Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 1761 of 2639
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well sonny if you want to live in your dream world ( where you obviously feel insecure about your age ) so be it. However we're not the past yet and by the time we are you'll be in the same boat. That's the funny part. I'll be looking at specific data if you want however I think it's a waste of my time as you don't listen to anyone but yourself. And where the hell did you get data that supports the idea that formats change every 10 to 15 years?

Links please.

Jeez, just read the post. How hard is it to google "history records vinyl" and "history gramophone" and looking at the dates to verify?

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org...rtid=44&page=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record

http://www.thelaughingpapillon.com/hist_ix.php

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/features/vinyl/

Moving from shellac to vinyl and 78 to 33 1/3 is about the same as moving from DVD to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

And if you think about it at ALL you could easily figure out that I'm likely in the late boomer cohort or early GenX cohort and amusingly I got an AARP mailing just the other day. I'm just not stuck on the concept that my years of experience trumps all or that my age cohort is the center of the universe. Especially NOT in a technical/computer environment where skills evaporate very very quickly and experience is perishable.

You find contradicting information and I'll accept it but the trend becomes rather obvious rather quickly. In fact, because DVD is somewhat new (you have to count CDs too...all rotating optical media) you expect the rate of replacement to be faster at the beginning vs when it becomes more mature.

10-15 years also matches well with the rate of technology adoption in the software industry from usable to widespread use: 10 years (Zelkowitz I forget which year...late 90s). From idea to use is on the order of 17 years (Pfleeger 1998).

Human behavior is somewhat consistent as a large body so 10-15 years is a good rule of thumb for many technology adoption timeframes and there are journalled papers supporting that ballpark. I mention two specific (authors anyway) to software above and the format changes in for music records shows it holds fairly well for entertainment media.
  • Reply 1762 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Jeez, just read the post. How hard is it to google "history records vinyl" and "history gramophone" and looking at the dates to verify?

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org...rtid=44&page=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record

http://www.thelaughingpapillon.com/hist_ix.php

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/features/vinyl/

Moving from shellac to vinyl and 78 to 33 1/3 is about the same as moving from DVD to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

And if you think about it at ALL you could easily figure out that I'm likely in the late boomer cohort or early GenX cohort and amusingly I got an AARP mailing just the other day. I'm just not stuck on the concept that my years of experience trumps all or that my age cohort is the center of the universe. Especially NOT in a technical/computer environment where skills evaporate very very quickly and experience is perishable.

You find contradicting information and I'll accept it but the trend becomes rather obvious rather quickly. In fact, because DVD is somewhat new (you have to count CDs too...all rotating optical media) you expect the rate of replacement to be faster at the beginning vs when it becomes more mature.

10-15 years also matches well with the rate of technology adoption in the software industry from usable to widespread use: 10 years (Zelkowitz I forget which year...late 90s). From idea to use is on the order of 17 years (Pfleeger 1998).

Human behavior is somewhat consistent as a large body so 10-15 years is a good rule of thumb for many technology adoption timeframes and there are journalled papers supporting that ballpark. I mention two specific (authors anyway) to software above and the format changes in for music records shows it holds fairly well for entertainment media.

Well we'll see but it's a safe bet for you to predict since will we still be talking about this in your 2 year time frame?

Also I might argue that Steve Jobs did his best innovating when he was older. Most great innovators stand the test of time and don't only do one thing. Sure when he was young SJ invented Apple ( with other Steve ) and was around for the birth of the Macintosh. However what he did later was much more impressive.

I don't know if you recall how bad things looked for Apple back in the late 90's. Speculation was rampant that it would go under any day and would someone like Sun Of ( god forbid MS ) buy it? He brought it back from the brink and beat MS at their own game. Now they have a product that is the monopoly in the market ( the ipod ) and their computers are once again the talk of people who want the best. I think it's because he's a better innovator and a much more shrewd businessman now than he was when he was younger.

Also you can bet the members of the BluRay Disc Association aren't spring chickens either. The membership fee is $50,000 !

I'm not saying there aren't young bright minds out there innovating right now. And some of them will be a major force in the future. But if they've just started or done something in the last 3 years they are the FUTURE. Not the present as I would hope that it's not just one thing that they do. The people that where born between 1946 and 1964 still are a very powerful force in the business world and in the consuming world which is how this all started.

Once again I hope you're right and BR goes somewhere other than the nich market as someday I would like to be able to just go down and buy a movie when it comes out and not have to say " Damn it's not out on BR yet! " And yes if the players come down to $199.00 I'll buy one as that will signal to me that alot of others will buy one at that price.

Don't get me wrong I was an early adopter in the past I'm just a little more careful now.

And yes I kind of gauged your age by our conversation. Yes I've gotten those AARP mailings for awhile now also. The scary thing is in May I'll be able to get a discount at Taco Bell! Wa Hoo! The first 20 years take forever. The next go like a hot knife through butter. So far the 3rd 20 are going so fast it's stupid!

So the best thing is to try to enjoy your life as much as possible while it lasts and not get so caught up in it that you forget to smell the flowers.

Or to watch a BD or two.
  • Reply 1763 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    For those of you watching BD movies on a PS3, any idea why mine is purple? When I play a movie, BD or DVD, everything that should be black is purple. The PS3 is connected directly to my Westinghouse 32" TV via HDMI. It turns purple when outputting 1080i as well as 720p. Earlier today it was connected to an SDTV via good ole' composite video and there were no color issues. Menus and games are fine on both TVs, only video discs via HDMI get the Barney treatment.
  • Reply 1764 of 2639
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

For those of you watching BD movies on a PS3, any idea why mine is purple? When I play a movie, BD or DVD, everything that should be black is purple. The PS3 is connected directly to my Westinghouse 32" TV via HDMI. It turns purple when outputting 1080i as well as 720p. Earlier today it was connected to an SDTV via good ole' composite video and there were no color issues. Menus and games are fine on both TVs, only video discs via HDMI get the Barney treatment.

Composite? Do you mean Component? Regarless, the first step is to use Component cables -or- differnet HDMI cable -or- a different HDTV via the same HDMI cable to see if the issue is in the cable or the TV.
  • Reply 1765 of 2639
    No, I mean composite, the only one that comes with the PS3.

It's all good now though. It turns out some of the automatic picture settings aren't so good. I just had to manually set blu-ray/dvd playback to RGB and all is well.
  • Reply 1766 of 2639
    You know forget it, arguing with an idiot only drags you down to their level.. I think someone will soon require pills to stop them wandering

Sheesh
  • Reply 1767 of 2639
    Quote:

No, I mean composite, the only one that comes with the PS3.

It's all good now though. It turns out some of the automatic picture settings aren't so good. I just had to manually set blu-ray/dvd playback to RGB and all is well.

Glad you got it sorted
  • Reply 1768 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Not entirely sure what the heck's going on in this thread, but on the subject of HD discs, there's another article on why no one with any sense should buy a Blu-Ray player until the Fall of 2008.

That's six months of limbo for BR while Apple, Microsoft and others gird up for battle for the same Christmas 2008 shopping dollar. And the U.S. election and the potential/actual recession will also be at the forefront, so I don't think everyone's going to throwing money around.

It's going to be an all-around economic streetfight.

While Nintendo's shrewd business strategy helped them soar over the competition the last two years, the 2008 shopping season should be interesting to watch.
  • Reply 1769 of 2639
    I'm curious. Is anyone here excited about any of the new features that will require a profile 2.0 player? Every time I see an article like the one Frank777 linked I see the features and go "meh." Downloading HD trailiers piqued my interest a bit, but I already do that on my MacBook so I couldn't even muster excitement for that.

Profile 2.0 just strikes me as much ado about nothing.
  • Reply 1770 of 2639
    Quote:

I'm curious. Is anyone here excited about any of the new features that will require a profile 2.0 player? Every time I see an article like the one Frank777 linked I see the features and go "meh." Downloading HD trailiers piqued my interest a bit, but I already do that on my MacBook so I couldn't even muster excitement for that.

Guartho, I agree with you 100%. I think it's a "sky is falling" scenario foster by those people who are having a hard time accepting that HD is dead. Admittedly there is an extremely small number of people who seem more interested in bells and whistles rather than watching the movie, but IMO the vast majority of people want to watch the movie and care less about the extras.

One other note, I've owned 2 LD players and 3 DVD players. I'm sure several years down the road I'll be replacing my BD player with one that has more features and costs a 1/3 of the one I bought. That's the nature of technology.

There's been some interesting posts over on the AVSfoum BD board that there may be a temporary spot shortage of BD 50 discs at times this year. It seems 2 high demand games scheduled for PS3 release this year will be taking a huge chunk of the available supply, sorry I'm not a gamer so didn't note the titles. This won't affect the BD studios as apparently they have a guaranteed supply but could hamper Universal and Paramount and force them into BD 25 releases. BTW, has anyone heard anything definite as to when those two studios will be releasing anything?
  • Reply 1771 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

I actually am in agreement with you here. While I think some of the features are cool, I think most of the weight on a Blu-ray disc falls on the quality of the main feature itself.

With that said, Frank777, given that millions already own a PS3 with Blu-ray playback, they will all be able to enjoy BD 2.0 (BD-Live) features this month...

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1132

Quote:

Sony Computer Entertainment has announced that they will issue a firmware update later this month that will enable the PlayStation 3 (PS3) to playback BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Blu-ray movie discs. BD-Live allows your Blu-ray player (in this case, a PS3) to access additional content via an Internet connection. Some already revealed BD-Live features include downloading related movie trailers, sending a ringtone to your cellphone, and playing interactive online games.

Scott A. Steinberg, vice president, product marketing, SCEA commented, "With Blu-ray established as the high-definition optical disc standard, more consumers are ready to jump in and take advantage of everything the format offers. Whether you want to download movie extras, send ringtones to your phone, or play interactive games, BD-LIVE will offer exciting new ways to enjoy a Blu-ray movie. With these regular firmware updates and future-proofed technology, SCEA is making the 10-year lifecycle of PS3 possible."

In conjunction with the release of this BD-Live upgrade, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will release 'Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story' and 'The 6th Day', both of which will feature exclusive BD-Live content to show off the potential of the upgrade. Additionally, films such as Lionsgate's 'War' and 'Saw IV', which were released earlier this year, already have BD-Live features right on the disc.

With this upgrade, the PS3 will become the first available BD-Live Blu-ray player on the market, living up to its position as the ultimate home entertainment system. The first standalone BD-Live Blu-ray player will be the Panasonic DMP-BD50, which is expected to be released this May.

Full Upgrade Details

BD-Live (Profile v2.0) Upgrade

"Resume play" will enable PS3 system to start playing a Blu-ray disc and DVD at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed. (*1)

"Audio Output Device" will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.

PS3 system's Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser's view speed will be improved.

DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.

"Mosquito Noise Reduction" will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback. (*2)

• Reply 1772 of 2639
    This isn't some sky is falling scenario. It's simply a question of whether you should encourage friends and relatives to buy players that aren't yet fully up to spec.

Since the PS3 has been ready for the new spec for a long time, why did the BR consortium let other CE manufacturers put out machines that couldn't be upgraded?

I understand that there aren't a lot of big reasons to embrace the new spec now.

But Hollywood has a lot of bright and creative people. And they need to justify a BD retail price that looks huge compared to DVD bargains.

I think that someone's going to come up with a compelling way to use these features eventually.

When that happens, you will have angry, less-savvy adopters who bought into the format because everyone said the war was over.
  • Reply 1773 of 2639
    Wait a minute. I just saw Marz's upgrade list.

Doesn't BD Live offer the new 'interactive experience' akin to the HD-DVD one we talked about a few months back? I mean like the ability to click on the movie and go to a web page to find out interesting history details or purchase the products being shown.
  • Reply 1774 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Wait a minute. I just saw Marz's upgrade list.

Doesn't BD Live offer the new 'interactive experience' akin to the HD-DVD one we talked about a few months back? I mean like the ability to click on the movie and go to a web page to find out interesting history details or purchase the products being shown.

Yes, this has been talked about before in-depth. I think is rather stupid and useless. All I want to do is watch the movie at its best, both in great picture and sound. I just want solid transfers dammit!
  • Reply 1775 of 2639
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

This isn't some sky is falling scenario. It's simply a question of whether you should encourage friends and relatives to buy players that aren't yet fully up to spec.

Since the PS3 has been ready for the new spec for a long time, why did the BR consortium let other CE manufacturers put out machines that couldn't be upgraded?

I understand that there aren't a lot of big reasons to embrace the new spec now.

But Hollywood has a lot of bright and creative people. And they need to justify a BD retail price that looks huge compared to DVD bargains.

I think that someone's going to come up with a compelling way to use these features eventually.

When that happens, you will have angry, less-savvy adopters who bought into the format because everyone said the war was over.

Shhh. Don't look behind the curtain. There's nothing there for you to see. Besides, no one cares about special features. Sony RULES!
  • Reply 1776 of 2639
    There's no wonder HD-DVD had lost.

The proof had been confirmed by Toshiba self in their official announcement

And a blog post also represents the technological article differentiating between Blu-ray and HD-DVD
  • Reply 1777 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogue Zah View Post

There's no wonder HD-DVD had lost.

The proof had been confirmed by Toshiba self in their official announcement

And a blog post also represents the technological article differentiating between Blu-ray and HD-DVD

Hey thanks for the insights. That clears up a lot!

Hey, I hear Apple is thinking of making an entrance into the cell phone market. Maybe you can use your mad skillz to dig up some info on that for us.
  • Reply 1778 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Could be crappy black levels on your TV, but I dunno. How purple are we talking, here? I do know that Westinghouse LCDs tend to have grayish blacks, and if your color adjustments are off they could easily come out as purplish.
  • Reply 1779 of 2639
    We're not talking slight purple tint here, we're talking Barney the Dinosaur was put in a blender and spray-painted on to my TV purple.

But, I discovered it was caused by a setting on the PS3 and it's all resolved now.
  • Reply 1780 of 2639
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well we'll see but it's a safe bet for you to predict since will we still be talking about this in your 2 year time frame?

Say what? You should see some action closer to Christmas.

Quote:

Also I might argue that Steve Jobs did his best innovating when he was older. Most great innovators stand the test of time and don't only do one thing. Sure when he was young SJ invented Apple ( with other Steve ) and was around for the birth of the Macintosh. However what he did later was much more impressive.

Um...you are supposedly old enough to have been there and young enough to remember. I certainly am. The answer is no...the Macintosh was the machine that changed the game. NeXT/NeXTSTEP right after. Then Pixar in 1986.

Quote:

I don't know if you recall how bad things looked for Apple back in the late 90's. Speculation was rampant that it would go under any day and would someone like Sun Of ( god forbid MS ) buy it? He brought it back from the brink and beat MS at their own game.

I still seem to see MS with 90 some odd percent of the market. MS and Apple never really played the same game... except perhaps in the brief period while Jobs was gone from Apple.

Quote:

Now they have a product that is the monopoly in the market ( the ipod ) and their computers are once again the talk of people who want the best. I think it's because he's a better innovator and a much more shrewd businessman now than he was when he was younger.

He certainly is a more shrewd businessman than when younger. And he remains innovative today...but business success is also not the same as innovation.

Quote:

Also you can bet the members of the BluRay Disc Association aren't spring chickens either. The membership fee is $50,000 !

Um. That's nothing to pay for a company. Of course, you wouldn't bother unless you intend to do something useful with that membership.

Quote:

I'm not saying there aren't young bright minds out there innovating right now. And some of them will be a major force in the future. But if they've just started or done something in the last 3 years they are the FUTURE. Not the present as I would hope that it's not just one thing that they do. The people that where born between 1946 and 1964 still are a very powerful force in the business world and in the consuming world which is how this all started.

Because Google, Yahoo, etc are not real companies that exist today...do you bother to read or just blather on? None of those people I listed are either boomers or founders of recent startups.

Yes, old people are powerful. Incumbents usually are.

Quote:

Once again I hope you're right and BR goes somewhere other than the nich market as someday I would like to be able to just go down and buy a movie when it comes out and not have to say " Damn it's not out on BR yet! " And yes if the players come down to $199.00 I'll buy one as that will signal to me that alot of others will buy one at that price.

I couldn't care less if BR is successful or not to tell you the truth. I'm not all that invested in particular technology solutions. IF I did care (as you continue to claim...I think you protest too much), I'd go buy one now instead of attempting to FUD it to death.

Either it becomes mainstream or a mainstream HD solution will exist. Given that there are no OTHER viable HD movie rental/ownership mechanisms at the moment that fits the bill, I'm guessing that BR is the technology that fills the void, that prices WILL drop to mass market levels and that titles WILL be available.

The burden of proof is on the Cassandra wannabees to show why none of that will happen in due time. Due time being CLOSER TO CHRISTMAS. Not two flipping years from now.