iPhone 3G S faster than Palm Pre; 500K sales "conservative"

Comments

• Reply 321 of 366
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

This like the titanic sinking

Over at pre-central the topic's about the crack screens are running over 13 pages long each .

Picture UPS sending 100,000 cracked screen pre's baCk to palm central . Piling up with 8 dollar an hour trained repair people avoiding work by twittering how they are avoiding work. While the broken pre's continue to pile up

And the palm guy on top just sits there with his 3gs mumbling about how the hell does hulu not charge for free movies .

And the band plays on.....

I would expect that COA (Cracked On Arrival) phones go back to whatever Chinese manufacturer is assembling them, not to Palm or mobile network provider..?
  • Reply 322 of 366
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't that it cant be scratched, but that it's pretty hard to scratch. Some people can scratch diamonds.

Shouldn't you instead be replying to the guy who claimed the "iPhone screens don't scratch"? I only offered to trade the guy my scratched iPhone as a joke to point out how absurd the claim was.
  • Reply 323 of 366
    Quote:

NO after reading many articles.This one put it in a clear order. Anyway some one said that if i give a link i have to talk about that link .

I would rather give the link. And go to sleep . Anyway in the articles everything he said is already being done . NO PIE IN THE SKY.

Did i mis speak nikon ?

If you say so.

This one article is reading like a iPhone ad... and that about gaming on iPhone.

Pre is in it's first generation and they managed to come much closer to iPhone (and actually better it in some fields) than WinMo, Symbian... did in years. I think that alone is worth respect.

Plus, we don't know what Pre people have in pipeline for future updates and major revisions. It seems as if most people here think they will stop here and milk poor little Pre for decades. That might happen, but new CEO seems much more capable than that.

We'll see.
  • Reply 324 of 366
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

2 questions:

You sure you can't disable automatic updates on Pre?

Why would you want to skip on updates..?

Absolutely certain.

http://www.precentral.net/webos-upda...d-if-they-have

As I already stated, there are people who will "jailbreak" their phones. That include the Pre, and WebOs. It's already been done. It will occur much more than with the iPhone because of the slow pace of Palms SDK development, and because it doesn't allow deep interaction with the hardware.
  • Reply 325 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Shouldn't you instead be replying to the guy who claimed the "iPhone screens don't scratch"? I only offered to trade the guy my scratched iPhone as a joke to point out how absurd the claim was.

No. Because most people understand that glass screens can scratch, even though it's much less likely. I'm sure he does, but was just overemphasizing it.

Your reply seemed to be indicating that he didn't, and seemed to be a bit sarcastic.
  • Reply 326 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You should take a look at sales of games on the iPhone. Gaming on the iPhone has quickly grown into a multimillion dollar business. Its more like the DS or PSP than most other phone platforms.

I don't suspect iPhone users are gaming on iPhone, as I don't suspect Mac users are using iLife. But that is still far from majority of phone users. There are many people who are not interested in games, and in particular mobile games. Heck, there are still loads of people who get all they need from basic Nokia phone.

Quote:

Nope, the iPhone screen does not scratch.

Borrow me your iPhone and I'll prove you wrong

Quote:

What really separates the iPhone from the others is the fact that it has a solid plastic body with no latches, doors, or moving parts. That makes it feel more solid and durable.

Unibody by all logic is more solid than bodies with moving parts, no discussion there. Still it doesn't mean other phones are useless, if more fragile. It also doesn't mean next Pre phone will not be unibody design.
  • Reply 327 of 366
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Who care about the Palm Peee now?

You don't think that's a little too juvenile?
  • Reply 328 of 366
    Quote:

Unibody by all logic is more solid than bodies with moving parts, no discussion there. Still it doesn't mean other phones are useless, if more fragile. It also doesn't mean next Pre phone will not be unibody design.

We can only deal with the reality of the moment. So right now, the Pre isn't a unibody phone.

I hope they haven't already got a new phone finishing up on the drawing board thats too much like this one, and that instead, they will be learning from the problems this one has first.
  • Reply 329 of 366
    Quote:

We can only deal with the reality of the moment. So right now, the Pre isn't a unibody phone.

I hope they haven't already got a new phone finishing up on the drawing board thats too much like this one, and that instead, they will be learning from the problems this one has first.

search for "Palm Eos" on google to get an idea what the next phone supposedly looks like.
  • Reply 330 of 366
    Quote:

Absolutely certain.

http://www.precentral.net/webos-upda...d-if-they-have

As I already stated, there are people who will "jailbreak" their phones. That include the Pre, and WebOs. It's already been done. It will occur much more than with the iPhone because of the slow pace of Palms SDK development, and because it doesn't allow deep interaction with the hardware.

what's kinda interesting is how Palm is apparently OK with people doing that. Since they include a lot of GPL'ed code, they have a web page linking to the source tarballs. Basically, if you have a Debian or Ubuntu machine with an ARM cross compilation tool chain, you should be able to build binaries for the Pre. Just a text editor is needed if you stick to Mojo. Certainly a lot lower up front cost if one doesn't have an intel based Mac.
  • Reply 331 of 366
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I would expect that COA (Cracked On Arrival) phones go back to whatever Chinese manufacturer is assembling them, not to Palm or mobile network provider..?

I have no idea where a COA would go. The whole post i made was to inflict laughter on the reader.

Good luck on your phone purchase.

• Reply 332 of 366
    Quote:

If you say so.

This one article is reading like a iPhone ad... and that about gaming on iPhone.

Pre is in it's first generation and they managed to come much closer to iPhone (and actually better it in some fields) than WinMo, Symbian... did in years. I think that alone is worth respect.

Plus, we don't know what Pre people have in pipeline for future updates and major revisions. It seems as if most people here think they will stop here and milk poor little Pre for decades. That might happen, but new CEO seems much more capable than that.

We'll see.

For crack screens pics

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...=188829&page=5

for a poll and more stories

Go to palm pre central and read up about the cracked screens. The poll topic is 26 pages long. and there are even more topics scattered around that site and the palm site.

DO you own a pre and an iphone ? If not than how can you say ?

Respect ? The pre has to earn it. Benefit of the doubt ? The cracked screen used that up. People were very upset at how sprint was delaying their return so they would go over the 30 day return policy. Some have to pay $100 insurance money or else ! So you see nikon where my jokes and put downs came from. I wish the pre well .

The pre people it seems should re-do some parts of their plan. They may want to get their own music site .They may want use glass in the future. They may want to start off smaller and slower and build a following. What the rush ?? It is a very large market. And the smart phone market is growing bigger and bigger so pre will have a place for itself to thrive.

peace

• Reply 333 of 366
    Quote:

Go to palm pre central and read up about the cracked screens. The poll topic is 26 pages long. and there are even more topics scattered around that site and the palm site.

DO you own a pre and an iphone ? If not than how can you say ?

Respect ? The pre has to earn it. Benefit of the doubt ? The cracked screen used that up. People were very upset at how sprint was delaying their return so they would go over the 30 day return policy. Some have to pay $100 insurance money or else ! So you see nikon where my jokes and put downs came from. I wish the pre well .

The pre people it seems should re-do some parts of their plan. They may want to get their own music site .They may want use glass in the future. They may want to start off smaller and slower and build a following. What the rush ?? It is a very large market. And the smart phone market is growing bigger and bigger so pre will have a place for itself to thrive.

peace

For some reason, I can inly see the posting for 98 posts there. Nothing has changed since the 20th.

What link are you using, as I went to Pre Central directly. No matter how I do it, I still get that same number.
  • Reply 334 of 366
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I don't suspect iPhone users are gaming on iPhone, as I don't suspect Mac users are using iLife. But that is still far from majority of phone users. There are many people who are not interested in games, and in particular mobile games. Heck, there are still loads of people who get all they need from basic Nokia phone.

Look at the reports for game sales on the iPhone. I cannot say if the majority of iPhone users game or not but there are enough people doing it to become a million dollar business.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Want to trade your iPhone for mine then? Mine couldn't possibly be scratched.

Quote:

Borrow me your iPhone and I'll prove you wrong

I supposed I simplified it too much. Yes the iPhone screen can be scratched if you actually put some effort forth. When the iPhone first came out there was a Youtube video of a guy who put it in a bag with keys and jewelry and shook it up. The back of the phone was scratched to hell, but the screen had nothing.

Quote:

I didn't say that other phones were useless, I simply said a solid body feels sturdier.
  • Reply 335 of 366
    Quote:

For some reason, I can inly see the posting for 98 posts there. Nothing has changed since the 20th.

What link are you using, as I went to Pre Central directly. No matter how I do it, I still get that same number.

I am also blocked

but i went to history and got in like flynn.

F For pre-crack's screens pics

for a poll and more stories

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-screen.html
  • Reply 336 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Hey I got my PRE and it Rocks........oh, I should clarify---

I PRE-ordered the iPhone 3GS.........The Palm Pre was merely an old prototype of the iPhone that Steve Jobs trashed.......Rubenstein left Apple disgruntled....and CNN put it best:

"The Pre is great....but....its not insanely great" ...thats what happens when you take a protoype to market....Rubenstein should have listened to Jobs.....darn

got milk ?

• Reply 337 of 366
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    I'd take it a little easy on the Palm fanboys. The apologia they are using for the Pre's shortfalls are very similar to the ones used by iPhone fanboys when it first came out. They deserve a bit of ribbing, in that sports fan, sports rival kind of way. When iPhone OS X gets 3rd party app multitasking, I'm sure we will all be singing its praises!

As for slider or slate, in particular for handheld computing devices, not simple cell phones, it's slate all the way. Design matters. Apple got this right from the beginning with a symmetrical design in both axes so that one can use it in portrait or landscape without much visual or ergonomic annoyances. To this day, very few touch screen phones don't get this right. The only ones I can think of is Nokia's 5800 and N97.

The Palm Pre doubles up the minuses by it being both a portrait slider and an asymmetric design about the vertical axis. It simply won't be that much fun to use in landscape with one end being bigger than the other and having to rotate to portrait to enter text. I'd bet that not many people will be using the Pre in landscape orientation.

Also think about the T-Mobile/Google G1, a horizontal slider. 8 months ago when it debuted, it's hard keyboard was one of its vaunted, key advantages over the iPhone. Today, Google updated the Android OS with an onscreen keyboard and the HTC Magic/T-Mobile myTouch 3G only has an onscreen keyboard for text input. What happened to the great advantage that was the hard keyboard?! Unfortunately, HTC/Google/T-Mobile continues to make the mistake of not have symmetrical design in both axes.

And I didn't even touch the tradeoffs in durability.
  • Reply 338 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

I'd take it a little easy on the Palm fanboys. The apologia they are using for the Pre's shortfalls are very similar to the ones used by iPhone fanboys when it first came out. They deserve a bit of ribbing, in that sports fan, sports rival kind of way. When iPhone OS X gets 3rd party app multitasking, I'm sure we will all be singing its praises!

As for slider or slate, in particular for handheld computing devices, not simple cell phones, it's slate all the way. Design matters. Apple got this right from the beginning with a symmetrical design in both axes so that one can use it in portrait or landscape without much visual or ergonomic annoyances. To this day, very few touch screen phones don't get this right. The only ones I can think of is Nokia's 5800 and N97.

The Palm Pre doubles up the minuses by it being both a portrait slider and an asymmetric design about the vertical axis. It simply won't be that much fun to use in landscape with one end being bigger than the other and having to rotate to portrait to enter text. I'd bet that not many people will be using the Pre in landscape orientation.

Also think about the T-Mobile/Google G1, a horizontal slider. 8 months ago when it debuted, it's hard keyboard was one of its vaunted, key advantages over the iPhone. Today, Google updated the Android OS with an onscreen keyboard and the HTC Magic/T-Mobile myTouch 3G only has an onscreen keyboard for text input. What happened to the great advantage that was the hard keyboard?! Unfortunately, HTC/Google/T-Mobile continues to make the mistake of not have symmetrical design in both axes.

And I didn't even touch the tradeoffs in durability.

It seems that people who are used to hard qwerty keyboards from previous phones, and did well with them, like hard keyboards better than virtual ones.

But people who never had a smartphone with a hard qwerty keyboard find a virtual one about as good, or better.

It's true that having a hard keyboard limits input to one orientation. It's generally been considered to be much better to have a landscape keyboard.

Every phone that has a clamshell arrangement or has had a slide out keyboard, until now, has had them in landscape mode. This goes way back to the Psion.

The idea was always to get the keyboard as wide as possible.

The original Blackberry's all had wide landscape formats, because they were first and foremost typing machines. The more "phone-like" they got, the narrower the keyboards got. Harder to type on, but more consumer friendly in shape.

While there are a few who can type better on the narrow keyboards, they are few.

The Pre has been criticized for going this way.

But virtual keyboards are more useful, no matter how you look at it.
  • Reply 339 of 366
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think a lot of the argument about the iPhone when it first came out. Was that Apple was starting the foundation of their platform. Apple said from the beginning it was a start that they would build from. When people criticized they could not appreciate Apple's long term strategy. Which is now coming to fruition.

I think the problem with Pre supporters is they try too hard to compare the first generation Pre to the third generation iPhone. They built up the expectation that the Pre was going to be just as good on its first version.

I don't think iPhone supporters have problems with multi-tasking directly. Many of us have said we want it. We just don't want it at the expense of battery life as the Pre has proven.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

• Reply 340 of 366
    Quote:

I

While there are a few who can type better on the narrow keyboards, they are few.

While there are a many who can't type better on the narrow keyboards, they are many.