• Reply 121 of 126
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

An app can cost up to$999.

I'd say it's on case-by-case basis.

Quote:

Everyone has to license the maps from just a very few companies who do that work. They have to make money from it. It costs a lot to do this, and keep it up to date.

Me too. It's always revolting to give yet more 100 eur out again just because they're always in reconstruction, business moves (those damn gas stations!), and modifying their itineraries.
  • Reply 122 of 126
    Quote:

No, because you still have to uninstall the app. When you remove those flash cards with apps and data on them, the devices get confused, and often require you to put them back. It's not that simple.

No, no. At least, not always. Everything may be on CF or on internal flash memory.
  • Reply 123 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

No, no. At least, not always. Everything may be on CF or on internal flash memory.

I didn't say always. But I've seen more than a few phones with removable cards that lost access to programs and data once a different flash card was installed, and then the first was put back. It seems that sometimes the directory gets confused.

And at any rate, having two smaller cards means you have to change cards to access all of your stuff, meaning that you have to carry all of them around with you with the chance they may get damaged or lost. I've seen that happen too.
  • Reply 124 of 126
    Quote:

And at any rate, having two smaller cards means you have to change cards to access all of your stuff, meaning that you have to carry all of them around with you with the chance they may get damaged or lost. I've seen that happen too.

Khm... You, surely, happen to insert that your CF or SD card in your handset, more precisely you keep on CF card maps which you don't need oftenly. And consistent frequently used set of maps is on the internal flash of your GPS or even on HD of LifeDrive.

You don't lose thus maps you've once bought. And you can manage efficiently enough your set of maps.
  • Reply 125 of 126
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Khm... You, surely, happen to insert that your CF or SD card in your handset, more precisely you keep on CF card maps which you don't need oftenly. And consistent frequently used set of maps is on the internal flash of your GPS or even on HD of LifeDrive.

You don't lose thus maps you've once bought. And you can manage efficiently enough your set of maps.

In theory, that's fine. But as I said, it doesn't always work out in practice.

My Treo 700p would get confused when I replaced my card. My daughter's LG used to as well, and a friends N95 would also have problems at times. It's not a slam dunk.
  • Reply 126 of 126
    Quote:

In theory, that's fine. But as I said, it doesn't always work out in practice.

There is some practice behind, nevertheless. TomTom worked from HD of LifeDrive.