Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

Comments

• Reply 241 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Are they worth it? I was thinking about them when they came out and saw they didn't really work with my 2G iPhone and said heck w/ it...

I think so, as I like the controls on the headphone cable but Apple?s cartilage reshaping earbuds. The headphones, mic obviously work and the controls work just as well as your other headphones. For the price they sound good, but they could use some more bass. Since I can?t get in-ear phones from other vendors that control the iPod app I will surely be sticking with them in the future.
  • Reply 242 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post

You are a dumb blind sheep. It's the same fricking case with a compass.

Quit defending Apple with no basis.

You don't know what the RAM is, You don't know what processor it uses, you don't know what the real world battery use is.

It's the same fricking case with a compass as far as you know.

That's all it is until you have the specs on the phone. Yes it is just a phone (with a compass).

I get lost hiking all the time, this is going to be a great feature for me.

I lost my phone, I pay Apple $99 for mobile vista and I can erase it. That is wrong.

If I lost my phone I should be able to call AT&T and say stop service and wipe my phone I have personal data on it.

The 3GS is a joke for an upgrade and the upgrade cost is a joke as well for those that have been faithful to apple since day 1 of the iPhone.

Clearly, you are jumping the gun in light of actual facts presented. What part of longer battery life and support for 7.2Mbps was not clear to you? Did you also missed the use of auto-focus camera and increase to 3 mega pixels with video recording? These are the new hardware in the iPhone 3GS. All you focused on was the compass. You need to work on your reading comprehension.
  • Reply 243 of 263
    Anyone else notice how the "AT&T" is gone from the status bar?
  • Reply 244 of 263
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slightlyvolcom View Post

Anyone else notice how the "AT&T" is gone from the status bar?

Where are you seeing this?

EDIT: I'm guessing you're referring to the pictures in the AI article. That's because AT&T is just the US carrier for a phone that Apple sells and advertises globally.
  • Reply 245 of 263
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    Quote:

Well the 3Gs is enough to get me to upgrade from my 2G (like what they say on cnet). If you don't have an iPhone or you have a 2G it's a worthwhile upgrade - if you have a 3G it probably isn't until the price comes down but, at least for me personally, I'm planning on sticking to the 2 year refresh rate just as I did with my old cell phone.

Ditto. My only fear is that a bigger cosmetic change will be made next summer and I'll want it. D'oh!
  • Reply 246 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Where are you seeing this?

EDIT: I'm guessing you're referring to the pictures in the AI article. That's because AT&T is just the US carrier for a phone that Apple sells and advertises globally.

Oh, that's right. I see it on the AT&T website now. lol
  • Reply 247 of 263
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

Ditto. My only fear is that a bigger cosmetic change will be made next summer and I'll want it. D'oh!

Well if we can hold off from getting the 3G from the 2G we should be able to wait until 2011 when they'll *possibly* begin rolling out the 4G capable iPhones (although it'll probably be 2012 or later until AT&T has it in your area (at best)).
  • Reply 248 of 263
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Well if we can hold off from getting the 3G from the 2G we should be able to wait until 2011 when they'll *possibly* begin rolling out the 4G capable iPhones (although it'll probably be 2012 or later until AT&T has it in your area (at best)).

Because 7.2 Mb/s isn't fast enough
  • Reply 249 of 263
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    If holding the Home button get you to voice control, what happened to holding the Home button removing apps and changing the screen layout? DId I miss something?
  • Reply 250 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

If holding the Home button get you to voice control, what happened to holding the Home button removing apps and changing the screen layout? DId I miss something?

You’re going to be a bit embarrassed.

You hold down an app on the screen to get the “wiggle started so you can move and delete them. When you are done you click the Home button.

Note: The Voice Control does not work in the original or current version.
  • Reply 251 of 263
    It's about time for video capability. Even Blackberry has it!
  • Reply 252 of 263
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You’re going to be a bit embarrassed.

You hold down an app on the screen to get the “wiggle started so you can move and delete them. When you are done you click the Home button.

Note: The Voice Control does not work in the original or current version.

Ooops. I confused forced quit with changing the layout LOL

Holding Home for few seconds force quit the current app in all iPhone models.
  • Reply 253 of 263
    delete please
  • Reply 254 of 263
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Ooops. I confused forced quit with changing the layout LOL

Holding Home for few seconds force quit the current app in all iPhone models.

oh right, good point, hmm...
  • Reply 255 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What does BlackBerry have to do with the iPhone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhoneAddict View Post

It's about time for video capability. Even Blackberry has it!

• Reply 256 of 263
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What does BlackBerry have to do with the iPhone?

beecauze it is a thing that u can hold en your hand and make phone cals with and do things with just liek the iphone can does.
  • Reply 257 of 263
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That's an extremely simplistic view of the reality. All smartphone platforms are created by different groups of people and through patents they are not allowed to directly copy each others work. Simply because one phone can perform a function and more importantly perform that function well, does not mean that another phone should be able to just as easily perform that same function. Every time a smartphone maker adds a new function in some ways they've had to reinvent the wheel to make it work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

beecauze it is a thing that u can hold en your hand and make phone cals with and do things with just liek the iphone can does.

• Reply 258 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's an extremely simplistic view of the reality. All smartphone platforms are created by different groups of people and through patents they are not allowed to directly copy each others work. Simply because one phone can perform a function and more importantly perform that function well, does not mean that another phone should be able to just as easily perform that same function. Every time a smartphone maker adds a new function in some ways they've had to reinvent the wheel to make it work.

It's no more simplistic than fawning over features that other phones have had for years and acting like its revolutionary simply because Apple says its so. If the iPhone had to stand on its merits alone it might not do as well, however with Apple and its very good hype machine, features that others manufactures have had for years and years suddenly become new with the iPhone. The sad this is people actually fall for the hype. It will be very interesting to see what happens on June 20th with the so-called S version. Personally I do not think it will sell as well as the original 3G, but you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can fool iPhone iBoys all of the time.
  • Reply 259 of 263
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

It's no more simplistic than fawning over features that other phones have had for years and acting like its revolutionary simply because Apple says its so. If the iPhone had to stand on its merits alone it might not do as well, however with Apple and its very good hype machine, features that others manufactures have had for years and years suddenly become new with the iPhone. The sad this is people actually fall for the hype. It will be very interesting to see what happens on June 20th with the so-called S version. Personally I do not think it will sell as well as the original 3G, but you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can fool iPhone iBoys all of the time.

You better hope that, say, Nokia isn't this stupid, because they'll get their ass handed to them if they proceed on the assumption that the iPhone's popularity is based on "hype" and "fanboys."

Personally, I'm astonished that anyone is still clinging to the "features" argument, even after the iPhone has so clearly demonstrated that what people want is ease of use and seemless integration. The kind that Nokia has failed to deliver after many years in the cell phone biz, instead electing to lard their "flagship" handsets with ever more features and hardware specs and and bullet point check list completers, all at the service of an ever more out of date feeling OS.

For what it's worth, I'm not seeing anyone acting like any particular feature on the iPhone is "revolutionary"-- rather the general idea is that the combination of UI, OS, form factor, ease of use, access to applications and media and just general polish is what is revolutionary.

But by all means keep that straw man alive-- if Apple's competitors can't see past it (and so far, oustide of the Pre and to a lesser extent Android, they don't seem to be able to), it'll be smooth sailing for the iPhone.
  • Reply 260 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You better hope that, say, Nokia isn't this stupid, because they'll get their ass handed to them if they proceed on the assumption that the iPhone's popularity is based on "hype" and "fanboys."

Personally, I'm astonished that anyone is still clinging to the "features" argument, even after the iPhone has so clearly demonstrated that what people want is ease of use and seemless integration. The kind that Nokia has failed to deliver after many years in the cell phone biz, instead electing to lard their "flagship" handsets with ever more features and hardware specs and and bullet point check list completers, all at the service of an ever more out of date feeling OS.

For what it's worth, I'm not seeing anyone acting like any particular feature on the iPhone is "revolutionary"-- rather the general idea is that the combination of UI, OS, form factor, ease of use, access to applications and media and just general polish is what is revolutionary.

But by all means keep that straw man alive-- if Apple's competitors can't see past it (and so far, oustide of the Pre and to a lesser extent Android, they don't seem to be able to), it'll be smooth sailing for the iPhone.

Nooooooo. The CEO of Nokia paid all due respect to Apple and the iPhone. He was correct in his assessment. He admitted that Nokia had missed the mark in some respects. You are almost correct in the part about the flagship being feature laden. With the N97 Nokia decided to go with good hardware as opposed to the latest and greatest like Samsung. Nokia decided to build out the Symbian OS and migrate it toward the Open Source versions that are in the pipeline. The hardcore Nokia fans are having shit hemorrhages because Nokia went with proven hardware and optimized code for the N97. After playing with the N97 for a while, I can say it is very iPhone like and will get better with the next iteration. Ovi, in my opinion is a disaster in progress but has the potential to excel once they decide to take the Finns out of the UI picture. Finns can make many great things, UI's are not one of them. The Ovi Store has a shaky start but from the look of it, things have smoothed out and with the store/phone/payment integration it is actually pretty smooth and transparent. Not harder than purchasing from the Apple App Store. This I call even in functionality.