Chinese rumor claims 2009 iPhone will be modest upgrade

Comments

• Reply 61 of 172
    A couple of thoughts... I was really hoping for a slide out qwerty keyboard this time around. Not sure how Apple would implement but thought I had heard a rumor to that effect some time ago. I'm thinking of trading my Blackberry Bold but I'm really hating the iPhone "keyboard", as do many Blackberry types. Maybe 3.0 will address make some non-physical improvements here and also improve on iPhones email handling. A flash for the camera and better low light processing would also be nice.

Regarding the Chinese web site rumor... I seem to remember 75% of the response posts about the Mac Mini video / rumors ranging from negative to "the video is fake so let's kill the guy". I also seem to remember the most of the posts / videos were right on the money.
  • Reply 62 of 172
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    A 100MB photo? Are you forgetting that iPhone doesn't store full photos, only downscaled counterparts? that's just more evidence of how stupid this screenshot is...

Oh and that partition can be rezised on restore so it doesn't make much sense for Apple to create a partition that is 800MB big when it only needs less than 300... Does it?
  • Reply 63 of 172
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    I see that this person is using OS 3 beta 4 with built 7A306. I also found a Spanish site that talks about this particular screen shot... Interesting stuff.
  • Reply 64 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

A 100MB photo? Are you forgetting that iPhone doesn't store full photos, only downscaled counterparts? that's just more evidence of how stupid this screenshot is...

Oh and that partition can be rezised on restore so it doesn't make much sense for Apple to create a partition that is 800MB big when it only needs less than 300... Does it?

1) I was not aware that photos loaded from iPhoto are reduced in size prior to storing on the iPhone.

2) You aren't taking into consideration the difference in BASE-2 and BASE-10

3) A 32GB iPhone is not going to be 32GB, it's going be 29.8GB before the formatting, OS, baseband and whatever else it has reserved from the user space.

4) I'm not saying the screenshot or claim in the article is legit, I'm saying that the capacity listed is close enough to not be proof that it's false.
  • Reply 65 of 172
    Ok I am not ignoring base 2 and base 10 issues. What I am saying is that after base 2 changing that it should be 29.8. If this is the case, and iPhone 3.0 takes 300MB in total as you should be able to confirm yourself on your device running iPhone 3.0, then the calculation works out at 29.5 or so GB

this screenshot is missing 500 MB in CAPACITY, even ignoring the photo, it is total capacity. It has 500MB less than usual with no discernable reason why. That is after all base 2 and base 10 calculations.

Maybe what the guy is saying is somewhat logical and you agree with him, but he's still deceiving you with his faked screenshot. That much can be seen by the stupid mathematical guess he made that 32GB flash would downscale to 29 capacity... It downscales to around 29.4-29.5. Any argument for a 500MB arbritrary partition extension is stupid - just like the iPhone 2.0 update they are able to extend partitioning within a restore cycle so there is no reason to arbritrarily leave 500MB void for "future enhancements and extention"
  • Reply 66 of 172
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    This screenshot betrays claims it is said to establish.
  • Reply 67 of 172
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    1) How is anyone here to presume the size of the OS running on this particular (alleged) iPhone? It's different hardware, and therefore needs a different OS than what everyone using earlier models runs. It may also have some debugger code left intact.

2) As someone else pointed out, having an FM receiver might be a latent bonus as part of a newer radio chipset. Whether Apple leaves it available for the user is a different matter.

3) Having an FM transmitter for car use is highly unlikely for two reasons. First, all the implementations I've read about sound truly sub-optimal and continually subject to interference. Second, such a feature would, in some cases, negate the need for a docking connector, and we all know that Apple loves its revenue from licensing that interconnect. But overall it detracts from the quality of audio connection, which is not something that Apple wants showing up in product reviews.

Unspoken (so far) in this rumor is the ability to record video. Any new info on that front?
  • Reply 68 of 172
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

My point exactly Addabox.

Apple even provides in 3.0 a shortcut to make those types of rows... It would literally take me two minutes to write an app to simulate that...

That doesn't prove anything though. I could Photoshop lots of good images, it doesn't mean I am, and then quietly distributing them.

It's just as likely this is true. Nothing far out about it.
  • Reply 69 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it's in the screenshot. So unless it was taken from a later developer build where they added the space, the typo is rather dubious.

It isn't a final release.

Even so, over the years Apple has had a few typos in various areas of the OS, later fixed. So has just about every manufacturer.
  • Reply 70 of 172
    Quote:

So then still there is an error. Simple math:

29.8 should be it's formatted, uninstalled state. With iPhone OS 3.0 on it, that takes off .3GB (300MB)

Theoretically then the iPhone's capacity will be 29.5GB or so.

Even with a 100MB file, it's still 400MB over.

PS Solipsism were you backing me or this supposed screenshot?

Apple is still using beta software. That contains large amounts ofcode for the purpose of tracing errors. That must be removed. It's also possible there are the apps Apple includes which are not included in the OS numbers.

Plus, new features will add to the size of the codebase as well.
  • Reply 71 of 172
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

downloaded the original image & messed around with image levels in Pixelmator... this is what came up.

is this normal?

or does anyone think that this is just some (un)imaginative photoshop-job?

First item in the "About" list is "Network". It doesn't contain "more" UI element ">" on my phone.

Is "Carrier" AT&T 3.5? AT&T have iPhones in China??? They must be kidding me...

I guess it's jailbroken phone with cracked "About" list as best. The sensational achievement.
  • Reply 72 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dapple View Post

This screenshot betrays claims it is said to establish.

No, it doesn't.
  • Reply 73 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

First item in the "About" list is "Network". It doesn't contain "more" UI element ">" on my phone.

Is "Carrier" AT&T 3.5? AT&T have iPhones in China??? They must be kidding me...

I guess it's jailbroken phone with cracked "About" list as best. The sensational achievement.

These phones would be intended for AT&T in the US. What's so strange about seeing that in the phone beta?
  • Reply 74 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

These phones would be intended for AT&T in the US. What's so strange about seeing that in the phone beta?

Why to hardcode carrier
  • Reply 75 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Why to hardcode carrier

Just because you see it there doesn't mean it's hardcoded. It's the SIM info that we're likely seeing there.
  • Reply 76 of 172
    Quote:

Just because you see it there doesn't mean it's hardcoded. It's the SIM info that we're likely seeing there.

AT&T 3.5 SIM works in China No, can't believe it
  • Reply 77 of 172
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Human invent the wheel once and look where are we now. Apple did an extraordinary job with the iPhone. What they need now is to make it better. What they also need is a revolutionary tablet computer.
  • Reply 78 of 172
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

That doesn't prove anything though. I could Photoshop lots of good images, it doesn't mean I am, and then quietly distributing them.

It's just as likely this is true. Nothing far out about it.

We can all agree that the alleged upgrades are not unreasonable. Many people hereabouts have predicted pretty much the same thing.

But the fact that this particular posting includes a "screenshot" that we also agree would be very easy to fabricate doesn't magically confer extra veracity on this version of such speculation.

Absent any more compelling evidence, I can't see why this should be taken any more seriously than any other rumor.
  • Reply 79 of 172
    Quote:

Apple is still using beta software. That contains large amounts ofcode for the purpose of tracing errors. That must be removed. It's also possible there are the apps Apple includes which are not included in the OS numbers.

Plus, new features will add to the size of the codebase as well.

Melgross,

You don't expect me to believe there are features more than the size of the current OS still waiting, or debugging stuff that's 500MB? Or even a 50/50 split.

90% of the debugging stuff if not more stays in the iPhone OS even through release. Also, I am USING that beta right now and using that for my comparisons. Your explanations hardly add up.

90% of debugging they use Shark and Instruments, tools for which support already exists, and Apple actually tries to actively tell devs to use 24/7. Also note that stuff for debugging features and chips is included in the betas being given out to me and other devs. It's just not active.

Your reasoning is just plain silly from a development perspective.
  • Reply 80 of 172
    "Network" is shown in Simplified Chinese: 网络 (Traditional Chinese reads 網絡)

and "Carrier" - in Traditional Chinese: 承運人 (Simplified Chinese reads 承运人)