iPhone 3.0 adds Copy & Paste, MMS, global Spotlight search

Comments

• Reply 21 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

Man I'm so pissed that I can't do MMS with my 2G iPhone

I'll wait for the next one in June (hoping that there will be one)

The software update will be available for all current iPhone and iTouches, free for iphone users, 9.95 for the iTouches, with certain features not available to first generation iPhones (probably anything related to GPS).
  • Reply 22 of 266
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckipel View Post

Any word of when the 3.0 firmware is going to be released?

This summer. Free for iPhone 3G owner, $9.95 for iPod Touches...
  • Reply 23 of 266
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody needs native iPhone applications. Web apps are really really SWEET.

Apple should not support copy and paste on the iPhone. Nobody needs copy and paste on the iPhone..

Apple should not support MMS on the iPhone. Nobody needs MMS on the iPhone.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple will never make a multibutton mouse.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Hahahahaha, so true, Haggar, so true.

I'm so tired of the "Apple didn't put it in, so we don't NEED it" rationalizations. It's so very fanboi, and it gets blown up for the lunacy it is on days like today.

• Reply 24 of 266
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    For those of you who like to give your carrier extra money for no reason, you have MMS.
  • Reply 25 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

Where does it say that this only works with 3G. The 3.0 platform will be available to all iPhones free of charge and to iTouch for $9.95. SOME of the new features will only work on the 3G, but I would suspect that is limited to anything requiring GPS.......?

From Engadget:

"What about the rest of us? iPhone OS 3.0 will be available this Summer. A free update to all of our iPhone 3G customers. And it works on the original iPhone. Now the hardware has changed between these two devices. For instance, A2DP and MMS won't be available on the iPhone 1st gen. It's also available for the iPod touch... for $9.95."

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

• Reply 26 of 266
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

I'm going to find it fascinating and interesting seeing how many people who claim that MMS is useless now will b*tch and moan that they can't do it on their original iPhone.

Continuing... I'll say the nay-sayers of copy and paste now will be singing it's praises.

Guess what people? IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THERE SINCE THE START.

Creating a whole new platform and UI takes time. It is understandable that some features were not ready or not accessible. You can't just throw more developers at the problem, some things take time.

That said, Cut and Paste should have been higher up the list of important things to do.
  • Reply 27 of 266
    All the new features look fantastic. Im particularly looking forward to making my iphone a credit card scanning machine...

but come on, no video recording capability AGAIN?!!??!!? what the hell is going on? I can understand not allowing to send video that hogs bandwidth, but what the hell are they doing limiting this feature after 2.5 years?
  • Reply 28 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

For those of you who like to give your carrier extra money for no reason, you have MMS.

There, there Teno. It'll be okay.

• Reply 29 of 266
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Before anybody else makes anymore idiot comments, perhaps the feed Macworld is putting out now will educate your syphilitic brains.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1394...tml?lsrc=top_1
  • Reply 30 of 266
    I feel so let down after that
  • Reply 31 of 266
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Hahahahaha, so true, Haggar, so true.

I'm so tired of the "Apple didn't put it in, so we don't NEED it" rationalizations. It's so very fanboi, and it gets blown up for the lunacy it is on days like today.

Read Amorph's reply, he gets it. It is not 'needed' - there are other perfectly viable routes for sending the same data to the same devices. What it is, for those who want it, is merely convenient. And they will pay something on the order of 8200x the data rate for the privilege. Yes, that's eight-thousand two-hundred times as much. I'd rather not. In fact, I outright resent being forced to pay for some drunken idiot's 4am MMS to me because "d00d this r awsum!" and he just couldn't control himself. And he got me by mistake because of a misdial. If the carriers let me shut it off, I wouldn't have a problem with other people opting in, but I can't opt out of the extortion racket.

That $5 a month you're paying is simply extortion. I mean, why not just send me the $5 bucks instead?

It's not being a fanboi, it's realizing when you're being mugged over a barrel for no reason. I don't care *who* made the phone, SMS and MMS are pure extortion.
  • Reply 32 of 266
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    SPOTLIGHT! Awesome! Even if I have to put all my memos/documents etc into 1 giant Notes folder, will still be a huge step up from today.
  • Reply 33 of 266
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MMS is ridiculous, but there it is. As for copy/cut/paste, I never considered it THAT important but it'll be nice to have. Now they need to double the RAM onboard the iPhone tho'.
  • Reply 34 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

If enough of their users scream MMS! MMS! they'll include it regardless of the merits.

That could be said about any feature the iPhone has, frankly.

Fact is, ppl wanted it, it's in, and everybody's happy. 'Cept those who drank the "mobile email is going to take over 100% completely in a year or so" kool-aid, and can't handle that MMS is going to be around for awhile. And popular too.

The Apple Community?- The only place crazy enough where some ppl get mad because a popular, ubiquitous mainstream feature was included, instead of excluded.

• Reply 35 of 266
    It has been cloudy for about a week here in Houston, and the forecast has been for more cloudiness for days. However, once Apple announced that cut-and-paste will be on the iPhone, the clouds parted and the sun shone!

Conclusion: Cut-and-paste on the iPhone makes God happy!
  • Reply 36 of 266
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Now that SJ has OK'd MMS I guess all the losers on here that have called me a troll and said noboody need MMS will do an about face and now think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
  • Reply 37 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Read Amorph's reply, he gets it. It is not 'needed' - there are other perfectly viable routes for sending the same data to the same devices. What it is, for those who want it, is merely convenient.

And there you have it. And that was good enough for many ppl to want it, and for Apple to include it.

Don't like it? Take it up with them, I guess.

• Reply 38 of 266
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotmarkb View Post

I feel so let down after that

Too much anal raping??

• Reply 39 of 266
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmson View Post

What about selling iPhone in Iceland? ...

I think the complete collapse of Iceland's economy and banking system has more to do with this than Apple's choice of sales partners.

Is Iceland even a country anymore?
  • Reply 40 of 266
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now that SJ has OK'd MMS I guess all the losers on here that have called me a troll and said noboody need MMS will do an about face a think it's now the best thing since sliced bread.

*all the MMS users spike the football in the end-zone and do the funky chicken* 8)