Apple unveils near final version of Mac OS X Leopard

Comments

• Reply 61 of 150
    psilopsilo Posts: 7member
    YOU ALL SUCK!

everyone expects everything ever rumored immediately made available by the end of every keynote. everyone's disappointed or let down.

if you would just wait a week, you'd think, "hey apple is in a better position now that they have safari on windows." and when they're ready they'll be releasing the new imac for back to school buyers. hasn't anyone listened to apple when they stopped attending MacWorld's to make product announcements?

The "little" things they announced are all just another small step in the right direction and in my mind they're ahead of the competition in a lot of ways.

The ONE thing i really sorta expected to be detailed was support for ZFS, but maybe steve is being spiteful now that sun spilled the beans early. ZFS is going to be a MAJOR step ahead for OS X and apple and it will be overlooked just the same as every other innovation announced as becoming a part of OS X today. Every one of you rumor mongers expect HUGE product updates and LOWER prices, Apple never did HUGE updates, never did LOW prices and they never will!

and you know everyone should be way more appreciative of what we have when we buy our macs... those with the ball n chain, microsoft, get nothing but security updates between every OS upgrade every 5 years, that then breaks their systems anyway.
  • Reply 62 of 150
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nah. This is typical... buy (pump up the stock) on the rumors, sell on the news. Nothing new here.

Another big factor is June AAPL Option expirations this friday. If the Hedge funds have a big position on being able to sell the stock at $125 on friday (when its price is ~$120), then they will sell (at a profit) some of their horde of stock to keep the price below $125. They make money both ways.Option expiration fridays historically produce strange gyrations in stock movement during that week especially for rocket stocks like AAPL. Ill informed AAPL option investors who thought the stock would easily zoom past $125 because of all the iPhone and WWDC hype may take a serious bath this week. The hedgies rule this game. For AAPL investors, sit tight and wait at least til next week before doing anything.
  • Reply 63 of 150
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Leopard has over 300 new features. For me, a huge part of what makes the upgrade worthwhile is not the huge super-hyped mega features but the little "attention to detail" features, which Leopard is sure to be filled with.

And you really can't complain about the big features. They are signifficant -- they should improve usability and navigation for one. Stop pissing and moaning, seriously.

What would you have liked Apple to include that they didn't????????????? (And how do you know they didn't include these features-- keep in mind they could be unannounced like ZFS)

I'm glad somebody here has actually counted them and not just quoted Apple's press releases!

And I'm 100% with you that we don't know just how many top secret invisible features Apple has included in Leopard.

For all we know there could be millions of them.

We are still months away from the October release date and personally I am hoping that Apple takes even more time. All those Windows users have held off buying Vista in anticipation, they won't mind a few more months. After all what do you want? A bug ridden release with only eye candy upgrades or a well tested OS with even more secret features?

The executives at Redmond are all panicking and selling off their stock options as we speak!
  • Reply 64 of 150
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Leopard has over 300 new features. For me, a huge part of what makes the upgrade worthwhile is not the huge super-hyped mega features but the little "attention to detail" features, which Leopard is sure to be filled with.

"Sure to be filled with"? I'm sorry, but I'll wait for the list. Because previous "150 new features" lists will filled with crap that really meant nothing to most people. Personally, I could care less about mail changes, since I don't use Mail as my mail program. Nor do I use iChat (sorry, no matter what I tell family and friends, they all keep buying PCs because they're 'on budgets' and can't afford macs. Everyone talks TCO, no one talks "credit card debt").

And Apple isn't the little detail company they used to be. It used to be they'd care about the users, make sure things worked, were consistent, etc. Its taken Apple 5 years to get back to 'consistent' (based so far on the screen shots, but everything is subject to change). And they've yet to fix the stupid finder bug that irritates the hell out of me, the "No one wants to keep "Calculate all sizes" turned on, so we'll automatically turn it off after a while" bug. Let alone worthless spinning beachballs because, heaven forbid, connecting to an iDisk or a new disk should be something one could do while performing other tasks. But why worry about these problems when you can splash on a new sidebar!
  • Reply 65 of 150
    I think that the new top secret features (if these really are the top secret features or if apple are just playing with our minds) are a bit of a let down I must say. But I must agree when some say that we expected to much hype and wanted to believe everything rumour sites have told us.

But don't get me wrong, I think Leopard will be a great Operating System, plus I believe the web-site does say something about features are subject to change, but who knows. I hope Apple does add some newer features but for now I think they're pretty good and we will all learn to love Leopard. I must say before learning of the first set features for Leopard, I wondered to myself, what more could apple add to the already great OS??? But I was amazed by what they came up with!!!

Is the Safari3Beta what we're to expect from the new safari or are they giving us a full feature when Leopard comes out, cause by the looks of it, it's pretty much the same. Also the windows version doesn't have the same UI as we do, it doesn't have the same brushed metal look, which I thought might be apart of it.

I was also wondering if anyone new where I can find out the System Requirements for Leopard, I want to know if my iBookG4 1ghz will run Leopard or not, I hope so!!!
  • Reply 66 of 150
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

"Sure to be filled with"? I'm sorry, but I'll wait for the list. Because previous "150 new features" lists will filled with crap that really meant nothing to most people. Personally, I could care less about mail changes, since I don't use Mail as my mail program. Nor do I use iChat (sorry, no matter what I tell family and friends, they all keep buying PCs because they're 'on budgets' and can't afford macs. Everyone talks TCO, no one talks "credit card debt").

And Apple isn't the little detail company they used to be. It used to be they'd care about the users, make sure things worked, were consistent, etc. Its taken Apple 5 years to get back to 'consistent' (based so far on the screen shots, but everything is subject to change). And they've yet to fix the stupid finder bug that irritates the hell out of me, the "No one wants to keep "Calculate all sizes" turned on, so we'll automatically turn it off after a while" bug. Let alone worthless spinning beachballs because, heaven forbid, connecting to an iDisk or a new disk should be something one could do while performing other tasks. But why worry about these problems when you can splash on a new sidebar!

I think you missed my point. I wasn't talking about stationary or to-dos in mail as small features. In fact, those are the over-hyped rather useless features. I'm talking about the little changes. The button that's here instead of there... the thumbnail that's just that much better, the preference that gives you just *that* much more flexability, the hidden underpinnings of the OS, the extra speed or performance boost, the pop=up dictionary that allows you to look up the definition of a word in a flash...
  • Reply 67 of 150
    Some people will always be "under-impressed" or dissatisfied or "under-whelmed" or find fault with anything Apple does. That's life.

I I have been looking through the Leopard pages on Apple.com and know that I will upgrade in the fall for one computer, then my main computers after the first update. It has a lot of functionality that will help me (a creative professional) create more quickly. QuickLook is awesome and that this can be done in CoverView is nice for when I need to show off to the boss; QuickView alone is worth the cost to me. Spaces will make my desktop far less cluttered than it is now (my old machine had virtual desktop software but it wasn't stable so I ditched it).

The new synth voice, Alex is AWESOME and something I will use daily. I am very, very tired of Fred.

All in all, a good update for $129.
  • Reply 68 of 150
    Oh you guys know that in order to run Leopard you'll need a 64-bit processor since there's no 32-bit version!! Which means everyone with a G4 or intel core duo will need a new mac with a g5 or core 2 duo intel processor. You can't do I little upgrade like more memory like you could in Vista. Kinda ironic isn't it how the commercial says that you'll need major surgery (which was an exaggeration you only need 1gb of ram even though you could sneek by with 512( not recommended)) to run vista but in order to run Leopard they'll need a new computer. You tell me which is more expensive.

Fir more clarification the Core Duo is just 32bit and not 64 like the core 2 duo. So how does it feel to have laughed at the windoze fools having to go through "major surgery" in order to run vista but you with your Mactel you bought in 2006 can't run leopard in 2007 and must buy a brand new computer no little upgrade is available for you!!

yeah let that sink in!! The irony is so thick you could cut it with a knife!!!
  • Reply 69 of 150
    Leopard, at first, seemed blah. The nothing new -- besides three features. But the ones that we did see, the desktop, the finder and the quick look, seem respectable. And stackables is my new best friend -- I hate a mess on my desktop, just ask my girlfriend. Now I don't need folders, nor do I need to open a new window to look at the folders I frequent.

Is Leopard worth a delay? Not yet. Is it worth buying when it comes out? I think so.
  • Reply 70 of 150
    Does anyone know if the new Finder has tabs (like Path Finder). If not, why not?
  • Reply 71 of 150
    I get an odd feeling the Apple is really working hard on something that they aren't showing yet, and might not for another year.

Just a feeling.
  • Reply 72 of 150
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    So many newbies on the boards... guess that's good for the future of AAPL...
  • Reply 73 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psilo View Post

YOU ALL SUCK!

everyone expects everything ever rumored immediately made available by the end of every keynote. everyone's disappointed or let down.

The ONE thing i really sorta expected to be detailed was support for ZFS

Relax, Pizmo. I think most of us have come to take it for granted that a big, headline-grabbing splash should be expected at every Jobsnote. I'm pretty underwhelmed by today's news, as most people seem to be. Granted that there appears to be a lot of enhancing and back-end adjustments of the OS, but after all the keynote speeches have typically been directed more at what consumers are interested and less at developers. Remember that Jobs made a big deal of the "Top Secret Features in Leopard" last fall... and he made a jab about not having Redmond start their photocopiers too soon. Would you honestly say that anything we saw today is something that Microsoft would crap their pants over?

I'm sure there are a lot of little bits n' pieces that Steve either glossed over or skipped entirely. There were a lot of rumored things that weren't mentioned, such as resolution-independent graphics. I would really like to see a list of these "300 new features & enhancements" -- does anyone know if Apple ever does or would post something like this? Personally, I was really hoping they were going to tear the lid of something groundbreaking, like a multi-touch interface. The thing about Apple though (at least w/ Jobs running the show), is that they DO NOT hesitate to shelf what they've been cooking if it's either half-baked or the timing isn't right for it to hit market. I think it's even possible that blaming the delay of 10.5 on the iPhone may have been a ruse to stall for time to get some incredible new technology working right for the WWDC demo, couldn't get the bugs worked out in time, and chose to leave it out of this OS version.
  • Reply 74 of 150
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielsmi View Post

Oh you guys know that in order to run Leopard you'll need a 64-bit processor since there's no 32-bit version!! Which means everyone with a G4 or intel core duo will need a new mac with a g5 or core 2 duo intel processor.

Doesn't seem to be the case. The Leopard preview for developers runs on G4, G5, and any Intel, apparently:

Mac OS X Leopard Developer Preview System Requirements

I have found out that on the Mac OS X Leopard Developer Preview DVD, handed-out to developers at WWDC, there is a file called Read Before You Install. In this file it says:

You must have a Macintosh computer with:

* an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 or G5 processor

* a DVD drive

* built-in FireWire

* at least 256 MB of RAM for a Power-PC based Mac and 512 MB for an Intel-based Mac (additional RAM is recommended for development purposes)

* a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer

* at least 6 GB of disk space available, or 8 GB if you install the developer tools

http://theplaceforitall.com/105requirements.html

• Reply 75 of 150
    did anyone else notice that an iSight camera was attached to the monitor in Job's keynote

wasnt that discontinued
  • Reply 76 of 150
    This forum is doing some weeeeeeeird-ass reshuffling of posts right now.
  • Reply 77 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome10 View Post

did anyone else notice that an iSight camera was attached to the monitor in Job's keynote

wasnt that discontinued

It was, last time I looked.

• Reply 78 of 150
    thininethinine Posts: 71member
    No, it also lets you control their machine.
  • Reply 79 of 150
    Some folks are complaining that the Leopard features aren't a big enough improvement, but what about speed?

One thing that people always seem to leave out/forget with OS X updates is that the speed of the OS always seems to improve quite a bit. Remember?:

10.0: Icebergs move faster. Dear God.

10.1: A bit better, but still way too slooooooow

10.2: The first release that was truly day-in, day-out usuable, speedwise

10.3: Not bad at all.

10.4: Good, and gettin' closer to 'teh snappy', but still not quite lightning.

If Leopard is lightning, or close, that alone is a major reason for me to get it.

Of course, I am more impatient than some.

• Reply 80 of 150
    wgauvinwgauvin Posts: 100member
    Can someone tell me what happened to the Dashboard button on the Dock? None of the pics I've seen have it. Does this relate to that Dashboard will be integrated into Finder? Or is Stacks going to be the place where widgets will hide? Or has the dashboard been just relegated to F12 keyboard shortcut and there is no dock icon? I think the later is true, but interesting to note.
This discussion has been closed.