Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 239
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic, but there's no question blu-ray has been successful enough to be offered at least as an option.

There is a difference between having a blu-ray drive and being able to play blu-ray movies. Until Apple has a blu-ray movie playing application (and all the licensing to go with it), having a blu-ray drive would be pointless for most people. I think a relatively small % of people want blu-ray for writing data discs. They want to play movies.

Maybe with Snow Leopard Apple will finally include the ability to play blu-ray movies. Until they have that, don't expect to see a blu-ray drive in any Mac.

That said, give me my blu-ray capable mini already for my home theater system!
  • Reply 22 of 239
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Apple,

How about adding a damn BLU-RAY drive for the 15" & 17" models? hell it doesn't have to burn blu-ray, just read them, people could pay more for the blu-ray superdrive as an option.

I bet if Apple offered a blu-ray drive it would be pretty damn expensive. It would have to be an ultra-thin slot loading drive. Those aren't cheap by any means. You better want to watch movies on your laptop pretty bad! Other than watching movies, blu-ray is practically useless. If they also had a blu-ray burner in the same drive it may be useful for people using video/DVD editing apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

There is a difference between having a blu-ray drive and being able to play blu-ray movies. Until Apple has a blu-ray movie playing application (and all the licensing to go with it), having a blu-ray drive would be pointless for most people. I think a relatively small % of people want blu-ray for writing data discs. They want to play movies.

Maybe with Snow Leopard Apple will finally include the ability to play blu-ray movies. Until they have that, don't expect to see a blu-ray drive in any Mac.

Exactly!
  • Reply 23 of 239
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

Let someone chose between a 15" laptop with integrated graphics and an SD slot (the consumer MB) and a 15" with dedicated graphics and ExpressCard (the MBP). Apple's 15" laptop is no longer a "Pro" laptop.

You should read the specs more carefully before whining.

They still HAVE a 15 with dedicated graphics that you can choose, it's only integrated on the entry level 15. You're saying that taking off EC slot demotes it from "Pro". I doubt there would be many who would agree with that assessment.

The 2.66 GHz, 15-inch MacBook Pro, for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

*-- *15.4-inch widescreen LED-backlit 1440 x 900 glossy display;

*-- *2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 3MB shared L2 cache;

*-- *1066 MHz front-side bus;

*-- *4GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, expandable to 8GB;

*-- *NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics;

*-- *NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics with 256MB GDDR3 video*memory;

*-- *320GB serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;

*-- *a slot-load 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R*DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

*-- *Mini DisplayPort for video output (adapters sold separately);

*-- *built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR;

*-- *Gigabit Ethernet port;

*-- *built-in iSight video camera;

*-- *two USB 2.0 ports;

*-- *one FireWire 800 port;

*-- *SD card slot;

*-- *one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;

*-- *glass Multi-Touch trackpad and illuminated keyboard;

*-- *built-in, 73WHr lithium polymer battery; and

*-- *85 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.
  • Reply 24 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That's party line, but doesn't mean much when BD is still a fraction of DVD and DVD sales are plunging.

Quote:

actually, yes! blu-ray adoption is running ahead of DVD when it was released.

• Reply 25 of 239
    Only if the inclusion of BD would help increase sales of Apple computers, there is no evidence this would be the case.

Quote:

Hard to tell if you're being sarcastic, but there's no question blu-ray has been successful enough to be offered at least as an option.

• Reply 26 of 239
    Quote:

There is a difference between having a blu-ray drive and being able to play blu-ray movies. Until Apple has a blu-ray movie playing application (and all the licensing to go with it), having a blu-ray drive would be pointless for most people.

Apple needs to offer both, it's pretty ridiculous to not be able to offer the APP to play them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I bet if Apple offered a blu-ray drive it would be pretty damn expensive.

So make it BTO and charge whatever needs to be charged.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's party line, but doesn't mean much when BD is still a fraction of DVD and DVD sales are plunging.

Adoption of new formats takes time, and is BD catching on any slower than DVD did? If DVD adoption was even slower, do you consider that format to be a failure?

Quote:

Only if the inclusion of BD would help increase sales of Apple computers, there is no evidence this would be the case.

There's certainly room for debate how much BD would help sales, but you seriously think it wouldn't help at all?
  • Reply 27 of 239
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:

and apple sales are a fraction of PC sales

oh wait, party line right?
  • Reply 28 of 239
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    I predicted they would have to price cut to make room for the tablet. Where are all the fanbitz who said apple wouldn't cheapen. LOL. Just rubbing. It's great for all consumers. Nit sure his much video, motion you can do but FireWire is a must for pro audio.

Godspeed, blessings.

Quote:

Apple needs to offer both, it's pretty ridiculous to not be able to offer the APP to play them.

Adoption of new formats takes time, and is BD catching on any slower than DVD did? If DVD adoption was even slower, do you consider that format to be a failure?

There's certainly room for debate how much BD would help sales, but you seriously think it wouldn't help at all?

• Reply 29 of 239
    Quote:

Well it all comes down to licensing. Perhaps Apple doesn't want to pay for a license when they already offer an HD solution. And I'm sure the fact that Apple sells a thing called AppleTV with the iTunes Movie store has nothing to do with the lack of blu-ray.

You don't see any 3rd party developers making an OS X player either do you?

Quote:

$500-$700 option? I doubt many will take it up! Not enough to make up for the cost of having it.
  • Reply 30 of 239
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Quote:

your right, Apple needs to have an application which can play back the movies, and have hardware able to playback HDCP drm material. but... all the tech is available.

All we are waiting for is Apple to do it. as for the "licensing" being a holdup for Apple... That is just PR excuses. the reality is they don't want to divert any purchases from their itunes movie store. either in rental or purchase form.

A company like apple can easily handle licensing blu-ray technology if they wanted to. Apple clearly doesn't want blu-ray in its products. Despite the fact that blu-ray is supporting itunes with its Digital Copy program. BS
  • Reply 31 of 239
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Quote:

Well it all comes down to licensing. Perhaps Apple doesn't want to pay for a license when they already offer an HD solution. And I'm sure the fact that Apple sells a thing called AppleTV with the iTunes Movie store has nothing to do with the lack of blu-ray.

$500-$700 option? I doubt many will take it up! Not enough to make up for the cost of having it.

BTO shouldn't be that much. there are "superdrives" which can playback BD content, burn CD/DVD. If people want to burn BD content let them pay for the more expensive drive. but to get a BD reading superdrive... that isnt much more of a cost than say $25 over a regular superdrive for macs.
  • Reply 32 of 239
    Quote:

BTO shouldn't be that much. there are "superdrives" which can playback BD content, burn CD/DVD. If people want to burn BD content let them pay for the more expensive drive. but to get a BD reading superdrive... that isnt much more of a cost than say $25 over a regular superdrive for macs.

Got a link to that?
  • Reply 32 of 239
    Quote:

There's no question that Apple has reasons not to do it, but that doesn't make it acceptable to the consumers who want it. And with the licensing fees, just pass those along with the cost of the drive (or charge for the app), it's not rocket science.

Quote:

That remains to be seen. Apple certainly has offered (and I assume, sold) extremely expensive options in the past.
  • Reply 34 of 239
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I predicted they would have to price cut to make room for the tablet. Where are all the fanbitz who said apple wouldn't cheapen. LOL. Just rubbing. It's great for all consumers. Nit sure his much video, motion you can do but FireWire is a must for pro audio.

Godspeed, blessings.

What does any of that have to do with my post?
  • Reply 35 of 239
    graemegraeme Posts: 61member
    Quote:

So in reality, they didn't make the MacBook Pros cheaper...but they now make a 15" MacBook (non-Pro).

+ 1

I can see that a lot of workflows don't use a card slot, but then there some that do and flexibility is the key, now we are down to one FW input and no express slot this makes the 15" not much use to any video workflow that that isn't memory card based.

The ability to plug in a video deck + external storage via fw or esata(via card slot) is still a regular need.

Having just one model (17") that gives the flexibility of working in the various setups you have to deal with seems limited. no point having a powerhouse laptop if your struggling to get stuff in and out of it.
  • Reply 36 of 239
    Quote:

There's no question that Apple has reasons not to do it, but that doesn't make it acceptable to the consumers who want it. And with the licensing fees, just pass those along with the cost of the drive (or charge for the app), it's not rocket science.

That remains to be seen. Apple certainly has offered (and I assume, sold) extremely expensive options in the past.

Customers want lots of things. Its impossible for Apple to fill every single niche people think they need.

Yes, the SSD option on the MacBook Air comes to mind. I actually wonder how many chose that option?
  • Reply 37 of 239
    Quote:

No the two circumstances are entirely different. Its only BD supporters who are attempting to make them the same. When DVD was first introduced it was a revolutionary new product and had no real competition. BD is not revolutionary and has a lot of competition.

Quote:

BD may help Apple sell a few hundred more computers, but I don't believe it would help sell hundreds of thousands.
  • Reply 38 of 239
    The number of media services that compete directly against iTunes is growing every year. i don't think Apple feels especially threatened by Blu-ray. I do agree Apple isn't very interesting in licensing or adopting Blu-ray DRM into OS X.

Quote:

All we are waiting for is Apple to do it. as for the "licensing" being a holdup for Apple... That is just PR excuses. the reality is they don't want to divert any purchases from their itunes movie store. either in rental or purchase form.

• Reply 39 of 239
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Glossy screens and built-in batteries = Apple shares tanking $5 on the news.

Wonder if they are going to give the public what they want any time soon?
  • Reply 40 of 239
    anybody know why Apple can't use the integrated usb/esata all-in-one ports i'm seeing on PC's.