iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 161 of 429
    packy17packy17 Posts: 8member
    For me, It's 17 months. I bought the 3G on launch day, 7/12. Same day I started my line with AT&T.

But I get this:

I have never been late on a bill or anything. It's pretty lame to have to wait to upgrade, but mine seems to be longer than anyone else I've seen or know.
  • Reply 162 of 429
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm not getting the 3GS, I'm going to ride the 3G out till next years model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t care either way. I?m going to get a new one in 11 days regardless. Waiting 2 moths of 6 months of 9 months isn?t worth forking out $200 more for something I want.

• Reply 163 of 429
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by packy17 View Post

For me, It's 17 months. I bought the 3G on launch day, 7/12. Same day I started my line with AT&T.

But I get this:

I have never been late on a bill or anything. It's pretty lame to have to wait to upgrade, but mine seems to be longer than anyone else I've seen or know.

That seems to be the case for me too. I switched from Verizon to AT&T in August last year and now they say only in March 2010 I can upgrade it under the subsidized pricing. Not doing it, specially knowing few months later a new version might be in the works.

I want to do it in August when I complete one year anniversary.
  • Reply 164 of 429
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Cameronj, I don?t think the average US citizen makes more than about $80 a day, I think.

Actually, (s)he makes more.

Annual US per capita income is about $46,000, so assuming 250 working days, it comes out to $184 per day. (Since that includes everyone, working adults make more, perhaps twice as much).
  • Reply 165 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah, after I posted that I did the math and realized that I should have said iPhone user instead of US citizen. I do think the average American makes probably over $100 a day (at least the average American WORKER, which sadly is becoming more and more hard to find). The USA's per capita income, which I think excludes children and retirees, is 40K, which is around $20 per hour based on a 40 hour work week/2000 hour work year.

The $46,000 number includes every documented American (incl. children and retirees).
  • Reply 166 of 429
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The $46,000 number includes every documented American (incl. children and retirees).

Yeah? I stand corrected - always nice since it means I was right from the beginning!
  • Reply 167 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Actually, (s)he makes more.

Annual US per capita income is about $46,000, so assuming 250 working days, it comes out to $184 per day. (Since that includes everyone, working adults make more, perhaps twice as much).

Interesting, I would have thought that to be the average household income.
  • Reply 168 of 429
    danacamerondanacameron Posts: 337member
    Quote:

It is, because if you had, you'd have a little more understanding of why a company wouldn't want it's customers to have such a clear idea of the hierarchy that the business puts them into.

Condescension is rude, even in a forum such as this. When someone doesn't understand something, what's most appreciated is simply an explanation, not an unprovoked attitude. But judging from several of your other posts, I gather it's just a part of your personality.

Quote:

I certainly wouldn't want my clients knowing the thought process that goes through my head when the phone rings and I decide whether to (A) answer it right then, (B) check the voicemail asap and reply then, or (C) check the VM when I have the time and get back to them only then.

I'm sure all business owners prioritize and categorize their clients in some way, but your example of responding to client calls doesn't exactly fit the scenario we're discussing regarding AT&T's customers' seemingly random upgrade qualification dates.

Quote:

I'll help you then.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Quote:

ATT uses the following criteria (in no particular order) to decide who is a more favored customer than whom:

Average monthly revenue generated (higher is better)

Average monthly profit generated (higher is better)

Reliability of monthly payments (higher is better)

Duration of history from which these figures are drawn (longer is better)

There you go!

Thanks. That all makes sense and is seemingly obvious even without a phone call to AT&T to have them spell those things out. The problem is that several posters here report that they meet all those "higher/longer-is-better" criteria and still have upgrade qualification dates of December 2009 or later. There just seems to be a general opacity to AT&T's methodology that to me, and others, seems arbitrary. It certainly appears inconsistent, or at the very least not entirely in keeping with your explanation.

Quote:

There are of course some mistakes, and the beauty of it is, one can call ATT and bring the mistake to its attention. If it truly is a mistake, ATT can correct it.

True enough.

Quote:

No amount of complaining on a message board is going to correct it, though.

*Sigh* And you were doing so well?
  • Reply 169 of 429
    codybjcodybj Posts: 3member
    I got my iPhone replaced under warranty by Apple in March, and that apparently resulted in a new two year contract. Does that seem odd to anyone else??

• Reply 170 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by codybj View Post

I got my iPhone replaced under warranty by Apple in March, and that apparently resulted in a new two year contract. Does that seem odd to anyone else??

You've been had.
  • Reply 171 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by codybj View Post

I got mine replaced under warranty a couple months back as well, and it didn't result in a new two-year contract. Did you confirm this with AT&T?
  • Reply 172 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CTJ View Post

So you people must just be incredibly fortunate to have so much money to even CONSIDER buying a new phone in such a short period of time. It makes me wonder why you care what price they're gonna charge you, being as how you are so cavalierly throwing your money around anyway.

I guess some people just got it like that. Must be nice.
  • Reply 173 of 429
    jdrewjdrew Posts: 3member
    OK... here's what I got when I tried to find out my upgrade date. I purchased the 2 iPhone 3G's on launch day. I'm trying to figure out what price I will pay when I upgrade in July..???? I'm guessing the Apple site prices? What's confusing, 1 site says standard upgrade and the other says early upgrade...

From Apple's website:

From AT&T website:

• Reply 174 of 429
    Quote:

Interesting, I would have thought that to be the average household income.

Ah, but the distribution of this income is yet another story, altogether.....
  • Reply 175 of 429
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

No. Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

I think I misread something. Come to think of it, after having a year's worth of service, it seems that an additional $100 would have been a more realistic upgrade price. But given that AT&T us paying a lot in kickbacks to Apple to the point that (IIRC) they have a warning in their 10Q about this, they might not be able to afford that. The subsidies are rumored to be a lot higher than normal phones.
  • Reply 176 of 429
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Doubt O2 will rip off the UK users like AT&T does to it's customers.

Actually someone is ripping off someone!

This year's rates.

Tariff ------- £29.38

3G -- 8GB --- £96.89

3G S 16GB -- £184.98

3G S 32GB -- £274.23

Last year's rates!

• Reply 177 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

I have been an AT&T customer since the early 90's--almost 20 years.

But I bet because of the network issues, the flubbed launches, tethering, MMS, and now this, in 2011 I will be using my iPhone 4G on the Verizon network.

There is no way that Apple privately is happy with AT&T. No way.

I got that impression a few times while watching Phil's Keynote today.
  • Reply 178 of 429
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poochie543 View Post

I signed a 2 year contract with my iphone last July, but for some reason, the ATT site says I can upgrade on 12/22/2009. What's the deal?

I had to wait until August for my Sprint contract to expire, and it's telling me January
  • Reply 179 of 429
    I saw a lot of questions as to why different people had different eligibility for discounts. This was posted at Mac Rumors and explains which customers get upgrade eligibility when.

Not all Cingular/AT&T customers may qualify for a cell phone upgrade. At this time, AT&T Mobility allows these customers to upgrade with no upgrade fee when they commit to a new 2-year contract:

* AT&T customers who have had 24 months of cell phone service since activation of their cell phone or since their last phone upgrade.

Certain AT&T customers may be eligible for a cell phone upgrade even if they have been in their current plan for less than two years (24 months), if they commit to a new 2-year contract and meet these eligibility requirements:

* Customer has had a standard calling plan plus data services costing at least $68.99 a month but no more than $98.99 a month, and who has been in contract (and not had a phone upgrade) for 21 months or more,

or

* Customer has had a standard calling plan plus data services costing $99 a month or more, and who has been in contract (and not upgraded) in the last 12 months.

A customer with a calling plan and data services of less than $69 who is 21 to 23 months into contract may upgrade for a fee and a commitment of an additional two-year service contract extension. No upgrade fee is assessed for any customers who are on a month-to-month agreement.

Note that AT&T upgrade eligibility may be further limited based on customer?s usage history, payment record, previous phone replacement, etc. Upgrade eligibility is solely determined by AT&T Mobility at its discretion.
  • Reply 180 of 429
    pennerpenner Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I talked to an AT&T Manager in Sacramento right after the Keynote and he says the upgrade policy hasn't been decided yet and that last year everyone was able to upgrade with a new contract for the same price as all new customers. So I am not convinced this $200 premium will be in effect by next Friday. If it is I'm with you on early cancelation and new contract. Why spend another $25 above the early cancellation $175 penalty? That's why I don't think they will keep the $200 higher charge to upgrade rather than deal with a bunch of canceled agreements. \No. Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

I just put in my information at apple.com and was told as a valued customer I could pay $299 dollars for the 3G(S) phone. Or I could wait until the end of December for a regular upgrade. What a horrible way to show appreciation for valued customers! I think this will come back to bite both Apple/ATT. Sure there are folks that will pay the 200 for the early upgrade, but not as many. I see the share price in apple going down in the next week or so once the apple followers realize it will cost to upgrade early. The only reason they could be doing this is to not have all the apple loyalist buy the new phone and slow the system down at ATT, since the 3G(S) is stated to be 2X faster. As mentioned with the tethering capability, ATT has this with other smartphones, but cannot accomedate a mass rush of IPhone users who will definitely use the tether capability. Instead they slow those loyal to the apple brand so as not to overload the system.