Apple's next-gen Mac mini to get dual display support

Comments

• Reply 221 of 249
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

As I've seen people say before, HDMI was designed for consumer electronics, DisplayPort was designed for computers, though there is some overlap in utility.

I doubt HDMI will have any problem keeping up with data rates. The latest HDMI is about as fast as the latest DisplayPort.

I'm skeptical that a 480Hz refresh rate on a display would be of any value anyways.

Seach for a Microsoft presentation on DisplayPort delivered at WinHec 2008. It's very informative. HDMI is running out of bandwidth and will not scale as fast as DisplayPort. The problem with 120hz LCD and movement towards 240hz and 480hz LCD will only exacerbate the issue.

I know that VESA is promoting DP as a computer only connection but let's read the tea leaves here. It supports 8 channels of LPCM audio (just like HDMI) and it has an aux channel that can run a variety of signals but the kicker is that it's royalty free.

If I'm a CE company I'm looking at saving the royalty fees and to move to DP once they've got the proper audio support and licensing (Dolby, DTS)

The lines of delineation between HDMI have been blurred once they started putting HDMI ports on GPU and computers.
  • Reply 222 of 249
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I know that VESA is promoting DP as a computer only connection but let's read the tea leaves here. It supports 8 channels of LPCM audio (just like HDMI) and it has an aux channel that can run a variety of signals but the kicker is that it's royalty free.

If I'm a CE company I'm looking at saving the royalty fees and to move to DP once they've got the proper audio support and licensing (Dolby, DTS)

That sounds like a reasonable progression in a free market. Save money by not including the port on, say, a Blu-ray player, then market this new connection as the "latest and greatest", then advertise that it's backwards compatible with HDMI and DVI to end fears of incompatibility, then also make money by selling an adapter for those with older systems.

Many people have complained about DP, but this is the best option I can remember for having a future-forward A/V out tech that works for both PCs and Home Entertainment systems.
  • Reply 223 of 249
    LCD today all have a natural blurring of the picture.

LG and Samsung are combating this via faster refresh rates.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37446/97/

http://mindvisiontheater.wordpress.c...dia-expo-2008/

http://gizmodo.com/5120464/lg-to-sho...display-at-ces

Whether we like it or not these sets will become the new higher end standards and I believe that HDMI is going to run out of juice.
  • Reply 224 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That sounds like a reasonable progression in a free market. Save money by not including the port on, say, a Blu-ray player, then market this new connection as the "latest and greatest", then advertise that it's backwards compatible with HDMI and DVI to end fears of incompatibility, then also make money by selling an adapter for those with older systems.

Many people have complained about DP, but this is the best option I can remember for having a future-forward A/V out tech that works for both PCs and Home Entertainment systems.

Exactly. I don't see the need for two types of cables regardless of CE or computer application. DisplayPort 1.2 is due this year and it's going to increase bandwidth yet again and I believe Apple's MDP hardware will be able to take advantage.

HDMI was a decent bridge connection but DisplayPort beat out UDI and will usurp HDMI rather quickly (primarily based on it's DP++ support for DVI/HDMI/VGA)

%60 bandwidth delivers HD video easily over 45ft cables.
  • Reply 225 of 249
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Seach for a Microsoft presentation on DisplayPort delivered at WinHec 2008. It's very informative.

I've found it, but have no way to play it.

Quote:

HDMI is running out of bandwidth and will not scale as fast as DisplayPort. The problem with 120hz LCD and movement towards 240hz and 480hz LCD will only exacerbate the issue.

I don't see 480Hz to be a problem, I see no reason to see 480Hz to be anything other than marketing penis-waving, kind of like saying we all need 512kHz sampling rate audio playback for entertainment.

It's hard enough finding 1080p60 recording equipment or media, and I'm sceptical that 120Hz output is needed as a transmission media. A 120Hz panel is good for playing 24, 40 and 60Hz data streams, but there's no need to send those along the cable as a 120Hz stream.

Not only that, on video cameras, doubling the frame rate means halving the shutter time. To get the same output levels means doubling the amplification, which gets more noise, and more dynamic range lets you see that noise in better detail.

Quote:

The licensing fees I've seen are peanuts compared to the cost of operating a CE company.
  • Reply 226 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

True, I shouldn't assume receiver penetration will remain the same, it's likely to increase. What I should have added was of those who do have HDMI-equipped receivers, very few hook up their computers to them. I don't see that changing much nor soon.

As for cheap receivers and those included in theater-in-a-box systems, while some have HDMI, most only have one, maybe two HDMI ports at most, which are likely to be quickly taken up by other components, like HD cable TV/DVR boxes, the HDTV itself, videogame consoles, and/or an Apple TV.

HDMI equipped receivers are becoming more common and is believe it or not the smart way to connect HD media players to your system. I have one, it certainly is not a cheap receiver either and has two HDMI's in. IT makes life soooo much easier when messing around trying to get the TV / receiver on the right channel for what you are watching because picture and sound are on the same input. i.e. it is wife/girlfriend friendly - probably the most important consideration of any media set-up.

Some earlier said that Mini Display port to HDMI will have HDCP and audio pass-thru. As long as that is the case then I am happy.
  • Reply 227 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

HDMI equipped receivers are becoming more common and is believe it or not the smart way to connect HD media players to your system.

I don't think anyone would argue with that it is the best way to connect your HES, at this point.

Quote:

Some earlier said that Mini Display port to HDMI will have HDCP and audio pass-thru. As long as that is the case then I am happy.

DP has included support for HDCP and can push to a HDMI-enabled (at least for video) monitor. HDMI will continue to reign in HES until A/V over DP can get up and running, then I think we'll see a move to DP.
  • Reply 228 of 249
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

HDMI equipped receivers are becoming more common and is believe it or not the smart way to connect HD media players to your system.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue that.

Quote:

I have one, it certainly is not a cheap receiver either and has two HDMI's in. IT makes life soooo much easier when messing around trying to get the TV / receiver on the right channel for what you are watching because picture and sound are on the same input. i.e. it is wife/girlfriend friendly - probably the most important consideration of any media set-up.

But of course, you don't need HDMI to get audio on the same channel as video. You just hook up separate audio and video cables to corresponding inputs.
  • Reply 229 of 249
    Quote:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue that.

But of course, you don't need HDMI to get audio on the same channel as video. You just hook up separate audio and video cables to corresponding inputs.

Not really the same.

The Video will be going into the TV, the audio through the receiver. What I am talking about sends everything through the receiver and thus only a single HDMI into the TV (very wife friendly). I can have three A/V devices running into my receiver and all can be watched on the same TV HDMI channel. Maybe nothing major to some people but it is a much more elegant solution.
  • Reply 230 of 249
    Quote:

Maybe nothing major to some people but it is a much more elegant solution.

Yeah it is!

This mess of wire solution: http://www.prillaman.net/image/1070rear.jpg

Or this simple solution: http://z.about.com/d/hometheater/1/0...0hdmi2-800.jpg
  • Reply 231 of 249
    Quote:

Not really the same.

The Video will be going into the TV, the audio through the receiver. What I am talking about sends everything through the receiver and thus only a single HDMI into the TV (very wife friendly). I can have three A/V devices running into my receiver and all can be watched on the same TV HDMI channel. Maybe nothing major to some people but it is a much more elegant solution.

The end result, i.e., video and audio on the same channel, is the same, which is all I meant.

I know about the type of receiver you're talking about because I had the fortune of picking out and setting one up with my cousin. All devices plug in, one HDMI goes out to their HDTV. Very nice.

However, when you run out of HDMI inputs on the reciever - I made sure my cousin's had 5 or 6 - OR when you have to plug in a non-HDMI device that uses component or composite cables with separate digital optic audio, you have to connect them up so audio and video for that device are on the same channel. What's good about a single HDMI output receiver like you and my cousin have is you don't then have to route male-to-male composite or component cables from the receiver to the TV.

So HDMI's audio is really only useful for devices (especially HDMI-equipped devices) going into a receiver that's connected to a surround sound system. HDMI's audio going into the TV itself is kind of worthless, unless you want mediocre sound from the HDTV's built-in speakers.
  • Reply 232 of 249
    Single connection AV for the win.

My AVR doesn't support HDMI but you can bet ur sweet arse my next one will have at least 4 HDMI inputs and I may spring for fancy upscaling on those HDMI and analog inputs as well.

Hell a mini with MDP--->HDMI into an AVR sounds pretty damn good. If I can't get Apple TV software I'll run Boxee dammit.

I'm not really a fan of the mini dvi and MDP. It's redundant really unless current gen MDP macs will NEVER be able to daisychain monitors.
  • Reply 233 of 249
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

You do realize iTunes is (and has always been) more than the iTunes Store, yes? It stores the user's music library, movies and videos, TV shows, podcasts, and also serves as a connection with the user's iPhoto library. Apple TV stores and/or streams all of this content, whether it be bought from the iTunes Store, ripped from CDs and DVDs, or downloaded via P2P and torrent sites.

So what "personal media" are you talking about? Apple TV will even stream the user's MobileMe gallery, flickr gallery, and YouTube videos.

Also, Apple's small profits on music pay for maintenance of the iTunes Store. They're a hardware company, remember?

1.) You cannot search your music files on the ATV's menus. "Search" is to buy in iTunes only.

You can search on an iPhone or iPod Touch but alas they do not come in the box.

2.) You cannot rip your DVDs like you can your CDs in iTunes. You can only either buy the movie in Itunes or go through the fucocktun procedure using Handbrake. So much for your personal DVD files.

3.) Scrolling your music files is harder then using a first gen iPod- enough said.

The Mac Mini alleviates all of the above problems.
  • Reply 234 of 249
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

A total redesign is unlikely until they do something like remove the internal SuperDrive and even then, it'll likely just become thinner. But there's no reason Apple couldn't/wouldn't make minor cosmetic changes like extending the black plastic around the display over the entire front to hide the aluminum "chin", remove the black plastic in the back in favor of aluminum to imitate the look of the new 24" LED Cinema Display, and/or bundle a black-keyed aluminum keyboard.

That would not hide the chin - only give it a black chin.

New design please- IT"S 4 Years OLD already.
  • Reply 235 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That would not hide the chin - only give it a black chin.

Ok, it would better hide the chin, i.e., make it less obvious.

Quote:

New design please- IT"S 4 Years OLD already.

No, it's not. The white iMacs that came before had boxy cases. The aluminum iMacs have tapered backs.

It's like saying the new aluminum MacBooks/Pros are in need of a redesign.
  • Reply 236 of 249
    Quote:

1.) You cannot search your music files on the ATV's menus. "Search" is to buy in iTunes only

You can search on an iPhone or iPod Touch but alas they do not come in the box.

That's a valid complaint that I have a hard to believing is only possible with a paired iPhone/iPod touch. Hopefully that will be fixed in the future, but that's only one aspect and since, as you say, an iPhone/iPod touch isn't included in the box, I doubt many would want to deal with scrolling from letter to letter with the included remote if they could search their own content.

Quote:

2.) You cannot rip your DVDs like you can your CDs in iTunes. You can only either buy the movie in Itunes or go through the fucocktun procedure using Handbrake. So much for your personal DVD files.

That's not Apple's problem and it doesn't make much sense as a complaint because...the Apple TV doesn't have a DVD player. Most people already have dedicated DVD players, often multiple thanks to them being built into most game consoles.

Also, one of the big selling points of Apple TV is renting movies you don't already own, which you can't do via Front Row.

Quote:

3.) Scrolling your music files is harder then using a first gen iPod- enough said.

How is scrolling through music on the Mac mini any easier?
  • Reply 237 of 249
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    I would not put it past Apple to introduce yet ANOTHER display connector sometime next year. Maybe they will call Micro DisplayPort. And the year after that, they will introduce Nano DisplayPort. While it would have been more sensible to make the absolute smallest possible connector for generations to come, the idea of constantly making a new connector every year would guarantee Apple a constant revenue stream for adapters.
  • Reply 238 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

I would not put it past Apple to introduce yet ANOTHER display connector sometime next year. Maybe they will call Micro DisplayPort. And the year after that, they will introduce Nano DisplayPort.

That seems pointless. They've had dual-link DVI for years and only developed variations when necessary - mini-DVI for smaller laptops and only this past year did they introduce micro DVI for the ultra compact MacBook Air. Now all share Mini DisplayPort, which is smaller than all of those proprietary miniaturized versions of DVI. The fact even their Cinema Display uses Mini DisplayPort indicates the standard is here for the long haul.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

While it would have been more sensible to make the absolute smallest possible connector for generations to come, the idea of constantly making a new connector every year would guarantee Apple a constant revenue stream for adapters.

They essentially did with mini-DVI. It just couldn't quite fit in the Air so they had to make a special one for that. Most people never hook up their laptop to an external display or projector, so Apple likely makes very little on adapters.

If other companies adopt Apple's mobile-friendly, royalty free, pin-identical version of the DisplayPort spec, adapters will be a thing of the past, at least until the next generation port standard comes along.
  • Reply 239 of 249
    Quote:

That's not Apple's problem and it doesn't make much sense as a complaint because...the Apple TV doesn't have a DVD player. Most people already have dedicated DVD players, often multiple thanks to them being built into most game consoles.

Also, one of the big selling points of Apple TV is renting movies you don't already own, which you can't do via Front Row.

It's true that if iTunes could encode DVDs as simply as it encoded CDs, that life would be easier. It's a pity that Apple can't find a way to do it - but I think the studios have no interest in the slightest.

I certainly hope that Apple bridges the AppleTV & MacMini in some way this week.
  • Reply 240 of 249
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

It's true that if iTunes could encode DVDs as simply as it encoded CDs, that life would be easier. It's a pity that Apple can't find a way to do it - but I think the studios have no interest in the slightest.

I'm not sure this problem is due to a lack of trying on Apple's part either, unfortunately. Remember last year's Macworld where they did a little announcement about the Family Guy: Blue Harvest DVD that came with a digital iTunes copy?

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/01/15fox.html

I'm guessing we haven't heard more studios doing this because they're glad to charge us twice: once for the DVD we already own and again on the iTunes Store. \