Chinese rumor claims 2009 iPhone will be modest upgrade

Comments

• Reply 41 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

32 GB is 32,000,000,000 bytes. Computers read the data in binary codes, which means 1 thousand is not 1000 but rather 1024. So take 32,000,000,000 and divide that number by 1024, then 1024 again, and then 1024 again and you'll get that number. 29.8 GB formatted capacity (computer recognized number). Minus the OS and you'll get roughly 29 GB of available space.

For example:

Your 8GB iPhone has only 7.45 GB of total space (computer recognized). After the OS, you get 7.08GB of free space, I think.

Your 16GB iPhone has only 14.9 GB of total space (computer recognized). After the OS, you'd have about 14.53 GB of available space.

OS 3.0 might be a lot more space hungry, so it uses up .6 GB instead of .37GB like OS 2.x? I don't know for sure. But that number sounds right to me. At least if it's fake, the person who did it already did his/her homework.

Oh no! I stated the same thing here when the original iPhone came out. It was not received well because people tend to think of flash as one giant chip that can't be stepped without doubling the whole thing each time. This was inspite of Apple clearly stating that 1GB = 1 billon bytes on their iPhone page.
  • Reply 42 of 172
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    This all sounds believable, except for the FM part. I don't see Apple providing an FM receiver (although I would feel indifferent to having one) and a transmitter doesn't make sense because the experience would suck.

The faster processor and increase in RAM would really make a difference...especially if video recording is going to happen.
  • Reply 43 of 172
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    No,

My iPhone runs 3.0, with beta 5. It's a 16GB and it has 14.6 available space which means 300 for the OS.

This means that if this were correct, that available space count it either highly inaccurate (by 500 MB) or this is a fake.

Quote:

32 GB is 32,000,000,000 bytes. Computers read the data in binary codes, which means 1 thousand is not 1000 but rather 1024. So take 32,000,000,000 and divide that number by 1024, then 1024 again, and then 1024 again and you'll get that number. 29.8 GB formatted capacity (computer recognized number). Minus the OS and you'll get roughly 29 GB of available space.

For example:

Your 8GB iPhone has only 7.45 GB of total space (computer recognized). After the OS, you get 7.08GB of free space, I think.

Your 16GB iPhone has only 14.9 GB of total space (computer recognized). After the OS, you'd have about 14.53 GB of available space.

OS 3.0 might be a lot more space hungry, so it uses up .6 GB instead of .37GB like OS 2.x? I don't know for sure. But that number sounds right to me. At least if it's fake, the person who did it already did his/her homework.

• Reply 44 of 172
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Technically all iPhones have a 628Mhz CPU downclocked to 412Mhz as of iPhone OS 1.1.1 (it was 400Mhz to begin with). Also, the 2nd gen iPod Touches run at 533Mhz because of the 133Mhz FSB instead of 100Mhz with all other products.

As for doubling RAM, I'd say it's about time. Safari REALLY needs more memory as it's bogging itself down from all the processing a webpage takes. I also wonder if Apple will take the time to introduce Flash support. All I know is that it definitely won't be happening with the original iPhone or iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 45 of 172
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

For example:

Superb post. Thank you!
  • Reply 46 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zpesk View Post

the iPhone OS comes in well under a gigabyte. If this a 32GB device, why would the max capacity be about 29GB? iPhone OS is not 3GB!!

Such a phone would be running iPhone OS 3.0. Are you referring to the size of that OS?
  • Reply 47 of 172
    Quote:

For example:

Yeah. What he said.
  • Reply 48 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

No,

My iPhone runs 3.0, with beta 5. It's a 16GB and it has 14.6 available space which means 300 for the OS.

This means that if this were correct, that available space count it either highly inaccurate (by 500 MB) or this is a fake.

In order for the chip maker and Apple to claim 16GB (SI) the size has to be at least 16 Billion bytes. But since the flash chips used are built in only certain sizes with exponential building they will be a little over 16GB (SI). I don't know how big the ~225MB iPhone OS expands to but it's clear that it's just over 16 Billion bytes capacity, not 17.2 Billion bytes.
  • Reply 49 of 172
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    It's probably true. These are sensible additions.

Still, I think we'd all appreciate a little touch of nanochromatic on the iPhone. Coloured exterior is the kind of thing that might not show up on demo models and is a simple way to distinguish the old models from the new.
  • Reply 50 of 172
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    The form doesn't need to change, but the camera, RAM, CPU, and GPU could all be improved upon. Basically the guts can be upgraded. A few more sensors as rumored would be good. One minor form change would be a second camera for iChat of course.

Personally I'd still love a flip version of the iPhone with two screen (maybe three).
  • Reply 51 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Still, I think we'd all appreciate a little touch of nanochromatic on the iPhone. Coloured exterior is the kind of thing that might not show up on demo models and is a simple way to distinguish the old models from the new.

I'm thinking that Apple will use the same approach it did with the iPod line. They'll wait until the market reaches it's saturation point and they can bring out a smaller, less financially breaking iPhone Nano that is mainly a phone and iPod combo. Then later they'll come out with colours for it to spark new sales.
  • Reply 52 of 172
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Devices with 3.0 say "AT&T 3.5" , not "AT&T3.5"

I'm as dubious of rumors & urban legends as anyone, but a missing space is just as easily a typo as a lie. Have you seen the atrocious grammar and horrid typing skills rampant on the internet?!? If we're going to be doubting Thomases, we're going to need more evidence than this.
  • Reply 53 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

I'm as dubious of rumors & urban legends as anyone, but a missing space is just as easily a typo as a lie. Have you seen the atrocious grammar and horrid typing skills rampant on the internet?!? If we're going to be doubting Thomases, we're going to need more evidence than this.

But it's in the screenshot. So unless it was taken from a later developer build where they added the space, the typo is rather dubious.
  • Reply 54 of 172
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:

No,

Maybe this person installed some apps, so the available space is less...
  • Reply 55 of 172
    Quote:

Maybe this person installed some apps, so the available space is less...

The numbers are correct as is. The larger size is capacity and the smaller number below it is the storage space remaining. They have one photo installed using approximately 0.1GB or 100MB. That is one large photo!
  • Reply 56 of 172
    Hopefully this is just the "regular" iPhone and there will be a separate iPhone Pro that will be more revolutionary.

And FM being present isn't too unimaginable. Afterall, the 2nd Gen iPod Touch already has FM and Bluetooth in it's Nike receiver. Just that Apple doesn't use it yet. iPhone 3.0 will activate that Bluetooth. If the new iPhone uses the same Broadcom chip to support Nike, which seems very reasonable, than FM will be present. It's just a matter or whether Apple will support it or someone can hack it.

http://www.9to5mac.com/broadcom-BCM4...one-802.11n-FM

I believe references to a Bluetooth/802.11n/FM chip have already been found in the iPhone OS 3.0 beta.
  • Reply 57 of 172
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Wow, you can read Chinese? What does the rest of the text say? Or did you just compare it to your own iPhone? Sorry, I can't read Chinese, so... can't really say anything. I can't say anything further because I USED to have an iPhone until it was stolen from me...
  • Reply 58 of 172
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    So then still there is an error. Simple math:

29.8 should be it's formatted, uninstalled state. With iPhone OS 3.0 on it, that takes off .3GB (300MB)

Theoretically then the iPhone's capacity will be 29.5GB or so.

Even with a 100MB file, it's still 400MB over.

PS Solipsism were you backing me or this supposed screenshot?
  • Reply 59 of 172
    "modest upgrade" ???

'a "repeat" in physical design"' ???

"3.2-megapixel camera" ???
  • Reply 60 of 172
    Quote:

Wow, you can read Chinese? What does the rest of the text say? Or did you just compare it to your own iPhone? Sorry, I can't read Chinese, so... can't really say anything. I can't say anything further because I USED to have an iPhone until it was stolen from me...

About 1/6 of the world speaks a Chinese language, but I'm not one of them I turned the Chinese language on and took a screen shot which I then compared to my English display.

Quote:

So then still there is an error. Simple math:

29.8 should be it's formatted, uninstalled state. With iPhone OS 3.0 on it, that takes off .3GB (300MB)

Theoretically then the iPhone's capacity will be 29.5GB or so.

Even with a 100MB file, it's still 400MB over.

PS Solipsism were you backing me or this supposed screenshot?

I think the install creates a partition for the OS and one for user data which is shown. The device doesn't have to squeeze every last bit of space for the user, it would be good to have a little leeway for OS upgrades and whatever other files may be saved to it over time.

We've had this discussion here on AI which each of the other two iPhones, from everything I can see the values are correct. The image could have easily been faked but if it was then why choose AT&T with Chinese and why have nothing installed but a weirdly large 100MB photo. That doesn't fit the very safe statement about the HW updates coming.