Chinese rumor claims 2009 iPhone will be modest upgrade

Comments

• Reply 101 of 172
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Shadow

I agree with you, and I'd stated this stuff earlier.

Debugging tools are built into the OS already and are available quite openly to iPhone Devs. We have access to full system performance and debug tools that Apple does. The only thing we don't have access to is extra settings panels.

There is no logical reason to suggest in any way, shape or form, that an iPhone with 32GB storage could only have 29.0GB of usable space. 29.4 is the minimum, and thus this is a fake picture.

I agree with some things: No PA semi, speed bump, ram increases. Also a storage size increase. However, claiming this picture as part of this reported "insider's" proof doesn't strengthen his argument - it weakens it. Several other questions that must be asked:

1. Why is a prototype phone AT&T-carrier-locked, or why is there an AT&T sim in it? Either must be the case to get AT&T in there.

2. Why no gap in AT&T3.5? Maybe a typo but... it doesn't show up the same in the same build of the beta currently used on AT&T in the States...

3. How did this man get this picture? There are 3 ways to get the screenshot off the phone: 1, through a computer, 2, through email, or 3, MMS. If its not his, and he's just an insider, do you think he'd get the chance to take screenshots off onto a computer? Doubt it. Then access to the phone network? Not if he's trying to access AT&T in the China... and the AT&T suggests that... and Wifi? Maybe, but I somehow doubt it...

None of this really adds up, and if it is a fabrication, then why should we trust an "insider" who deliberately publishes a fake screenshot? What makes him credible in the slightest? He's just lied about one thing...

These are conservative and predictable claims but don't tie your expectations to them too tightly... its just not reliable...
  • Reply 102 of 172
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajay View Post

well, the rumors may be true... but the image certainly has the marks of digital manipulation!

just my $0.02

It's called compression. It's normal. And everything on the web is digital.
  • Reply 103 of 172
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    if it's AT&T (3.5 in China, sic!), how come the carrier name AT&T is not translated in Chinese, while network name - which should logically be "AT&T blah-blah-blah" - is if it's factory, how come all that is translated at all
  • Reply 104 of 172
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Better battery and then more stuff that uses up the better battery so it ends up like the old battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ziegler View Post

We NEED a better battery. With more CPU processing and more memory, plus apps running in the background the current (see same as in original iPhone) battery in the iPhone 3G just won't cut it (it barely cuts it now if you use 3G).

• Reply 105 of 172
    mbru103mbru103 Posts: 1member
    Arent the people in china supposed to get a different iphone than us in america.. one that is closer to the 1st gen iphone.. maybe he is using that one and the american iphone 3rd gen will be different
  • Reply 106 of 172
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I hope it's a dual-core 600MHz CPU. I was kinda hoping for Nvidia's Tegra platform too.

Tegra would easily rival a PSP. Other manufacturers will use Tegra and the iphone won't look so good by comparison in terms of raw performance. They will probably choose their solution based on battery life though, which is a sensible decision.
  • Reply 107 of 172
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Ok I am not ignoring base 2 and base 10 issues. What I am saying is that after base 2 changing that it should be 29.8.

Gotcha. Yeah, that is a bit off and suspect like other aspects of this rumor, but there could be a reasonable explanation for it, too. I would expect the capacity to be 14.6GB (JEDEC) plus 16 billion bytes [16GB (SI)] for the doubled capacity. Using BASE-2 that is, 14.6GB + 14.9GB for a total of 29.5GB (JEDEC).
  • Reply 108 of 172
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Wow it's hard, for me to figure out, why you might like, the writing style.

I'm in a coma of commas.

Sorry fella, but the sentence, "I have to admit, I don't always read every post here despite them coming up on my google reader, but this one caught my eye. I loved the writing style so just felt the need to comment!" is formatted correctly.

Try passing 7th grade English before bashing someone for using commas.
  • Reply 109 of 172
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

AT&T 3.5 SIM works in China No, can't believe it

You're not paying attention to what I said. Read it again, carefully.
  • Reply 110 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

We can all agree that the alleged upgrades are not unreasonable. Many people hereabouts have predicted pretty much the same thing.

But the fact that this particular posting includes a "screenshot" that we also agree would be very easy to fabricate doesn't magically confer extra veracity on this version of such speculation.

Absent any more compelling evidence, I can't see why this should be taken any more seriously than any other rumor.

We've all seen pictures of Apple's products that were real and not real. It's been that the ones that looked close to what was expected, when accompanied with information that seemed reasonable, were correct, while the ones that were further out there weren't.

So the fact that the predictions here are reasonable, along with a reasonable picture gives it some credibility. I'm not saying that it's definitely correct, just that it looks to have a good shot at being correct.
  • Reply 111 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Melgross,

You don't expect me to believe there are features more than the size of the current OS still waiting, or debugging stuff that's 500MB? Or even a 50/50 split.

90% of the debugging stuff if not more stays in the iPhone OS even through release. Also, I am USING that beta right now and using that for my comparisons. Your explanations hardly add up.

90% of debugging they use Shark and Instruments, tools for which support already exists, and Apple actually tries to actively tell devs to use 24/7. Also note that stuff for debugging features and chips is included in the betas being given out to me and other devs. It's just not active.

Your reasoning is just plain silly from a development perspective.

You're just taking a part of what I said, and forgetting all the rest, so yes, from that perspective, it would be wrong. But when you take into account ALL of what I said, it isn't.
  • Reply 112 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I still say no FLASH spells trouble this time around. Not only are we in an epic terrible economy mind you, all the anti msft commercials, but with the pre palm coming this could be bad for apple, especially that contracts are expiring and plans could be cheaper, and then flash. Font try to sway someone who works in media, dreamweqver, rapid weaver, htmlcoding. Flash is everywhere, Hulu, myspace, MLB HD streaming, and all movie web sites, and the iPhone is supposed to be media friendly??? Not, spare me the QuickTime, heck even moststeaming rumors have to be reducituzed on YouTube before placed in macrumors a d appleinsider before we can see them. How ironic is that. Fkashwill make a difference this time and so will Palms Pre.

You watch.

About the lack of Flash for the iPhone and the Arm chips:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=217400257
  • Reply 113 of 172
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    I got one more hint: iPhone OS 3.0 should list the number of apps after the number of images and before the total size. Might depend on specific version though.
  • Reply 114 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You're not paying attention to what I said. Read it again, carefully.

Sorry. I thought, I did.

So, as far as I understood your point, they took AT&T's SIM card, being valid in States (we know the display is close to what developers see in States), and put it in new iPhone to conduct PVT in China.

This should not work in wild, that was my shriek exactly.

The only envisageable option is it's at factory. Theoretically, this is possible, I agree.
  • Reply 115 of 172
    How will apple get those oh so press friendly lines down the block if the phone is only a bit quicker. They must change the look in some small way at least...
  • Reply 116 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

About the lack of Flash for the iPhone and the Arm chips:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=217400257

Interesting. A year without Flash could show a significant lose if they don't get it right. They have really dropped the ball by working on this so late in the game.

Are people finally realizing that Flash on the iPhone wasn't a good idea, yet? Each new article that quotes Adobe has them saying it was harder than previously thought.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadow View Post

I got one more hint: iPhone OS 3.0 should list the number of apps after the number of images and before the total size. Might depend on specific version though.

I noticed that, but I am thinking that Applications don't show up if you haven't installed any. I'll check later.

Quote:

Sorry. I thought, I did.

So, as far as I understood your point, they took AT&T's SIM card, being valid in States (we know the display is close to what developers see in States), and put it in new iPhone to conduct PVT in China.

The only envisageable option is it's at factory. Theoretically, this is possible, I agree.

Why could the user not have been in the US, but simply using the Chinese Language support.
  • Reply 117 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why could the user not have been in the US, but simply using the Chinese Language support.

ATT's network name, which is actually what we see next to 3G indicator, would not be translated in Chinese.
  • Reply 118 of 172
    Quote:

ATT's network name, which is actually what we see next to 3G indicator, would not be translated in Chinese.

Gotcha! I see what you are getting at. However, this SIM is funky because it does allow you to access the carrier, possibly to change it, as shown by that arrow. Perhaps the Chinese writing of AT&T is just the way that text would show up.
  • Reply 119 of 172
    Quote:

Sorry. I thought, I did.

To do testing with the sophisticated equipment they use? Of course it will work.

Don't forget that Apple must have this device work EXACTLY as it will in the USA (and for other countries versions later) in order to pass the FCC testing procedures. That means that they have to go through the same tests the FCC does, outfitted EXACTLY as it will be when offered for sale here.

It's not that difficult to see that. When I designed equipment to sell in other countries that had testing standards, I had to design, and build my equipment HERE, in the USA, to meet those standards, and I had to test for them as well.

This is standard procedure.
  • Reply 120 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert.Public View Post

How will apple get those oh so press friendly lines down the block if the phone is only a bit quicker. They must change the look in some small way at least...

400 to 600 isn't only a bit quicker, it's 50% quicker.

If new computers were 50% quicker, we would be dancing in the streets!