TomTom iPhone app; iPhone magnetometer; Boot Camp in 10.6

13567

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post


    Isn't turn-by-turn nav one of those things best left to dedicated devices and automobile dashboards?



    If you're on a trip long enough to require turn-by-turn directions, aren't you probably going to want to use your phone as, well, a phone? Check email or text messages at the stop light? Listen to music or audiobooks along the way?



    If you think it is a feature best left to a dedicated device, that's clearly your call and your money. A TomTom app is going to cost some money, so will a dedicated device, though probably more money.



    I've used the built-in Maps app for directions while playing audio. I don't understand why you think mixing location app & audio is a problem, that part actually works pretty well in my experience. Adding turn-by-turn would be even better, it would be even less fussing with the device. Where a dedicated device would clearly do better is if you get one with a bigger screen for seeing the map and other data.
  • Reply 42 of 126
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post


    The more integration between Mac & Windows, the closer we get to the first Windows virus to screw Mac users.



    Unlikely as being able to move file between the two systems is light years away from a virus being able to function in both OSes. Now when Windows program can run under a Mac OS without emulation (VMware, Parallels) or interpretation (Wine) then I'll worry.
  • Reply 43 of 126
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post


    Are you implying that he's a homosexual?



    that'd be roger Wilco, over and out.
  • Reply 44 of 126
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Overactive San Francisco imagination or Sci-Fi imagination?



    Didn't see that one coming.. Cheers



    The possibilities of photo-mapping buildings are actually a bit sinister.. a bit of a security nightmare. The iPhone with camera, GPS, direction detection and triangulation software becomes a theodolite and a complete mapping tool.
  • Reply 45 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post


    TomTom's just getting around to that now? I thought as soon as the iPhone 3G with GPS came out, there would be an app for that.



    I just hope the app project doesn't go under the code name Godot!



    There IS a turn by turn app out there for the iPhone. I saw it when I was in my friends car a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to download it, but couldn't because it was the greater part of a GB! It included most of the maps needed in the US. It was only $25.



    But a couple of days after I got home I tried to find it again, and I couldn't. Very frustrating. I don't understand that, but I'll try again soon. I don't remember the name of the danged thing because I thought I'd find it again easily, as it came up so fast.
  • Reply 46 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    There IS a turn by turn app out there for the iPhone. I saw it when I was in my friends car a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to download it, but couldn't because it was the greater part of a GB! It included most of the maps needed in the US. It was only $25.



    But a couple of days after I got home I tried to find it again, and I couldn't. Very frustrating. I don't understand that, but I'll try again soon. I don't remember the name of the danged thing because I thought I'd find it again easily, as it came up so fast.



    Using iTS to locate things is hit or miss. I will use Google to search for the link that opens it up in iTunes.



    Is this it: XRoad G-Map
  • Reply 47 of 126
    doc362doc362 Posts: 43member
    I'm a little offended that they would just be starting to work on it. WTF is wrong with you TomTom? We've been waiting almost a year for this crap. I think it's more hot air. How hard is it to port a turn by turn GPS program to iPhone? Every other GPS phone has turn by turn built-in.. It's one of my only real major complaints about the phone.. trying to look at google maps and push all the buttons while you're driving isn't exactly the safest or smartest idea.
  • Reply 48 of 126
    doc362doc362 Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post


    Isn't turn-by-turn nav one of those things best left to dedicated devices and automobile dashboards?



    If you're on a trip long enough to require turn-by-turn directions, aren't you probably going to want to use your phone as, well, a phone? Check email or text messages at the stop light? Listen to music or audiobooks along the way?



    if you're on a long road trip doesn't that mean you probably have a general idea of where you're going? A responsible driver should have some clue about the roads they are traveling. Also, you're bound to be on the interstate for hours.. I have bluetooth built into my car.. I could talk on the phone and look at directions or listen to music and use the turn by turn at the same time with no problem.. that's what makes the iphone so great :P
  • Reply 49 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Using iTS to locate things is hit or miss. I will use Google to search for the link that opens it up in iTunes.



    Is this it: XRoad G-Map



    Yeah, that's it.



    Interesting reviews. I don't trust most of the one star reviews, esp. as many come one right after the other. It seems like it works fairly well. The only real thing it lacks is voice instructions.



    Whatever problems it may have, it shows that there is a turn by turn app available, and that apple isn't preventing any of these companies such as Tom Tom from already having one.
  • Reply 50 of 126
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    TomTom was one of the earliest GPS device makers to express an interest in iPhone applications, confirming its attempts a month ahead of the App Store's launch last July.



    I'm somewhat shocked TomTom aren't yet in the game. They do own maps, they thus have everything to launch an application... Why waiting There may exist something between Google and Apple preventing third-party maps from showing on iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 126
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post


    Kitchen sink?



    According to sources, its a feature that pools all available memory, while garbage collecting in one step, instead of a two step process. But, since the device uses flash based memory, it puts markers as to where the open memory is, instead of trying move bits around to keep things optimized thus elongating the life of the on board flash chips. The feature can slow down some Apps that write to memory often, so turning it off for Debug purposes is a good idea.



  • Reply 52 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Yeah, that's it.



    Interesting reviews. I don't trust most of the one star reviews, esp. as many come one right after the other. It seems like it works fairly well. The only real thing it lacks is voice instructions.



    Whatever problems it may have, it shows that there is a turn by turn app available, and that apple isn't preventing any of these companies such as Tom Tom from already having one.



    It says released Mar 27, 2009. Maybe they relaxed the contract already?
  • Reply 53 of 126
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Wow, MacDrive just declared bankruptcy, lol.
  • Reply 54 of 126
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'm so psyched about Apple adding a compass to the iPhone though! Hope they add WAAS too sometime. Oh I'm so getting this next rev.
  • Reply 55 of 126
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Apple really needs to include turn-by-turn GPS navigation software STANDARD with the new iPhone hardware coming out this year.



    This should not be an extra purchase...
  • Reply 56 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    It says released Mar 27, 2009. Maybe they relaxed the contract already?



    I don't understand the entire situation. there is nothing preventing any company from having maps from other sources. After all, the GPS companies don't rely on Google's maps. This company could be leasing, or buying their maps from the source the other companies get theirs from.



    Writing the program isn't anything that Apple should object to either.
  • Reply 57 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post


    Apple really needs to include turn-by-turn GPS navigation software STANDARD with the new iPhone hardware coming out this year.



    This should not be an extra purchase...



    Why not?
  • Reply 58 of 126
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I don't understand the entire situation. there is nothing preventing any company from having maps from other sources. After all, the GPS companies don't rely on Google's maps. This company could be leasing, or buying their maps from the source the other companies get theirs from.



    Writing the program isn't anything that Apple should object to either.



    As far as I recall, the initial developer's contract completely simply said no to turn-by-turn, map data or not. I hadn't heard anything about any kind of exception if you brought your own map data. All that changed with this year's MWSF keynote, that was when they first came out with any mention that they will grant permission to do route guidance, with the caveat of bringing your own map.



    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...dance-dancing/
  • Reply 59 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,508member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    As far as I recall, the initial developer's contract completely said no to turn-by-turn, map data or not. I hadn't heard anything about any kind of exception if you brought your own map data. All that changed with the MWSF keynote.



    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...dance-dancing/



    If you read the bottom of the article, it speculated differently:



    Quote:

    Update: Astute commenter Austin points out that these terms are copied almost word-for-word from the Google Maps API terms -- which means that TomTom and others are probably free to use their own maps to do real-time guidance.



    So unless Apple snuck in a change that no one knows about other than this one company...
  • Reply 60 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I don't understand the entire situation. there is nothing preventing any company from having maps from other sources. After all, the GPS companies don't rely on Google's maps. This company could be leasing, or buying their maps from the source the other companies get theirs from.



    Writing the program isn't anything that Apple should object to either.



    I believe I recall Apple's March 17th, 2009 special event for iPhone 3.0 that specifically stated that developers can offer turn-by-tun GPS apps, but can't use Google Maps to do it since Google does not license their map software for such use.



    Why they didn't state this from the release of the SDK, I don't know. What is nice about the future apps is that you won't have to purchase the apps independently. G-Maps is pretty nice, but if you are driving one side of the US to the other you'll have to switch apps. That is a big of a pain. It would be nice if you could by the app, say for $5, and then buy the maps you wish to have within the app. Being able to buy a particular metropolis within the app for a reduced rate would be pretty cool, too. Or for another country but still using the same app. I just hope Apple updates iTunes to allow me to un/select these in-app purchases at will the way you can choose normal apps to load on your iPhone.



    XRoad is using map data from Navteq. Impressive clientelle list for a company I'm just now hearing about.
Sign In or Register to comment.