First iPhone ads published on Apple.com (Coming June 29)

Comments

• Reply 101 of 133
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Sorry but that's wrong! GPS doesn't require 24 satellites and it can use triangulation techniques with 3 satellites in exactly the same way as you would from telecoms masts. GPS receivers will try and lock on to as many of the 27 GPS satellites in orbit (24 are in use with 3 set as backup) as possible to generate the most accurate triangulation point.

While GPS operation COULD be used with communication to only 3 satellites, it would be less accurate. For one, just because of the satellites times are not exactly perfect, and because of the time delay between communication. The NAVSTAR is the only fully functional Global Navigation Satellite System, which uses a minimum of 24 satellites. Of course, each individual GPS receiver wouldn't be able to contact each of the satellites directly, but there must be a minimum of 24 satellites provide full coverage for the entire globe. You can't really say that GPS would only work with three satellites because then it would only be available to certain locations at certain times (the range of the orbital period for middle Earth orbit satellites is 2-12 hours).
  • Reply 102 of 133
    The image alt text for all three ads is, "Calamari ad."

They aren't all the calamari ad...
  • Reply 103 of 133
    Does anyone else have the experience of clicking on any of 3 ads on the Apple website and getting only "Download QuickTime" link. Needless to say, I have QT, but can't view the ads. Does this just mean too many people are trying to download them now, or something else?
  • Reply 104 of 133
    I know fo show that i phone has gps or some type of positioning devise. If you watch calimary when the info on the see food place pops up in the bottom corner there is a directions to here window. If you need directions to there they need to know where you are.
  • Reply 105 of 133
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Hey, you know, with this whole moving buttons thing, it just reminds me of MS's anti-trust trial and their presnetations where a video of the difficulties of using Windows without IE showed icons on the desktop moving around and appearing/disappearing. It made the whole presentation laughable.

Maybe its a homage?
  • Reply 106 of 133
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by berkowit28 View Post

Does anyone else have the experience of clicking on any of 3 ads on the Apple website and getting only "Download QuickTime" link. Needless to say, I have QT, but can't view the ads. Does this just mean too many people are trying to download them now, or something else?

I think you need Windows Media Player to see them.
  • Reply 107 of 133
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by berkowit28 View Post

I had that last night. Going back and refreshing solved the problem.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by golffreak_199 View Post

I know fo show that i phone has gps or some type of positioning devise. If you watch calimary when the info on the see food place pops up in the bottom corner there is a directions to here window. If you need directions to there they need to know where you are.

Knowing where one is do not GPS make. For instance, all cell phones have different modes like, home, office, silent, etc. With these configurable options you can choose your ringtone, volume and vibrate mode. Would it be nothing for Apple to integrate these default setting with your AddressBook info. When you choose Home, OS X's implementation of Google Maps auto-assumes you are at the address specified in your AddressBook entry.

I'm not saying that is how it was done, just floating a possible solution that, to me, is simple, elegant and very Apple-like.
  • Reply 108 of 133
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

While GPS operation COULD be used with communication to only 3 satellites, it would be less accurate. For one, just because of the satellites times are not exactly perfect, and because of the time delay between communication. The NAVSTAR is the only fully functional Global Navigation Satellite System, which uses a minimum of 24 satellites. Of course, each individual GPS receiver wouldn't be able to contact each of the satellites directly, but there must be a minimum of 24 satellites provide full coverage for the entire globe. You can't really say that GPS would only work with three satellites because then it would only be available to certain locations at certain times (the range of the orbital period for middle Earth orbit satellites is 2-12 hours).

I guess we both meant the same thing then. Apologies for miss reading your post, although you can get a perfectly accurate reading when locked on to 3+ satellites.
  • Reply 109 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had that last night. Going back and refreshing solved the problem.

Knowing where one is do not GPS make. For instance, all cell phones have different modes like, home, office, silent, etc. With these configurable options you can choose your ringtone, volume and vibrate mode. Would it be nothing for Apple to integrate these default setting with your AddressBook info. When you choose Home, OS X's implementation of Google Maps auto-assumes you are at the address specified in your AddressBook entry.

I'm not saying that is how it was done, just floating a possible solution that, to me, is simple, elegant and very Apple-like.

Or just cell phone tower triangulation. That is accurate up to 100 meters.
  • Reply 110 of 133
    I called AT&T today to ask them about being able to renew my contract and buy an iPhone. The guy told me, after saying that it's usually 18 months into the contract when you can, "But we might have something special going on with the iPhone." I asked him what and he said he couldn't say anything...?
  • Reply 111 of 133
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,903member
    So what are the monthly charges going to be for service on this thing? I find it odd that AT&T has said nothing about that. I don't really know what a cell phone costs per month, but I figure it will at least $50/month.
  • Reply 112 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Is it me or does the phone seem a bit smaller than the one Steve was using?

Maybe Steve has smaller hands.=)
  • Reply 113 of 133
    danrybdanryb Posts: 2member
    Well for what it's worth, I called at&t customer service. I'm sure they don't know too much of what's going on but I had to call for curiousity's sake.

Anyway, I told them I just started a 2 yr contract this past April and that I realize it's not old enough for a "contract extension." She said that that doesn't matter because they were told there will not be any discounts/rebates on the phone. It would be $499 or $599 regardless of "brand-new" contract or existing user. So I thanked her, hung up, and called my local Cingular store (Middletown, CT). I asked if they were doing a waiting list and she said that they were. She also said something like "I don't know if you heard or not but it is being released June 29th." I told her I read online and saw the ads and asked if that was the date they'd definitely be available in store? She said yes. I put my name on the waiting list and asked her the same question about my plan being new. She told me the same thing, that the iPhone was not being sold like other phones in the market, that it was those prices for anyone who purchases one. I would just have to get a new agreement and a new plan, which she did say they had no information about yet.

Whether this is true or not, I can only hope. At least I'm 2nd on their waiting list! =)

Has anyone else called corporate customer service or local stores?
  • Reply 114 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanRyb View Post

Well for what it's worth, I called at&t customer service. I'm sure they don't know too much of what's going on but I had to call for curiousity's sake.

Anyway, I told them I just started a 2 yr contract this past April and that I realize it's not old enough for a "contract extension." She said that that doesn't matter because they were told there will not be any discounts/rebates on the phone. It would be $499 or $599 regardless of "brand-new" contract or existing user. So I thanked her, hung up, and called my local Cingular store (Middletown, CT). I asked if they were doing a waiting list and she said that they were. She also said something like "I don't know if you heard or not but it is being released June 29th." I told her I read online and saw the ads and asked if that was the date they'd definitely be available in store? She said yes. I put my name on the waiting list and asked her the same question about my plan being new. She told me the same thing, that the iPhone was not being sold like other phones in the market, that it was those prices for anyone who purchases one. I would just have to get a new agreement and a new plan, which she did say they had no information about yet.

Whether this is true or not, I can only hope. At least I'm 2nd on their waiting list! =)

same price for pay as you go and post paid as the 2 year price?
  • Reply 115 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanRyb View Post

well thats a relief. All a costumer service guy told me was that they were doing something special for the iphone and people with existing contracts that want one. I guess that could be it...?
  • Reply 116 of 133
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Jeff Goldblum... GOLDBLUM. Not 'bloom'. Don't tell me you actually bought the domain for his misspelled name? \

Sorry, I'm not the president of his fanclub, just a guy trying to take a cheap shot at a guy that played a fly and did voiceovers for Apple commercials.

Perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us with your Jeff Goldblum knowledge.

No money has been spent on Jeff or the fake domain name... HA

• Reply 117 of 133
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridedasupabus View Post

well thats a relief. All a costumer service guy told me was that they were doing something special for the iphone and people with existing contracts that want one. I guess that could be it...?

As a long time Treo user and forum regular, I can tell you that Cingular Reps almost NEVER know what they're talking about. I'm not saying any of what she said will be wrong; I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt.

As far as waiting lists go, AT&T was specifically told NOT to create waiting lists, so there's also a good chance that this list will be thrown in the garbage on launch day without notice.

Don't want to rain on your parade. Just speaking from past experience with Cingular.
  • Reply 118 of 133
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by golffreak_199 View Post

The "Directions to Here" button could just as easily bring down a text input box for you to fill in your origin address, like it does in many other versions of Google Maps. Otherwise, what good would it be for people who want to figure out directions for someone else who is starting from somewhere else?
  • Reply 119 of 133
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    It is worth mentioning that the EXIF info in the leaked iPhone images had the location entry. Those images could be fake but some guys found that Leopards's iPhoto can actually use this information. Don't have the time to search all this stuff. Some of you know the links and will kindly post them here
  • Reply 120 of 133
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh man.... the stock is up $2.50 on just a set of new ads and news about the release date!?

How crazy is that?

We'd better head for the doors if the iPhone bombs (not that I am saying or hoping it will.... just worried about all this volatility).

I can't really cry about any possible dips... I bought in at $74, and thought that was maybe too late to get really major returns. Apple proved me wrong, and how.