iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 141 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How did you manage that seeing as how it didn’t come out until July 11th 2008?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Making stuff up is always easier than going with the facts

No need to be a horses' ass, Cameron. the automated upgrade process stated I could receive a subsidized iPhone 3Gs in April 2010. Since we have (2) year contracts, I figured I purchased it in April 2008. In any case, a pro-rated subsidy seems reasonable.
  • Reply 142 of 429
    jr1882jr1882 Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

I posted this in the iphone thread, but it seems now there is an entire thread dedicated to it, so I'll repeat myself:

I swear you people act like you've never bought a phone before and don't understand subsidizing at all. how did you get by before the iphone? I'll explain it... again:

the original iphone was unsubsidized (AT&T gave you nothing to buy the phone) this made the phone more expensive ($600) but the plans were cheaper because AT&T didn't need to recoup any costs.

the iphone 3G was subsidized ($200) which means AT&T pitched in the other $400 for the phone to get more customers. However AT&T needs to recoup that money, so they charge you $20 more per month, which means over the course of 2 years, they recoup their money plus interest ($480... 24months * 20 bucks). This extra 80 bucks over two years is why AT&T allowed people how had the first gen iphone upgrade for cheap. They now were able to lock you in for 2 years and charge you more per month and get an extra 80 bucks out of you over 2 years.

Now everyone who has an iphone 3G at the most has had the phone 11 months. AT&T has only recouped $220 from you from the $400 they pitched in for you to get the phone. Why would they then pitch in another $400 for you to get the new phone? If you want the new phone, AT&T is saying, okay, but you are bringing your own $400 this time.

hopefully this explains everything to people who have apparently never purchased a cellphone before or never signed a contract.

I seriously doubt the iPhone cosst AT &T $700 from Apple. Your explaination is a good one and I understand it except they arent losing money off me when they guys charge me $130 for my plan when I could go to Sprint for $99 unlimited everything. They are lucky to even have the iPhone on their Network. They can't even support MMS with the iPhone since there is so many users with iPhones until late summer? What renobs. They should kiss my ass and give me the phone for free for signing back up with those clowns for 2 years.
  • Reply 143 of 429
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Seems pretty fair to me. I recall they did similar upgrades last time around too.

yes they did. any contract under the standard upgrade time was $200 more. the only exception was the silver iphone folks who didn't get the benefit of the extra $200 off but had to sign the contract. they got to upgrade anytime. only fair really since they kinda got jerked around
  • Reply 144 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Druth086 View Post

I've been reading that all over the internet however, when I check mine (I waited in line 6 hours on launch day last year) it says that I'm eligible 3/11/2010. Which is NOT a year from when I purchased my phone. I hope they get all of this figured out soon enough because if I only have to wait until 7/12 then it'll be fine but I'm not waiting until March as another iPhone will certainly be on the horizon (again).

Mine is 1/1/2010. No reason to get one at that point. I'll wait for the new one with the front facing camera for video conferencing (if they ever break away from horrid ATT) and 20 Mps downloads. 64 gig RAM, 800 megahertz processor, 33% better battery life...
  • Reply 145 of 429
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Notice how solipism and his ilk are missing with all these complaints goin' on. Where is he? Hiding under an AT&T pole?

Stop talking nonsense. Does Verizon do it differently with their newer versions when the previous versions have been subsidized?

If so, please also show us a link.
  • Reply 146 of 429
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Pay pay pay.

I'm glad I held off buying the iPhone, now I can get the newest one, the nearly perfect one, without paying the extra ATT tax.
  • Reply 147 of 429
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Ars has a little bit more detail from AT&T ... looks like tethering is coming ... eventually. It also mentions that upgrade time varies by customer, and most Ars staffers that bought on launch day are also having to wait until December. Looks like if you're one of the unlucky ones, you're going to have to call AT&T and have them talk it out to you...

Ars Technica: AT&T speaks on tethering, iPhone 3G S preorders, upgrades
  • Reply 148 of 429
    danacamerondanacameron Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Again, I ask, you surely have never run a business, have you?

Whether I've run a business or not (and it's hardly relevant either way), your condescending tone isn't necessary.

Quote:

You know clearly where you stand. ATT is telling you how much the product costs. Trust me, it would have cost you far more than $200 more to get into the category where they consider you a good enough customer to get early upgrade pricing.

My issue isn't with the subsidized pricing; I understand that. My issue is with not knowing how AT&T categorizes its customers. There doesn't seem to be a clear-cut way of determining that (other than by what upgrade eligibility date we get) and, from the reports of some of the posters here, AT&T isn't very forthcoming about the criteria they use to determine who their "better" customers are.
  • Reply 149 of 429
    Quote:

Fixed costs are a bitch....

• Reply 150 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop talking nonsense. Does Verizon do it differently with their newer versions when the previous versions have been subsidized?

If so, please also show us a link.

Verizon doesn't have an iPhone so I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
  • Reply 151 of 429
    ctjctj Posts: 2member
    I have never posted to this forum before, but after reading through this thread (thanks by the way, big laughs) I just could not resist creating a user and adding my two cents.

You people complaining about the price you have to pay to upgrade your iPhone after less than a year... You must have money falling out of your pockets! And in such a tough economy, I'm really impressed. You paid $200 plus for a gadget less than 12 months ago and you are ready to shell out another $200 plus for another one! Do you buy computers every 12 months, too? TVs? Cars?? You should go to your local GM dealer. You could throw that money at a GM product, get a great deal, and help the American economy.

I bought my iPhone, I think it was winter 2007. I lucked out since I bought mine like a week before they lowered the price so I got some money back. Now I think the 3G is really cool, and the 3GS is even better, but I don't need to spend another $200 plus bucks on a phone/hand held computer/iPod every 12 months, or even 24 months. I can wait, and when I get my next one, it will be even better, and I will feel like I got a good value out of my previous purchase and be confident I will get a good value out of the new purchase as well.

So you people must just be incredibly fortunate to have so much money to even CONSIDER buying a new phone in such a short period of time. It makes me wonder why you care what price they're gonna charge you, being as how you are so cavalierly throwing your money around anyway.

Good for you! The economy needs your kind! I hope you're spending some of that dough on American made products.
  • Reply 152 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Whether I've run a business or not (and it's hardly relevant either way), your condescending tone isn't necessary.

My issue isn't with the subsidized pricing; I understand that. My issue is with not knowing how AT&T categorizes its customers. There doesn't seem to be a clear-cut way of determining that (other than by what upgrade eligibility date we get) and, from the reports of some of the posters here, AT&T isn't very forthcoming about the criteria they use to determine who their "better" customers are.

Snd the Apple website says I pay $699 for the 32 GB. Unfuc*ing -real!
  • Reply 153 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You could call and check on that, it just may be a mistake.

Quote:

I'm sure it's just a mistake. Quick phone call would get you the earlier pricing.

I'm eligible 10/1/09 btw - I didn't get the 2G until August and the 3G until Sept, because who has the time to wait in line all day? Don't most people make more than $200 in a day's work?

I don?t care either way. I?m going to get a new one in 11 days regardless. Waiting 2 moths of 6 months of 9 months isn?t worth forking out $200 more for something I want.

Cameronj, I don?t think the average US citizen makes more than about $80 a day, I think. That is $10 x 8 hours. However, I have read that the average iPhone buyer makes considerably more money than the average.
  • Reply 154 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CTJ View Post

I have never posted to this forum before, but after reading through this thread (thanks by the way, big laughs) I just could not resist creating a user and adding my two cents.

You people complaining about the price you have to pay to upgrade your iPhone after less than a year... You must have money falling out of your pockets! And in such a tough economy, I'm really impressed. You paid $200 plus for a gadget less than 12 months ago and you are ready to shell out another $200 plus for another one! Do you buy computers every 12 months, too? TVs? Cars?? You should go to your local GM dealer. You could throw that money at a GM product, get a great deal, and help the American economy.

I bought my iPhone, I think it was winter 2007. I lucked out since I bought mine like a week before they lowered the price so I got some money back. Now I think the 3G is really cool, and the 3GS is even better, but I don't need to spend another $200 plus bucks on a phone/hand held computer/iPod every 12 months, or even 24 months. I can wait, and when I get my next one, it will be even better, and I will feel like I got a good value out of my previous purchase and be confident I will get a good value out of the new purchase as well.

So you people must just be incredibly fortunate to have so much money to even CONSIDER buying a new phone in such a short period of time. It makes me wonder why you care what price they're gonna charge you, being as how you are so cavalierly throwing your money around anyway.

Good for you! The economy needs your kind! I hope you're spending some of that dough on American made products.

Not American cars. They blow a$$
  • Reply 155 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oh_arom View Post

I just got off the phone with an ATT rep. He said it is not just the length of contract that determines when you get the discount. It is the total length of service, how much biz you do with them, etc. Last July was when I had my first contract with ATT and he said that is probably why it is 01/04/2010 for me. Kinda stupid if you ask me.... I bet the people that can upgrade in July have been with ATT longer then 2 years

Don't know about that... started on a 2-line family talk in 2001, never a late payment, now I'm up to 4 lines (1 iPhone 3g since 7/22/08), and I don't qualify until March...
  • Reply 156 of 429
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

It is, because if you had, you'd have a little more understanding of why a company wouldn't want it's customers to have such a clear idea of the hierarchy that the business puts them into. I certainly wouldn't want my clients knowing the thought process that goes through my head when the phone rings and I decide whether to (A) answer it right then, (B) check the voicemail asap and reply then, or (C) check the VM when I have the time and get back to them only then.

I also wouldn't want them looking over my shoulder when I was looking at my calendar and trying to schedule them in. It's just how the world works - and having been on the other side of the equation helps you understand why ATT might not want you to know how little you mean to them.

Quote:

I'll help you then. ATT uses the following criteria (in no particular order) to decide who is a more favored customer than whom:

Average monthly revenue generated (higher is better)

Average monthly profit generated (higher is better)

Reliability of monthly payments (higher is better)

Duration of history from which these figures are drawn (longer is better)

There you go!

There are of course some mistakes, and the beauty of it is, one can call ATT and bring the mistake to its attention. If it truly is a mistake, ATT can correct it. No amount of complaining on a message board is going to correct it, though.
  • Reply 157 of 429
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    If you buy an iPhone this year, you'll be in the same situation next year when they launch next years phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'm glad I held off buying the iPhone, now I can get the newest one, the nearly perfect one, without paying the extra ATT tax.

• Reply 158 of 429
    Quote:

I have to agree with you on that.

ATT (and all the other throwbacks such as Verizon, Sprint,...) could be faor more forthcoming on this. They could also pro-rate instead of a stupid "take it or leave it at $200" model of pricing. At a minimum, they could take the trouble to explain (and train their associates to explain) their logic to customers that want to know.

Most customers are not ticked off at their pricing or their tactics as much as their opacity, tone-deafness, and obtuseness.
  • Reply 159 of 429
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t care either way. I?m going to get a new one in 11 days regardless. Waiting 2 moths of 6 months of 9 months isn?t worth forking out $200 more for something I want.

Cameronj, I don?t think the average US citizen makes more than about $80 a day, I think. That is $10 x 8 hours. However, I have read that the average iPhone buyer makes considerably more money than the average.

Yeah, after I posted that I did the math and realized that I should have said iPhone user instead of US citizen. I do think the average American makes probably over $100 a day (at least the average American WORKER, which sadly is becoming more and more hard to find). The USA's per capita income, which I think excludes children and retirees, is 40K, which is around $20 per hour based on a 40 hour work week/2000 hour work year.
  • Reply 160 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Verizon doesn't have an iPhone so I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Verizon surely has had V1 of a phone followed by a V2? RAZR, for instance? Care to check on what their policies were?