Chinese rumor claims 2009 iPhone will be modest upgrade

Comments

• Reply 121 of 172
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gotcha! I see what you are getting at. However, this SIM is funky because it does allow you to access the carrier, possibly to change it, as shown by that arrow. Perhaps the Chinese writing of AT&T is just the way that text would show up.

There is special settings section to switch the network. It's not on "About" list. The arrow being displayed on the line, where just short string broadcasted by carrier is supposed to be, makes no sense at all and is very suspicious.

I still believe, this is just developer's drop of OS 3.0 with masterfully tweaked "About" list.
  • Reply 122 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If new computers were 50% quicker, we would be dancing in the streets!

Or lining up around the block overnight at every AT&T and Apple Store in the country. Though that will probably happen anyway.
  • Reply 123 of 172
    Quote:

To do testing with the sophisticated equipment they use? Of course it will work.

Don't forget that Apple must have this device work EXACTLY as it will in the USA (and for other countries versions later) in order to pass the FCC testing procedures. That means that they have to go through the same tests the FCC does, outfitted EXACTLY as it will be when offered for sale here.

It's not that difficult to see that. When I designed equipment to sell in other countries that had testing standards, I had to design, and build my equipment HERE, in the USA, to meet those standards, and I had to test for them as well.

This is standard procedure.

You can not guarantee exactness of test in strange environment. I also participated in field tests of something, which is nowadays called gadgets. We moved on the terrain where the device was supposed to work. However, limited factory test is done where the device is manufactured.
  • Reply 124 of 172
    Quote:

400 to 600 isn't only a bit quicker, it's 50% quicker.

If new computers were 50% quicker, we would be dancing in the streets!

Why is it so important for you?? Me personally, I will not even notice that 50% ramp up. Just more processor idle time, nothing else...
  • Reply 125 of 172
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Some people noticed the bump in the last iPod Touch release (which clocked in around 535 Mhz) on games. I think the bump combined with twice the RAM will definitely be evident to those who've used the iphone before.
  • Reply 126 of 172
    Not that I'm much happy with that presumed processor acceleration.

To me, combined with trustful rumors saying they will migrate on 3.75G or 4G, it may mean they may have solved radio chip power management problems. No more need in underclocking CPU. Sure, I understand, faster connection with all coming advanced streaming features should require faster processor, but I'd prefer they give me longer-lasting battery...
  • Reply 127 of 172
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

You can not guarantee exactness of test in strange environment. I also participated in field tests of something, which is nowadays called gadgets. We moved on the terrain where the device was supposed to work. However, limited factory test is done where the device is manufactured.

It's not a strange environment. It's a standard RF resting room. Why make these comments when you're not familiar with what has to be done, and how?
  • Reply 128 of 172
    Quote:

Why is it so important for you?? Me personally, I will not even notice that 50% ramp up. Just more processor idle time, nothing else...

Then you don't need a sophisticated piece of equipment. You're lucky.
  • Reply 129 of 172
    Quote:

It's not a strange environment. It's a standard RF resting room. Why make these comments when you're not familiar with what has to be done, and how?

No, I can not say I know exactly how iPhone is tested. I doubt a bit you do... Is their PVT limited to RF tests? I don't know this and the article says nothing about.
  • Reply 130 of 172
    Quote:

Then you don't need a sophisticated piece of equipment. You're lucky.

A phone can not be sophisticated piece of equipment. It's just phone.
  • Reply 131 of 172
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    Modest upgrade for the iPhone. What a pity.

I've heard that the ZunePhone is going to have a 1GHz processor, some nVidia super-Tegra chip capable of workstation rendering, an 8MP camera that captures real-time HD video, two micro-HDSC slots (combined capability of storing 64GB of data) HDMI output and a big-screen high resolution HD display. And MS is going to charge only $199 for all that goodness.

Just as Apple is going for software, Microsoft is going for hardware. When MS introduces their ZunePhone, the tech-crowd and news media are going to go bonkers, proclaiming the iPhone is history with it's meager memory and cut and paste upgrade.
  • Reply 132 of 172
    Quote:

No, I can not say I know exactly how iPhone is tested. I doubt a bit you do... Is their PVT limited to RF tests? I don't know this and the article says nothing about.

I do know how this is done. As I said, I designed equipment for years, for my own company. You can find out about these procedures if you want to, by looking it up if you don't understand it. You're just making statements at random.
  • Reply 133 of 172
    Quote:

I do know how this is done. As I said, I designed equipment for years, for my own company. You can find out about these procedures if you want to, by looking it up if you don't understand it. You're just making statements at random.

Mel, we're arguing about nothing again.

Validation test of communicating devices includes field test since long (after in-lab tests). Field test is performed on real live network. Period.

You might not need it in your project, but this is not general rule.

I'm not RF engineer and I can not describe RF tests in details, but I indeed happened to participate in field testing (having been occupied with my software).

We may argue endlessly on this exact case of iPhone. But this is because there might be no real PVT. The guy simply crafted this phone with available OS 3.0 seed and made a fuss. That's all.
  • Reply 134 of 172
    Quote:

Mel, we're arguing about nothing again.

Validation test of communicating devices includes field test since long (after in-lab tests). Field test is performed on real live network. Period.

You might not need it in your project, but this is not general rule.

I'm not RF engineer and I can not describe RF tests in details, but I indeed happened to participate in field testing (having been occupied with my software).

We may argue endlessly on this exact case of iPhone. But this is because there might be no real PVT. The guy simply crafted this phone with available OS 3.0 seed and made a fuss. That's all.

Field testing is often done before FCC testing is done, just to make sure the thing does what it's supposed to, and that there aren't any show stoppers. That's allowed by the rules.

You're assuming it's a fake, I'm saying that it looks plausible. I don't know if it's a fake any more than you do.
  • Reply 135 of 172
    Quote:

Field testing is often done before FCC testing is done, just to make sure the thing does what it's supposed to, and that there aren't any show stoppers. That's allowed by the rules.

You're assuming it's a fake, I'm saying that it looks plausible. I don't know if it's a fake any more than you do.

OK, OK, they measured something with all their voltmeters, OK, I don't know what did they do, OK... As you want.
  • Reply 136 of 172
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I've heard that the ZunePhone is going to have a 1GHz processor, some nVidia super-Tegra chip capable of workstation rendering, an 8MP camera that captures real-time HD video, two micro-HDSC slots (combined capability of storing 64GB of data) HDMI output and a big-screen high resolution HD display. And MS is going to charge only $199 for all that goodness.

Just as Apple is going for software, Microsoft is going for hardware. When MS introduces their ZunePhone, the tech-crowd and news media are going to go bonkers, proclaiming the iPhone is history with it's meager memory and cut and paste upgrade.

I think they denied those rumors and instead there's to be a class of Windows Mobile devices that 3rd parties manufacture that adhere to a minimum set of hardware requirements and Nvidia Tegra is one requirement.

Apple may do the same thing on the mobile platform as their computer platform: slower hardware for the price and rely on the aesthetics and software to keep in the game.

I would be surprised if they went with hardware that wasn't capable of GPU computing given that OpenCL extends to mobile platforms. Being able to shunt some processing off to the GPU would help things run a bit more smoothly.

Supposedly, the majority of Nvidia's revenue for Ion is from Apple so there's something cooking up between the two companies.

Given that the Mac lineup went nearly all-Nvidia, I'd like to see a Tegra-based iphone, an Ion -based Apple TV and Ion touch tablet.
  • Reply 137 of 172
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Thanks all for your acknowledgement about my post on the 32GB issue. I'm really hoping to see a 32GB iPhone with a plan that I can actually afford coming soon. I can wait until September if this happens. I'm getting excited about this upcoming iPhone.
  • Reply 138 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Thanks all for your acknowledgement about my post on the 32GB issue.

Speaking of your post about Base-2 v. Base-10, Snow Leopard's Disk Utility will listing of GB for the drives and partitions will be dropping JEDEC's Base-2 format in favour of SI's Base-10 usage. For example a HDD marketed at 250GB having slightly over 250,000,000,000 bytes will no longer show up as 232.9GB in Disk Utility. It will show up as 250GB. Finder shows the Base-2 size as one would expect.

Also, the size for the base OS has dropped from 5.9GB in Leopard to just 3.5GB for Snow Leopard. Nice.
  • Reply 139 of 172
    I wish this issue about base 2 vs base 10 would end. It's gotten tiresome over the years, and is also quite meaningless.

No matter who is "right", the amount of memory is the same. There is no actual difference in bytes in the HDD, RAM, or whatever it is that is being argued over, only the perception of a difference.

HDD manufacturers adopted the base 10 measure because that's what most people use and understand. It was never the intention to confuse or fool people as to the "actual' amount of memory involved. Using base 10 is just as valid as using base 2.

Also, the amount of memory left after formatting, varies between OS's, not only between Windows, OS X and Linux, but also between each version of each OS.

It is what it is, and no one is going to prove anything with some arcane geeky mathematical argument.
  • Reply 140 of 172
    Quote:

HDD manufacturers adopted the base 10 measure because that's what most people use and understand. It was never the intention to confuse or fool people as to the "actual' amount of memory involved. Using base 10 is just as valid as using base 2.

It was adopted for marketing reasons. It is confusing, especially as capacity grows. OSes use multiples of 1024 between nomenclature, whereas manufactures use a metric 1000. You can easily see this in Leopard's Disk Utility as it states the capacity as GB and bytes next to each other showing that Base-2 is being used. My 1TB drive is not using 69GB for formatting.