Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

Comments

• Reply 141 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plum1030 View Post

I've already backdated to 3. Can't stand the tabs on top plus you can't close inactive tabs without first switching to it. I may have to move to firefox as much as i hate it.

This is totally possible in the Mac version. Not sure about the Windows one.
  • Reply 142 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

On XP, how do I force Safari to open all links in a new Tab rather than a new window?

Same problem here (on XP). Don't know the answer.
  • Reply 143 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I immediately went to Operas web site and there is nothing I can find that mentions Acid 3. A search of their site fails to do anything. I would have assumed Opera passes Acid 3 in it's shipping version by now.

From the Wikipedia page it looks like Opera has still only received a 100/100 on an Alpha developers preview, which I assume is an internal build. But getting a 100/100 on Acid3 does not mean you have passed. You also have to render the page pixel-by-pixel perfectly and each test has to complete within a set time limit. The latter seems to be the hardest part to achieve. I know WebKit struggled with some of the tests for quite some time after the initial race between Presto and WebKit to get a perfect rendering score was over. It's like being able to get a perfect score on your SATs but if you need more time that alloted to do so then you ultimately fail. I'm glad that Hickson made time a factor for the test. I look for forward to Acid4. PS: To the chagrin of the Presto team I think it was the WebKit team that found the error Acid3 that brought everyone's score down by one right after Opera passed. I also recall the Gecko team crying foul on the WebKit team for coding in an unethical or wrong or something way. I didn't really know what the Gecko team's problem was.
  • Reply 144 of 278
    Quote:

I've already backdated to 3. Can't stand the tabs on top plus you can't close inactive tabs without first switching to it. I may have to move to firefox as much as i hate it.

[1] There as a simple Terminal command to put the tabs back

[2] Hover over the tab you want to close to get the close icon

This is a beta not the final version. Feedback should go to Apple.
  • Reply 145 of 278
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

Interesting that Apple mentioned "built-in Firewire" since there is no FW included on the new MB. I don't think FW is required for Safari... but who does use FW for Safari? I think PR need to be more careful what to say. :P

No. "G3 with built-in firewire" easily identifies which of the old iMac G3s will work. I think these are the slot-load ones but "built-in firewire" is as descriptive.
  • Reply 146 of 278
    Another way to think of the tabs:

The old titlebar, aside from about an inch on one end, was devoid of any useful function (not counting double-clicking to minimize, which still works). Now, instead of taking up screen real estate with the tab bar and titlebar, Safari 4 essentially gives us multiple selectable titlebars in one window. Kim kap sol's oft-quoted complaints are factually incorrect, so aside from the very subjective argument of "but they're ugly!", there's not that much wrong with 'em. The HIG is, in most cases, a valuable touchstone to have, but it shouldn't be the be-all and end-all just because it's there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

I hope the opposite, in fact I feel so strongly against this move, not only did I just write a feedback concerning this tweak, but also reinstalled safari 3 on my windows machine for its far more visually pleasing appearance. (A lot of animations are been abandoned by Safari 4 beta for windows, which is ludicrous also, now it's just a mediocre WebKit browser for windows with a mediocre interface, but without plug-ins. Well done, Apple)

[Windows XP's Luna is so outdated it looks ridiculous to say at least, especially the default bright blue theme; and Aero's window bezel tend to drive me crazy, not to mention the unnecessary transparent title bar (combined with Safari's new tabs position, seriously take the word messed-up to a new level ). BTW Win7 manage to make things worse somehow.]

OS X's marble on the other hand is a very good looking, un-intrusive UI kit, I would prefer more of these or the likings come to the windows world, screw the native UI of windows!!!

Pretty much everything you said there is grumbling about how god-awful Windows looks in general. If you like the stylings of Aqua that much, throw WindowBlinds on your PC and go to town. It is not Apple's responsibility to make a Windows application (even theirs) look like an application from a different OS (as proud as they might be of their own OS and its UI). The more native appearance on Windows is a plus, not a minus, because it doesn't stick out based on visual glitz in the window dressing (if you can refer to gray gradients as "glitz" on an OS that normally bludgeons you with neon titlebars), but instead sticks out based on its own merits as a web browser. Safari is a web browser, not a Get A Mac ad — at least not until you realize how nice it is, and that's as far as it should go.

[disclaimer]All of the above = IMO[/disclaimer]

Edit: I do miss the progress bar terribly, though, and hope they bring it back. Looking at it gives me an idea of whether a page is successfully loading or not, without having to wait forever for an error page to come up. Into the feedback bin she goes.
  • Reply 147 of 278
    seems slower to me too, and why has the progress bar gone?
  • Reply 148 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

seems slower to me too, and why has the progress bar gone?

That's interesting, I hadn't realized that it was missing until you mentioned it.. I wonder if it will be included in the final version. I get a mixed bag when it comes to load times. Some pages show up almost immediately and others.. not so much.
  • Reply 149 of 278
    tabs on the top seem weird in windows, they are absolutely natural in mac os, the application menu is anyway above them, no, i wouldn't switch it back into safary 3 style. terrific coverflow view...

khm... thanks, apple. i believe i finally got the browser i'm gonna love...
  • Reply 150 of 278
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

.... I get a mixed bag when it comes to load times. Some pages show up almost immediately and others.. not so much.

That's what I'm finding as well the more I use S4.

Ars and Anandtech load at blistering fast speed. Other sites seem about the same as S3.

I'm at work and my internet connection here isn't as good as at home. I'm curious how S4 does when I get home.
  • Reply 151 of 278
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Oh, for crying out loud. Ask a simple question and get a pedantic lesson on what "officially supported" means. Let's get something else straight. Safari can't fill in user names and passwords on all sites. If I want to use very strong and thus difficult to remember passwords, Safari's autofill won't work on those sites and I'm forced to go look up the passwords. Hence, 1Password. Once Safari autofill works everywhere, then you can talk about how Safari doesn't need to support this or that.

Thank you. Just what I needed.

My point is simply that its not Safari that 'breaks' 1Password. If someone is using input manager to obtain functionality (not supported by Apple) instead of Plugin APIs, then its the calling app that 'broke', not Safari that 'broke it'.

I make the point not to be 'pedantic', but simply because its sounds too much like iPhone jailbroke folks who blame Apple when an update 'breaks' their favorite hack. Sorry, but its the hack that's at fault, not Apple.
  • Reply 152 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

tabs on the top seem weird in windows, they are absolutely natural in mac os, the application menu is anyway above them, no, i wouldn't switch it back into safary 3 style. terrific coverflow view...

khm... thanks, apple. i believe i finally got the browser i'm gonna love...

It's weird, I use tabs in Vista but not in OS X at home. Even with the "Tabs on Top" feature, it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the relatively clean 3.x Safari. Sadly, while I hate the organization of IE7 as a browser, the tabs are exactly as they should be for usability: right in the middle of the window, below the address bar, and promient. It's incrementally better than before for Safari, but like I said, I think IE takes it for tabbed browsing.
  • Reply 153 of 278
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Anyone have a link for CSS 3 in action? I'm curious about the animations and reflections especially...
  • Reply 154 of 278
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:

I don't know if you are referring to the Windows version, otherwise there is a [x] on the left side of the tab you want to close when you mouse over to it.
  • Reply 155 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Thanks, I thought that was oddly gone too. I think that I, like many others think that the Menu bar was removed in favour of only the Sprocket icon. You have to Show Menu Bar before you can see the Windows drop down menu to see Merge All Windows. Frankly, I like not having the Menu Bar so having the option to Merge All Windows within the Sprocket icon of even as a right-click on the Tab Bar would be ideal.

I was assuming you were on a Mac also, where the menu bar never disappears. Thus my confusion.
  • Reply 156 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Anyone have a link for CSS 3 in action? I'm curious about the animations and reflections especially...

Below are two postings from the WebKit official blog. Note: The second link will require you to click on the item to go to a page that will show the CSS in action. They all work with Safari 4 and Safari for the iPhone.
  • Reply 157 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Here:

http://webkit.org/blog-files/leaves/index.html

http://webkit.org/blog-files/bounce.html

http://webkit.org/blog-files/pulse.html

Edit: too late
  • Reply 158 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaurjyh View Post

Hey guys, is it me or do u guys feel that safari's active window colour shade is a bit less grey than the overall system? Cos now its hard to distinguish which window is the open one..

Yep they have the color scheme for the tabs reversed.
  • Reply 159 of 278
    Very nice.

How come no beta tester has ever thought to implement a way to sort the bookmarks,

like Firefox does since ages ?

Does Apple, so clever in so many things, suggest that I should sort manually my 1200 + bookmarks (and a dozen more every month) ?

A joke.

I'll keep Firefox 3.
  • Reply 160 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Ah...I guess that explains why the "Hide Tab Bar" option is still in the View menu. Still...why is it there is there's no way to opt out of this madness without resorting to the CLI?

If you do not like the CLI you could just edit the .plist file.