Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 1181 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Here are the details to Netflix HD-DVD customers directly from Netflix.

Quote:

We're Going Blu-ray\t

\t Dear Mark,

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

Quote:

In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

I would think the best selection would be provided by continuing to support both platforms.
  • Reply 1182 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I would think the best selection would be provided by continuing to support both platforms.

I see what you're saying, but I would guess that they have a budget for their movie purchases. If you have a Blu-ray player with rentals enabled on NetFlix you'll probably notice that almost every single title available is on short, long, or very long wait - the demand is completely outstripping the supply. I don't know how things are on the HD-DVD side, but I could see the company taking this as a sign and choosing to stock larger quantities of Blu-ray titles, which are obviously in demand, at the expense of HD-DVD's stock.
  • Reply 1183 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

The Netflix announcement is a shocker and definitely catastrophic for HD-DVD. Now maybe Netflix will increase their stock of of BD titles and the long waits will disappear from the queues.

It's also good news for those who wish for only format in the hope it'll lead to wider adoption by those people who now have HDTVs.

Yup, it's going to sting real bad for HD-DVD renters. There goes one source of HDM renting plans for me.

I guess, it's time to reallocate my hobby funding even more away from HDM area. I caught a new bug called LBA (Lens Buying Addiction), and I need to save up alot more to get just one lens.

BTW, does this mean that Netflix will sell off their current HD-DVD library at some sort of a discount? Perhaps, I can take advantage of it.
  • Reply 1184 of 2639
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

With an unlimited budget, sure. But they are better off supporting the most common format and the one that will be making the most headway into our homes in the coming months and years.
  • Reply 1185 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

If you have a Blu-ray player with rentals enabled on NetFlix you'll probably notice that almost every single title available is on short, long, or very long wait - the demand is completely outstripping the supply. I don't know how things are on the HD-DVD side, ...

The only HD DVD title I've ever had to wait on was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I never did actually get it as I blew some Christmas money on buying it and took it out of my queue. I suppose that your explanation makes sense.

As an aside, owning my own business makes it a lot harder to be a gripey customer. I can't bring myself to bitch to Netflix about this because I probably would make the same decision. Unless they've been bought off... Then I'll have to kick them in the nuts. I don't imagine the BDA is buying many people off anymore now that the writing is on the wall.
  • Reply 1186 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Best Buy seems to have chosen sides now as well.
  • Reply 1187 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Best Buy seems to have chosen sides now as well.

Beat me to it. Yup, if it already isn't ugly for HD DVD, I'd say it looks about as pretty as...

...for HD DVD. And that's pretty fugly.
  • Reply 1188 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Meanwhile...Yoda is weighing in on the Netflix and Best Buy news...

do yo thang boy!
  • Reply 1189 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

With an unlimited budget, sure. But they are better off supporting the most common format and the one that will be making the most headway into our homes in the coming months and years.

You hope.
  • Reply 1190 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You hope.

Hell no. All the strife and slapfighting will be missed, Mark my words...

• Reply 1191 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You hope.

Don't you hope as well?

--

Interesting news, I guess the next big news will be Unimount and Paraversal making an announcement.

Im betting on Universal first Paramount will be last to jump from the sinking ship, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
  • Reply 1192 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Hell no. All the strife and slapfighting will be missed, Mark my words...

Yeah, I guess in an odd way it will. I'm left wondering will there be a BD Vs DVD thread started? just to fill the lonely void left once the Red ship disappears under the Blu waves
  • Reply 1193 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Yeah, I guess in an odd way it will. I'm left wondering will there be a BD Vs DVD thread started? just to fill the lonely void left once the Red ship disappears under the Blu waves

There's Walter. Still getting the last word.
  • Reply 1194 of 2639
  • Reply 1195 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Don't you hope as well?

--

Interesting news, I guess the next big news will be Unimount and Paraversal making an announcement.

Im betting on Universal first Paramount will be last to jump from the sinking ship, though I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Yes I hope as well. I've just learned to look at the whole picture and what else might happen.
  • Reply 1196 of 2639
    Oh! And as far as our " Downloading Future " goes here's an interesting take.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/11/n....ap/index.html
  • Reply 1197 of 2639
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:

Here are the details to Netflix HD-DVD customers directly from Netflix.

Yeah, in that case maybe they should support VHS, Laserdisc and Betamax too. What they mean is that soon, HD-DVDs won't be produced. Secondly, they can allocate more resources to procuring additional Blu-ray titles.
  • Reply 1198 of 2639
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Yup, it's going to sting real bad for HD-DVD renters. There goes one source of HDM renting plans for me.

I guess, it's time to reallocate my hobby funding even more away from HDM area. I caught a new bug called LBA (Lens Buying Addiction), and I need to save up alot more to get just one lens.

BTW, does this mean that Netflix will sell off their current HD-DVD library at some sort of a discount? Perhaps, I can take advantage of it.

This pretty much sums up what HD-DVD adopters are all about. It never really got close to mainstream. People that went Blu-ray actually wanted to watch movies for the sake of watching movies. HD-DVD folks had a new hobby. Now their hobby is gone, and instead of choosing the winning format, they are going to take their marbles and go home.
  • Reply 1199 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yeah, in that case maybe they should support VHS, Laserdisc and Betamax too.

Quote:

What they mean is that soon, HD-DVDs won't be produced. Secondly, they can allocate more resources to procuring additional Blu-ray titles.

All of which has already been pointed out and responded to, even agreed with.
  • Reply 1200 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

People that went Blu-ray actually wanted to watch movies for the sake of watching movies.

Nonsense. People went Blu-Ray because a few million of them got the player for free in their console, and because Big Media wanted the extra DRM embedded in the players.