be true. Since we are not a part of their development process we really don't know. Apple has said they are working on providing many of the features and we just have to be patient. Or use a different phone that does what you want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Look... I'm a developer myself... I understand things have to be stable and run well but there is also a balance that goes with it in offering features that the customer wants or needs. If I didn't add something that my customers had been complaining was missing for over a year (remember 3G owners people have been wanting this for much longer than just a few months) I would be losing customers left and right. Of course my company doesn't have people locked into a contract so they can jump ship whenever they please. It seems Apple feels they have all the time in the world to address what they want and then maybe when the customers start to stray away they can finally add what they have been wanting.

• Reply 98 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Yeah, great. Big whoop. Where's copy and paste?

Copy and paste is on your Storm. Go buy one of them and stop complaining.
  • Reply 99 of 233
    Well, just for a change in the general mood around here, I have to say that I'm quite satisfied with this update. I've just installed it and the whole interface seems smooth as it should have been since the beginning, namely Contacts and the main Settings page. No more jerky scrolling and waiting for seconds for something to happen. That alone makes it worth it in my opinion. As for the rest, I haven't tried it yet and I don't care that much. The iPhone is awesome just as it is.

As for Copy/Paste and MMS whinners, come on, give us a break... MMS is a ridiculously useless technology and while I ocasionally felt the need for copying a phone number from an SMS to the Phone app, I can perfectly live without it, at least till Apple figures out the absolute right way to make it work.

Enjoy your iPhone and stop complaining.
  • Reply 100 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btitusjr View Post

Copy and paste is on your Storm. Go buy one of them and stop complaining.

Oh right, we're supposed to just take whatever Apple gives us and say "oh, thank you, thank you.."

What, am I supposed to pretend I don't need copy and paste, even though I wish I had it once or twice a week? Am I supposed to think "Great, I've got street view now in google maps" even though I've never once needed it? If Apple doesn't know that people want something, then why would they add it?

I think the only responsible thing to do, if you care about a product, is to complain long and loud about the things that matter to you. For me, not having copy and paste is a big deal. Maybe its not to you... I don't understand what you're doing with your iPhone that it wouldn't be, but that's OK. You're happy with your phone as it is, and I'm glad for you.