Sources: MacBook Air battery replacements take only minutes

Comments

• Reply 81 of 222
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

If offered immortality I wouldn't give a rat's arse about the MacBook Air, or Apple for that matter.

Are you sure? As Woody Allen once pointed out: "Eternity is a very, very long time. Especially towards the end..."

• Reply 82 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

It's already overpriced so what's a few more dollars? Besides, it would may the unit more salable. And Apple can sell you spare overpriced batteries, so what's the issue? Period.

I don't get it - the competitor's ultra-compact models (like Sony's Vaio TV) sell for nearly $3,000 and come with smaller screens and 30% less processing power and the Air is overpriced? Time for a reality check...
  • Reply 83 of 222
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,347moderator
    $129 seems expensive and at first you might think that Apple are forcing people to pay up more by sealing the battery in. But looking at PC laptop batteries, they cost around the same, sometimes more so it's not an overpriced replacement.

The problem yet again with Apple is the down-time. It's not a trivial thing to send away a business computer for 5 working days minimum with important information on it. Business users usually have some sort of tech support who can handle simple jobs like this so a mail order kit would be much preferred as an option.

I hope the people arguing against the sealed battery realise that this is the same issue with the iMac's display btw.
  • Reply 84 of 222
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Anyone thinking of buying this slim jim?

Seriously... not a peep from anyone on this forum or anyone i've talked to is pre-ordering or even interested.

Maybe people will be interested when they actually get to see one in real life.
  • Reply 85 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I hope the people arguing against the sealed battery realise that this is the same issue with the iMac's display btw.

Batteries generally die a lot quicker than LCDs do. All notebooks have a hard to deal with display, but that's not really a problem, they can last a very long time.
  • Reply 86 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I have bought just about one of every iteration since January, 1984. Love my MacBook Pro, but would have rather had this one on my last trip to Shanghai.

What really impressed me was when Jobs showed the inside of the MacBook Air (1:02 mark of the Keynote), Job's comment that the battery would work wirelessly for 5 hours. Not sure just how large it is, but it certainly doesn't look typical in the photo.

Unreal how they got so much technology in such a tiny space. Can't wait to hear the whole story. Hope it doesn't take as long as the 'iPhone' did to come out.
  • Reply 87 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Ah, Wilc

(How did you manage to evade the 5-character requirement? I am impressed!)
  • Reply 88 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Seriously... not a peep from anyone on this forum or anyone i've talked to is pre-ordering or even interested.

Maybe people will be interested when they actually get to see one in real life.

OK, I'll say it for the third time: I'll be buying one for sure.

But only by June or so, since I want to get the Time Capsule and @TV in the next couple of months. Just spacing out my Apple purchases to about once a quarter (or less frequently, as I always do), that's all.
  • Reply 89 of 222
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, Wilc

(How did you manage to evade the 5-character requirement? I am impressed!)

The text equivalent for that smiley is ten characters.
  • Reply 90 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Those for whom the Air was designed will like it and buy it. Those for whom it was not designed will flame it for the sake of flaming.

Agree 100%. End of story.
  • Reply 91 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

• Reply 92 of 222
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heaven or las vegas View Post

Jesus prefers Zune.

Now don't be spreading sin with that foul mouth of yours boy! Go get a bar of soap!
  • Reply 93 of 222
    Quote:

You are, indeed, right! Thanks. (OK, that little benefit of doubt I was willing to give Wilco is now reset).
  • Reply 94 of 222
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    OK, people are turning essentialist. The MBA is a 1.0 product. I personally happen to think that it's a great 1.0 product, but only time will tell.

It's obvious that Apple decided to balance size, weight and ruggedness because those are all significant. It's obvious that Apple's designers felt that an inbuilt but easy to replace battery was a fair compromise for size, weight and cost. It's obvious that Steve is beyond pleased with the resulting product.

However, if it doesn't sells OK or even well and Apple hears a clamoring for a feature that they didn't anticipate, or whose importance they underestimated, then of course they'll go back to the drawing board. I'm sure they would rather sell a slightly heavier Air with FireWire and a removable battery than give up on the product altogether.

Only time will tell. Personally, I think they made a pretty good set of choices. I know a lot of people who could get a lot of use out of them.
  • Reply 95 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

OK, people are turning essentialist. The MBA is a 1.0 product. I personally happen to think that it's a great 1.0 product, but only time will tell.

It's obvious that Apple decided to balance size, weight and ruggedness because those are all significant. It's obvious that Apple's designers felt that an inbuilt but easy to replace battery was a fair compromise for size, weight and cost. It's obvious that Steve is beyond pleased with the resulting product.

However, if it doesn't sells OK or even well and Apple hears a clamoring for a feature that they didn't anticipate, or whose importance they underestimated, then of course they'll go back to the drawing board. I'm sure they would rather sell a slightly heavier Air with FireWire and a removable battery than give up on the product altogether.

Only time will tell. Personally, I think they made a pretty good set of choices. I know a lot of people who could get a lot of use out of them.

very well stated.

apple tv "take 2" is an example that apple listens to customer ... especially when they have to. One of apples problems with innovation is there is an expectation of significant innovation every time. The original mac/mac+ (i know i'm showing my age, but i bought both) were fantastically innovative and changed the world. I also bought the lazer. Also the first ipod was a very impressive product for the time. MB air looks and thinness are impressive, but there is nothing truly innovative on it except the cool gestures which i think will grow and become important on all computers. I'm guessing they put out the wrong product. but as you say time will tell. if unit sales are high and growing 4 months from now I think you will be correct.

the question is this. will this be a product like the ipod ... which had killer sales from day one ... or is the product another apple tv that needs to go back to the drawing board? unfotunately for apple the jury is still out.
  • Reply 96 of 222
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    People who are insistent that they need to "swap batteries" and thus carry an extra battery are obviously not concerned with weight, so this product isn't important to them. Buy a regular-sized laptop and swap batteries all you want. If you really need 15 continuous hours without AC power, go for it. How you are going to charge those 3 batteries is another story.

Apple always does market research, so they must have found that there is a demand for light weight, and not so much enthusiasm for a 10-inch or smaller screen. Makes sense to me. Obviously when they asked people to choose between a heavier/thicker laptop with swappable battery and a lighter/thinner without swappable battery, the focus groups chose lighter and thinner.

I especially like the comment about working in a factory with no AC power. What the hell kind of factory has no AC power? LOL

If a product is "missing" any features, those are the complaints raised. From reading these complaints, you'd think that people believe Apple should have made a thin and light computer with 5 USB ports, a "decent" GPU, expandable RAM, replaceable battery, DVD burner, EDVO, two FireWire ports, dual gigabit Ethernet, parallel port, docking station, and an all-in-one card reader as well as floppy drive. And for $499.

One post even wanted more ports and a smaller screen. Make up your mind.

On the other hand, if the product has every conceivable feature, complaints come that people don't want to pay for "something I won't use."

For all the complainers, you obviously do not need a lightweight laptop if you still want all those added items. Apple didn't discontinue the MacBook or the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 97 of 222
    Quote:

fascinating.
  • Reply 98 of 222
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I think that Apple should have made this a user replaceable component.... If it HAS to be replaced by a technician, they should have it where a person at the Genius Bar could do it. if it is that easy, all it takes is to do to a nearby Apple Store and have them do it while the person waits.

A computer that is meant for someone that travels shouldn't have to send it in and wait 5 business days.

This is ridiculous. Anyone should be able to go a local Apple Store and have it done.

Sorry Apple, I have to disagree with you guys on this one. Imagine the DHL bills? Wouldn't this reduce Greenhouse gas emissions if the user can get it done locally?
  • Reply 99 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I think that Apple should have made this a user replaceable component.... If it HAS to be replaced by a technician, they should have it where a person at the Genius Bar could do it. if it is that easy, all it takes is to do to a nearby Apple Store and have them do it while the person waits.

A computer that is meant for someone that travels shouldn't have to send it in and wait 5 business days.

This is ridiculous. Anyone should be able to go a local Apple Store and have it done.

Sorry Apple, I have to disagree with you guys on this one. Imagine the DHL bills? Wouldn't this reduce Greenhouse gas emissions if the user can get it done locally?

After reading the article, don't you think you could do it yourself? Certainly it doesn't take an Einstein to realize that any literate that knows how to use a screw driver could. Cripes, even then geeks at Best Buy could do it.
  • Reply 100 of 222
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Very shortly you will be able to purchase a third party replacement battery, packaged as a kit with the appropriate screw driver and directions.

If the article is correct, replacing the battery on the Air will be easier than an iPod, which already has a thriving after-market battery industry.

So: not quite as easy as popping in a second battery into a bay, but not that much harder, from the sound of it.

Plus, third party batts will be cheaper than Apple's.