When will there be a new iPhone??

Comments

• Reply 41 of 230
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Where was that stated I must have missed it.
  • Reply 42 of 230
    Jobs said it to that Pogue fella. Dont have the quote.

But anyway.....................

Ok ive got some major news. 2 new phones will be announced at macworld in Jan. One high end - the true sucessor to iphone and a cheaper more affordable alternative.

It will however be made at Quanta technologies. The current one is made at Foxlink factories in China.
  • Reply 43 of 230
    Quote:

I don't remember reading that. The only interview I can find between Jobs and Pogue is after the US iPhone launch. Apple did not release a sales forecast for its US launch. I cannot find where they gave any forecast for Europe.
  • Reply 44 of 230
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Apple never gives sales forecasts at all. The closest you'll get is quarterly guidance, which would require quite a bit of creative thinking.

Even the 10m units in 2008 is stated as a goal and not a sales forecast.
  • Reply 45 of 230
    Wow. I started this forum to find out when a new iphone would come out and what some of the new features would be and we have gotten over 2 pages of replies! Thank you everybody!

Keep all the replies coming!
  • Reply 46 of 230
    I think the cheaper of the 2 devices to be announced in Jan should incorporate all the existing features of iphone.

Im told that apart from an improved camera and faster connectivity there will be at least 2 more gestures aswell.
  • Reply 47 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

But anyway.....................

Ok ive got some major news. 2 new phones will be announced at macworld in Jan. One high end - the true sucessor to iphone and a cheaper more affordable alternative.

It will however be made at Quanta technologies. The current one is made at Foxlink factories in China.

Yeah, I agree. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Although I don't agree with a scroll-wheel designed iPhone nano, I will say that I could see Apple coming out with an iPhone that is smaller in size, but still maintains a touch screen. For Apple to bring the scroll wheel to a cell phone would be silly to say the least... and yes I know all about the correlating patent... however I think it was probably just a game Apple was playing to throw off its competitors. I'm thinking just a basic iPod/ phone convergence device. No data plan necessary.

Anyways, while most of the stuff on this website is speculative, where did you obtain this "news" ... or is it just a guess.
  • Reply 48 of 230
    Call it an "informed" guess.
  • Reply 49 of 230
    IMO, the best part about the IPhone is the browser. It's brilliant and unique. The actual phone .. well.. not so much. Not sure how much UK demand there would be for a sub par phone and iPod if you are still tied to O2 and their higher tariffs.
  • Reply 50 of 230
    Well, it's been in the rumors lately that a prospective Gen 2 iPhone will occur in mid/late Summer 08. This is based off of Samsung's flash memory supply guidance for 2008 where 1H 08 flash memory will be lower than predicted because Apple's iPhone Gen 2 release is being delayed from March/April to mid-Summer.
  • Reply 51 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Call it an "informed" guess.

Are you like this kid that said the 16GB iPhone was already in the stores... I certainly hope not.

Thanks for sharing the info if you do know whats up though.
  • Reply 52 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Are you like this kid that said the 16GB iPhone was already in the stores... I certainly hope not.

Thanks for sharing the info if you do know whats up though.

Anyone who fell for that 16GB Tmob iphone ad is obviously a few raisens short of a fruitcake.

THT You may well have it by this summer, right now Apple are basically looking at the launch strategy for the next 2 phones ie: US first then UK 6 months later or all in one?

To be honest I dont know if they have the manpower to handle a worldwide launch as before they had to shift people from the Leapord team just to finish iphone but both are just about ready to be introduced.

HyteProsector I dont know full details yet but just what im fed every few weeks but if I hear more ill give you guys the details. Its only a few weeks anyway so its not like a huge wait.
  • Reply 53 of 230
    Nice, the fact that you posted it inconspicuously in an old thread and didn't start it as a new thread has me believing you.
  • Reply 54 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

Well, it's been in the rumors lately that a prospective Gen 2 iPhone will occur in mid/late Summer 08. This is based off of Samsung's flash memory supply guidance for 2008 where 1H 08 flash memory will be lower than predicted because Apple's iPhone Gen 2 release is being delayed from March/April to mid-Summer.

IIRC didn't Steve himself say the Asian iPhone launch was mid 2008.

a) I don't think they'd launch a non-3G in Japan (but then I thought that in Europe too)

b) I don't think they'll go a whole year without updating the iPhone anyway. Phone technology moves much quicker than that. Nokia will probably have released 30 phones in the time Apple have done one.
  • Reply 55 of 230
    Quote:

IRC didn't Steve himself say the Asian iPhone launch was mid 2008.

He said 2008 but he did not give any specifics of when.

Quote:

I don't think they'll go a whole year without updating the iPhone anyway. Phone technology moves much quicker than that. Nokia will probably have released 30 phones in the time Apple have done one.

I think updates to the iPhone will be about the software more than the hardware.
  • Reply 56 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think updates to the iPhone will be about the software more than the hardware.

They've not been either so far.

I really don't see how they can go a year on that hardware. Not in Europe or Asia. USA, yes, not elsewhere.
  • Reply 57 of 230
    Quote:

They've not been either so far.

Its only been six months. Does Nokia routinely update the OS and apps on its phones at no extra cost within that time?

Quote:

I really don't see how they can go a year on that hardware. Not in Europe or Asia. USA, yes, not elsewhere.

Nokia's business model works around selling new features with new phones. Of course Apple will refresh the iPhone Steve said 3G is coming soon. But new features will come with software updates and not so dependent on new hardware.

In case you were wondering what people think of the iPhone in China .
  • Reply 58 of 230
    Quote:

Its only been six months. Does Nokia routinely update the OS and apps on its phones at no extra cost within that time?

Not sure if that was an actual question or just be sarcastic lol but the answer is no. Nokia always save new OS updates for new phones. 99% of the time the software updates are to improve on performance issues. However they did recently add a plug in for an n95 update allowing youtube videos to be browsed.

The thing most tech geeks and Nokia fans are most pissed off about is the fact that the iphone doesnt feature 3G. Bluetooth profiles, mms, video recording are also niggles but not as big a deal as no 3g but they will have a tough decision on their hands soon when Apple announces the iphone sucessor. Not sure if anyone keeps an eye on these things but there was a job advert for an imaging developer to work on a "phone" at Apple. It was posted not long after iphone was announced. Hint hint. You should at the very least see 3.2megapixels on the next iphone but to be honest it should be 5. Motorola will soon announce an 8MP cam phones co branded by Kodak and later on next year you will also see Nokias 8MP + OZ offering, not to mention Nokias own flagship touch s60 device.
  • Reply 59 of 230
    Quote:

Yes, they do. So do Sony Ericsson.

Here's SE's update service...

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/supp...ce?cc=gb&lc=en

I've had three OS updates and two free new apps, including a different day view app on my p910i. The standard home screen app wasn't unlike the iPhone's home screen - a grid of icons to click on with your finger. The new version more like Windows Mobile. They also had an app download service from day 1.

Quote:

Nokia's business model works around selling new features with new phones. Of course Apple will refresh the iPhone Steve said 3G is coming soon. But new features will come with software updates and not so dependent on new hardware.

It's a little difficult to discern a business model with Apple just yet with only one model of phone and no software updates to speak of, or a 3rd party market. It hasn't all gelled together yet. Software won't solve all of the shortcomings of which there are many. It's a major part of it sure, but only because they missed a lot of features in 1.0 that they can subsequently fix.

Really, I don't think it's that far fetched to predict Apple will have more models out relatively soon and then pick up pace from then on in to match other phone companies. If the existing iPhone hardware is ok for you and you want to bet on them solving software issues later then buy now, if not, wait.

Personally, I think it would be sensible to at least wait until the SDK is out in February if you're not happy with the glacial pace of software updates. Let the 3rd party market solve the issues Apple aren't.

Quote:

In case you were wondering what people think of the iPhone in China .

I wasn't really. But that kind of shows that the existing phone doesn't work well in China. It's a black market craze, not a product for the masses, and Apple have a way to go to turn a US product into a European or Chinese product.
  • Reply 60 of 230
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

IIRC didn't Steve himself say the Asian iPhone launch was mid 2008.

a) I don't think they'd launch a non-3G in Japan (but then I thought that in Europe too)

b) I don't think they'll go a whole year without updating the iPhone anyway. Phone technology moves much quicker than that. Nokia will probably have released 30 phones in the time Apple have done one.

Jobs said 2008, not mid-2008. By implication, mid-2008 would be a good guess as he said European phone in Q4 07, and it would makes sense to have an Asian phone in mid-2008.

The Samsung flash thing stated explicitly that Samsung was expecting Apple to launch a new iPhone in March/April, but is was delayed to mid-2008, and thus they would have an oversupply. Who knows, this could just be Samsung's excuse for their bad planning with flash production, and they really have no idea what Apple's plans are.

Mid-2008 isn't all that surprising to have constrained supplies for flash. Holiday season is ramping up and all the electronic gadget companies want flash chips.