Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer

Comments

• Reply 61 of 171
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

yeah, why would apple start making cameras? idiot.

they should get MORE involved in the video game market instead -

imagine halo3 with a one-button mouse.

the new imac is going to be a disappointment to everyone who posts here.

all i ever read is omfg they didn't add this or omfg i can't believe they added that 3 month old tech when something newer is out.

wahh wahh wahh 2.5" drive. it's a CONSUMER mac: for aunt flo to surf the web once a month and organize all the pictures her kids email her.

you want pro, get a ... what's that computer called? ohh yeah, MAC PRO.

The problem is there's not much choice between the crappy non-upgradeable mini, the non-upgradeable iMac, and the out-of-reach of most upgradeable Mac Pro. Why in the h*ll do you think people are so weary about buying a new Mac that they will hold out for months hoping their old one will hang on long enough for the upgraded model to be released? Because they don't want to get screwed buying something that is instantly obsolete because they know they're not going to be able to upgrade. Doesn't seem unreasonable that people would want the same capabilities you can get from a $400 PC on a $1200 Mac, even if it is a CONSUMER Mac.

And just so we can continue the 12-year-old antics: You're a moron.
  • Reply 62 of 171
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

wahh wahh wahh 2.5" drive. it's a CONSUMER mac: for aunt flo to surf the web once a month and organize all the pictures her kids email her.

Do you really think that the lowest common denominator user of a product category's intended market defines the entire category?

Do you really think that there aren't a lot of consumers with lots of data to store? Maybe you should ask a computer retailer which size drives most people buy. If consumers didn't buy many of the larger physical sized hard drives, then the consumer retailers wouldn't waste half an aisle with them.

Do you really think that people want to spend $1000 more just for the favor of storing a decent amount of data?
  • Reply 63 of 171
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

I agree. Those people will never know the pleasure...

Why are you so obsessed with this? I've read your other posts, and sadly there is not one polite word in any of them. All mean hearted. What is your problem?
  • Reply 64 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Because they don't want to get screwed buying something that is instantly obsolete because they know they're not going to be able to upgrade.

Computers aren't made obsolete when a newer model comes out. Obsolescence takes time and occurs at different times and at different rates for various parts of a computer. Examples are the 5.25" floppy drive, Parallel cables, etc.

Now, the process of obsolescing is what you may be referring to. For example, You could say the Power Mac G5 is 'obsolescing' because the hardware specs are being overshadowed my new component several years newer in design and because software support for PPC apps are starting to fade.

But to say that your Napa platform MacBook Pro is now "obsolete" because Apple released a new Santa Rosa platform MacBook Pro is just asinine.

Is my 7.1MP camera obsolete because they just released a new 8.1MP version?

Is my one year old car now obsolete because they just released a newer version with 20 extra Hp?
  • Reply 65 of 171
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

Great idea! Here is my mock-up for the next iMac.

Very funny! Now imagine a much smaller rectangular base with maybe just a power supply and a serial ATA HDD.

• Reply 66 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I hope they redesign the Apple Remote (no irony involved here)! Something offering you a nano-esque user experience with click wheel!

I've always wondered why the damn remote hasn't had a click wheel. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Any why doesn't it fit in the express card slot?
  • Reply 67 of 171
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,006member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Very funny! Now imagine a much smaller rectangular base with maybe just a power supply and a serial ATA HDD.

Yeah. In my head I was thinking of the latest new Apple hardware designs--the AppleTV, the the Airport, and even the ill fated Mini. They all have the same rectangular shape.

So what you indicate had already occurred to me.

However, I cannot come up with an image of a rectangular base with a screen sticking out that doesn't strike me as incredibly awkward. I dunno, maybe I just don't have the visual creativity, but it just doesn't feel right to me...
  • Reply 68 of 171
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

You're the idiot.

I'm rubber, you're glue, nah na nah na nah nah...
  • Reply 69 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

I've always wondered why the damn remote hasn't had a click wheel. Seems like a step backwards to me.

Any why doesn't it fit in the express card slot?

What would you do if you had an express card in the express card slot?

My buddy has an Acer laptop with exactly this problem...
  • Reply 70 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

haha Did it really take you so long before noticing his irony Oh and by the by, does anyone have a clue what they're talking about?

[/url]

Was he being sardonic? Seems to me he's got jokes about Apple. That's not right, yo!

Quote:

yeah, why would apple start making cameras? idiot.

they should get MORE involved in the video game market instead -

imagine halo3 with a one-button mouse.

the new imac is going to be a disappointment to everyone who posts here.

all i ever read is omfg they didn't add this or omfg i can't believe they added that 3 month old tech when something newer is out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I know you're being sardonic but I'd like to point out to those whose Apple history is contained within this century that Apple has indeed made cameras

? Apple QuickTake 100, 150 & 200 with 640x480 resolution. Circa 1994?1997. Conected via RS-232 cable.

? Quicktime Video Conferencing Camera 100 with ISDN connectivity for $1800. Circa 1995?1997. I set up a lot of ISDN Video Conferencing appliances back in the day and $1800 was not a bad price; it's the per minute ISDN charges that would get you.

? And of course the internal and external iSIght Camera.

Yeah, I was thinking about the iSight Camera when he tried to make a joke about apple making cameras. I thought that anyone who paid attention to recent Apple news would know about the iSight. Didn't know about the QuickTake though... Were there many digital cameras back then? Sounds like one of those ill-fated attempts by Apple to create a new market before the technology had developed enough to really make it work.
  • Reply 71 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Were there many digital cameras back then? Sounds like one of those ill-fated attempts by Apple to create a new market before the technology had developed enough to really make it work.

nail + head

PS: Am I going crazy or did the Apple Insider forum revert to an older version of vBulletin in the last 30 minutes?
  • Reply 72 of 171
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

nail + head

PS: Am I going crazy or did the Apple Insider forum revert to an older version of vBulletin in the last 30 minutes?

Well they're gone back to the old buttons, these forums were very unreliable these past few days.
  • Reply 73 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well their gone back to the old buttons, these forums were very unreliable these past few days.

It's the old buttons images i noticed but I figured that they reverted to an older vBulletin in order to correct the issues at hand as I can't imagine changing a few GIFs will fix AI's forum problems.
  • Reply 74 of 171
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Obsolete? Any computer that doesn't have a graphics card capable of running currently popular games is obsolete before it even ships. Games are consumer products. Consumers should not have to buy a Pro workstation just to be able to play them.
  • Reply 75 of 171
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,388moderator
    "Those same people add that the Cupertino-based Mac maker may also have a few smaller surprises in store for fans of its Mac line around the same time."

Maybe I'm reading into this too much but this looks very interesting because is it that the surprise is small or is it something small that will cause surprise? It's not a new ipod as it's in the Mac line so it can only be a small notebook (possibly tablet) or a cube to replace the Mini and 17" iMac. It says surprises so I'm guessing it has to be both. If so, that would make up for absolutely all the crap we've had this entire year.
  • Reply 76 of 171
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

It's the old buttons images i noticed but I figured that they reverted to an older vBulletin in order to correct the issues at hand as I can't imagine changing a few GIFs will fix AI's forum problems.

I can't either, but a quick spin over to V will show you they seem to be on the current version.
  • Reply 77 of 171
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    [QUOTE=mr O;1098601]haha Did it really take you so long before noticing his irony Oh and by the by, does anyone have a clue what they're talking about?

Well I would say that somebody didn't know that the very first consumer digital camera ever to be sold was made by Apple? The Apple Quicktake.
  • Reply 78 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Obsolete? Any computer that doesn't have a graphics card capable of running currently popular games is obsolete before it even ships. Games are consumer products. Consumers should not have to buy a Pro workstation just to be able to play them.

How many frames per second do you want this game to be? 135 fps? I've seen some games run on a MacBook Pro or iMac and do pretty well, just not cutting-edge.

This is a problem I see now that Macs are starting to be adopted by more people... former Windows users are comparing their Mac experience with their Windows gaming experience and are so used to building their own machines or dreaming of building their own machines and complain ALL the time and us pre-Intel Mac users have to hear it all over every forum.
  • Reply 79 of 171
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Well may be they should at least bundle Gefore 8700M in every new iMac then to push up the gfx abality on Mac platform.

Intel Intergated GFx sucks and it is about time apple do something about it.
  • Reply 80 of 171
    I have the perfect application for a 20-inch iMac.

I just need to have it be VESA mountable.