Apple's next-gen Mac mini to get dual display support

Comments

• Reply 201 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I've heard that Grand Central will be able to use spare processor cycles of other Macs on the network. Like XGrid, but without the user doing anything. I can't find the link where I read that, though.

I could be wrong here, but I think you are thinking about Grand Central Dispatch which packetizes processor tasks like a network does to take better advantage of local processors, whether they are in the CPU or the GPU. I don't think it goes outside the box (literally) and uses network resources, unless a new version of XGrid meshes with this as well. I have not heard about that possibility.
  • Reply 202 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Some university did xgrid with a bunch of iMacs to build like the worlds second fastest supercomputer (at the time). This was some time ago, I forget who did it. Xgrid rocks!

There have been a few supercomputer clusters with Xserves. There was the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 640 node cluster but the best was the 1100 node (2200 2.3 GHz G5 processors) that Virgina Tech put together called System X. I don't know if xgrid was used, but remember it's only part of the server software, not the client software most people run. You could run it via command line on the client OS. The discontinued VisualHub could take advantage of it.
  • Reply 203 of 249
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Except that the latter [the Mac Mini] can do and be both.

And the former [the Apple TV] has evolved into an iTunes Digital Jukebox- great at providing a stream of unending income for Apple but not great at extending the consumer's personal media.

You do realize iTunes is (and has always been) more than the iTunes Store, yes? It stores the user's music library, movies and videos, TV shows, podcasts, and also serves as a connection with the user's iPhoto library. Apple TV stores and/or streams all of this content, whether it be bought from the iTunes Store, ripped from CDs and DVDs, or downloaded via P2P and torrent sites.

So what "personal media" are you talking about? Apple TV will even stream the user's MobileMe gallery, flickr gallery, and YouTube videos.

Also, Apple's small profits on music pay for maintenance of the iTunes Store. They're a hardware company, remember?
  • Reply 204 of 249
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,913member
    Quote:

Except that the latter can do and be both.

And the former has evolved into an iTunes Digital Jukebox- great at providing a stream of unending income for Apple but not great at extending the consumer's personal media.

They can do both to some extent, but the FrontRow software built into the MacMini is significantly different from the software built into AppleTV. There are more user friendly features in AppleTV.
  • Reply 205 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

They can do both to some extent, but the FrontRow software built into the MacMini is significantly different from the software built into AppleTV. There are more user friendly features in AppleTV.

There is a recent rumor the Apple will be selling the software that runs the Apple TV for use on a regular Mac, so you Mac Mini users can get the superior Apple TV user interface for your custom home media centers.
  • Reply 206 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

Physically yes, but apparently functionality is lost in that HDCP doesn't make it through based on feedback from people who have tried this. Not to mention audio is lost in translation and has to be cabled separately.

No, I haven't seen any feedback here that shows that HDCP doesn't "make it through." All you need is a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter and a DVI-to-HDMI adapter.

As for audio, I don't believe DVI supports audio either, so even if Mini DisplayPort supported audio, the DVI-to-HDMI adapter would kill it. What's your point? If you want HD sound with that HDTV, you'll hook up the Mini DisplayPort-equipped Mac directly to the sound system via a Toslink optical cable (or through a receiver).
  • Reply 207 of 249
    Quote:

Again AI states new iMac.

Does that mean a refresh or a whole new design? I pray for a new design.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

There will NOT be a new design for at least 3 years, get over it.

A total redesign is unlikely until they do something like remove the internal SuperDrive and even then, it'll likely just become thinner. But there's no reason Apple couldn't/wouldn't make minor cosmetic changes like extending the black plastic around the display over the entire front to hide the aluminum "chin", remove the black plastic in the back in favor of aluminum to imitate the look of the new 24" LED Cinema Display, and/or bundle a black-keyed aluminum keyboard.
  • Reply 208 of 249
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,913member
    I would take a black keyboard with backlit keys. I use my computer in the dark all the time and a backlit keyboard would be sweet! Yes, I can buy one from a 3rd party, but I'd rather have an Apple keyboard. Plus, I love the new keyboards they use now.
  • Reply 209 of 249
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

AppleTV does have some extra features such as direct access to the iTunes store, viewing online albums and such. But FrontRow can also do things that AppleTV can't. FrontRow will play your DVDs or video_TS files so you can watch your DVDs without having to convert them to another format and you have all your DVD's menus and extras. It will also play any QuickTime video file on your computer. AppleTV is restricted to a VERY limited set of formats and everything must be in iTunes. It's this last thing that makes the mini a far superior media server for my needs. I have lots of digital video from camcorders, digitized family films, etc. For some reason Apple doesn't support all QuickTime compatible formats on the AppleTV. If I remember correctly, they only support two video codec at specific resolutions and a handful of audio formats. I'd rather just play the files I have without having to convert them (lost time and quality) and without needing to put them all in iTunes. FrontRow allows that.

It would be nice if FrontRow had AppleTV's online capabilities, but I doubt Apple will ever add FR's video capabilities to AppleTV.
  • Reply 210 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

No, I haven't seen any feedback here that shows that HDCP doesn't "make it through." All you need is a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter and a DVI-to-HDMI adapter.

As for audio, I don't believe DVI supports audio either, so even if Mini DisplayPort supported audio, the DVI-to-HDMI adapter would kill it. What's your point? If you want HD sound with that HDTV, you'll hook up the Mini DisplayPort-equipped Mac directly to the sound system via a Toslink optical cable (or through a receiver).

I think the point was there is no mini displayport to HDMI cable just now, monoprice is working on one. Since displayport supports audio as featured by the speakers in Apple's 24' LED Cinema Display (not to mention the webcam) we can only hope the audio will be passed through this adapter cable to a HDMI connected TV so you could watch HD content from the Mac all over one cable. There can be timing differences when the audio travels a different path from the video, so we would like to avoid it.
  • Reply 211 of 249
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I think the point was there is no mini displayport to HDMI cable just now, monoprice is working on one. Since displayport supports audio as featured by the speakers in Apple's 24' LED Cinema Display (not to mention the webcam) we can only hope the audio will be passed through this adapter cable to a HDMI connected TV so you could watch HD content from the Mac all over one cable. There can be timing differences when the audio travels a different path from the video, so we would like to avoid it.

Actually, it's already been demonstrated that the audio to the new LED Cinema Display is via the USB connection, not the mDP. The mDP on the new laptops does not carry audio.

There are devices for DVI that will merge the DVI video signal with an audio signal and outputs both on HDMI, so you could conceivably do a similar thing with mDP. But at that point I'd probably just run an optical cable straight to my receiver.
  • Reply 212 of 249
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Physically yes, but apparently functionality is lost in that HDCP doesn't make it through based on feedback from people who have tried this. Not to mention audio is lost in translation and has to be cabled separately.

Is HDCP really lost? I wonder how that would be tested. If it is lost, I wonder if an HDMI adapter would actually change that.

Quote:

Unfortunately, LED Cinema Display doesn't work that way:

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...ma_Display.pdf

"Connect the USB cable to your computer to use the display’s built-in iSight camera,

speakers, microphone, and USB ports."
  • Reply 213 of 249
    Quote:

As the two posts above mine point out, Mini DisplayPort doesn't do audio. Pin-wise, full DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort are identical, but audio is optional. I don't see the big draw of having everything go through one cable when you're going to wind up with lackluster sound via the HDTV's built-in speakers; many people don't have receivers and many who do lack HDMI connections anyway.

I don't even know that full DisplayPort's audio supports Dolby Digital - according to wikipedia's article on DisplayPort, it doesn't support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio as HDMI does. I doubt DisplayPort would since it's license and royalty-free.

I've never heard of, nor experienced "timing differences" by using separate cables for audio and video.
  • Reply 214 of 249
    Quote:

I don't see the big draw of having everything go through one cable when you're going to wind up with lackluster sound via the HDTV's built-in speakers; many people don't have receivers and many who do lack HDMI connections anyway.

I don't think that makes sense given that DisplayPort is supposed to be a connection for the future, HDMI is too, one doesn't only look at the installed base as it is now. There are already plenty of inexpensive surround receivers that take HDMI. There are several home theater in a box type systems that have HDMI too. Won't those that don't have receivers be using the TV speakers? Why not save a cable there too? I'm not seeing a down side here.

Quote:

I don't even know that full DisplayPort's audio supports Dolby Digital - according to wikipedia's article on DisplayPort, it doesn't support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio as HDMI does. I doubt DisplayPort would since it's license and royalty-free.

I really don't know, but to move bitstream audio, it's just wiring and maybe a flag to identify the codec. To move audio decoded to bitstream, it's a completely moot point if the source can decode the audio.

Quote:

I've never heard of, nor experienced "timing differences" by using separate cables for audio and video.

It does sound specious. The cables can't induce a lag in milliseconds, if there is a lag like that, something is wrong with at least one of the devices connected to the cable. I don't know if using the same cable necessarily helps this, I can see that maybe it can help but it's no assurance.
  • Reply 215 of 249
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

I doubt that supporting TrueHD or DTS-HD MA is all that important. I still find that it's best to allow the local Blu-ray player to mix all audio signals (including system audible notification and more) and just send the data out as LPCM.

Current AVR don't manage THD or DTS streams any better than the player so why worry about sending the native signal?

As for DisplayPort I do not believe the audio functionality is turned on yet nor is the 1Mbps aux stream. Hopefully all currently shipping MDP Macs will be able add audio, daisychaining and more features with future updates.
  • Reply 216 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think that makes sense given that DisplayPort is supposed to be a connection for the future, HDMI is too, one doesn't only look at the installed base as it is now. There are already plenty of inexpensive surround receivers that take HDMI. There are several home theater in a box type systems that have HDMI too. Won't those that don't have receivers be using the TV speakers? Why not save a cable there too? I'm not seeing a down side here.

True, I shouldn't assume receiver penetration will remain the same, it's likely to increase. What I should have added was of those who do have HDMI-equipped receivers, very few hook up their computers to them. I don't see that changing much nor soon.

As for cheap receivers and those included in theater-in-a-box systems, while some have HDMI, most only have one, maybe two HDMI ports at most, which are likely to be quickly taken up by other components, like HD cable TV/DVR boxes, the HDTV itself, videogame consoles, and/or an Apple TV.
  • Reply 217 of 249
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

A magsafe power supply is designed to be easily removed from a laptop in case someone trips over the cable. It also unplugs itself very easily when using a macbook and the cable is snagged somewhere (usually on my couch) or the power cable is pulled to it's limit. It is great at what it does.

But for a desktop computer/media server it would be madness to include such a feature. If I have to move my Mini to get to a cable or something behind it I certainly do not want the risk that the cable is snagged somewhere and thus suddenly lose all power to the Mini. Whatever you think of the power supply on the current Mini is certainly takes more force to remove than a Magsafe.

Anyone who thinks that the new Mini might have a magsafe really is not thinking things through properly. It would be a stupid feature for Apple to include.

Agree wholeheartedly.

To suggest that the Mini or any other desktop (DT) computer, i.e., not a portable, laptop, notebook, etc., would, could or should be powered up via a 'magsafe' type connector is not thinking it through.

One should ask themselves why other DT computers have not incorporated the technology. Why would Apple incorporate it in the new Mini and not the new iMacs, Mac Pro, new LED LCD Display or Cinema Displays?

Other than deep fryers*, I am having trouble were magnetic power supplies are used routinely.

I have a Macbook Pro and with the Magsafe connectors, i.e., Magsafe Power Adapter and Magsafe Airline Adapter, I feel really safe being plugged in whether I am at home, in the university lab/libraries, on a plane or at clients. http://www.great-laptop-deals.com/ap...ro/magsafe.php

Having such connectors for an LP makes real sense as long as I haven't taken out the battery. No such luck on a DT. However, for those that aren't concerned about there computer crashing to the floor, there is always the MagStay Pro. http://thoughtout.biz/MagStayPRO.

Note that Apple could not make magnetic power adapter and call it a ""Magsafe" if it were 'tied' into the computer. The liabilities would be too great.

Portables were made to run on batteries. However, working on large databases or graphic files, playing games, downloading large files or upgrading software, being AC connected is sometimes necessary. Even if I am not, I can still switch to a new battery if I have to and not lose anything. Couldn't do that on a Mini.

*http://ezinearticles.com/?Have-You-E...rd?&id=1208954
  • Reply 218 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I doubt that supporting TrueHD or DTS-HD MA is all that important. I still find that it's best to allow the local Blu-ray player to mix all audio signals (including system audible notification and more) and just send the data out as LPCM.

Who said anything about Blu-ray? I was talking about DisplayPort and questioned if it supported Dolby Digital.

Quote:

Current AVR don't manage THD or DTS streams any better than the player so why worry about sending the native signal?

Doesn't sound like we're talking about the same thing.

Quote:

As for DisplayPort I do not believe the audio functionality is turned on yet nor is the 1Mbps aux stream. Hopefully all currently shipping MDP Macs will be able add audio, daisychaining and more features with future updates.

But if audio were turned on, would it support Dolby Digital? That's my question. If it doesn't, I don't see any real reason for full DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort to enable audio. This is why I believe Apple has implied DisplayPort is for computers, HDMI is for TVs (and things that connect to them, like their HDMI-equipped Apple TV). For those who want to connect their computers to their HDTVs, they can use DisplayPort-to-DVI-to-HDMI for video and fiber optic for audio.
  • Reply 219 of 249
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    5 years from now DisplayPort will have eradicated HDMI on most CE devices. I really do not see a reason for the distinction.

HDMI is going to struggle to keep up with 480hz TV (like LG's TruMotion) and larger panels. We may as well start replacing HDMI right now.
  • Reply 220 of 249
    Quote:

5 years from now DisplayPort will have eradicated HDMI on most CE devices. I really do not see a reason for the distinction.

HDMI is going to struggle to keep up with 480hz TV (like LG's TruMotion) and larger panels. We may as well start replacing HDMI right now.

As I've seen people say before, HDMI was designed for consumer electronics, DisplayPort was designed for computers, though there is some overlap in utility.

I doubt HDMI will have any problem keeping up with data rates. The latest HDMI is about as fast as the latest DisplayPort. There is more than enough headroom in both right now, and if there is a need for more, I'm pretty sure higher data rate modes will be added to both standards, not just one.

Besides, I'm skeptical that a 480Hz refresh rate on a display would be of any value.