Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Walmart is shocking news...

Huh?
  • Reply 1242 of 2639
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Like I've said Laserdisc went on for 20 years that way.

They never carried laserdiscs at the equivalent to Walmart back in the day (KMart?). Yes, I still have LDs and a semi-functional 704.

Blu-Ray is already far more successful than LD ever was.
  • Reply 1243 of 2639
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

They never carried laserdiscs at the equivalent to Walmart back in the day (KMart?). Yes, I still have LDs and a semi-functional 704.

Blu-Ray is already far more successful than LD ever was.

HD-DVD was far more successful in January 2008 than Laserdisc ever was.
  • Reply 1244 of 2639
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Walmart is shocking news, HD-DVD is F**KED, ahh well it REALLY is a DONE format.

No comment from Lens boy and Super Murch 180?

Walter I said HD DVD was dead since Warner left. I don't need to hear it because of fringe studios or companies like Niveus think they are actually important.

Losing Warner hurt more than gaining Paramount. End of story.
  • Reply 1245 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Microsoft is totally full of it. They over shipped through the holidays, (which is why their holiday sales were so high) and retailers have stockpiles of xbox 360's in all flavors laying around.

why are you such a fanboy? look at the level of sales during the holiday for the 360, sales not shipped units to retailers. look at the software sales, hell the 360 still had the most titles in this months top 10.

so the ps3 beats it out by a few thousand units for 1 month, one of the slowest months of the year for gaming. not like it hasn't won a month or two in the past before.

January sales 230k the 360 and 269k for the ps3 vs 1.03 million for the 360 in december and 528k for the ps3 in december.

get over your fanboy sh/t already, man.

there is no doubt bluray winning the format war is helping the Ps3 pick up steam right now. so, it has nothing to do with the PS3 being the better gaming machine, cuz as it stands its selection of exclusives and even third party games fail in comparison to the 360's. i'm waiting to see what microsofts answer to that will be in the future. i see a bluray player coming for the 360 very soon.
  • Reply 1246 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

why are you such a fanboy? look at the level of sales during the holiday for the 360, sales not shipped units to retailers. look at the software sales, hell the 360 still had the most titles in this months top 10.

so the ps3 beats it out by a few thousand units for 1 month, one of the slowest months of the year for gaming. not like it hasn't won a month or two in the past before.

January sales 230k the 360 and 269k for the ps3 vs 1.03 million for the 360 in december and 528k for the ps3 in december.

there is no doubt bluray winning the format war is helping the Ps3 pick up steam right now. so, it has nothing to do with the PS3 being the better gaming machine, cuz as it stands its selection of exclusives and even third party games fail in comparison to the 360's. i'm waiting to see what microsofts answer to that will be in the future. i see a bluray player coming for the 360 very soon.

Who's the fanboy?

PS3 is predicted to outsell the 360 this year, and take the lead out of all 3 consoles by 2011.

Why are you still here? Have some respect.

Are you a baseball fan? Just curious.

I still can't believe you. Congrats on trying.
  • Reply 1247 of 2639
    Quote:

If he gets over his, will you get over yours?

Probably not.

And Marz? Sorry about all that I've said. I can see where you're coming from.
  • Reply 1248 of 2639
    Quality of console games and previous months' sales history aside, the PS3's built-in ability to handle 50GB Blu-ray discs makes it a more future-forward device than the 360 now that there is a clear path for Blu-ray's advancement as the HD optical standard of the future.

How do you think MS will handle this: A new Xbox 720 with a Blu-ray/DVD player or will they simply replace the current 360's DVD drive with a Blu-ray/DVD drive? And, perhaps, make some modest hardware upgrades so they can market it under a slightly different moniker (e.g.: XBOX 360 Eliterist)?
  • Reply 1249 of 2639
    Quote:

You really need to get over this fanboy crap, this is a Blu-Ray thread. PS3 is a valid topic here, not 360.

Btw, obviously the 360 will have more games in the top ten, it has been out a full year long. Give your head a shake. MS has jammed the channels to the tits with units and can't get anymore out to the retailers. Expect PS3 sales higher than 360 from here on out. There is a trend (at least where I am) to rent/buy more PS3 games, it is quite surprising actually.

I believe price is the major factor in the turn around for the PS3, hitting $399 really helped it. I am sure solidifying the lone HD medium doesn't hurt but still, price is first and foremost the reason.

MS probably won't add Blu-Ray and if they do, it will be in the form of another add-on that you can't hear the movie over (well, that is the whole unit, but the add-on sure won't help with RROD/heat issues).
  • Reply 1250 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quality of console games and previous months' sales history aside, the PS3's built-in ability to handle 50GB Blu-ray discs makes it a more future-forward device than the 360 now that there is a clear path for Blu-ray's advancement as the HD optical standard of the future.

How do you think MS will handle this: A new Xbox 720 with a Blu-ray/DVD player or will they simply replace the current 360's DVD drive with a Blu-ray/DVD drive? And, perhaps, make some modest hardware upgrades so they can market it under a slightly different moniker (e.g.: XBOX 360 Eliterist)?

Hmm.. I see Elixer going off about how PS3 doesn't and, won't need Blu-ray for games.
  • Reply 1251 of 2639
    Quote:

Apparently both MS and Nintendo are working on next gen. So, look for 360 fans to be dumped as soon as the next wave hits, just like when it came out. This time around it would probably drive people to the 10 year system (aka PS3). It was probably a good idea to put a HDD (in every system) and HD optical format in to keep it around for awhile.
  • Reply 1252 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

MS probably won't add Blu-Ray and if they do, it will be in the form of another add-on that you can't hear the movie over (well, that is the whole unit, but the add-on sure won't help with RROD/heat issues).

It probably will be an add-on. Microsoft did say that they'd do it if the customers showed it was what they wanted.
  • Reply 1253 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Hmm.. I see Elixer going off about how PS3 doesn't and, won't need Blu-ray for games.

I hope not. I attempted to word my post in a way to move away from this circular discussion and try to get some intelligent speculation about future possibilities.
  • Reply 1254 of 2639
    Quote:

I hope not. I attempted to word my post in a way to move away from this circular discussion and try to get some intelligent speculation about future possibilities.

And I think you did a good job.
  • Reply 1255 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

You really need to get over this fanboy crap, this is a Blu-Ray thread. PS3 is a valid topic here, not 360.

Btw, obviously the 360 will have more games in the top ten, it has been out a full year long. Give your head a shake. MS has jammed the channels to the tits with units and can't get anymore out to the retailers. Expect PS3 sales higher than 360 from here on out. There is a trend (at least where I am) to rent/buy more PS3 games, it is quite surprising actually.

I believe price is the major factor in the turn around for the PS3, hitting $399 really helped it. I am sure solidifying the lone HD medium doesn't hurt but still, price is first and foremost the reason.

obviously what? i'm sorry but the pure hate for microsoft in this forum blinds most you.

"obviously the 360 has more games in the top ten, it has been out a full year long"

the 360 has been out longer than the Wii yet the wii is k/cking butt all over the place. it smokes the PS3 in japan (where the sony brand was king last gen), it's games are always in the top spots there and in other places. so where is the excuse there? i think its safe to say most people are buying Ps3's and then buying blurays instead of games.

so microsoft jammed the channels with supplies and sold most of those supplies.. hmm is that a bad thing? why didn't sony do that then? i guess they said "wait, we want to sell 30 something thousand units over microsoft in one of the slowest months of the gaming calender, lets hold off supplies!"

brilliant!

yes, lets see PS3 sales from here on out shall we. it wont win in this country, i put my life on it. the 360 has the exclusive content that the U.S market wants, bottom line. so, there is a minor trend where you live to buy/rent inferior games for the playstation 3? (and they are inferior considering most third party titles are reviewed higher on the 360), great for your town.

i'm not the fanboy here, i dont dispute bluray winning the format war, i dont dispute the failure rates of the first gen 360 units, i dont dispute that japan doesn't give a rats a55 for the 360 but the reality is still crystal clear:

the 360 has been a better gaming machine since launch.

p.s: the 360 had an HD-DVD attachment and so it was and still is a valid discussion in this thread.
  • Reply 1256 of 2639
    Quote:

obviously what? i'm sorry but the pure hate for microsoft in this forum blinds most you.

"obviously the 360 has more games in the top ten, it has been out a full year long"

the 360 has been out longer than the Wii yet the wii is k/cking butt all over the place. it smokes the PS3 in japan (where the sony brand was king last gen), it's games are always in the top spots there and in other places. so where is the excuse there? i think its safe to say most people are buying Ps3's and then buying blurays instead of games.

so microsoft jammed the channels with supplies and sold most of those supplies.. hmm is that a bad thing? why didn't sony do that then? i guess they said "wait, we want to sell 30 something thousand units over microsoft in one of the slowest months of the gaming calender, lets hold off supplies!"

brilliant!

yes, lets see PS3 sales from here on out shall we. it wont win in this country, i put my life on it. the 360 has the exclusive content that the U.S market wants, bottom line. so, there is a minor trend where you live to buy/rent inferior games for the playstation 3? (and they are inferior considering most third party titles are reviewed higher on the 360), great for your town.

i'm not the fanboy here, i dont dispute bluray winning the format war, i dont dispute the failure rates of the first gen 360 units, i dont dispute that japan doesn't give a rats a55 for the 360 but the reality is still crystal clear:

the 360 has been a better gaming machine since launch.

p.s: the 360 had an HD-DVD attachment and so it was and still is a valid discussion in this thread.

Edit: And it has NOT been a better gaming machine. It has a bigger and better selection of games out. The console itself isn't up to par with industry standard.
  • Reply 1257 of 2639
    Quote:

Do you dispute the failure rates of current gen units?

10%

Better, but they still need to work on it.
  • Reply 1258 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Who's the fanboy?

PS3 is predicted to outsell the 360 this year, and take the lead out of all 3 consoles by 2011.

Why are you still here? Have some respect.

Are you a baseball fan? Just curious.

I still can't believe you. Congrats on trying.

do you constantly refurbish crap and post it here? do you think for yourself or constantly go by what analysts say? hmm? when analysts said that apple never had a chance of coming back and when high profile CEO's of other companies swore Apple was doomed did you buy into it?

maybe you bought into the predictions that the PS3 was going to come out of the gates firing on all cylinders and smoking everybody or how Nintendo was going to bottom out with this new "wii mote concept"

the playstation has been a monster brand for the last 2 generations. it was unstoppable last gen, and the damn console (ps2) is still being bought like crazy. the PS3 is not that console, not even close. by time that thing reaches stride the entire gen will have jumped another step and all the developers and publishers will have gone with it.

edit: i dont like how the console has had problems but most of those problems are gone. units coming out today are doing very well and reports of failures are down dramatically. again, as a gaming machine the 360 provides better games and a better online experience.
  • Reply 1259 of 2639
    Quote:

edit: i dont like how the console has had problems but most of those problems are gone. units coming out today are doing very well and reports of failures are down dramatically. again, as a gaming machine the 360 provides better games and a better online experience.

Well, it's been nice knowing you.

Cheers.
  • Reply 1260 of 2639
    Quote:

do you constantly refurbish crap and post it here? do you think for yourself or constantly go by what analysts say? hmm? when analysts said that apple never had a chance of coming back and when high profile CEO's of other companies swore Apple was doomed did you buy into it?

You know what, never mind. I see no point in continuing this, even though for some reason you do. Congrats on enjoying your 360 so much. You should try out Lost Odyssey if you're in to JRPGs. So much fun.

Cheers.