Dell rumored to give MacBook Air a run for its money

Comments

• Reply 101 of 172
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

crappy MacMini hardware.

Agreed. The Mac Mini is a rip-off. But this isn't a discussion about the Mac Mini, it's a discussion about your continued lie that you're willing to pay £83 for OS X. If you're willing to pay £83 for OS X, do it already!

Quote:

£83 is a perfectly reasonable price I am willing to pay for the OS

This is clearly a lie. Why do you need to add the caveat that OS X is only worth £83 if you don't have to hack it? And as I said, you could hack your PC to make it compatible with OS X rather than vice-versa.
  • Reply 102 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Agreed. The Mac Mini is a rip-off. But this isn't a discussion about the Mac Mini, it's a discussion about your continued lie that you're willing to pay £83 for OS X. If you're willing to pay £83 for OS X, do it already!

This is clearly a lie. Why do you need to add the caveat that OS X is only worth £83 if you don't have to hack it? And as I said, you could hack your PC to make it compatible with OS X rather than vice-versa.

I'm not entirely convinced why you're sure that it's a lie that I would pay £83 for OSX.

When I pay £75 for Windows Vista, there are certain benefits. I can install and run the software without having to manipulate my hardware or software to 'trick' the software to install. I can also install updates without having to mess with hacks and cracks.

When I pay £83 for OSX, I get no such benefit, as I still have to hack my hardware/software to be able to install the OS, and I still have to hack things to be able to install updates. Why should I pay £83 for this 'priviledge' when I can get this very same experience for free?

The very second I can install, run and update the £83 OSX the same way I can do with £75 Vista, I am there with my credit card. I would take absolutely no pleasure from messing on with hacks and cracks for OSX, but Apple have left me with no choice as their other options are not accpetable to me.
  • Reply 103 of 172
    Quote:

Why should I pay £83 for this 'priviledge' when I can get this very same experience for free?

Why pay for anything when you can get it for free by stealing it?

You really are an idiot if you can't see your argument boils down to the above. You wouldn't be paying £83 for the "privilege" of having to hack it, you'd be paying £83 for the privilege of owning it rather than stealing it.

I continue to state that it's a lie that you're willing to pay £83 for OS X, because you could pay £83 for OS X but you choose not to.
  • Reply 104 of 172
    Quote:

Yes I'm happy to agree with that. No complaints then when people hack OSX since Apple have no intention of selling it stand alone anyway

Basically the whole philosophy is the same as those who say they will only buy from the iTunes music store when certain conditions they want are met. The net result from this is this...

The conditions are met and the customer pays for the product.

The conditions aren't met and the customer doesn't acquire the product.

The conditions aren't met and the customer does acquire the product, but without paying.

So if the customers conditions aren't met, the customer hasn't really lost much, as they can probably still acquire the product. The biggest loser is the body that is selling the product, as they have missed a potential sale.

So, if Apple don't sell me the product I want, I can quite easily still acquire and use it without having paid a penny for it. Who loses? Apple.

I will not buy a Ferrari until certain conditions are met (basically until they cost a fraction of what they do). The net result from this is this...

The conditions are met and I (the customer) pay for the product.

The conditions aren't met and I (the customer) don't acquire the product.

The conditions aren't met and I (the customer) acquire the product, but without paying.

If my conditions are not met, I haven't lost much (or anything really) and I can probably still acquire the product (as in, stealing it).

It amazes me how you don't see how wrong this is. Just because its a piece of software and not a multi-thousand dollar car, doesn't make it any less wrong.

Who loses? Apple. Exactly, that is the whole point. You get something you are NOT entitled to, and Apple loses something it IS entitled to.
  • Reply 105 of 172
    Quote:

Why pay for anything when you can get it for free by stealing it?

You really are an idiot if you can't see your argument boils down to the above.

I continue to state that it's a lie that you're willing to pay £83 for OS X, because you could pay £83 for OS X but you choose not to.

But paying £83 in this instance gains me NOTHING. I don't get a legal copy of OSX, I don't get a copy of OSX that's any easier to install. I'd have paid £83 for NOTHING. If I was paying £83 for SOMETHING, there would be no problem at all.
  • Reply 106 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post

I will not buy a Ferrari until certain conditions are met (basically until they cost a fraction of what they do). The net result from this is this...

The conditions are met and I (the customer) pay for the product.

The conditions aren't met and I (the customer) don't acquire the product.

The conditions aren't met and I (the customer) acquire the product, but without paying.

If my conditions are not met, I haven't lost much (or anything really) and I can probably still acquire the product (as in, stealing it).

It amazes me how you don't see how wrong this is. Just because its a piece of software and not a multi-thousand dollar car, doesn't make it any less wrong.

Who loses? Apple. Exactly, that is the whole point. You get something you are NOT entitled to, and Apple loses something it IS entitled to.

The philoshy *is* completely different when it comes to software though. If you steal a Ferrari, you are physically taking it from one person, which means they are no longer able to use it. If you steal a bit of software, it doesn't mean the original owner is no longer able to use it as they still have the disk, product code, key code etc etc. This makes it doubly important for a software product to prove its worth.

And the solution to this? Sell me the OS for £83 that I can install on ANY hardware I choose. Problem solved
  • Reply 107 of 172
    Quote:

I don't get a legal copy of OSX

Highly debatable. I don't know if a EULA has ever been tested in a UK court.

Quote:

I'd have paid £83 for NOTHING.

No, you'd have paid £83 for OS X instead of £0 for OS X.

Quote:

If I was paying £83 for SOMETHING, there would be no problem at all.

OK! Great! Well, go ahead then. Until you do, you are a liar and a thief.
  • Reply 108 of 172
    Quote:

The philoshy *is* completely different when it comes to software though. If you steal a Ferrari, you are physically taking it from one person, which means they are no longer able to use it. If you steal a bit of software, it doesn't mean the original owner is no longer able to use it as they still have the disk, product code, key code etc etc. This makes it doubly important for a software product to prove its worth.

And the solution to this? Sell me the OS for £83 that I can install on ANY hardware I choose. Problem solved

The philosophy is not different one single bit. It's stealing, end of story. You can justify it all you want, but you're still a thief with a complete lack of morals.
  • Reply 109 of 172
    Quote:

Highly debatable. I don't know if a EULA has ever been tested in a UK court.

No, you'd have paid £83 for OS X instead of £0 for OS X.

OK! Great! Well, go ahead then. Until you do, you are a liar and a thief.

I'd have paid £83 for a license and DVD that I couldn't install on my computer. To me that sounds like paying £83 for nothing, since I'd have a useless DVD and license I could do nothing with,

As I have proven by purchasing Windows XP and Vista, I am willing to pay the money if the product offers me what I want. My wants are fairly simple really - I want to be able to install and run the software legally, without having to hack or patch it to make it run on my hardware. If I can't do that, it's fairly simple, the company will not get my money.

Quote:

The philosophy is not different one single bit. It's stealing, end of story. You can justify it all you want, but you're still a thief with a complete lack of morals.

You're rather jumping to conclusions there by thinking that what I am saying is perfecly possible is what I have actually done. It's perfectly possible to steal Windows XP and Vista, but I have paid good money for these products.
  • Reply 110 of 172
    Quote:

I'd have paid £83 for a license and DVD that I couldn't install on my computer. To me that sounds like paying £83 for nothing, since I'd have a useless DVD and license I could do nothing with,

As I have proven by purchasing Windows XP and Vista, I am willing to pay the money if the product offers me what I want. My wants are fairly simple really - I want to be able to install and run the software legally, without having to hack or patch it to make it run on my hardware. If I can't do that, it's fairly simple, the company will not get my money.

You're rather jumping to conclusions there by thinking that what I am saying is perfecly possible is what I have actually done. It's perfectly possible to steal Windows XP and Vista, but I have paid good money for these products.

Backtracking now are we? Regardless of what you have or haven't done, you think it's right, which it is not, plain and simple. Apple does not deserve your money? Fine, but you do not deserve their product wihtout paying for it, end of story. Just give it up already.
  • Reply 111 of 172
    mrochester, you know that, at least in the near future, that apple will never release OS X for all computers. So really, you are putting up demands that you know won't be met to justify your theft.
  • Reply 112 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post

Backtracking now are we? Regardless of what you have or haven't done, you think it's right, which it is not, plain and simple. Apple does not deserve your money? Fine, but you do not deserve their product wihtout paying for it, end of story. Just give it up already.

It's a pity that the only mention of me using OSX on my PC is when Mr H suggested that I 'implied' that that was the case. This unfortunately isn't proof of anything.

I quite agree I don't deserve to use it, that doesn't mean I can't! But once again, that's Apple's loss.

Quote:

mrochester, you know that, at least in the near future, that apple will never release OS X for all computers. So really, you are putting up demands that you know won't be met to justify your theft.

Once again, apparently I'm a thief without any proof at all! The mind boggles.
  • Reply 113 of 172
    Quote:

It's a pity that the only mention of me using OSX on my PC is when Mr H suggested that I 'implied' that that was the case. This unfortunately isn't proof of anything.

I quite agree I don't deserve to use it, that doesn't mean I can't! But once again, that's Apple's loss.

Once again, apparently I'm a thief without any proof at all! The mind boggles.

You've done nothing but imply that you are either currently doing so, or plan to do so, the quintessence of which comes from this post

Quote:

So tell me, what does paying for it actually get me? Even if I pay for it I still have to hack it. So where is the incentive to actually pay for it? My choice is either...

Don't pay for it and hack it

Pay for it and hack it.

Which do you think I'm gonna choose?

Now you are just backtracking, and trying to play all innocent. Regardless of what you have or will do, you are the one arguing the point that what you are saying "could" be done is right, which is what you are being called out on. So, either just give it up, or stop sidestepping the actual argument.
  • Reply 114 of 172
    Quote:

It's not as far as I'm concerned. The customer is king! If Microsoft would only sell me Windows with their own very expensive hardware then I would not buy it. If I wanted to use it, I would use it all the same, it would be MSs loss for not selling me the product I demanded.

Well remember what apple did to let as apple users to run windows?

They didn't leave it for windows to release a new version of windows for apple, but instead they release boot camp and changed there hardware to fit windows better (intel) (although that wasn't so much to let people run windows better, but it fitted in with windows).

Maybe then Dell/any other pc manufactures could do the same to accustom there customers(you) better.
  • Reply 115 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

...The MBA's design isn't old, but it could probably use a small refresh to bring it in line with the Unibody MBP and MB. Mainly the glass screen and black trim...

I kind of like the fact that the Air has no glass screen and is pure aluminum. If anything I'd rather see more Air-like MacBooks than MacBook-like Airs.

A 14.1" Air would be really nice and might be possible within the current case or a very slightly larger one.

To do it really high-class, it could also have a 15" OLED screen. These have no backlight, so they are very think. It could then get closer to the edges. In theory, a 15", OLED Air would be only slightly bigger than the existing Air, yet also a bit thinner. It would be expensive, but it would rock.

But I digress. My point is that though I like the new MacBooks (I think the unibody thing is great, the one thing I'm not crazy about is the glass screen with the black edge. I see no point in it, and it's just too reflective, more than the MBA's glossy screen. I'm hoping it's a passing fad within Apple, brought on by iPhone fixation.

I have the original MBA, and I think that the current iteration with the 9400 chip, larger drive, and Penryn processor is just fantastic. I would not add the glass panda look.
  • Reply 116 of 172
    Quote:

Heck, I even paid £75 for Windows Vista. It might not be the best OS

Not the best OS? What is worse then vista (out of latest OS's)??

Quote:

but it sure as hell beats paying £391 for OSX running on crappy MacMini hardware. Paying £316 MORE for the Mac machine would get me OSX but far far slower hardware. As nice as OSX is, it's certainly not worth £316 more, PLUS the difference in cost of hardware.

Yeah but its not like you are paying £391 just to run OS???

You get a computer as well, and a bloody small one at that!!!
  • Reply 117 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Still beating on the Air, I see.

Don't own one, do you?

Still pushing on something that's just not selling, I see.

May I suggest going to the gym and then you'll maybe be able to lift something a trifle heavier yet much more powerful and portable?
  • Reply 118 of 172
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I love the MagSafe connector. I've yanked,tripped on it countless of times already and love the fact it pops right off. Should be standard on all laptops regardless of manufacturer. I've always tweaked the power ports on my previous laptops when plugged in. This alone is a good reason to buy.

My MBA is far superior to any laptop I've owned before. You seem to have a different set of criteria which determines the MBA as a failure. Based on my personal and every-day use of my MBA, I give it a 9 out of 10 as an ultralight mobile non-desktop-replacement computer. The metal chassis makes it built like a tank and I love holding it with one hand on the corner knowing I won't tweak the chassis like the cheapo plastic chassis most laptops are made from.

Is it perfect? No. Anyone that rates anything "perfect" has issues.

Do I miss the extra USB ports? I missed them for about a day and that was it.

Do I miss the lack of internal SuperDrive? No. I never use one on a laptop. The external got used a couple times to install WindowsXP and a couple programs and that was it.

Do I miss the replaceable battery? No. I never replaced the batteries on my old laptops either.

Do I miss the integrated ethernet? For a few days only. Wireless is everywhere for me and I usually end up breaking the ethernet port over time due to the cable being yanked in all directions. One less port failure. In my opinion, cables don't belong on laptops. I use the USB ethernet when absolutely necessary and this is very rare.

My colleagues and friends that also own MBA's have nothing but high-praise for them too. How can that be based on your direct statement???

So, either we're all wrong and delusional or you can say for certain after using YOUR MBA as often as we do, it fails horribly as an ultralight mobile non-desktop-replacement unit? How long have you owned yours to make such a direct statement? Our MBA's have been a pleasure to use.

I'm going out on a limb, but is it possible that maybe, just maybe the MBA was not built for you but for us?? Could it be? Oh the sadness!! Villagers revolt!!

YOu must be ultra clumsy if the "Mag safe connector " is the reason to own it.

Next time your video stalls during an Ichat or webcast - do tell us about it.

And sorry but it is still to large to fit in any case - unless you're circa 2005.

Of course you'all who bought, paid bid cu'ching for them, love them- would you admit otherwise?

I'm so glad it was built for you but unfortunately the sales have STALLED and no ones else is buying it -TOO BAD.

People who also bought the Edsel love it and also had a collector's item. Good for you.

For everyone else: MBA=YAWN.
  • Reply 119 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I spent six years working as a computer technician and I've repaired thousands of Dell computers, old and new, 'high-end' and introductory. They're crap. The XPS machines are certainly better, but they're still built with parts from the highest bidder, and they still have a depressing failure rate. And Dell's customer support is still inbred. At least the XPS towers are somewhat well designed and easy to take apart, though nothing like a Mac Pro. But they're every bit as huge.

There's a good reason why Dell has a terrible reputation among the people who actually build and repair computers. It isn't just a trend with them.

thats fantastic... I spent more than your 6 years working as a tech doing repairs including warranty work on many brands, including Dell and Apple. I've worked on some large contracts with MANY Dell machines, it took a few full time techs to do nothing but repair broken Dells all day every day onsite, but there were many many thousands of machines, and it was to be expected. I've worked on more than I ever cared to work on, and probably still will... I have met many who really don't like their job much, but they do it, so they somehow relate their negative feelings onto something else, such as the computer brand. Dell makes some awesome computers, but yes I admitted a lot of their "cheap" stuff is made poorly, but that's not all of their systems. Many of their higher end desktops, workstations, and servers are awesome machines all over, and Apple hasn't gotten even close to competing with single solutions...

I just like how your post assumes, the way you wrote it, that I just was saying things and had no experience in the matter... And you site the mac Pro as easy to take apart? holy crap... easy to remove a side panel maybe... but I can strip out and replace every single part in the case in most every Dell twice as fast as a Mac Pro... they are made to be much easier to work on. If you go back to some of their older designs (and a few current ones) its even faster... that's not even getting into laptops... one of our best mac techs (who is faster than me) changed out a motherboard in a single Macbook Pro in the same time I got 3 switched out in Dell laptops...

As for customer support, sadly for the all over, Apple is no better. People rate them higher, because they are happier overall, not because their support is actually better. You have to take into account everything, not just if the tech on the phone couldn't help you. How about Apple not being able to help, so they make you mail your computer off for 2 weeks, or drive 300 miles one way to get to an Apple Store, whereas Dell sends out a person to your house/business the next day or two...
  • Reply 120 of 172
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I Only true to an extent when you compare very high-end computers. Certain common items like the processor are universal, of course, but even components like RAM tend to be much cheaper and less reliable in your typical HP, Gateway, Dell. Motherboards are often custom-designed for the Apple computers and special capabilities are implemented well. What really sets the two apart, though, is the degree to which Apples are carefully designed and tested. You rarely see the same sort of reliability in another system. Buy your family members home-made computers and you'll start to see the difference here.

Apple certainly spends a lot of resources designing and engineering the shells and internal structure, but the vast majority of the internal components in a Macbook or Macbook Pro are not exclusive to Apple and not even premium parts. Not just the CPU, I'm talking about the motherboard, supporting chipsets like the cypress USB Controllers, Realtek Audio, 3rd party bluetooth and WiFi , the SDRAM, the harddrives, the display panel, etc. And I'm not sure what you mean by "special capabilities" considering the Macbook doesn't even have FW400, eSATA, Expresscard, SD/CF card reader, built-in 3G broadband, and other standard items on upscale Dell or Sony laptops.

When you are attempting to compare laptops from the manufacturers, you need to make sure you are comparing models at similar price points. I can't speak for the $500 bargain bin, but decently priced Dell XPS and Precision laptops use top-shelf components like 1920x1200 LED screens (even in 15"), quad-core processors, eSATA, etc.