Apple quietly refreshes iMac line, now up to 3.06GHz

Comments

• Reply 161 of 362
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

We already know that Apple is looking at going to all LED displays, what we don't know is when. Maybe the next iMac upgrade, who knows?

There are 2 types of LED backlighting: White LEDs and separate red, green, blue LEDs. Based on specifications from display manufacturers, screens with white LED backlighting have no wider color gamut than screens using CCFL. On the other hand, screens using separate red, green, blue LEDs have a much wider color gamut which more closely covers the Adobe RGB color space.
  • Reply 162 of 362
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Which is more likely: Intel made some special CPUs and motherboard chipsets that are just like Montevina and its updated Penryn CPUs, but not actually Montevina, and will supply Apple with real Montevina in 1 - 2 months' time, or Intel have delivered Montevina a couple of months early to Apple?

Maybe Intel are deliberately lying about what chip this is because they don't want to piss off their other customers.

The latter seems more likely to me. While Apple has gotten chips first, they've never gotten more than one chip from Intel and never so far in advance (unless you count the 22mm chipset of the MBA).

I wonder what is missing from the full Montevina platform? No WiMAX, no HW H.264 decoding, etc.? Either way, I was going to get a refurbished Santa Rosa/Merom iMac but I'm now going for a new Monta-Rosa/Penryn iMac.
  • Reply 163 of 362
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

As I mentioned in a different thread, I think that whoever in Intel is providing these "facts", they don't have all the information.

At issue here isn't just the CPU speed, but also that the iMac is using 800 MHz RAM, which Santa Rosa doesn't support.

Which is more likely:
    • Intel made some special CPUs and motherboard chipsets that are just like Montevina and its updated Penryn CPUs, but not actually Montevina, and will supply Apple with real Montevina in 1 - 2 months' time, or...

• Intel have delivered Montevina a couple of months early to Apple?

Maybe Intel are deliberately lying about what chip this is because they don't want to piss off their other customers.

Exactly.

I'm sure that Intel can come up with some obscure feature that these chips don't have that the Montevina Penryns will/do. But it looks like a distinction without a difference IMO.
  • Reply 164 of 362
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I'm now eating crow for stating that these MUST be Montevina based on the FSB and L2 Cache.
  • Reply 165 of 362
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder what is missing from the full Montevina platform? No WiMAX, no HW H.264 decoding, etc.?

To the best of my knowledge, Apple has never made use of any GPU's integrated H.264 decoding (except in the AppleTV), so I don't see hardware H.264 as anything to get excited about.
  • Reply 166 of 362
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

No glossy/matte screen choice. Customer feedback not reaching engineers.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE ?????!!!!!!!

ANOTHER UPDATE WITH FORCED GLOSSY ---- CRAP !!!

OK, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE GLASS FACE CAN BE REPLACED WITH ONE WITH A LIGHT ACID ETCH ???

CAN IT BE REMOVED AT ALL ??? MAYBE I CAN ETCH

A LIGHT MATTE ON IT WITH A GLASS ART KIT.

ANY INFO APPRECIATED.

I DON'T FREAKIN' BELIEVE I HAVE TO DO THIS TO FIX

THE LATEST STUPIDITY FROM APPLE.

IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING, ISN'T IT.

ALWAYS A WART ON THE FACE.

ALWAYS A COCKROACH IN THE MASHED POTATOES.

THANKS A HELL OF A LOT

---gooddog
  • Reply 167 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

call them and tell them your problem. Customer is always right

In this case, the customer is right. He should be getting an upgraded machine, which he is.

But I'd say most of the time the customer isn't right. (And no, I don't work in retail or sales.)
  • Reply 168 of 362
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

So same thing different name. It is not like we are paying separately for these either, but we wouldn't be paying yours as well as ours, just instead of.

Again all these issues are instead of. We speak English, the laws and lawyers are similar and go with any working business. Any Apple office anywhere has to pay for its own telephones, stationery, accounts etc even in the States. You didn't have to pay a premium on your Macs to use Australia's Fred Anderson when he became HQ's CFO for many years.

You would assume that all parts of an organisation contribute to the whole. There should not be any cross subsidisation unless you are trying to minimise tax in certain markets by loading them up with costs to reduce their profits and shift them to HQ.

Should Mac consumers in Alaska pay more than say Canadian consumers? After all they are a small state in population and are much further from Apple HQ and face much greater transport and support costs?

Apple is an American company doing business in a foreign country. As such, it is subject to foreign commercial and consumer laws, taxes and business/social issues that add to the general cost of goods and the difference is passed on to the foreign consumer.

For every Mac that Apple brings into the US from China for example, is subject to US importation costs, which on a unit bases, is significantly less than what is alloted to each Mac sold in Australia. The same for overhead, marketing and general legal (corporate) costs are significantly lower per unit in the US, but they are added necessities in foreign operations.

As such, doing business in another country has an added cost. True, the more the merrier and its additional sales do in fact drive overall production costs down. However, shipping a Mac from China to Australia will cost more per unit than shipping the same Mac to California.

By the way, don't tell an Aussie that we speak English. Although I would think that they also would agree that they don't as well. For sure, the Brits or the Canadians would argue on whether Americans speak English. But even the Canadians would say that they are the only English speaking people that every other so called English speaking person in the world can understand. In any event, those little nuances between American English and Australian has a cost, albeit small, but one of those things that just adds up and up.

Big landed cost in Australia is for shipping. Nearly twice as much than in the US. For example, free shipping in US, Canada and Australia is free over $50, $75 and $90 respectively. Obviously volume/mile delivered is the key factor.
  • Reply 169 of 362
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The RAM you list is 240 pin instead of 200 pin. Crucial lists 2x2GB of the new iMac memory for $124. So yeah, it's a better deal than Apple, and you get the extra 2x1GB modules to sell or give away (if you want to deal with it).

But still, $200 for the Apple factory upgrade (from 2 to 4GB) is not bad.

I agree - it's worth it. I know how to install ram, I've done it many times - laptops, desktops, even PCs. However, if Apple installs it I'm covered by their warranty and there is no chance of memory incompatibility which has been a problem now and then with Macs. Plus I don't have to worry that by some fluke I manage to zap the ram or damage the slot. All that is worth the $200 to me.
  • Reply 170 of 362
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

There are 2 types of LED backlighting: White LEDs and separate red, green, blue LEDs. Based on specifications from display manufacturers, screens with white LED backlighting have no wider color gamut than screens using CCFL. On the other hand, screens using separate red, green, blue LEDs have a much wider color gamut which more closely covers the Adobe RGB color space.

And the even wider Pro Photo gamut?

Just kidding, but, at this point the LEDs provide more even lighting, and color across the screen, which is not a joke. It's a step forward from where they are now.
  • Reply 171 of 362
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

For elementary school, this is more than fast enough to last you about 5 years I'd say, that is if your kids don't want to play a lot of games on these. No need to get the more expensive models. You should get 2GB of RAM though. To replace this ram, you need to loosen 1(one) screw.

Speed bump before fall is possible, I'd say 60% chance they upgrade it once more before September, if you can hold out till November or so, I'd wait.

I visited an elementary school with those 10 year old iMacs. They are the "The original "Bondi Blue" iMac G3 was introduced in 1998."

They're horrible... I think they aren't upgrading them because they're to valuable to have 6 year olds messing with them and maybe they're too big. They could at least get Mac Mini's with a 15" screen or something... sheeeeesh.

-----

I'm pretty happy about the iMac update myself... I need to get the high-end model now. 3 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, 500 GB HDD, and a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory for $2,199.00! Damn, I need that! Now we just need a display update a 30" LED glossy widescreen display with a 1000:1 contrast ratio! ha that'd be sweet
  • Reply 172 of 362
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    I hate to say this... but looks like Apple is keeping glossy screens!

That's too bad for them to ignore people who don't care for glossy screens... as long as they keep making glossy screen iMacs, they won't get my business.
  • Reply 173 of 362
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

I hate to say this... but looks like Apple is keeping glossy screens!

That's too bad for them to ignore people who don't care for glossy screens... as long as they keep making glossy screen iMacs, they won't get my business.

Well, there goes the stock!

• Reply 174 of 362
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

And who controls the money, why since Jan 07, the Democratic controlled Congress.

It was Bush who's pushed the rebates because of his and his Republicans 6 years of fiscal irresponsibility in controlling the money- hello?
  • Reply 175 of 362
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Even Apple's own forums were full of complaints. I steered clear of the problem by buying the white 24" iMacs before they disappeared off the shelves. Got them at excellent prices too!

Two things I generally don't read is blogs (usually by people who know less than the average person here), and Apple's forums, which often are not very useful, or interesting.
  • Reply 176 of 362
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not relating the end of the recession to the elections. It's just that economists think that the recession will end shortly after the elections, perhaps around January.

One thing is for certain - everyone's depression will be over around January, once a-Whole and Cheney leave Washington.
  • Reply 177 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

WHAT IS WRONG WITH APPLE ?????!!!!!!!

ANOTHER UPDATE WITH FORCED GLOSSY ---- CRAP !!!

OK, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE GLASS FACE CAN BE REPLACED WITH ONE WITH A LIGHT ACID ETCH ???

CAN IT BE REMOVED AT ALL ??? MAYBE I CAN ETCH

A LIGHT MATTE ON IT WITH A GLASS ART KIT.

ANY INFO APPRECIATED.

I DON'T FREAKIN' BELIEVE I HAVE TO DO THIS TO FIX

THE LATEST STUPIDITY FROM APPLE.

IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING, ISN'T IT.

ALWAYS A WART ON THE FACE.

ALWAYS A COCKROACH IN THE MASHED POTATOES.

THANKS A HELL OF A LOT

---gooddog

Can't you post properly?
  • Reply 178 of 362
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

One thing is for certain - everyone's depression will be over around January, once a-Whole and Cheney leave Washington.

Well, yeah.
  • Reply 179 of 362
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Can't you post properly?

I SECOND THAT WHAT IS WRONG WITH PROPER CAPITOLIZASHUN AND WHAT IS WORNG WITH NOT POSTING ANGRY CENTLESS RANTS?!?

ugh.

anyway, great update Apple! Great GPU, great CPU. Keep those killer products coming, Apple.
  • Reply 180 of 362
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm now eating crow for stating that these MUST be Montevina based on the FSB and L2 Cache.

No need. You just didn't know about the 'back room' conniving.