TomTom iPhone app; iPhone magnetometer; Boot Camp in 10.6

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 126
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

    Meanwhile, the rumor site on Friday said its turned up evidence that a new version of Apple's Boot Camp utility being tested as part of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard includes Windows HFS+ drivers, which let Windows installations read Mac OS X HFS+ formatted partitions.



    This added support will make it more convenient for Snow Leopard users to swap files between their Windows and Mac partitions, according to the report.



    Users of Mac OS X 10.5 Snow Leopard are afforded this option, but only through third-party add-ons such as Mediafour's MacDrive





    Mac OS 10.6 will include a copy of free, open source HFS Explorer 0.21 which allows Windows to read the HFS, HFS+ and HFSX formats used by Mac OS X. HFS Explorer can also read most .dmg disk images created on a Mac.



    Get a free copy now at http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html





  • Reply 22 of 126
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Next step "Sky Caddy" app for GPS on the Golf course!



    You heard it here first!



    Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Reply 23 of 126
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post


    I do believe I had read that - as i have an original iPhone I have the recessed jack - so far the standard jack and the GPS chip and 3G have not been enough for me to make the jump - since I have an iPod, a TomTom, and a 3G notebook card - but I am hopeful that the next hardware bump of the phone will alone me to have one device - iPhone - instead of 3 - iPod, iPhone, TomTom - would simply things - especially when I have to fly somewhere - as it is kind of a pain to take all that stuff with me - especially if I want to use my BOSE noise canceling headphones on the plane.



    Plus all the chargers for everything - I would only need to carry a USB iPhone connector plus maybe a USB to 12v car adapter (one with an airline option would be nice too).



    Don't they have adapters for the jack for like $5?
  • Reply 24 of 126
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post


    Isn't turn-by-turn nav one of those things best left to dedicated devices and automobile dashboards?



    If you're on a trip long enough to require turn-by-turn directions, aren't you probably going to want to use your phone as, well, a phone? Check email or text messages at the stop light? Listen to music or audiobooks along the way?



    Yeah, I guess they should make a device that isn't permanently affixed to the dash. Someone should tell Apple to change their plans
  • Reply 25 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Don't they have adapters for the jack for like $5?



    I've seen the adpater for under a $1 online. If you used a headphone that didn't have such a thick plastic cap or you shaved the tip of the plastic cap you could get it there, which would save the expense.
  • Reply 26 of 126
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I've seen the adpater for under a $1 online. If you used a headphone that didn't have such a thick plastic cap or you shaved the tip of the plastic cap you could get it there, which would save the expense.



    Exactly. I can't see why someone with a first generation iPhone would still be complaining about the recessed jack limiting functionality. By now you should have the extender and be all set.
  • Reply 27 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Exactly. I can't see why someone with a first generation iPhone would still be complaining about the recessed jack limiting functionality. By now you should have the extender and be all set.



    It's funny, I heard more complaining about the iPhone audio jack, despite most people using Apple's supplied headphones, than I have ever heard about HTC's common use of a mini-USB compatible ExtUSB jack, like on the Android T-Mobile G1/HTC Dream. These forums were bombarded by complainers from Apple switching their entire line to the open and better DisplayPort standard, so I can't imagine what would happen if Apple used a wonky audio jack setup like that.
  • Reply 28 of 126
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    The more integration between Mac & Windows, the closer we get to the first Windows virus to screw Mac users.
  • Reply 29 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post


    The more integration between Mac & Windows, the closer we get to the first Windows virus to screw Mac users.



    That does seem like a valid reason why Apple wouldn't want to allow native write capabilities to HFS+ from Windows.
  • Reply 30 of 126
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    These forums were bombarded by complainers from Apple switching their entire line to the open and better DisplayPort standard, so I can't imagine what would happen if Apple used a proprietary audio jack setup.



    Apple does not use the "open and better DisplayPort standard", they use a proprietary and absolutely non-standard Mini DisplayPort abomination. This thing has only one benefit: size. Other than that it only has a few problems:

    1. There is only one single display on the entire market that supports it without pricey adapters.

    2. There are not even Mini-DP to DP adapters available.

    3. You can no longer use third party 30" displays, as the Mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter does only reliably support the 30" ACD.

    4. Even if using Apple's 30" ACD, you get occasional noise (dancing red dots), reports point to cable length and connector fit issues (people could solve the problem by adding a costly dual-link DVI repeater to the chain)... so: adding a 100 USD adapter plus a 200 USD repeater will get you the same quality that used to be included for free.

    5. They do not even have audio on the damn thing (and that is part of the standard). E.g. hooking up to a flat-screen TV requires as little as: a. Mini-DP to DVI adapter, b. DVI to HDMI cable, c. mini (3.5mm) stereo-jack to Toslink adapter, d. Toslink cable ... a single standard HDMI or DP output would have solved all of that. Most displays today have HDMI in and HDMI can easily support the same resolutions; the Mini-HDMI port is a standard and it does work, Mini-DP does not ? it is not much bigger either. Apple keeps making devices thinner while adding more and more adapters and cables to our bags.

    6. You can no longer extract a composite or S-Video signal (both are garbage, I know, but there are still cases in which you need them).



    These people are not complainers, they have a very valid point. Apple screwed this up royally.
  • Reply 31 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


    Apple does not use the "open and better DisplayPort standard", they use a proprietary and absolutely non-standard Mini DisplayPort abomination. This thing has only one benefit: size. Other than that it only has a few problems:

    1. There is only one single display on the entire market that supports it without pricey adapters.

    2. There are not even Mini-DP to DP adapters available.

    3. You can no longer use third party 30" displays, as the Mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter does only reliably support the 30" ACD.

    4. Even if using Apple's 30" ACD, you get occasional noise (dancing red dots), reports point to cable length and connector fit issues (people could solve the problem by adding a costly dual-link DVI repeater to the chain)... so: adding a 100 USD adapter plus a 200 USD repeater will get you the same quality that used to be included for free.

    5. They do not even have audio on the damn thing (and that is part of the standard). E.g. hooking up to a flat-screen TV requires as little as: a. Mini-DP to DVI adapter, b. DVI to HDMI cable, c. mini (3.5mm) stereo-jack to Toslink adapter, d. Toslink cable ... a single standard HDMI or DP output would have solved all of that. Most displays today have HDMI in and HDMI can easily support the same resolutions; the Mini-HDMI port is a standard and it does work, Mini-DP does not ? it is not much bigger either. Apple keeps making devices thinner while adding more and more adapters and cables to our bags.

    6. You can no longer extract a composite or S-Video signal (both are garbage, I know, but there are still cases in which you need them).



    These people are not complainers, they have a very valid point. Apple screwed this up royally.

    • mini-DisplayPort is not proprietary. It's open to all and part of the VESA standard.

    • Besides the small size it has more bandwidth that HDMI or DVI, it's royalty free.

    • I've seen adapters as low as $12, but there are no mDP-to-DP at this point, but to think they aren't coming this early in the game is unrealistic.

    • Audio is an optional part of the standard. Macs, which are computers not home entertainment appliances, may never get that option, though I hope they do. Apple has never focused their machines to be hooked up to HDTVs, but instead to monitors even though it's still quite simple.

    • You are purposely creating a foolish scenario of excessive adapters instead of using a more direct approach.

    • They have made all their consumer devices use mDP, instead of micro-DVi, mini-DVI, and DL-DVI, yet you say they require more adapters. That is a bit hard to swallow.

    • There are cases in which people will always need old, outdated standards, but Apple is not and will not support those very few people. If you need composite and S-Video then a Mac is not the machine for you. It's really that simple!

  • Reply 32 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post


    Isn't turn-by-turn nav one of those things best left to dedicated devices and automobile dashboards?



    If you're on a trip long enough to require turn-by-turn directions, aren't you probably going to want to use your phone as, well, a phone? Check email or text messages at the stop light? Listen to music or audiobooks along the way?



    I've been using turn-by-turn in my Nokia phones for about 3 years now. It works quite well.
  • Reply 33 of 126
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post


    I've been using turn-by-turn in my Nokia phones for about 3 years now. It works quite well.



    I've been using street directories in my cars for about 30 years I managed quite well without voice guidance.



    I want to throw my wife's Navman out the window sometimes, take the left exit onto the freeway...



    ...99% of my car trips start that way I KNOW that part already and the "proceed 15 miles" (There I Americanized it).



    The rare occasions I use my iPhone for directions is after I've reached the general area I'm heading to when I can start looking for landmarks I found previously in streetview.



    Besides I can always get the wife or kids to hold the iPhone and give voice directions with real time voice activated feedback.
  • Reply 34 of 126
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Great answer, Solip!



    Getting back to the magnetometer thing. Can anyone else see the prospect (a la Dark Knight or Matrix) of now being able to photo-map (and holographically reconstitute) interiors and exteriors of buildings, cities, countries, planets...? (OK that's enough overactive SF imagination)



    We live in exciting times.



    Enz
  • Reply 35 of 126
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post


    I do believe I had read that - as i have an original iPhone I have the recessed jack - so far the standard jack and the GPS chip and 3G have not been enough for me to make the jump - since I have an iPod, a TomTom, and a 3G notebook card - but I am hopeful that the next hardware bump of the phone will alone me to have one device - iPhone - instead of 3 - iPod, iPhone, TomTom - would simply things - especially when I have to fly somewhere - as it is kind of a pain to take all that stuff with me - especially if I want to use my BOSE noise canceling headphones on the plane.



    Plus all the chargers for everything - I would only need to carry a USB iPhone connector plus maybe a USB to 12v car adapter (one with an airline option would be nice too).



    what kind of 3 g card do you have ??

    and what exactly does it do ??

    thank you
  • Reply 36 of 126
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post


    Apple does not use the "open and better DisplayPort standard", they use a proprietary and absolutely non-standard Mini DisplayPort abomination. This thing has only one benefit: size. Other than that it only has a few problems:

    1. There is only one single display on the entire market that supports it without pricey adapters.

    2. There are not even Mini-DP to DP adapters available.

    3. You can no longer use third party 30" displays, as the Mini-DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter does only reliably support the 30" ACD.

    4. Even if using Apple's 30" ACD, you get occasional noise (dancing red dots), reports point to cable length and connector fit issues (people could solve the problem by adding a costly dual-link DVI repeater to the chain)... so: adding a 100 USD adapter plus a 200 USD repeater will get you the same quality that used to be included for free.

    5. They do not even have audio on the damn thing (and that is part of the standard). E.g. hooking up to a flat-screen TV requires as little as: a. Mini-DP to DVI adapter, b. DVI to HDMI cable, c. mini (3.5mm) stereo-jack to Toslink adapter, d. Toslink cable ... a single standard HDMI or DP output would have solved all of that. Most displays today have HDMI in and HDMI can easily support the same resolutions; the Mini-HDMI port is a standard and it does work, Mini-DP does not ? it is not much bigger either. Apple keeps making devices thinner while adding more and more adapters and cables to our bags.

    6. You can no longer extract a composite or S-Video signal (both are garbage, I know, but there are still cases in which you need them).



    These people are not complainers, they have a very valid point. Apple screwed this up royally.



    Did they ??? Or maybe they want to sell more of there ...
  • Reply 37 of 126
    citycity Posts: 522member
    The current iPhone commercials show a compass app, but I couldn't find a working compass at the app store.
  • Reply 38 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post


    The current iPhone commercials show a compass app, but I couldn't find a working compass at the app store.



    I think they all work by having you figure out North first and then using the accelerometer to determine when you turn.
  • Reply 39 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post


    (OK that's enough overactive SF imagination)



    Overacting San Francisco imagination or Sci-Fi imagination?
  • Reply 40 of 126
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Overacting San Francisco imagination or Sci-Fi imagination?



    Are you implying that he's a homosexual?
Sign In or Register to comment.