the 15 inch: 2.5GHz and 17 inch: 2.5GHz now states

"NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 512MB SDRAM"

while 15 inch: 2.4GHz states:

"NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM"
  • Reply 122 of 423
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayLight View Post

whats worse, in the UK, the MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.5GHz costs "1,599.00 GBP" roughly

$3,155 USD compared to $2,499.00 USD in the states. thats a $656 price difference.

Keep in mind that the extra costs of duties, complying with regulation, as well as extra taxes on businesses, and a much higher cost of living on the Apple employees there in distribution, service and support, all lead to a higher price. The last time I looked at Apple's finance sheets, Apple makes less margin in Europe despite the higher prices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

The MBPs also still use the antiquated lid hook "latch" that is prone to breaking.

Have you broken one? I've not really heard of people breaking them. I think it would be nifty to have a maglatch, but I just don't see the existing one causing problems.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rokeylounge View Post

Don't get me wrong, I am sincerely disgusted with Apple's RAM upgrade prices. Though, buying it elsewhere DOES NOT MEAN that it will be in the computer the moment you get the computer, and it does not mean that it'll be installed by an Apple tech/machine, and it does not mean that it'll be warranted under Apple's one-stop-shop. If your aftermarket RAM craps on yo, u have to send it to your supplier, and if it hurts your computer, you have to deal with them, and for a lot of people, it's hard to know what is what, how it works, where to put it, and what to do if it won't turn on (plug-in the cord, dummy).

I hardly think that those features & services is worth $300, especially not for $100 worth of product. I've never heard of a stick of RAM actually damaging a computer.
  • Reply 123 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple is effectively lowering the cost of the MBP by this deletion and not passing the savings on to the consumer.

Did you consider the cost of the multi-touch trackpad hardware and software? Did you consider that perhaps Apple was giving the remote away before to promote Front Row? Did you consider the cost of the processors? While the price is the same model over model for 1000 units it's possible Apple isn't getting as good a deal from Intel as before because of the weakened economy which has forced Apple to purchase less than before. I can't say any of this is true or false, I'm just wondering if you considered anything else before you made your claim?
  • Reply 124 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't go with a upgrade to the case as well, especially the keyboard. I was beginning to think that they would make the newer keyboards universal... *sigh* There goes the anticipation of waiting all day to see something grand.. now it's just cool

glad I didn't buy a mbp two weeks ago though lol

The keyboard has been updated. New backlighting and dedicated media keys.
  • Reply 125 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

MBP

What I Like:

4GB of Ram is now only $400 for people dumb enough to buy it from Apple instead of NewEgg

The graphics cards are improved.

The upgrade to a 7200rpm drive is now only 50 bucks instead of 150 it was previously.

New Multi-Touch Trackpad

What I Don't Like:

The upgraded MBP 15" doesn't come with the 2.6GHz as standard. Now it's a 250 buck upgrade for 100 Mhz?

No magnetic latch

Lack of some more usb drives on 15"

No LED 15" screens

The Apple Remote is now 19 bucks I'll just use my old one

Nice list (and you weren't whiney about iy), but the processor choices are inline with the previous prices per 1000.
  • Reply 126 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

MBP

What I Like:

4GB of Ram is now only $400 for people dumb enough to buy it from Apple instead of NewEgg

The graphics cards are improved.

The upgrade to a 7200rpm drive is now only 50 bucks instead of 150 it was previously.

New Multi-Touch Trackpad

What I Don't Like:

The upgraded MBP 15" doesn't come with the 2.6GHz as standard. Now it's a 250 buck upgrade for 100 Mhz?

No magnetic latch

Lack of some more usb drives on 15"

No LED 15" screens

The Apple Remote is now 19 bucks I'll just use my old one

This is the second time on this thread people have said there is no LED 15" screens.

From Apple's page:

15-inch MacBook Pro

15.4-inch (diagonal) antiglare widescreen TFT LED backlit display with support for millions of colors; optional glossy widescreen display.

Come on -- get it right.
  • Reply 127 of 423
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayLight View Post

I HATE APPLE ...

what kind of treatment is this !!!!

i've been waiting for the damn update for around 6 months now only to get this crappy update that can't even compete with a top of the line sony laptop that costs less..

whats worse, in the UK, the MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.5GHz costs "1,599.00 GBP" roughly

$3,155 USD compared to $2,499.00 USD in the states. thats a $656 price difference. and thats NOT whats bloody annoying .. the damn thing comes with LOWER specs than the US version!!! an unupgradable "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM".

this better be a mistake..

P.S. sorry guys, i was really angry when i started writing this. am still angry but not as much. i guess i'll order my laptop from the states. alot cheaper with better specs. only problem is i'll have to pay for a new power adapter *apples ones are expensive* and the keyboard has an american layout so i'll have to get used to that. *sigh*

ohh, and i don't really hate apple. atleast not alot. \

If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not since I just checked the UK site where it points the fact out quite clearly), your prices include some pretty ugly taxes and the ones in the US explicitly *do not* (taxes are added during checkout for US buyers). Don't blame Apple for that one.

Your price before taxes is 1360.85 GBP which works out to $2,692.30 USD (of course we're working on getting that down to peso levels so check back later...).
  • Reply 128 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If you had the ability to read for content you would have seen that I specifically said that I had no need for a remote that I don't use one.

You really need to get a grip. Apple is effectively lowering the cost of the MBP by this deletion and not passing the savings on to the consumer. Considering the cash on hand that is questionable. Maybe in your case it is the lack of balls to screw up the strength to question Apples pricing.

With the current economic climate even a modest attempt by Apple to adjust their price to consumers would be taken positively. As can be seen in this thread the more profits for Apple attitude the company has isn't being taken to positively.

Dave

You're whining about their pricing, and pointing at a 19 buck remote that almost nobody uses.

You're not just a little girl..... you're a cry-baby too.
  • Reply 129 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

You're whining about their pricing, and pointing at a 19 buck remote that almost nobody uses.

This sentence is fine.

Quote:

You're not just a little girl..... you're a cry-baby too.

This one resorts to name calling. Best to lay off the name calling 'round these here parts.
  • Reply 130 of 423
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    These threads are always hilarious.

- For those lamenting "no case redesign", specifically what redesign do you want (except the magnetic latch)?

You do realize that this thread would have been four times as long already if there HAD been a case redesign - people would all be arguing about the things that were redesigned....

- The combo drive is for schools, and a normal marketing device to get you to buy the next most expensive model.

- No, extra money for 100 mHz is not worth it. Apple always does this to allow those who want "Top Of The Line" to have something to buy. Just realize what the reason is and forget about it.

- Why do you care what the RAM upgrade prices are? Again, this is for people who want a "fully loaded" model and can afford not to worry about the price.

And finally, those claiming that there are "PCs" that have more features and cost less, step forward and show them.
  • Reply 131 of 423
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    $1999. Macbook Pro 15" 2.4GHz / 2GB / 200GB 5400RPM / 256MB Vram

$2499. Macbook Pro 15" 2.5GHz / 2GB / 250GB 5400RPM / 512MB Vram

Am I the only one that is going to bitch about a $500 difference between the 2 15" macbook pros? $500 for 256mb vram, 100mhz, and 50gb of harddrive? Are you kidding me?
  • Reply 132 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Am I the only one that is going to bitch about a $500 difference between the 2 15" macbook pros? $500 for 256mb vram, 100mhz, and 50gb of harddrive? Are you kidding me?

That looks odd. Where'd you get the 200GB 5400RPM data from? Isn't the 200GB a 7200RPM drive?
  • Reply 133 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

These threads are always hilarious.

- For those lamenting "no case redesign", specifically what redesign do you want (except the magnetic latch)?

You do realize that this thread would have been four times as long already if there HAD been a case redesign - people would all be arguing about the things that were redesigned....

- The combo drive is for schools, and a normal marketing device to get you to buy the next most expensive model.

- No, extra money for 100 mHz is not worth it. Apple always does this to allow those who want "Top Of The Line" to have something to buy. Just realize what the reason is and forget about it.

- Why do you care what the RAM upgrade prices are? Again, this is for people who want a "fully loaded" model and can afford not to worry about the price.

And finally, those claiming that there are "PCs" that have more features and cost less, step forward and show them.

true true, combo drive is hilarious indeed ... run and hide now ...
  • Reply 134 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

And the 2.5GHz proc has 6MB of cache instead of 3MB. Still, you make a good point, but if you work with graphics-intensive applications, the faster speed (including twice the cache), twice the video memory, and bigger hard drive (bigger hard drives are usually faster, everything else constant) could be worth more than $500 to you in the long run.
  • Reply 135 of 423
    Hi! A quick one: I am new to Apple (not counting my Apple IIe beginnings anymore ), and I have been waiting for this(? hmmm) MBP 15" refresh to finally join the Apple community. Now this refresh comes with a larger graphic card option (512MB) memory...

QUESTION:

Besides the topic whether I would really need so much graphic power (probably not immediately), I am wondering whether the 512 vs. 256MB option will have a noticeable impact on a) battery life of the MBP (since battery life matters quite a bit to me); and b) whether these heat issues that scare the hell out of me would even be worse with the higher end graphic card?

Thanks so much for helping me with the last open question on pro/cons 256<=>512
  • Reply 136 of 423
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Holy shit this is getting insane DVD is now going to be the dying format and the base macbook is still has a combo drive. What a fucking joke.
  • Reply 137 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

That looks odd. Where'd you get the 200GB 5400RPM data from? Isn't the 200GB a 7200RPM drive?

Oops, I looked and you're right. I sit corrected.
  • Reply 138 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

Is the 4GB of RAM with purchasing....or over kill..will I see a big difference?

depends on what kind of work you are using. If you are using word, excel, chatting and web browsing, you hardly used 2gb of ram.
  • Reply 139 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Holy shit this is getting insane DVD is now going to be the dying format and the base macbook is still has a combo drive. What a fucking joke.

Dude, apple's plan is to erase all dvd. They just want everything online through itunes. Yes, there is HD in itunes. there are some free hd podcast. you might want to check it out
  • Reply 140 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

Another question I forgot to ask

Is it worth purchasing the Apple Care Plan. Would you recommend spending the extra $250?

There is a perception that every laptop purchase should be accompanied by an extended warranty.

For sure, if you are going to be tugging it everywhere you go, is should be a major consideration. Equally, if you have the dropsies or you are not comfortable that somebody in the household is so inclined.

My recommendation otherwise, is based on my own experience with ton of Macs that I have personally owned. Never would have used it. However, my one laptop I gave my sister-in-law did. Actually it was her husband's fault.

Generally, I am of the opinion that if one were to go wrong, it will be in the first month and definitely you will be more that adequately covered in the normal first year warranty period.

Suggestion: Again it is your decision. But going for the year less a day is probably safe enough. Remember that you can purchase Apple Care later as long as you do so within the 1-year warranty period.